When you call, mention priority code 143N-2ZD5

Rating and Reviews: FireStudio Project

Record 8 mic channels at up to 96 kHz/24-bit resolution! This 10x10 FireWire interface also provides 8 analog outs, S/PDIF digital I/O, MIDI I/O and more.

"Firestudio Project is the SHIZNIT" submitted December 11, 2007

Overall
Sound: Very beefy sounding preamps. Not noisy like my old M Audio. I'm very happy with the sound I'm getting. Feature: Love the meters. They really help you to see whats happening. The built in software mixer is also a huge help. I did a session with a four piece band and was able to send every musician a separate headphone mix. Kind of wish it had ADAT inputs but then again that's what the other Firestudio is for. Ease of Use: Installation took about 15 minutes. I have a PC (Pentium 4/3gHz) and it sync'd up in a few seconds and I was recording within 20 minutes. Quality: The knobs feel sturdy and I love how they are detented as well. The other nice touch is no wall wart. This unit looks amazing in my rack. Value: It's simply the best interface that you can buy below an RME that costs twice as much (TRUST ME I'VE TRIED THEM ALL). Manufacturer Support: I called Presonus because I was missing a serial number in my software bundle. They were very cool about it. I haven't had any other reasons to call but they seemed to be easy to reach. The Wow Factor: Great metering and it looks sexy in my rack. Overall: I think my search for interfaces is done. This one is great.
76 of 81 people (93.83%) found this review helpful. Did you?

"Field recording" submitted September 4, 2012

By Billy Smith in Roseburg, OR
Musical Background: Live Video production since 1999
Music Style: All... Mostly Rock, though...
Overall: This unit works great for live field recording via laptop. I plan on buying 2 - 3 more units soon...!

"Buy this. You won't reget it." submitted June 24, 2008

Overall
Sound: Preamps have plenty of gain and I love the control console software. I use it for everything from recording drums to vocals and haven't found anything that it sounds bad on yet. Feature: I love the Control Console software. It is so nice to be able to give each of my band members their own headphone mix. I only wish that you could chain 2 of them together but then again I may upgrade to the Firestudio2626 for more inputs. Ease of Use: Installed perfectly on my MacBook Pro using Cubase. Quality: Solid and chunky feeling. Thank God for now wall wart!! Value: I tried every interface around this pricepoint and this is by far the best for the money. Really, I think it is better than many others that are more expensive. Don't mess around with USB. Get the Firestudio Project! Manufacturer Support: Haven't had to call so I guess that's good!But I have heard their support is really good. The Wow Factor: Super nice meters. The blue lights are definitely sexy. Presonus makes nice looking stuff that sounds great. Overall: I'm not one for usually giving rave reviews but I have to say that this computer interface has made recording really easy and fun again. I was so sick of driver problems and crappy sounding preamps. This thing sounds huge. I'm getting sounds out of this that really make my home studio sound like it was recorded at a big facility.
22 of 24 people (91.67%) found this review helpful. Did you?

"Smart interface" submitted February 11, 2014

By Michael Henningsen in Cedar Crest, NM
Overall
Musical Background: 30 years semi-pro; play in bands; play bass, guitar and keyboards; own a home studio where I record myself and other artists for
Music Style: Rock, classic rock, blues, blues rock, metal
Overall: Don't you just love it when stuff works like it's supposed to right out of the box? Bought this Presonus Firestudio Project interface as a second interface so I could record larger bands in my home studio. Daisy chaining the interfaces was a matter of connecting them with a firewire cable - no fuss, no drivers to download or complicated protocol to follow. Just plug and play! The preamps are pristine and use couldn't be any more straightforward.

"Great for the price but takes a lot of patience sometimes" submitted December 10, 2009

By a customer from stny.rr.com
Musical Background: Active musician, studio
Music Style: Mainly metal but jazz and blues also
Sound: The preamps in this are well worth the money. Very transparent and pretty hot. Feature: The best features for the money hands down. The problem is getting them all to work when you want them to. Driver issues account for most of that though so maybe it should'nt be in this column. Ease of Use: The manual is pretty sketchy on many of the advanced features but for basic stuff its pretty much plug and play Quality: Its built pretty solid. It does run a little hot though but in two years it hasn't had any problems, I would make sure it has good ventilation though. Value: In this price range this is about the best value out there Manufacturer Support: Support is pretty slow.If you can get through to a tech they are all very helpful as far as they can go but emails are rarely answered in my experience. That could be just me though The Wow Factor: If it weren't for the constant and long running driver issues this would be a ten. Overall: On paper this unit is far and away the best in its class but Ive lost some loyalty to presonus over the driver issues with this. How can you sell a product that advertises features that wont work and still have these problems two years later. That's marketing gone wild. Maybe there's a video in that.

"The buck stops here!" submitted September 29, 2013

By Robbe Zappa in Denver, CO
Musical Background: Guitar, bass, keyboards and vocals 33 years
Music Style: Rock, hard rock, guitar instrumental rock
Overall: Easy to use, just the right amount of features (and then some), professional quality, well thought out design and quick to recording without a bunch of hassle. As an Alesis io26 recovering user this is a god sent. 12 steps to complete serenity!! I could go on forever but the bottom line is pro quality, easy to use and the perfect amount of I/O and adjustments.

"Bought two!" submitted April 19, 2012

By Charles C in Madison Heights, MI
Overall
Musical Background: 20+ years playing guitar, bass, drums, etc.
Music Style: Rock, hip-hop, metal.
Overall: Excellent piece of gear. This was an upgrade for me and I couldn't have asked for more. Super clean and lots of headroom.

"Great bundled software package. Customers in dry climates or those whith static electricity may have issues with the unit freezi" submitted January 25, 2011

Musical Background: Active musician, Recording Engineer
Music Style: Rock, Jazz
Sound: Sounds good. Feature: Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 has more features at the same price point. Included Studio One Artist software is the best I have seen bundled with any audio interface. Ease of Use: Easy to use. Quality: I had some static electricity issues in the dry climate I live in. (Desert Southwest) Technical support was hard to get a hold of and couldn't figure out the problem after sending the unit in 3 times. Value: Other products have more features at the same price point. Bundled software is the best I have seen with any audio interface. Manufacturer Support: I had some static electricity issues in the dry climate I live in. (Desert Southwest) Technical support was hard to get a hold of and couldn't figure out the problem after sending the unit in 3 times. The Wow Factor: Good look, nice metal chassis. Overall: I had some static electricity issues in the dry climate I live in. (Desert Southwest) I replaced it with a Saffire Pro 40 and have had good results.

"Why Haven't You Bought This YET?!?" submitted January 21, 2011

Musical Background: Active Musician / Aspiring Record Producer
Music Style: Alt. Rock, Metal, Djent, Progressive
Sound: The Sound produced by this unit is UNBELIEVABLE for the price! Response is instantaneous! Everyone I've talked to in person and on all the forums love this thing! Feature: Pretty straight forward like the rest of the units out there. Very clean and handy layout and design! Ease of Use: I had troubles with a firewire pci card i bought in anticipation of its delivery... I would say if you dont have a firewire port on your computer.... don't just turn down this unit. Read the online manual and the amazing people at presonus provide you with a thorough list of compatible Firewire PCI card alternatives! Presonus is amazing! Quality: Built like a TANK! Super solid construct! Value: You on a budget? but want an interface with tons of expandablity?!? Look no further! Seriously! Your monotonous internet research is over! Manufacturer Support: Presonus customer support and online forums are UNMATCHED! Seriously i felt like a prince through the entire process! I'd buy this product all over again knowing such a great company backs it! The Wow Factor: Heard great things said and produced. Saw even more amazing things in person! Honestly, best purchase yet! Overall: Great product, great service, great company, GREAT BUY! The software included ( Presonus Studio One Artist ) is really awesome and user friendly, lacks some VST support unless you upgrade.... only CON in this review! Given the minor set back, I'd still do it all again!

"You can buy a very good pci solution to audio recording for the money that a Firestudio costs, without any of the headache of t" submitted November 11, 2008

Music Style: Anything and everything
Sound: When the product works, which is almost never, the sound is excellent. Feature: The features are great. That's why I bought the unit. Ease of Use: Nice straight forward design. Quality: The product while mechanically well designed is functionally useless due to constant driver issues. Value: I simply would not ever buy another Presonus product. This has been a horrible experience. I spent several months scouring over the features of everything available for under $1,000. So when I decided on the Firestudio project, I was ready to go. Unfortunately the Firestudio isn't. Manufacturer Support: The problem isn't that they won't try to help you, but that they simply can't fix most of the problems. The Wow Factor: If this box worked, it would be a really good deal. But the drivers are just awful. Overall: I'm giving up on it now. I went through a couple of months of heartache with the Firestudio when I first bought it in 07, before they finally released a driver that worked. But as soon as Windows released SP3, the Firestudio started getting constant dropouts. The newest driver still does not address that problem. And Presonus deletes most of the complaint threads in their forum. Check back in a couple of months and they will be gone. Make your own opinion on why they do that.
12 of 17 people (70.59%) found this review helpful. Did you?

"PreSonus Break (got it? BOOOOOO!)" submitted February 4, 2008

Musical Background: A lot but not nearly enough, active
Music Style: That one yep...
Sound: That's what's a shame here, it sounds truly amazing, if you're willing to gamble 500$ and see if you'll have any problems ...... *diabolical laughter* We bought 2 FSP, 1 for an iMac (newer version) and a PC (with TI firewire chipset for those that are interested)... It sure sounded awesome on the PC...at the beginning. And the iMac well it never got higher than 44 without starting to start poppin and clickin constantly... Feature: I had a very bad experience, but I'll try to at least review the features I could try as they were when they were working fine (can't say I'm not trying here PreSonus People) ++Extra points for being able to use it as pres without a computer. Great quality pres truly reveal the sound of any mics, but can sound sterile (I DO like it better that way, but some people expect a "warmer" sound when recording, I enjoy having more headroom for effects and such). Good headphone amp & volume control. I like the tiny but noticable-just-by-feeling 1 db increments on the trim knobs also to be fair instead of the usual loose knobs. More juice in there than any vocalist or guitar player ever needs. - - I wish the software mixer was better designed, it's clumsy and unfriendly. Some features in it like the "safe modes" are unexplained if you do not read the manual like most people do. And for those that do read it like me, the features you wish were explained with a whole page are usually explained in one sentence... In the manual : "..this is where you select normal, safe1, safe2 or safe3 mode for increased latency buffer..." Huh increased by how much? What kind of buffer? A hardware buffer in the FSP or the driver one? Nobody had a clue over there on the forums either it seems... Ease of Use: And the problems start... Pluging it and playing at 44 is simple and goes fine usually on the iMac. We got pops, clicks etc on the iMac or MacBook right when we switched to anything but 44. See below for explanation. For the PC it worked fine until ome day the FireControl wasn't anywhere to be found on the computer. I reinstalled it and my PC would not boot anymore, just give me a blue screen whenever the FSP wasn't hooked to it. Not funny. Quality: Something that is not mentionned on Presonus website or anywhere stating their requirements for the FSP is that it cannot function right with the iMacs or MacBooks without something else. They blame it on a change Apple made to the firewire chipset used in those (true enough the Agere chipset is worse than the TI). However a similar item made by Presonus for just (of course)200$ more works fine with those (the FireStudio, without "Project" in it. Yes my friends, they make two entirely different products using the same name and added a suffix to the newer, cheaper knockoff to confuse us more into buying it.) Nevermind that this same product is OLDER than the FSP which if any of their theories were true would probably have more problems with the cheaper firewire chipsets, not the opposite... My theory? Great pres but bad sync hardware or drivers. Anyways, guess what, our Mac was a newer iMac and it started hiccuping every time we went higher than 44k. So we returned it. Then the pc one started acting funny. One day the mixer (FireControl)wasn't installed anymore.I went and reinstalled it. Ever since that it started giving me blue screens at reboot! And that was only when the FSP wasn't hooked to my pc on boot. I could wonder if this had something to do with driver, hardware & software quality because I tried other firewire audio interfaces and they work fine on my PC... Bottom line, that went back with his other friend at the shop. Now I'm looking for something new. I guess it deserves a 5 because it was awesome on the pc for the 2 weeks it worked. ROFL Value: After that day, which will forever be known in my life as "The Day I Made PreSonus Cry (cause I insulted it somehow)" I decided that I should go re-read that thread and see, maybe I had been hard on that guy. I'm banned but hey a lil hop on a proxy to cut & paste the thread which was now locked... Nope, nowhere in there I could find an insult... Now that lil forum twerp had given me enough motivation to write a nice little letter to send to the people at PreSonus. Explaining why I had returned two FSP I realized I should at least make it a thousand words letter since that's just how much they'll be losing in sales with me. I could be using it just for the pres, but not for iMac&MacBooks or PCs, really as soon as I uninstalled FireControl from my pc the second time the blue screens stopped, my firewire chipset in there is TI and works fine with many other audio interfaces. . . I just won't lose anymore time with it it's gone... Manufacturer Support: Now that was the icing on the cake. I started reading the forums at Presonus pretty much everyday for 2 weeks looking for iMac hope before losing faith and returning one of the two we bought. I started losing hope when I noticed the first post complaining about it was over 6 months ago (at FSP lauch) and there was still no solution advanced by PreSonus other than "complain to Apple". Some people reported that hooking a HD acting as a firewire "routed" the traffic better and solved their problem. Now that seemed like a starting point. While discussing that as a viable solution with other users on the forums an admin kept insisting that the Agere firewire chipset was crappy etc... Basically I agreed but also tried to logically prove a point to him and he banned me. Number one for unconstructive posting (to my defense he answered every one of my posts with two of his own, that thread was made of 10 posts he was the author of 6 no less that's being loud and overbearing, not constructive), number two my posts were negative (I guess stating the truth and wondering why nobody is scared for their jobs selling 500$ bricks is seen as negative lol. Of course I never said it in those words but really). But in a twist outta the Twilight Zone I was accused of Number Three! : insulting the company. Let me repeat this so everybody understands : these guys expect you to pay 500$ and not say a word if you hear popcorn baking over your recordings, cause that would be insulting to them. These guys are lucky they can't imagine how insulting paying for a 500$ doorstop is.Really. And I mean I never insulted PreSonus in any way. That lil power hungry weasel on the forums IS NOT PreSonus, and i did not even insult him. i just proved him wrong. That's what insulted him, the realization that they WERE in fact selling something that SHOULD work, DOESN'T work and WON'T work. And what that implied for him. The Wow Factor: I want it..far away from me lol... ...its sex appeal reminds me of an herpes-infested ex-girlfriend... Seriously ... *shivers* Overall: This product made it clear that not only it is bad, but that any purchase made from PreSonus (on my personal behalf, you'll see if you try, and it might go fine, here's to your luck:) would be insanity. They do not care about stating correct requirements hoping to make more sales and they don't even try to fix the problems to keep their sales. You cannot have it both ways : say you only need OSX 10.5 but once I buy it and am stuck with it tell me to go complain to Apple cause it's not your fault... Apple didn't tell me your product would work, you did... Then it stops working right on Windows?? Then I get banned for looking for solutions?? Test it if you get it. And I mean test the heck out of it and make sure you like it. Because if you keep it I wish you luck and I hope your experience with them doesn't go as sour. And if it does and you read this protect your investment and more importantly dohn't waste your time, life is too short to be squandered running after thieves that sold you 500$ bricks heheh. Maybe I wasted my time so you will not waste it too, but hey at least I got my money back so it's alright... And I still have that letter I wrote to them in my sent folder to make me laugh every now and then...
29 of 42 people (69.05%) found this review helpful. Did you?

"Absolutely Perfect :)" submitted March 1, 2008

By a customer from hotmail.co.uk
Overall
Musical Background: a bit of everything
Music Style: Heavy Metal, Death Metal, Rock, Acoustic, Spanish, Country and Dance
Sound: The sound is truly awsome, the preamps are super quiet. I was blown away with the sound when i got it, i was expecting pops, cracks, hisses and all that other stuff, but NOTHING !! its crystal clear and sounds awsome. I can record anything on it, ive got awsome sounding acoustic guiar, great sounding drums, clean guitar all the way through to death metal, it all sounds amazing. Feature: Id give this more than 10 !!!!! it comes with Cubase LE wich is pretty much perfect, Drumagog wich is awsome, ive not used the rest :P, but im sure there great. Ease of Use: It was SO easy !!!, the only thing is i had to get my mate round to fit the firewire card cause i didnt have one. But ones i plugged it in i just followed the instructions ( very easy steps ) and there i was recording straight away :) Obviously youve got to get used to cubase and drumagog etc... but its not hard at all and its all great fun. Quality: Excellent Quality. Value: You cant find anything better for the price and with all the shizz included you might aswell just buy it now !! Manufacturer Support: Havent neeeded it :) The Wow Factor: It loooks great in a rack :P, the only thing i dont like is the lack of colourful LED's hahaha :P but hey... its all goood :P Overall: I am EXTREMELY satisfied with the firestudio, i honestly couldnt of spent my money on anything better !! Its perfect. id recommend it to anyone :)

"Overall... the two systems compliment each other very well, I would not trade either one of them." submitted March 23, 2009

By a customer from frontiernet.net
Overall
Musical Background: Musician, Writer, Producer, Publisher, Live & Recoding Engineer
Music Style: Any & Open
Sound: It sounds fine but truly... it is hard for me to judge since I route everything though my Mackie board Feature: It does look great in the rack and most inputs are on the front. The knob dials on the front feel stiff because they are a click lock type instead of a smooth bearing type. I also appreciate the 16/16 I/O ADAT as I sometimes use ADAT in the studio. Ease of Use: Read the overall revue & you decide... Quality: Not like "wow", GOOD - You'll be happy. Manufacturer Support: If that's what you want to call it. It's more like KINDA-SORT OF BUT NOT REALLY Overall: Here's the story. I wanted to replace my E-MU 1820m,Awesome system but only 2 channels of inputs on front, non rack mount and only 8 I/O ADAT. I HAD plans to sell this unit. In order for the Firestudio to be hooked up I would have to purchase a separate PCI Fire wire card. After buying and installing two different factory recommended plug n play card the results were almost FATAL!!! WIN XP PRO did not plug and play, found proper drivers for PCI cards and both times the drivers tried to hijack my virtual memory and crash my system. this could be easily solved if Presonus would manufacture their own PCI cards and write their own drivers. I was forced to keep my E-MU because it has the only fire wire card that does not crash my system. In comparison the E-MU preamps are stronger than the Firestudio but its not an issue, I run a Mackie board to the inputs of either interfaces. It came with Cubase but I have been with Cakewalk since the beginning and now use Sonar Pro 6. When arming the track properties input source the Firestudio has a less confusing menu selection which by the way, both units will not operate side by side. Only when the Firestudio is powered up will it then override the E-MU master or in other words, with out powering down the E-MU it automatically becomes a slave the Firestudio. The zero latency has been great. It actually the other system.The patchbay ASIO panel would be more useful if it had a USER HELP MANUAL as an attachment button.I Have Not tried the ADAT transfer yet which is one of the issues I hope to correct. The E-MU system during ADAT transfer, the high frequencies would distort to Sonar, NOT GOOD. Overall... the two systems compliment each other very well, I would not trade either one of them.

"The worst piece of equipment I ever owned" submitted November 12, 2012

By Raul Selda
Overall
Musical Background: I've been playing music for the last 37 years and used various equipment from live sound to recording.
Music Style: Christian, acoustic and country
Overall: My first firestudio project I owned was a birthday gift for me on January 2009. After using it for eleven months, the unit failed to switch on. I gave it to the local dealer here in Dubai and after 9 months only they have given a new piece as a replacement. So no recording for 9 months and all my project stopped. I received the new unit but unfortunately it is not also ok. Out of the box, plugged to my PC and after few minutes I can see the meter flashing without even any mics or instrument in the inputs. The dealer is not anymore interested to entertain my complain. So I decided to use it only as a soundcard and use at least to listen through headphone. Now again the unit failed to switch on.....I suppose to buy M Audio but someone recommend to buy Presonus but I think it's a big mistake. I really feel sorry for my friends who spent money just to give this as a birthday gift.

"FireStudio Project has entered in a new dimension of Digital Audio Production. Thank You PreSonus." submitted February 1, 2008

Musical Background: Artist, Engineer, Producer and Musician
Music Style: Hip Hop, Soul, Classic, R&B, etc
Sound: Clean exhuberant sound. No let downs with PreSonus on this lil guy. Feature: Yeah, PreSonus really built this guy well, mixer is great the firewire connection is a blast and the XLR produce the cleanest sound I've heard so far in all my outboard equipments. Only fallback is, no ADAT!!! oh well, lets hope it comes out with an update that will support daisy chaining it. But until then, Im havin a blast using it. Ease of Use: It is quite easy to use and set up, but know what u are doing first before you begin your procedure. READ THE MANUAL FROM PAGE TO PAGE. and then begin you journey with the little guy. Quality: PreSonus was right when they said the XMAX's are the most high quality preamps you'll ever get at the price becuase even with a twenty dollar mic at radioshack, the sound that came from it was spectacular but sounds even 150% better with my M-Audio Solaris. Value: Worth ever penny. Manufacturer Support: None needed, except the support of the manual to set it up. Overall: It is practically the best firewire mixer and preamp you will find on the market.

"Stay clear of this unit unless you're a rocket scientist." submitted January 15, 2008

Overall
Sound: If I could get this thing to work, I could give a more accurate assessment of the sound. Feature: The knobs and meters all look great, but the problem is you have to be a computer genius to operate this thing. Ease of Use: As I said, be prepared to spend a lot of time and aggravation on this product. What they fail to tell you is that you have to have a specific Firewire card for it to interface with your computer. I've tried three different cards now. The first one worked, but it didn't agree with the Firestudio, and there were latency issues. I was told to get a Firewire card with a TI chipset. I've done that twice now, and my computer won't even see the Firestudio when I plug it in. I've had this for two months now, and have gotten no support or help from Presonus. Quality: I'd probably have more fun throwing it down a flight of stairs to see how well the plastic parts hold up. My only hope now is to unload this piece of garbage on some sucker who has a lot of time and patience on his hands, or is a computer genius. Value: I wouldn't pay 1/10 of what this thing sells for. Currently it's just taking up space in my studio. Manufacturer Support: They have not been helpful at all. The more reviews I read on this thing, the more I realize that a lot of people have gotten ripped of by this unit. They advertise it to be simple to set up and use, but they fail to disclose a lot of useful information that would have been good to have known ahead of time. The Wow Factor: I don't care what the thing looks like. I was really hoping it would live up to all the hype. I just wanted something with which I could record audio and midi without having to make 700 trips to the computer store. Overall: Don't buy this thing unless you have a lot of patience and free time, and aren't in a hurry to record your music.

"Worthless- can't record or playback at 96khz" submitted May 25, 2010

Music Style: everything
Sound: Hard to appreciate the sound when 96khz playback OR recording does not work, constantly skips and clicks. Basically worthless at this rate and new software updates have been useless Would work best as a coffee cup holder. 44.1khz works nicely. To make this product better, I would find a way to make it able to record/play at 96khz as advertised. Ease of Use: I have lots of experience with computers and software: Yet I Spent many days attempting repair without success. The frustration this device has caused me is much more than the money I have lost purchasing it. Quality: Can't record at the standard 96khz, would do well as a 500$ cup holder. Value: Worthless, would have not bought. This item does not compare to other 8 interfaces in its price range and is destroyed by even lower priced items. Would advise other people to stay away from this product, and presonus in general, as they would be much better off buying a similar or even lower priced item from one of the other audio interface companies. Manufacturer Support: Non existant. Take forever to answer, give you canned, automated like responses. Ignore the bulk of the message The Wow Factor: Nice exterior. Overall: Not satisfied since purchase. Doubt I will be able to recover the price of this item by selling it. If this was stolen or lost, I would give the theif a thumbs up as my insurance would pay for it all and I would be able to use that money towards an interface that can actually record 96khz and from a company that actually understands what tech support is.

When you call, mention priority code 143N-2ZD5. Llame Gratis en Español: 800-460-7976