When you call, mention priority code 15H9-S786

Rating and Reviews: ProCo Rat2 Distortion

Turn heads and shred faces with the Pro Co RAT2 Distortion Pedal. This Rat is radically different from any "distortion" you've ever heard before.

Overall

"The Rat has built a permanent nest in my pedalboard." submitted February 26, 2006

Musical Background: Occasionally gigging musician
Music Style: Post-Rock, Experimental, Shoegazer, Electronic
Sound: Great great sound, really crunchy and distinct. The amount of distortion can be set so low or so high that it can really be used for anything. I get crunchy overdrive out of this most of the time, but I will crank that knob and get some really heavy distortion that commands attention. Feature: 3 knobs & a footswitch, pretty standard, but it's all you'll need. Ease of Use: 3 knobs and a footswitch, you'll figure it out before you even start using it. Quality: this thing has been beaten to hell and it doesn't seem any worse for wear. it's a friggin tank. Value: wish it was like, 10 bucks cheaper, but whatever. The Wow Factor: it's a classic & an original and people keep getting new sounds from it in all sorts of musical genres. who the hell doesn't want it? Overall: one of only a few pieces of gear that have become essential to my setup. i could not play a gig without it.

"plug in, turn on, be a rockstar." submitted October 20, 2006

By a customer from ideacircus.com
Music Style: Rock, Metal - Doom & psych
Sound: Frigin great distortion, subtle, to very harsh. Melvins to Molly Hatchet. Full on old school rat sound. And true bypass to boot. I love it. I have a Big Muff, and this can mimic it as well, but another level of distortion that the Big Muff cannot seem to do. Feature: 3 knobs. Black. Excellent for blunt force trauma. Ease of Use: plug in, turn on, be a rockstar. Simple Pedal. Quality: Everything seems just fine. Well built and constructed. The battery wiring is a little jammed in this little box, that's the only issue I have. Value: I was looking for a little better price, but after noodle-ing with it for a bit, it's waaay worth the price. Manufacturer Support: Hopefully it won't be an issue. It's damn sturdy. The Wow Factor: I've been shopping for a nice distorion pedal for a while, and have done my homework. (The only good kind of homework.) Check it out. Overall: Need just a little dirt or a lot of sludge? It does both. Even good on Bass.

ProCo Rat2 Distortion Customer Review submitted November 26, 2011

Overall
Musical Background: 20 years of playing.
Music Style: United States
Sound: Before I get to anything else, I want to clear this up. Some people say that the new rats suck because they don't have the old chip in them. I'm saying this simply isn't true. The old ones are great and so are the new ones. So don't worry about that if you're on the fence about this pedal. This legend has a full range of great distortion sounds. From subtle to mighty. It's easy to tweek on the fly. It also works wonderfully with your guitars volume knob. I tend to leave it at a moderate distortion and clean it up when needed with my guitars volume. Feature: Minimal, but intuitive and functional controls with a broad sweep of possibilities. Ease of Use: It's super easy to use. Quality: Built like a tank. The bottom of the pedal makes it awkward to fit on a typical pedal board, but it's easy to work around with a little help from a google search. Value: Very affordable. Manufacturer Support: Haven't had to contact them, but Proco has an amazing and well known warranty / support. The Wow Factor: It's kinda legendary, and seen on many pedal boards through rock history.

"Wish i had my 80 dollars back" submitted November 19, 2007

By a customer from shsu.edu
Overall
Music Style: rock, reggae, country and BLUES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sound: The sound is definitely distinct. I have never played the old one but the lower distortion levels are good at best but the higher levels get way to wild with no sense of feed back or bottom end...if u cut the filter you will loose any bited on the high but will get a good distortion for power chords. I use it with a ts 808 tube screamer...when set up right with this pedal it does give a great blues sound( like stevie ray vaughan but slightly more distorted) Feature: simple. easy. appropriate would probably be the best way to describe it. Ease of Use: easy to turn on but to find to find the tone one might have to go hunting for it Quality: i have had no problem with it but the other reviews horrify my and really makes me wonder about the problems with the inputs Value: I have always been kinda dissapointed with my distorions tone(my clean is amazing b/c i have a twin reverb) and if i could get the right sound i would pay much more. For me it would be better to have the right sound and have to have 2 of the same pedals because of bad quality rather than own a tank that cant do anything right. For the price i am sure there is a better pedal available. Manufacturer Support: never had to use it but by the other reviews it sounds pretty crappy Overall: over all i am sure this distortion is decent for a stomp box but i would recomend looking elsewhere for the single fact of the sound, although i have read some really bad reviews about the quality but have had none of these issues myself

"SIMPLY AWESOME!" submitted November 7, 2006

Musical Background: Hobbyist, working with active musicians
Music Style: Grunge, Metal, Funk, Experimental.
Sound: Not loaded with feedback like the metal muff, nice nice sound at any level, I never get sick of it Feature: All you need. Ease of Use: Takes a bit of tweaking but after you found your setting its perfect! Quality: Durable as hell, small too. Value: Worth the price. Manufacturer Support: n/a The Wow Factor: I WANT IT, I OWN IT! Overall: It's the best i've ever dealt with

"BUY IT, USE IT, Be Happy. ;-)" submitted May 13, 2011

By a customer from stevenchappelle.com
Music Style: Classic Rock
Sound: Great distortion...can tweak it to get your sound. Feature: What else do you need...3 knobs...great sound. Ease of Use: Again...3 knobs. Quality: Nice, solid pedal. Value: Can't beat this distortion for this price. Manufacturer Support: Haven't had to use it. The Wow Factor: Just what I wanted...cool dark gray box...led light. I like it. ;-) Overall: I see people trash this box and say to get it modded and BLAH, BLAH, BLAH...and this from a man who has an analogman TS9/808 Tubescreamer...but this box is great the way it is. I've been playing for 47 years, since I was 15, and this box is great for CLASSIC ROCK. I front a Classic Rock cover band, and it's perfect on my pedal board.

ProCo Rat2 Distortion Customer Review submitted May 18, 2005

Overall
Sound: Different from other distortions, give you slight overdrive, to crunchy distortion, all the way to big muff pi harmonic distortion, very nice. Feature: true bypass, need i say more. Quality: Built like a tank, very solid, simple construction with few things to break Value: Most distortion pedals cost way more than this one, and the rat2 is just flat out better anyway. Manufacturer Support: N/A The Wow Factor: The letters glow in the dark, just a little feature that makes it different Overall: Love this pedal, once I get my own I will play it forever, and if that one is lost stolen or broken, I will immediately get another one.

"still got that sound.." submitted April 2, 2008

Overall
Musical Background: active gigging and recording musician
Music Style: many genres and methods from traditional to futuristic
Sound: my experience with the rat goes back to about 1989 when i got an old 1981, small logo sheet metal rat.. that was my sound for a long time, could get a lot of really superb harmonics and very thick distortion at low and high frequencies.. i sold it to my brother, who has made it a permanent fixture in his pedalboard and still sounds awesome.. i bought a rat2 recently, hoping to get that sound back, and this sounds like the old pedal i loved.. great news since i had thought that they sounded different since the old days. Feature: this pedal only came in a thick cardboard box, pretty minimal but not to worry because it could probably put a hole in concrete.. old school AC adapter plug on the pedal and no plug, reminds you of the old days but is different from most adaptor plugs on new pedals.. batteries is all i plan on using with this pedal as always, however. i am not an employee of proco, btw. Ease of Use: this pedal has an amazing range of dynamics, all accessible between the filter and distortion controls.. filter goes backwards so back it down to let more trebles through, same as old rat, which i like.. i like distortion which is why i like this pedal.. back off the distortion and you still have all this tone.. used with a wah pedal, even more tones can be had between the two filters of the pedals, there is no manual for this pedal, so you have to see what it will do, but results are always spectacular with old fender and marshall amps without overdrive channels. Quality: the old rat is still going 26 years on, and it looks like the new pedal is ready for another 26.. the warranty says "any excuse even abuse" if anything happens i'd put it to the test, but as i don't exactly play at the bottom of a swimming pool or a demolition derby, i still wouldn't mind taking it out every time i could. Value: this is not a lot of money for this kind of sound. Manufacturer Support: haven't invoked support yet for either pedal. The Wow Factor: i always wanted another rat.. missed out on opportunities to grab a reissue of the old pedal i had, but since i am getting my desired sounds from the new one i appreciate it more, and would get more than one.. i also dig how much more solid and compact the new pedal is. Overall: satisfied until it breaks, if it ever does, which would be easy to fix or replace.. this compares to a couple of other classic (made since the seventies) distortion units which i would use in case of pedal not able to be there, but i am pleased to have another one after so long without one and would wear this out.. it's my sound all over again, love it!

"Damn fine pedal." submitted February 28, 2005

Overall
Musical Background: I love music.
Music Style: Anything.
Sound: Nothing else can even come close to this type of distortion. The sound is so unique and...awesome! Haha, for some examples, listen to Foo Fighters. You'll notice how it can sound different whever you want. The song Stacked Actors shows how raunchy and sludgerock it can sound (really awesome) but Everlong, it's totally different, awesome none the less. This might sound stupid but, Jimmy Eat World. Their distortion is something I have always wanted but just couldn't quite get. I absolutely HATE that band now but their old album Clarity was AWESOME. Even if you don't like their old stuff, listen to them just to get a sense of this pedal's sound, it really is somethin'. Bands who use it, that I know of: Foo Fighters Jimmy Eat World (Tom Linton, Rythm) Krist Novoselic from Nirvana (Bass) The Melvins Blur Spineshank Pink Floyd If you want a longer list go to guitargeek.com and check it out. Feature: It's got what you need to make it sound awesome. Quality: Built like a brick house. Value: You can't get this sound from anything else. Manufacturer Support: You won't need it. The Wow Factor: Hot. Overall: Sweet.

"No doubt about it...this is the pedal to own!" submitted July 12, 2007

Music Style: Classic Rock, Blues
Sound: I heard a guitarist use one when he auditioned for the band. It sounded good, so I got one 3 days ago for zz...plugged it into my blues deluxe at rehearsal...and was blown away. I've been using a POD for effects, but unless I need something exotic, from today forward, the RAT is the only pedal I'm using. Feature: The filter knob lets me dial in whatever sound I need. What else is there to say...volume and distortion and filter...so simple I even understand it. Ease of Use: Like I said above, simple, simple, and simple. Quality: I was impressed when it was delivered. Even when in the box, it felt like it was built like a tank. This pedal is gig ready to rock. Value: I've been looking around at other pedals, and even the ones costing twice what I paid can't touch it. Manufacturer Support: I nine, only because I haven't needed it. Their web site, though, is great. Tone samples for every RAT. Very nice. The Wow Factor: It's black and white. Does it look sexy? Hell no. Does it sound sexy? Hell yes!!!! Overall: This will be my go-to pedal. It will get used, abused, and used again. If it is stolen by a jealous guitarist in another band, I will hunt him down, and de-tune his guitar before his next set and take it back. If lost, bent, or mutilated, I will replace it.

"the best distortion pedal that's beutiful in a dingy kind of way" submitted August 25, 2003

Music Style: altenative punk rock
Sound: i don't really have anything negative about it but i wish the knobs wern't higher than the switch. it makes it harder to stomp on.it sounds great gives u distortion without losingt the tone Feature: it didn't come with an adapter when i got it but i like the sound quality and i like the glow in the dark feature. very easy to use Quality: this s the best quality pedal i've ever played, it has a problem with the battery some times but it always seems to go away in a second and it doen't happen very much it's happened like 2 times and i've had it for almost 4 years so. it was used when i got it, it was 1 that was made a long time ago when they 1st came out. Value: i think it's kind of expensive but it's worth it. Manufacturer Support: i didn't have contact with the company but there's nothing wrong with it. i don't know anything... The Wow Factor: i have it so yeah Overall: i would never replace it with another pedal it's to good to replace.

"HUGE DISAPPOINTMENT" submitted February 17, 2008

Overall
Sound: My uncle had a Rat from the early 80s and it sounded kickass, the only distortion pedal I ever liked, then I got one of the new ones for $89, it sounded so so, still a little different than most distortion units. Then it just stopped working about 2 months after I got it. Feature: I wish I had more time to play around with it...BEFORE IT CRAPPED OUT ON ME. I should've kept the receipt and returned this, but again, I thought this pedal was going to last me forever. Lesson learned. Ease of Use: Simple, 3 knobs Quality: This was a huge disappointment, I was looking forward to my Rat lasting me for almost 30 years like my uncle's has...how disappointing to see another brand ride the good name it earned in the past to sell high priced horrible quality musical equipment (ala gibson, marshall, vox) Value: Don't waste your money on this POS, it's not worth $5 Manufacturer Support: I emailed them to see what I could do with my pedal, I got an email asking if I lived in the US or abroad, and I responded and never heard from them again, I tried contacting them again with no luck...D.bags, I live in new jersey not mongolia, shouldn't be too effing hard to take responsibility for the crap you sell. The Wow Factor: it looked like the old ones, which I liked, just a black box with 3 knows and a switch, fine with me Overall: Don't waste your time, effort and money on this. If you can find an old one pre-'90s get it, the new ones blow.

"Unacceptable static." submitted May 5, 2004

Overall
Sound: Used in cunjunction w/ a Peavy or Crate solid state amp this box causes horrendous static and hiss. Feature: It isn't all that ajustable but you can turn it off. Quality: All steel. Jumped on it often to kill hiss. (jumped on it w/ both feet when angry at it) Value: This box doesn't perform as well as most of the cheaper boxes. (Were the other reviews written by Rat employees?) The Wow Factor: It's utilitarian and bombproof. I like that

"A WARNING!! DO NOT BUY THIS THING! YOU WILL REGRET IT!" submitted July 30, 2006

Music Style: Rock, Metal, Blues
Sound: It sounds pretty dull and lifeless. There's really nothing to get excited about. The older rats where great. The new ones totally stick. Don't waste your money on a below average distortion. Feature: No battery included. and the battery compartment is a joke! totally frustrating and stupid! It features true bypass switching.. but i'll get to that later. Ease of Use: I didn't get a manual! but it's not exactly hard to use. 3 knobs - volume, distortion and filter. you can play around with them and get a few usable sounds. Quality: THE NEW RAT II is the most poorly put together piece of crap i've ever owned! My first one stopped working after 3 DAYS!!! it just blocked the signal and made a bad humming noise! so i sent it back and the shop was kind enough to replace it. 2 weeks later..SAME PROBLEM! it seems unplugging a cable and then plugging it back in kills it! I have no idea what kind of switch they have put in here, but it's a joke! i can't get any sound except a faint buzz and a hint of the signal. WHAT A WASTE OF MONEY! TOTALLY UNRELIABLE AND USELESS! Value: Very over priced. The RAT is living off it's past reputation. The new ones are utterly CRAP! Dull, lifeless, muddy, weak sound. Manufacturer Support: NON EXISTENT SUPPORT! PRO CO don't HAVE any support! none of my emails where returned! A WASTE OF MY TIME! When (not if) the new RAT breaks you will get absolutely no help from this company! The Wow Factor: looks ok, big and black with some glow in the dark paint. Not bad...but far from sexy. Overall: I thought this would last me a long time, i'd heard about RATS being super reliable...haha! NOT ANY MORE! The new ones are terrible! If it was stolen i wouldn't care...maybe i'd actually feel a bit sorry for the thief! DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY ON THIS!! IT'S TOTALLY UNRELIABLE, SOUNDS VERY ORDINARY AND THERE ARE MANY BETTER DISTORTIONS AVAILABLE

When you call, mention priority code 15H9-S786. Llame Gratis en Español: 800-460-7976