When you call, mention priority code 16G5-54D6

Rating and Reviews: Phil Jones BG100 Bass Cub

This lightweight and portable bass amp from Phil Jones features the perfect sound for practicing just about anywhere.

"Definate bang for the size" submitted August 30, 2012

By Rob R in East Peoria, IL
Musical Background: 35 years experience
Music Style: Coutnry, POP
Overall: When I first opened up the box, I sighed and thought, "this isn't any bigger than my toaster oven, I think I might have made a mistake". I upacked it and plugged it in.......jaw dropped, I did not make a mistake, in fact, this was such a surprise I laughed out loud. Clean power, great limiter without sounded squashed down, and very responsive. I use a fretless and also have a 5 string Jazz, they both sound tight and punchy. The fretless has a nice growl tone to it when I want it and the amp presents the bass as it is. Sure, you won't be drowning out the sledge first metal drummer, but you will definately be setting the tone of a small jazz combo or coffee house setting. I use In Ear monitoring and use DI out of the amp for Front of House, so keeping up is not the issue for larger venues. Protability, this amp is so portable and the carrying bag that it comes in can pack all you need; it won't break your back either.
48 of 51 people (94.12%) found this review helpful. Did you?

"Great size/weight! Decent volume! Lacks low end "feel" somewhat due to small cab" submitted August 27, 2014

By Chester W in Los Angeles, CA
Musical Background: 30+ years of bass playing; hobbyist to semi-pro
Music Style: Mostly jazz, rock; some classical
Overall: I LOVE how little this amp is! At 13lb, I can strap it around my shoulder and take it along with my upright bass in a single trip, up the steps, through narrow alleys, etc. And as long as I set the amp against a wall, this little thing generates great volume! I play jazz and the amp works wonders in a combo setting, even with drums. The only thing I noticed is that it does low end bass "feel" that you get with the larger cabs--which I suppose is expected. But, it's probably more noticeable by me since being the bass player I'm more sensitive. None of my band members noticed. Overall, I'm happy with the purchase. I also own 2 other larger PJB combo amps.

"PJB BASS CUB" submitted November 25, 2013

By Michael F in Harrisburg, PA
Overall
Musical Background: playing music for 50+ years, primarily upright bass but some keyboards and clawhammer banjo.
Music Style: Bluegrass, old time, and a little blues.
Overall: The bass cub is perfect for what I purchased it for, not as a practice amp but for performing. It is being used to add bass volume on stage for a three or four piece acoustic band when using an upright bass. The amp allows for use of a 1/4 size upright bass instead of my normal 3/4 size upright. The amp also is used as an interface to the PA system through the xlr output. A perfect size for the job at hand. Replaces a very heavy Peavey KB100 when traveling to performances.

"Phil Jones Bass Cub" submitted January 26, 2014

By Rod M in Shelby, NC
Overall
Musical Background: Middle Orchestra Director, life long musician, keys,guitar, bass, strings and bass, play in a part-tme east coast beach band
Music Style: Christian, east coast beach, classic rock and motown.
Overall: I love this little amp. I use it mostly for playing bass in a church praise band. The other musicians are blown away with how much sound can come from such a small amp. I run the Cub through the house sound system and the balance is perfect. Stage volume is also perfect. Being in my 50's, I am really in to "light" gear and Phil Jones has the right the right recipe for portability and sound. I would not hesitate to purchase the Cub again.

"Not For Me" submitted September 11, 2014

By Mark H in Hickory, NC
Overall
Musical Background: Over forty years playing bass. Other amps include GK, Eden, SWR. I play at church every week, and in Bluegrass gospel band
Music Style: Grew up in the '60's - Beatles, Stones, Zep, etc, I have since played most types of music in many situations. House bands, weeke
Overall: Although the visual appeal and overall build quality are bountiful, this amp failed miserably for me. I understand the Phil Jones name commands respect in the world of all things bass, but this amp does not deliver to goods for the price. I returned it immediately, after trying it in a very low volume setting; two acoustic guitars a cheap Dean Banjotar, and a fiddle. No vocal mics or any other amps. With over forty years experience, I am pretty confident in how to set the controls, plus I actually read the manual. not only was it short in the volume department, but the tone was nothing to write home about either. Closing statement: A slick, over-priced Chinese amp. By the way, I bought a MarkBass Micro the next week, my first MarkBass amp. Costs less, plenty loud, and sounds way better than the Paul Jones. Made in Italy.

When you call, mention priority code 16G5-54D6. Llame Gratis en Español: 800-460-7976