When you call, mention priority code 207-3LV4

Rating and Reviews: Novation MiniNova Synth

Create huge sounds on the MiniNova -- a tiny synth with the UltraNova's analog-modeling engine -- and run your voice through the built-in microphone/vocoder.

Overall

"Powerful synthesizer which greatly exceeded my expectations." submitted June 29, 2015

By Kurt N in Robbinsdale, MN
Overall
Musical Background: 41+ years experience in electronic music. Former professional, currently hobbyist.
Music Style: Pop, jazz, classical, experimental, EDM
Sound: It's digital and that's apparent in some of the presets. The raw waveforms sound cleaner than those on an analog synthesizer. It's capable of producing very warm sounds with the right programming. I was able to program identical patches on this and my Moog Sub 37, played them side by side and had trouble telling the difference. You can create which cover the full spectrum of what's possible with a "modular" synthesizer. It behaves like a modular system because of it's extensive modulation matrix. Feature: First and foremost is the voice architecture. They thought of everything and even a few things I wouldn't have thought of. The control panel is simple and very well thought out. You get plenty of real time control with the filter and performance knobs. the octave and animate buttons add more live performance capabilities. I use the animate pads a lot more than I thought I would. The LCD screen is large and easy to read. One tip I want to pass along addresses the fact that it doesn't run on batteries. It's not true! you have the option of USB power. Simply get a portable USB power supply with a minimum 1A output, plug it in and you're good to go. If you don't want the power supply sitting loose, put a piece of Velcro on it, a piece on the MiniNova, attach. Voila, instant battery compartment! My one nit pick on features is that the instrument isn't multitimbral. It can only do one sound at a time. That sound can be very complex and can change from one end of the keyboard to the other, but you can't do layers and splits. When working with a sequencer, you are limited to one channel and one sound. This is the only major feature I felt should have been present and wasn't. One other thing worth mentioning is that it doesn't put audio out over USB. It send and receives MIDI data only. Not a big deal for me. I have it plugged in to a USB mixer in my studio. Ease of Use: Programming is very easy if you have a fundamental understanding of synthesis. If you don't, there's a good tutorial in the instruction manual. To program from the panel, repeated presses of the menu button moves you through the menu hierarchy. The left/right buttons take you through the individual parameters. Once you get used to this somewhat fiddly process, navigation is pretty easy. You go to the parameter you want, use the data knob to dial in values and you can listen to the changes in real time. A software editor is included which shows you a lot of parameters all at one and allows you to jump quickly between them. I use both the editor and the control panel when I'm creating a program. The editor has to opened as a plug in within a DAW program. This another nit pick I have. It would be nice to have a stand alone version of it. The DAW setup is a bit clunky and I had trouble setting it up, but I finally got it working. If you don't have DAW software on your computer, fear not. The MiniNova comes with Ableton Live Light, which is a free download when you register the instrument. You can use this DAW for your editor. Be sure to get all of the downloads. You'll need the system folder, editor/librarian and Ableton downloads for this. You will need to configure the MiniNova as a plug in within Ableton. Instructions for this are on the Novation website. The MiniNova comes with 256 presets and 128 blank memory locations. New programs can be written to any memory location including the presets as long as memory protect is turned off in the global menu. Quality: It appears to be very well made. Even though the size and appearance make it look like a toy, the construction is solid and the controls are sturdy. The select switch for the performance matrix feels a bit flimsy, but not enough to concern me. I think this instrument will hold up well on the road as ling as it's protected and handled properly. I have mixed feelings about the mini keyboard. It keeps the footprint of the instrument small and is quite playable unless you are doing complex arpeggio and chord combinations. I tend to play it a lot via MIDI from a larger keyboard. Value: As far as the value goes let me put it like this. If you were to take the voice architecture of this instrument and implement it as an analog synthesizer with separate controls for each function, you have an instrument with would cost well into five figures. I know there are other competing mini synths near this price point, but I can't get over how perfectly thought out this is and the fantastic sound quality it has. Manufacturer Support: This is my first experience with Novation so I haven't had to contact customer service. The registration and free download process went without a hitch. The Wow Factor: This instrument is extremely appealing. I could make good music without it, but working with a synthesizer which has what I consider near perfect voice architecture is a real joy. It makes me regret not buying a Super Nova when they were available back in the day. Overall: I bought this primarily for the flexible vocoding and vocal tune capabilities. What I didn't expect was a very powerful synthesizer. One I started working through the parameters, I realized I have one very serious instrument on my hands. If I could design a synth myself from scratch, this would be it.

"easy to use and lots of features for the price" submitted June 24, 2014

By Chris M in mansfield, OH
Overall
Musical Background: been playing for 17 years mainly a drummer but play guitars bass and boards just the same
Music Style: Metal , industrial,electronic
Overall: I bought the mininova to get into the synth world of editing and creating patches and as i am new to this i wanted one that was fully functional but not overwehlming and i couldnt be happier..its easy to get into the patches you want and everything is laid out nicely on the board to get into the editing aspects but if you have a computer you can download the editing software and that lays everything the board is capable of right in front of you which just makes it even easier along with all the free download patches novation offers as well..very much happy with my purchase and very happy with www.zzounds.com the payment plan is awesome and puts gear in reach that i didnt think possible before and the shipping was very fast ...

"Novation MiniNova" submitted July 29, 2014

By Noah M in Rockwood, MI
Musical Background: 10 years on Keyboards, 4 year organist at church
Music Style: Rock, Prog Rock, Prog Metal, Christian.
Sound: This synth sounds quite good for having just 3 oscillators. I also think that the built in DSP has something to do with it. Ease of Use: I found it quite is to start modifying patches or even making them from scratch. I do find the keys a little bit too stiff, but that's probably because you have less leverage with mini-keys. Quality: The keyboard feels pretty solid. Although I did manage to break one of my keys (possible due to the fact that I bought it as a returned product), but I was able to superglue the key back on and I have had no other issues beyond that. I would give this keyboard more than 3 stars in the quality department, but because of the one key that broke, I kind of have to mark it down. Value: This product seems to be a great value for an entry level synth. Manufacturer Support: Haven't had to deal with them yet. The Wow Factor: I find this keyboard to be very good looking, and all of the lights just help it's cause. Overall: The MiniNova fits my musical desires very well. I play a lot of classic rock and prog rock, so most of the time I'm just playing a Hammond, Rhodes, or piano sound. Sometimes however I need a synth sound for a lead, or an occasional pad/string sound; this synth delivers! The only thing that I really don't like is the mini-keys, but I suppose if you want full size keys you could just buy the UltraNova, or use a full size midi keyboard to control the synth.

"Amazing sound and quality for an excellent price!" submitted April 28, 2015

By Robert Muller in Carmel, IN
Overall
Musical Background: 20 years professionally as a studio rat. I play drums, guitar, guitar synth and backing vocals.
Music Style: Good.
Overall: I have had the Novation MiniNova for about a month. I don't like to read manuals, I like to experiment and stumble across interesting sounds and motion, and maybe refer to the manual if I get stuck on how to do something. With that approach in mind, I've been able to spend hours, getting great sounds and having tremendous fun. I find that it has kick started creativity, opening pathways to directions I wouldn't have otherwise taken. My bottom line, It's a ton of fun, it has sparked tremendous creativity and it's nearly impossible to make this thing sound bad!

"Great product" submitted December 1, 2013

By a customer from charter.net
Overall
Overall: Love this product

When you call, mention priority code 207-3LV4. Llame Gratis en Español: 800-460-7976
Shop with those who respect your privacy — we do. Copyright © 1996-2015, zZounds Music, LLC. Terms of use apply.