When you call, mention priority code 1644-CNM3

Rating and Reviews: MXR Carbon Copy M169

The MXR Carbon Copy offers amazing delay tone. With a fully analog audio path, the Carbon Copy lets you get awesome vintage delay sounds.

Overall

"A versatile, great-sounding analog delay at a wonderful price." submitted July 23, 2009

Sam from zZounds
Music Style: Alternative, Electro, Shoegaze
ZZOUNDS CREW REVIEW
Sound: The MXR Carbon Copy is an analog delay. As opposed to a digital delay, an analog delay typically tends to roll off the high frequency response of the repeats. The Carbon Copy has a very "warm" sound to it. The repeats decay nicely, and as they decay further, the sound tends to distort and compress more and more (especially at higher feedback settings). Personally, this is a good thing, as it allows the trails of repeats to smoothly cascade into one another. The delay is slightly brighter than some of the Malekko analog delays or the old Boss DM series, but seems to be slightly darker than, say, an EHX Deluxe Memory Man. The shorter delay times will yield a brighter delay signal, while longer delay times will have a darker delay signal. The delay will also go into self-oscillation sooner at lower delay times. The self-oscillation on this pedal is quite good, but doesn't seem to be as crazy as other pedals (most notably, the Boss DM-2 comes to mind). The modulation on the Carbon Copy is very nice. It is rather subtle, but can lend a nice, fluid quality to the delay signal. The delay cannot provide a 100 percent wet signal. When the "Mix" knob is fully clockwise, the dry signal is still audible (yet, this is a feature common to most analog delays). The pedal is true-bypass, and there isn't a hugely audible "click" sound when the pedal is engaged (like most true-bypass pedals). It is still audible, but is not audible enough to cause a problem. Overall, the Carbon Copy provides a basic, solid, analog delay signal. Feature: The Carbon Copy is a rather basic delay, in terms of features. The delay features simple controls for Mix, Regen (feedback/repeats), and Delay (delay time), as well as a Mod button for engaging the delay modulation. On the inside of the unit, there are two internal trim pots that allow one to access the rate and depth of the delay signal's modulation. The delay features around 600 ms of delay time, which is rather long for an analog delay (although not the longest analog delay time available). The enclosure is pretty small, which is a plus, as it does not take up too much space on the pedal board. MXR style enclosures are slightly smaller than a typical Boss single-pedal enclosure. In typical MXR fashion, the pedal is very sturdy and well made. I gave the Carbon Copy's features a seven, as it would have been nice to have the internal trim pots accessible on the outside of the unit. More controls for the modulation, or perhaps the option for vibrato instead of chorus would have also been great. However, these features may potentially increase the price of this pedal. Yet, for an analog delay, the features are typical. Ease of Use: The pedal is quite straightforward. One input, one output, and a standard 9V power connection. It's almost impossible to get a bad sound out of this unit. The internal trimpots are pretty easy to access, if you wish to modify them. Quality: The Carbon Copy that I received was perfect, both functionally and cosmetically. MXR pedals are very well built, and last quite a long time. Under normal usage, I would expect this pedal to last a very, very long time. The jacks are sturdy, and the knobs feel good. Value: This pedal is a great value. It's almost impossible to find a quality analog delay for $150.00 or under. When the Carbon Copy first came out, there was almost no other analog delay that was comparable with the same features. However, EHX is coming out with some new analog delays based upon the Deluxe Memory Man that are aimed to take up a more affordable share of the market (roughly in the same price range as the Carbon Copy). Overall though, this pedal is definitely worth the asking price (and then some). Manufacturer Support: N/A. I've never had to deal with MXR support myself. However, I have heard favorable things from others who have dealt with them. I've gotten the impression that they are fairly easy to deal with. The Wow Factor: The Carbon Copy is great in this area. Visually, it has a nice finish and a wonderfully simple layout. It is easy to manipulate any of the knobs, and the placement of the jacks and power connector are very pedal-board friendly. Overall: If you are in the market for a solid, versatile delay, then the MXR Carbon Copy is definitely worth a very close look. I'm completely satisfied with the pedal, and it covers everything that I would expect an analog delay to do. Some additional features, such as more control over the delay modulation would have been nice. However, as is, the pedal is a phenomenal value, and the features that the pedal lacks do not hinder the usability of the pedal in any way. A wonderful option for those looking for an affordable, great-sounding delay.

"REALLY NICE SOUNDING DELAY" submitted April 11, 2011

By a customer from verizon.net
Music Style: Country, Blues
Sound: If you want a lot of bells and whistles get a DD7. If you want a nice sounding simple analog delay this is it. I do not need a lot of radical delay effects. Just something sweet and nice for country and blues. I've been trying to find the delay effect that's in my head but cant get it transferred to my DD7. In a few minutes of knob turning I found it and a few more nice settings. Done deal. Feature: Only thing I wish Dunlop would do is put the power plug in the front and not on the sides. But its nothing I cant live with considering I really like the pedal. Quality: Built nicely.

"One of the best!" submitted July 19, 2013

By Steve S in Miami, FL
Overall
Musical Background: Guitar, been playing 6 to 7 years mostly jamming at home on my own or with a small band
Music Style: All forms of rock from classic, punk, hard rock, down to metal
Sound: Amazing. Super Dynamic. Totally works in all settings. The only thing that would've made this better is to be able to tap tempo. But for this price and to be the size of a phase 90, and a PURE analog delay with true bypass, I don't think it can be beat. I do wish the internal trim pots were outside on the pedal, but then the pedal would have to be bigger. So, its ok with me. You can get soft delays or really crazy Alien sounding oscillations that get loud! No matter what man this is a great sounding pedal. Feature: Everything is great. The Mod button has the inner pots to give it a more of EHX memory man kinda feel. The internal trim pots let you do that. The Knobs give you a good amount of control while keeping things simple. Ease of Use: compared to other delays. Its as easy as set your mix, how long you want your delay, and how many repeats. Quality: Super well made. Super reliable. This thing is worth its price. Its lasted me 2 years already I'm sure it last. The LED is BRIGHT! Value: Yeah totally worth it. If you're after simplicity and the tried and true warm sound of analog delay. Yeah. Now if you want tap tempos, and triplets, Look elsewhere. But in this small size and 100% analog? I don't think it can be beat. Manufacturer Support: No need and have had it for like 2 years already. The Wow Factor: Dude honestly looks just as good as it sounds. Honestly man, I'm glad I got it. With this pedal I can use it for crazy sounds, Spacey Pink Floyd guitar sounds, Alien Oscillations, slapback 50/60s reverb sound, I can thicken up my lead tone, I can get an Old School U2 tone from like "I will follow." Its awesome. I don't regret getting it. Overall: Sounds great. I had compared this with the memory toy and memory boy and this one won. In this size, its the best. It sounds just as good as looks. The LEDs are super bright and this thing is quiet. The quality is here. For a basic simple warm sounding analog delay. This thing gets whacky too! I've left the internal trim pots alone, and the mod button still sounds great to me. If you need to tap tempo n do triplets n stuff. This isn't for you. I how you can have it oscillating like crazy, lower the mix n you can still hear your guitar come through.

"love my MXR analog delay pedal for bass" submitted June 11, 2014

By Mr B in Spanish Fort , AL
Musical Background: 30yrs playing, country, pop, rock, gospel
Music Style: Country, pop, rock, gospel, blues
Overall: Delay on bass? YOU BET! The delay only works on higher notes on bottom strings so your solo or riff will shine with this pedal. I use it in combo with Octaver. Knobs set to about 10 O'clock position.

"Awesome" submitted April 6, 2014

By chris horen in san tan valley, AZ
Overall
Musical Background: 30+ years of metal guitar, plus teaching.
Music Style: Metal/rock
Overall: Have used many delay pedals over the years but thus is by far the best!

"Sparkle finish, Awesome sound" submitted December 24, 2008

Julio from zZounds
Musical Background: Musician/Engineer
Music Style: Ambient/Rock/Pop
ZZOUNDS CREW REVIEW
Sound: It has a really rich thick sound. It's perfect for all types of music (country/pop/rock/exper/etc.). It's really easy to get a nice subtle delay trailing behind or you can overload the Regen & get an awesome distortion. No tap tempo, so you will actually have to listen to your music. Feature: The pedal is pretty straightforward. It just has single in/out jacks. The bright blue LEDs are a nice feature. Ease of Use: 3 knobs! It really doesn't get much simpler. Quality: The product feels solid. It's metal & the footswitch is heavy duty. The finish & feel of everything is awesome. Value: I think the price is fair. The sound quality seals the deal for me. Manufacturer Support: Haven't contacted them. The Wow Factor: This pedal is awesome looking. It has that sparkle deep green finish. The bright blue LED lights really finish it off. The size is great since it's not a pedal board hog. Overall: I was looking for a small analog delay for my board & I found it in the Carbon Copy. Simple, small, warm, detailed, & looks cool. I can use it in subtle or crazy ways. I'd def. replace it if it got lost or stolen.
19 of 21 people (90.48%) found this review helpful. Did you?

When you call, mention priority code 1644-CNM3. Llame Gratis en Español: 800-460-7976