When you call, mention priority code 146H-46ND

Rating and Reviews: MOTU 8pre Interface

Add 8 crystal-clear mic preamps to your home recording setup with the MOTU 8Pre 16x12 FireWire interface, featuring high-resolution 96 kHz/24-bit converters.

"Top-Tier For a Mixerless Setup" submitted August 16, 2009

Musical Background: Musician, Aspiring recording engineer
Music Style: Jazz/Rock
Sound: Sound is clear, and very quiet even with the preamps turned near max. Feature: ADAT Lightpipe is very useful; LED's for each input is also a big help. Each channel has its own preamp and phantom power option for each individual channel. The only thing that kills me is that there is only a headphone jack and one balanced pair of main outs. I would like more output channels to route to effects or other equipment. Ease of Use: There are driver problems when daisy-chaining two or more 8pre's together. Hardware-wise, the unit is easy to use. Quality: A very well-built product. The phantom power switches feel a bit cheap, but that's the only apparent con in quality. Value: Competing against the FP-10, I'm not sure the 8pre is worth the extra $150 in retail price if only because of the lack of output channels. However, the 8pre does have a phantom power switch for each channel (which isn't really a problem in the FP-10), and importantly lightpipe ins and outs for daisy-chaining or whatever else. The Wow Factor: The unit looks sharp, and it performs. Overall: I am very satisfied with the 8pre. I own two, daisy-chained via lightpipe and they have worked very well for my needs so far. I am hoping to use the units to record small ensembles in the near future. The only reason I may consider switching away from the 8pre is the lack of output channels; this is a big deal if you want to use outboard effects or other equipment, but not so much if you're just interested in recording an ensemble.

"I"m Luke warm" submitted December 26, 2008

By a customer from verizon.net
Overall
Musical Background: Gigging musician part time, also part time recording engineer and videographer
Music Style: Rock, Alternative, Rhythm and Blues
Ease of Use: I had to roll back to Windows XP service pack 1 to get two units working in conjunction. This is a known bug with the unit. I also tried Vista but the drivers didn't work, and I could never get any sound out of the unit. Quality: I accidentally hit the button on my power strip which turned the units off when it they were still booting, and one of them fried. You will probably want to invest in some power conditioning. (I plan to do that ASAP) Value: Overall it's still a pretty good product, but could be cheaper. Manufacturer Support: Yep, the other guy's right. The support reps will do anything just to get you off of the phone. It's probably how they are measured (length of call) They also will not talk to you usually if you do not register with them. I just don't like registering my purchases due to the fact that more people now have your address and contact info. I get plenty of spam as it is.

"Customer Support is Non-Existent" submitted May 13, 2009

By a customer from excite.com
Musical Background: Professional
Music Style: rock, country, ballads
Sound: When it's working...it sounds great. Very clean, crystal production. It's a 10 when working. It's a zero right now...so I've averaged it out to a 5. But it's really a 'zero.' Feature: No I wish that it worked. Ease of Use: When it works, it's easy to use. Quality: The toggles and knobs are very small and flimsy. Value: It's of no value to me right now. It is dead in the water. Manufacturer Support: Over 50 phone calls. Either busy or won't answer. Not sure which. Requests for email support online have gone unanswered for 3 weeks. The Wow Factor: I've owned it for over a year. The machine has a split personality. It cannot be relied upon. Overall: When the 8pre is working...it's great. But mine has been 'down' more than I care to talk about. The customer support is non-existent. I wouldn't buy another MOTU product if my life depended on it.

"Don't waste your money get an Echo Audio fire 12 and a freaking Allen and Heath mixwizard and have a killer set up. Skip this to" submitted October 8, 2009

Musical Background: part time musician
Music Style: cover slut
Sound: The sound was good while the unit was working. Feature: It has a tone of cool things that would be great if the unit was working. I like the fact that it is a single rack space I like that each channel has it's own phantom power the little led meter is great. Ease of Use: It was a little strange to set up. It went faster than my old Project mix I/O and sounds a little better. Quality: What a complete piece of junk. The box they put it in is awesome and it seems like a great unit but when you plug it in it seems like any little thing will freak it out. I upgraded it with the factory upgrade and since then it has not worked. Get an M-Audio. Value: If they company was any good at customer service this would be a good product but if you have a problem with your unit you are on your own. good luck Manufacturer Support: The company is impossible to deal with. You can't get anyone on the phone. They have no voice mail to leave a message and when you try to get in touch with them they make you jump through a bunch of hoops for service. You think you have a warranty... you don't The Wow Factor: I thought I wanted this but now I know the truth. It is terrible. Overall: The thing died after 5 months and 2 recording projects. Wow that's awesome.

"Flawless." submitted October 3, 2007

Musical Background: hobyyist
Music Style: hardcore, alternative, drum and bass, acoustic, r&b and more.
Sound: As expected, very good preamps. Feature: Its just the 8pre a firewire cable the manual and drivers cd. Not like they could throw more stuff in the box. (Other than maybe another firewire cable thats 4-6 pin rather than 6-6 pin) Ease of Use: Had some minor trouble with installing the drivers where I ended up doing what the manual said not to. But still works perfectly. Quality: Couldnt be better built unless you want it made out of metal. All mic inputs are firm and nothing is loose. Although the volume controls on the 8 lines all have a different "feel" for example my volume knob on channel 7 I have to turn with all my strength while the one on channel 8 could be moved with a straw. Value: $549 is $49 too much, although theres only one VERY similar interface (the now discontinued tascam fw-1804) it is a lot cheaper than this one although knowing what it does and what its capable of, its worth $600 Manufacturer Support: Ive only tried emails, but many many emails and they always answer within a day with nice complete answers. The Wow Factor: ...it looks pretty nice on the rack, although a bit shy to be the brain of my home studio. Overall: Great buy, I recomend it to anyone. Very portable and very sturdy.Ive seen pros using this as much as I use it in my home studio.
36 of 39 people (92.31%) found this review helpful. Did you?

"Good interface, for some...." submitted February 21, 2008

Overall
Manufacturer Support: I've been trying to troubleshoot a driver issue using Vista and tech support is insistent on blaming me. The arrogance is astounding, and the support for actual problems is untennable.

When you call, mention priority code 146H-46ND. Llame Gratis en Español: 800-460-7976