When you call, mention priority code 204-4FBK

Rating and Reviews: MXL V69 Mogami Microphone

With a 1" diaphragm, 12AT7 tube, and internal Mogami wiring, the V69 delivers warmth and character. The case includes a cable, shock mount and windscreen.

"A "Diamond Discovered"" submitted May 17, 2013

By Gary P in Marion, NC
Musical Background: Private Studio
Music Style: All types.
Overall: I have owned numerous mics such as Neumann, Rode Classic, and other high end mics. I bought this mic out of pure curiosity. And..I was shocked. I've recorded gospel, pop, country, male, female and group vocals on a variety of microphones including the ones I named above. For $299 this mic is a deal! It's not fancy, doesn't have the "glamour" of some mics, but it gets the job done, and done very well right out of the box. Mics are a matter of personal choice, and there is a lot of hype, prestige, and other "have to have" factors associated with many of the high end name brands, but if you have $299 to spend you owe it to yourself to try this mic. Most folks talk about vocals on these reviews, but if you play acoustic guitar especially finger style try this mic about 12 inches out from the soundhole and slightly forward on the neck. Regardless of what you use it on I don't think you'll be disappointed with this mic especially at the price.

"Cheap tube mic ripoff? Think again." submitted May 22, 2003

By a customer from cleargravy.com
Music Style: ALL
Sound: A warm and wonderful mic that picks up detail and treats vocals the way vocals should be treated. One of the best sounding mics in my studio it easily rivals the "N" brand that has a price tag 7 times higher. Feature: Thin on features, no pad or rolloff switches, it's not thin on sound and that's what counts. The 140db SPL makes them useful as overheads for drums, but they really shine on vocals and acoustic guitar. The response is so flat that you don't need a rolloff switch and for acoustic instruments and voice a pad isn't much use either. So I appreciate the money saved by not paying attention to features that have little value in this instance. Quality: Well built. The parts fit tightly but it also disassembles easily to allow you to get to the tube. Value: At this price, I bought two! So much more you can do with a pair and any other "quality" tube mic starts about double this price. I don't think there's a better value out there for a quality tube mic that shames ALL the competition under $1000 and holds its own with the "big boys" without pretending to be something more than it is. A truly GREAT mic! Manufacturer Support: No experience.
20 of 21 people (95.24%) found this review helpful. Did you?

"Excellent" submitted July 17, 2014

By Kyzer MF in Silver Spring, MD
Overall
Musical Background: 10 years this year, home studio since I was a little kid with a USB mic
Music Style: Hip Hop, Rock, R&B
Overall: The stock tube sounded pretty good, considering the cost of the microphone. I was expecting a horrible "chinese" tube but it wasn't unpleasant. The sound was very distinct and it had a bit too much character to be very useful for vocals except in specific scenarios, but I swapped out the tube for a Mullard 4024 NOS and it sounds realllllyyy good now. Reminds me a lot of the Blue Baby Bottle microphone. A lot less mids heavy and "tinny", more universal, way easier to fit into mixes. I'm keeping the stock tube for specific occasions because I like the sound for acoustic guitar, though, so it all works out!

"Gospel, R&B & Spoken word worthy" submitted December 9, 2006

Musical Background: Minister/Singer/Songwriter/Producer/Engineer
Music Style: Gospel/Acid Jazz /R&B/Hip Hop/Pop
Sound: I have worked with the best of the best of Tube mics and condensors. From Nuemann to Manley. I must say that the sound of this mic is very pleasing to the ear though a bit to sibilant. I have notice very smooth lows descant mids and over polished Highs. It is easier to remove what you cannot appreciate however, than to give what is not there. Being a gospel singer I have noticed that it does pickup every nuance of a vocal dynamic, creshendos, vibrato and glatos very detailed. I did eventually change the tube to a mullard 12AX7T and WHOA! I have struck Gold. Try it you will not regret this microphone. I even now record without compression going in, it will not distort if you monitor levels. Hats of to Marshall. Feature: No real features. No polar patterns, no pad, whatever. If a mic is right who needs all of this with one mic. There are other mics in my collection that have these features. It is collection worthy. Ease of Use: Plug it in use it. My 8yr old could set this thing up. Very straight forward. Quality: I should mention that the casing to the mic should have been tightened at final inspection, however I was capable of tightening the housing myself. Value: My goodness! I have been using this mic exclusively on this current album for the first three songs yet. I think for what I have paid it far exceeds its cost and even competes with more expensive mics. Manufacturer Support: Have not needed support. How great is that? The Wow Factor: A mic is not sexy. A woman is! Overall: Over all it is a great sounding microphone. It is worthy of what it cost and more. I am not a sales rep neither! I am just very excited about this mic. I will be using this for a while. I would actually try some other MXL products now.

"Excellent price/performance" submitted May 4, 2015

By Bill A in Bogota, NJ
Musical Background: Professional Musician/Composer and Producer
Music Style: jazz/rock/classical, with an emphasis on progressive rock
Overall: I'm quite pleased with this microphone. It does lack a couple of essential features, but with some forethought, you can overcome these deficiencies. The sound is excellent. Equal to mics costing 2-3 times the price, possibly even more. I would put it head to head with a u67, and it wouldn't be left in the dust, so to speak. The supplied tube is actually quite good. I tried a couple of other tubes in it, with little, if any, improvement in character and sound. My advice is to just leave the tube, and just do some recording. This mic is ready to go as soon as you let it warm up. I'm sure that after a nice burn-in period, it will sound even better. Now, to the deficiencies: 1. the SPL handling is on the low side, so you'll want to make sure that you check your gain staging carefully. Many vocalists will need to put a bit more distance between their mouth and the capsule because of this. I certainly did. With most mics, I can get pretty close to the motor or capsule without any issues. If you do that with this mic, you're going to be overdriving the built in preamp circuit, and while the onset of distortion can be pleasing, it is quite easy to go past the pleasing, and into the no zone. 2. no low frequency roll-off. This is easy to overcome with a bit of low pass filtering, whether it's on your external preamp, sound interface, mixing console or DAW. Overall, this is a great value. I also own an MXL2003, which I've modified with some higher quality capacitors and basket clearing. While that mic was a good value, too, this one is much more useful to me in my studio.

"Every studio should have this mic!!!!!!!!!" submitted November 8, 2007

Overall
Musical Background: full time recording engineer, producer and working musician
Music Style: all
Sound: I love the sound now that I switched the tube to a nos GE 5751. It now has that creaminess of the $5000 Neumanns!!! I use it with a Nightpro mic pre, a Manley tube compressor and an old Ashley parametric EQ. Silky as any mic I've heard. I use it on vocals, acoustic guitars and drum room mics. Feature: If it had a bass roll off and pad, it would be great!! Ease of Use: Put it up and go! Quality: Looks great, sounds great, easy to use..............what else is there!!! Value: The best bang for the buck I know of. Manufacturer Support: I had to return another MXL mic that I had for 2 years and to my surprise the mic was still under warranty................3 years actually. It was a MXL 9000 mic..............another great one. I called MXL, they gave me a return # and their UPS # to ship no cost to me and said they would either fix it or replace it free of charge. SUPER SERVICE!!!!!!!!!!!! The Wow Factor: The clients love the look of this mic! Overall: I need to buy more of them.

"GET THIS MIC!! AMAZING QUALITY!!" submitted April 27, 2006

By a customer from taconic.net
Musical Background: Active musician and engineer
Music Style: country, country cross over, light rock and folk
Sound: Unbelievable sound quality at any price! This mic is very warm and excellent for vocals and acoustic guitars. Feature: Comes with the shcok mount, mogami cables and a pop filter. You'll need a much better pop filter though. Ease of Use: Very easy. Reproduces the source material exactly! Quality: This mic is made very well. Strong and durable but don't drop it of course! Contrary to some reviews I've seen regarding the carry case I think the build quality is excellent. It's strong and very rugged. A wooden case would've been nicer though. Still this is an amazingly priced package! Value: It's worth 4 times what I paid! Manufacturer Support: Had a few questions and support was awesome. Quick response and very helpful. The Wow Factor: Very sleek! Very sexy! Overall: I'll be satisfied for many years to come with it. I also have the SP TB-1 and it is also a killer tube mic. Between the 2 of them I won't be looking to buy for quite awhile.
10 of 11 people (90.91%) found this review helpful. Did you?

"Finally! A budget friendly step into the world of "expensive" mics!" submitted October 14, 2011

Musical Background: Active Musician, Recording Engineer
Sound: The sound is natural and true to the human voice. I've found that it CAN be natural and true on acoustic guitar, but depending on the instrument, it can take a minute or two to find the "sweet spot" (which would have been much easier to do with a high pass switch). Don't forget that this is a tube mic. Let it warm up for a good 15-30 minutes before recording any tracks. Once that tube kicks in, it's like listening to warm silk...clean and smooth. Feature: Don't really need a PAD switch for this mic since its max SPL is 140db. Plenty of headroom. However, it sure would make things easier if there was an 80Hz high pass switch. Ease of Use: It's pretty much plug it in, let it warm up and away you go. The reason I gave it an eight is because the external power supply can be a little bit of a pain depending on your environment. Quality: First time I took this out of the box it had the eye-catching, classy, vintage look that (in my opinion) all microphones should have. However, the black casing scratches very easily and shows the true grey metal underneath. I've noticed that the gold grill has become a little wobbly (which is exactly what has happened to ALL previous MXL mics I've owned) over time. Despite those things, everything else seems to be pretty sturdy. Just be sure to treat this mic with a little extra TLC. Value: Still the best sounding mic for the money that I've heard. I just finished recording a project were we did a bit of a shoot-out between the V69ME, an AT4040, an AT4080, and an SM7B. The V69ME won hands down in clarity, presence, warmth and balance. Manufacturer Support: I haven't had to deal with them but some friends of mine have and have had some good and some bad experiences. Everything from, "Yes sir. We'll fix it right away!" to never getting a reply. The Wow Factor: Is this mic sexy? Why yes...yes it is. The black and gold combination give it a 'modern' vintage look. Everyone that sees and hears it automatically assume that it costs about 3x what it actually does. Shhh! I won't tell anyone if you don't. Overall: I expect to keep this mic in my collection for a LONG time. I'm sure I'll keep adding to the collection but for now, this mic has a special place in my studio as the "go-to" mic for vocals and acoustic instruments!

"Crystal clear!" submitted May 14, 2014

By Eric P in Rochester, NY
Music Style: Hard Rock
Feature: Not really any features. Maybe would've liked if it could switch polar patterns? But not complaining Ease of Use: Real easy to use, just be sure to turn it on for a couple minutes to warm up for the best sound. Just a little peeved that the power source has to take up an outlet space, but minor detail Manufacturer Support: Haven't needed to deal with any support Overall: Lets be honest, this microphone is sexy. But beyond it's looks, it's sound is phenomenal. It has that nice warm sound you want for a vocal microphone. Hell, I even put it over a glockenspiel and the recording sounded better than being right in front of the glock. And zzounds delivered it to me a lot faster than I expected so I commend them on that

"What are U waiting for?! Buy this Mic NOW!!!!" submitted April 4, 2006

Musical Background: Recording Engineer
Music Style: Hip Hop, Rap, RnB
Sound: Warm, and Crystal Clear!! I have this mic running through my Avalon 737 sp mic pre..This mic beat my Neumann TLM103 so many times i sold the Neumann.. Feature: Everything works great..except for the foam windscreen that comes with it..better off using a pop filter.... Ease of Use: Plug -n- play Quality: Everything seems well built.. Value: I have this mic paired with my Avalon 737 sp and it sounds great!..I owned a Neumann Tlm103 before this, but after i bought this mic, I quickly sold the Neumann..This mic beat it by a long shot! Manufacturer Support: Never had to use them..hhmm The Wow Factor: Everyone thinks i paid "thousands" of dollars for it because of the "gold" grill..lol Overall: As long as im in this industry..

"Great mic; at any price!" submitted August 25, 2008

Musical Background: Active Musician, Recording Engineer
Music Style: Gospel, Neo Soul & R&B (All
Sound: This product sounds pretty amzing on its own, however putting a mullard black sable tube in it! Wheweee. I bought the Royer Mojave MA200 tube mic, when I listened to the mic I thought this is descent. I did a back to back comparison and the mxl wons with flying colors. I found that the MA200 is actually patterened after this mic. So this mic has a wonderful sound to it. Feature: There are no features, thats one of the best things about it. It makes it easy. Ease of Use: Change the tube, plug in and play. Quality: What can I say it is amazing. What is so great about it is that it is very consistent. I tried this mike through the FireFace 800 Mic Pre, the A Design Pacifica and the Behringer tube pre. It sounded amazing through them all. This is a must have piece of equipment. Value: It sounds beter than so many more popular mics and cost a fraction of their cost. You cant beat the value of this mic. Who cares if it is made in china. The Wow Factor: Mics are not sexy! If anyone thinks they are they need to get examined. Overall: I will have this in my arsenal for as long as I own a studio. I may get two more just because I can change out the tubes.

"Great Mic, second time was a charm" submitted April 24, 2012

By Vincent P in Baltimore , MD
Musical Background: Music Producer, writer, performer
Music Style: Gospel, hip hop, RnB
Overall: I'd been in the market for a new studio recording mic to complete my home based setup for some time when I came across this mic after much research. I tested it out at a local music store and decided this was the one, I was lucky to find out that ONLY Zzounds had the BEST deals on them so I order them here. I'll admit they came it way quicker the I thought (2days) and I was excited to try it out. But maybe because I had ordered the refurbished version cause when I got them it was making an unbearable jumping sound which made recording with them pointless. I contacted Zzounds and told them about it and they told me to ship it back for another one which I did all shipping expenses taken care of by them. The second one they sent me was perfect. I love this mic and what it does to my vocals, just clear, clean, saves me much time editing vocals. I would recommend them.

"Nice sound works well feels heavy." submitted July 21, 2006

By a customer from netscape.net
Overall
Musical Background: active musician multi instrumentalist recording engineer
Music Style: Country blues rock, experimenting with techno.
Sound: Just watch the proximity effect and use a pop filter. It works really on vocals and once you get the sweet spot dialed in it speaks the truth.. Feature: needs bass roll off. Ease of Use: Just plug er in and experiment with your particular acoustical situation. Mine is used in a truck sleeper. Quality: Bought it cuz I was kind of shiny aluminiumed out. This doesn't look like something purchased at a truck stop or walmart. Value: Heavy sexy,first impressions are everything when selling yourself,for $$ an hour you don't want to look like the nerd with a Mac anbody can do that. Manufacturer Support: No experience. If it goes bad buy another one. That's half the fun isn't it? I don't think they quit selling stuff yet have they?? The Wow Factor: already embellished.The case doesn't make it sound any better unless you are giving it away with every recording Overall: Very pleased

"Top-of-the-line sound...mmm mmm good." submitted February 16, 2004

Music Style: I play electronic synth stuff, but I record everything
Sound: Absolutely fantastic sound. People complain about the case it comes in, but wow, that sound. I'm not an expert, but I've used MXL 1006, Rode NT-4 and NT-1, Audio-Technica 3035, and it blows them all out of the water. Of course a SM57 will be better for snare and stuff, but on vocals, this thing is silky smooth. Fuller and richer than the Audio-Technica, with beautiful high frequencies. I assume a U87 sounds better, but this is still the best I have heard. Feature: Pad and roll off would have been nice, as would switchable polar patterns, but hey, this didn't cost $800 Quality: Seems very well made, even though the case is crap. I got one of these that was DOA, so I got a little nervous, but I assume it was UPS. Value: For the sound, the best value around. Manufacturer Support: No experience, but I've heard good things. The Wow Factor: very pretty finish Overall: The best mic in my collection. I don't have top-of-the-line stuff, but only a very seasoned studio engineer probably would ever tell this from a multi-thousand dollar Blue or Neumann.

When you call, mention priority code 204-4FBK. Llame Gratis en Español: 800-460-7976