When you call, mention priority code 14RM-SSZS

Rating and Reviews: Martin HD-28 Acoustic

The H is for herringbone. With its Sitka spruce top and Indian rosewood back/sides, the HD-28 sounds very similar to the D-28, but adds elegant wood trim.

"Holy Cow (I am from Vermont) I Finally Own One" submitted August 6, 2010

Overall
Musical Background: much more than a hobby but not my profession
Music Style: classical, "jazz", "swing, bluegrass, traditional tunes
Manufacturer Support: I have not needed to contact Martin. The Wow Factor: Seems an odd question. I buy an instrument to buy an instrument not because it may have some other appeal. This guitar's true aesthetic is its remarkable tonal quality and ease of playability. It's simple and elegant design while important only reinforce the fact that it is a joy to play and listen to. Overall: It is the best instrument I have ever owned. In the Seventies I played a Gallagher. I could not afford it at the time nor was I ready for it. It approached the sound quality of the Martin but did not have the playability. My Martin is a marvel. It is unlikely that I will ever purchase another acoustic steel string. Like my classical instrument, it literally hums against your body as you play and the tonal clarity and balance are superior to every other factory guitar I have played. As a guitarist with a classical background, intonation is very important.I cannot recall ever having a steel-string guitar that did not need further intonation work. Even after the work, the intonation was not up to my ear's standards. It is likely over time, I will find slightly out of tune spots and may have it adjusted. However, the luthier who intonated my Martin had the skill and patience to do a remarkable job. The rumor that new Martins sound like cheap guitars must have been started by a competitor. The HD 28 is remarkable in its sound and beauty.

"My all-time favorite dreadnaught" submitted April 26, 2005

Overall
Musical Background: active amateur musician and recording engineer
Music Style: Americana, blues, rock, jazz, pop
Sound: I've played mine regularly, in the home and on stage, since I got it new in 1982. Great sound to begin with, and it's mellowed a bit with age (or perhaps I have) and sounds even better now. The scalloped bracing gives this guitar much more life than a D18, D28, or D35, as it allows the top to vibrate much more freely. It's a much louder guitar than any other dreadnaught in its price rage or below. This is a great guitar for people who want a single guitar to use for both fingerpicking and flatpicking, lead and rhythm. Deep, resonant tone really holds a tune together for rhythm playing, especially helpful when there's no bass player. The best part is how lively it sounds when fingerpicked with bare fingers -- you don't need plastic fingerpicks with this baby. Yet the sound still holds together excellently for deep, hard strumming. Alternate tunings come to life. There's gold inside these guitars, all you have to do is let it out. Sounds great recorded with SM57 and mixer preamps (you can hear my recordings at learjeff.com for a clue). For recordings, a low mid EQ scoop is necessary even more than most dreadnaughts, due to the full bottom end. Best with 80/20 strings -- sounds too brassy with phosphor bronze. However, phosphor bronze strings can help on stage. It mikes easily for acoustic gigs. It's probably not the best guitar (not bright & tinny enough) for classic rock band use alongside electrics. Quality: The quality of the guitars being made today are much better than those of the 80's like mine. Action is better (lower), the bridge saddle is thick allowing better intonation adjustment, and also higher, which brings out more sound. I've had no work done to mine in 23 years, and it still plays as well as it did when brand new -- with the exception of being due for some fret work thanks to being played. Value: The only guitars I like as much as mine are either priceless vintage guitars or else very expensive guitars, like Koa Taylors and custom guitars. There are excellent guitars at less than half the price, but none I like nearly as much. The Wow Factor: If I found a better guitar I could afford, I'd buy it in a flash. Overall: My son will inherit this guitar.

Martin HD-28 Acoustic Customer Review submitted September 15, 2004

Sound: I really did not know that much about Martins except from reading stuff on their website. I had been playing a Fender DG22 for about 3 years and had gotten good enough to justify getting a finer instrument. Although I had not played much, I'm a natural musician and know tone. I started trying out Martins in some stores trying to figure out what the differences were in the models and comparing them to Taylors and Gibsons, etc. One day I was holding a D28 and the store guy was holding an HD28 and he strummed it. The D28 I was holding started to resonate. And the look on the store guy's face was astonishment at how good the HD28 sounded. I could tell he was shocked. I guess with all his experience, he had never looked closely at Martins. And here is a guy who had been working there for years. I could just feel the thing in my gut. There was definitely something visceral in the sound of the HD28. But it was marked up and had been handled alot by customers. I gave it a few days and went to other stores and tried out RainSongs and some other guitars priced around the HD28. The sound of the HD28 was haunting me, however. I found myself standing, finally, in a different store with an HD28 again in my hands, and this one had been built 2 years before but not handled much. It was perfect, even with the old strings and having set in a case or high up on a display wall for all that time. I was not imagining things. The sound was there just like in the other one days before. By then I understood the scalloped bracing and all that and had learned about the reputation of the HD28. When I realized that I was talking out loud to the guitar as if it were alive I bought it right there.
14 of 15 people (93.33%) found this review helpful. Did you?

"There is a reason they have the reputation." submitted July 18, 2006

Music Style: varies
Sound: Beautiful balanced tone that improves with age. I have gont through a lot of guitars and primaraly used acoustics for practice this one opened my eyes it is truly a responsive guitar. I wish i would have sprung for one a long time ago. I wasted a lot of time being a dumbass. (the others are just a good syndrome in my view they arent) Feature: i guess if you wanted a pickup there would be something to improve on. Ease of Use: See above. Quality: Again a truly beautiful guitar in appreance and playability. It is a joy to have in ones hands. Value: I felt i got a good deal when i bought it. I would say the quality and tone is great and how do you put a price on it. Manufacturer Support: I would expect it to be good but have never needed any. The Wow Factor: If you play it and close your eyes and listen to it and feel the resonance you will be hooked. Overall: Great guitars only get better with age.
10 of 11 people (90.91%) found this review helpful. Did you?

Martin HD-28 Acoustic Customer Review submitted March 21, 2008

Sound: This guitar rings like heaven's bells - loud and even. Once you have played one, you will either own one, or will always want to.

"HD28 on a no-interest installment " submitted May 3, 2014

By zachary m in sanford, FL
Musical Background: songwriter piano/perc/guitar
Music Style: organic acoustic
Overall: love this company. the guitar is perfect. the payment plan is perfect. starvin' artists can't always dish out 3k at once. love love love love love this company! This guitar is super boomy. The playability is unmatched. I spent 8 months playing every single guitar i could get my hands on...and when I played the HD28, i stopped looking. highs are very present and mids are perfect. but the lows are so juicy!

"My wife bought this as gift from zZounds around 5/07/12" submitted May 27, 2012

By Shirley S in Sandy Hook, KY
Musical Background: My husband Plays and has for over55 years
Music Style: Pluegrass and bluegrass Gospel
Overall: i have been playing martins for over 50 years.I did not expect much when i 1st seen the guitar and thought it would be years before it came around.Biggest mistake i have ever made over a guitar.This thing will rattle the windows.I play it every day and each time that i play it it sounds better.itmake my old Martins sound weak.The 28 is stronger in the bass strings and I cantfind any fault at all with the tenor strings,I reccomend this guitar to any one who picks grass or gospel grass,if your finger picking or flat picking with a plastic pick you will not find better.People who knows the old Dr. from the circuit knows that im an Martin man.You could not run fast enough to give me a taylor or an Ovation Guild and so on.I reccomend this HD-28 to any picker who wants to improve his game.thank you for reading this and taking it into consieration Your ole Fried Doc PS.The Folks at this co could not have been any bettter to deal with they are greatAAAAAAAAAAAAAA+++++++++++++++++++++++

"Awesome Guitar" submitted March 18, 2014

By eitan B in Florida, FL
Musical Background: beginner guitar player/ Collector
Overall: I Know I'm a beginner guitar player however I would go intoguitar center to try out different guitars and I would always go back to the HD 28 Martin . it just sounds awesome and it's easy to play for me . I also like to collect guitars more then play them. I also like the bass sound and the guitar is very loud .

"martin hd 28" submitted September 26, 2013

By scott peterson
Musical Background: Playing 30+years professionally
Music Style: rock blues country and jazz
Overall: the guitar itsself is great, plays great and sounds great, the trouble Im having is getting it to sound good plugged in, I put a K&K Pure Mini in it and Im just not happy with the sound, I even bought a LR Baggs venue DI Preamp pedal for it, it helped alot but Im still not satified

"The best value acoustic made." submitted November 16, 2003

By a customer from computer.org
Music Style: Alternative
Sound: It has a midrange that is warm and resonant. The sound quality is superb, both natural and when miced. Feature: The manufacturing is without question of the very finest quality and standards. Simplicity and elegance reign king here. Quality: The simplest, finest guitar standards Value: You can't beat this price and you can pay a lot more. Manufacturer Support: I had a hairline crack (humdity issues here in the northeast US) appear on the pin bridge that required a warranty (cosmetic) repair. The Martin authorized luthier CAME TO MY HOUSE to get the guitar and to return it. Awesome. I have never seen service this good. The Wow Factor: This is it: THE acoustic standard. Overall: This one is a keeper. Did more to reinvigorate my playing than anything I've seen or done in the last 15 years. You will not be able to put this guitar down once you start getting the lush lyrical quality of its sound in your ears.

"My favorite for over 20 years."

Music Style: Americana, alternative, rock, jazz
Sound: Deep and clear sound, crisp and responsive. Records well, with proper mike placement (typical for dreadnoughts -- otherwise boomy at 150 Hz). Had it since I bought it new in 1981, and the ones they're building today are improved in several ways, especially the bridge saddle. The sound is especially responsive to finger-picking, thanks to the scalloped X bracing. Yet it's solid enough to handle VERY hard plectrum picking or strumming. If you want one guitar for both purposes, this is your baby. If you can afford two premium guitars, you might want a D28 or HD28 for plectrum, and a Taylor or Bourgeoise for fingerpicking. Feature: Not really applicable, but I love rosewood back & sides, spruce top, and ebony fingerboard (which will last longer than any other common wood). I've played the heck out of mine for two decades. Quality: I've tried a number lately in stores, and they're all remarkably similar. This is one of the few guitars (like Taylors) that you can buy sight unseen. Value: Other than a couple much more expensive Taylor models, I haven't ever played a guitar I like better. The Wow Factor: Every musician I play with covets my guitar, except for a few who like a much brighter ("tinglier") sound like the Martin O series, or people who have "super premium" guitars like top of the line Taylors. Overall: If I had it to do over again, 10 times out of 10 I'd buy this same guitar. If it was stolen or destroyed, I'd go right out and get one just like it, only the wood wouldn't have that nice aged color and finish "checking" that people love -- on the other hand, the newer ones have better action, intonation, and slightly bigger sound thanks to improvements in bridge and saddle.
28 of 29 people (96.55%) found this review helpful. Did you?

"Great Guitar" submitted July 30, 2005

Music Style: Alternative and Country
Sound: I made four seperate trips to the store over several months. Each time I played many high-end guitars and the HD-28 consistantly had the best sound and most even tone of anything I played. This trip I bought it.

"Good Crapper for the $" submitted July 22, 2005

Overall
Sound: they are trying 2 rip you off!! If you hit the strings you don't hear a sound!! Pouring a drink is louder. Feature: By now all I do is take dumps in it. Quality: the neck is at a 90 degree angle hows that quality? Value: it makes a good toilet for the price. but if you dont take of the strings it can pinch your ass. Manufacturer Support: The neck is at a F@#!ing 90 degree angle but the company refused to refund it and said it should play fine. The Wow Factor: i guess it looked ok ontill i took a dump in it. Overall: it has a 90 degree angle neck and you can crap in it.

When you call, mention priority code 14RM-SSZS. Llame Gratis en Español: 800-460-7976