When you call, mention priority code 173B-M7P9

Rating and Reviews: Martin DCX1E Cutaway

The Martin DCX1E gives you classic Martin tone and modern Martin construction, with Fishman Presys Plus electronics to recreate your unplugged sound.

"Good at twice the price!" submitted February 19, 2007

Musical Background: Hobbyist, 12yrs
Music Style: Rock, Metal, Alternative, Jazz
Sound: When I purchsed this guitar I played about 12 different makes and models before choosing this one. Overall this had the best sound. It even had a decent sound when compared to a Martin that was 3 times the price. Feature: The subtleness of this guitar are brilliant. I like the natural finish, the lack of fret markers on the fingerboard enhances rather than detracts from this. The tuners are good, although the nut could do with some lubricant added in the store setup. The pickups work well, although I'm yet to use them for a gig or jamming. Ease of Use: How is a quality instrument ever hard to use? Quality: I'd say that for the money this instrument is hard to beat. You can get better sounding and (simmilar) playing guitars, but they are far more expensive. The spruce top and HPL sides and back are terrific for this price range. Value: When it outshines more expensive instruments you know its good value. Manufacturer Support: Haven't had a problem to send to the company. Overall: I bought this to be my main acoustic. I didn't want to fall into the trap of spending too much money to be too afraid to play my baby. So this instrument fits the bill nicely.

"Outstanding sound and playablity for a bargin price." submitted December 23, 2005

Musical Background: I play a little
Music Style: lots of stuff
Sound: Although, this is a lower priced Martin, it still has the great Martin sound. This is a great sounding guitar with incredible projection unplugged and sounds great through a quality acoustic amp. You can spend a lot more and have a no improvement in the quality of the sound Feature: Seems adaquate, feature wise, however to stap it at the neck the reasonable option is to install a strap button. The strap/plug in point at the bottom of the guitar demands you be careful. Most Acoustics really lack good connections for straps, and this is no exception. Quality: This is a Martin and this is although rather inexpensive, a high quality guitar and if you know hardware this is investment quality even though it has the HPL body. It can only appreciate over the years. Value: For the quality guitar this is the price is on target. You can spend a lot more and not get a better guitar. Manufacturer Support: Rated a 10 with no reason other than the Manufacturer's reputation. I am confident there is support waiting if I need it. The Wow Factor: The satin finish looks great. Understated and elegant. Has a lack of flash which actually is very classy looking. Takamine provides simuliar finishs on there EAN 40 models. These Martins look great and reflect an approach to manufacturing quality instrument which is important if you plan on keeping an instrument. Overall: Only issue I have with this guitar is the fact it is a dreadnaught body which of course is good for the unplugged side of the instrument. I actually prefer a Grand Auditorium body which is easier to hold and play. Also I prefer the looks of the Grand Auditorium body over the dreadnaught

"Martin - can't beat it!" submitted October 15, 2007

By a customer from eilersens.net
Musical Background: Active musician - 42 years experience
Music Style: Acoustic, classic rock
Sound: I had an HD-28 for over 20 years and this matches the sound (and even may surpass it). I feel the familiar "Martin reverberation" in my chest when I play. Simply the best. Feature: Nice electronics, but it doesn't clutter itself up with unnecessary features. Just a pure pleasure to play and listen to. Ease of Use: I had a setup done to lower the action a bit and it now plays better than any other guitar I've ever held (in my 42nd year of playing). Quality: Seems light, but sturdy. I will be careful though, considering the unfinished top and back. Value: Worth more than my HD-28 (bought in 1982 for $2000)! A real steal! Manufacturer Support: Haven't need any The Wow Factor: Beautiful in its' simplicity. Overall: I'm getting up there and if this lasts as long as the HD-28 did, it will be the last guitar I own!
39 of 41 people (95.12%) found this review helpful. Did you?

"Simply the best!" submitted December 30, 2009

By a customer from yahoo.ca
Music Style: Rock & Country
Sound: The fact that this guitar will sound better with age ... almost scares me! That Martin thump in the chest while playing, the crisp and clear highs. I played over a hundred guitars in my search and when I strummed this guitar once ... I knew. This guitar actually made some guitars priced at 2 and 3K sound cheap. There were guitars that compared but way out of this price range. Feature: The Fishman 4 pick up is great, the rest of the guitar is no flash. Martin&Co. did everything possible to make a reasonably priced guitar that sounds great. The HPL neck, sides and back ... strong. I think I'll have this guitar for a very long time. The only reason I'm scoring a 7 is that with the pretty inlays, artwork and fancy finishes on so many guitars out there ... those are features ... all you get in this guitar is fantastic sound and in all of the simplicity a surprisingly good looking instrument. Ease of Use: Right off the stand ... played like a dream. I live in a northern climate that is unusually dry during the winter months. I use a sound hole humidifier and I also put a small container of water in the guitar case ... in the area under the neck. I keep the guitar case laying flat during the winter. I had read that these guitars were somewhat tempermental so I thought I'd just be cautious. Outside of that ... It's still a dream! Quality: It's a Martin. Value: The best value on the market. I would recommend that you try / buy in person because I was lucky enough to try three DCX1e's when I purchased mine. Although subtle, there were differences in the sound of each. Manufacturer Support: It's a Martin. The Wow Factor: If I could only meet a woman who I could depend on completely, that sounded so sweet ALL the time and told me EXACTLY what I wanted to hear. Overall: For the price ... absolutely unbeatable.

Martin DCX1E Cutaway Customer Review submitted September 3, 2010

Overall
Musical Background: Played in different groups for several years.
Music Style: Rock, Folk, Heavy Metal, Punk
Sound: This Martin sounds better and holds tuning unlike any other guitar. I sold all my other acoustic guitars after buying this one. For the money it is truly the best value with the top of quality. Although, I did shave the bridge saddle down and put tone sustain pegs on it. Martin has really constructed this guitar well. Feature: The cutaway design not only looks good, it gives the access needed to the higher frets. The woods used give that Martin tone that really rings out. Constructed very well with the design and features. Ease of Use: The guitar sounds better than any other acoustic that I have played. The neck is narrow to wrap around your thumbs for certain chords. Yet, wide enough to get good fingering with chords. Quality: The only change that it would need is maybe a built in tuner.

"If you need a new guitar and don't have a lot of cash to lay out, this is the one for you." submitted December 16, 2005

Music Style: Country, classic rock, folk
Sound: For being a composite body, the sound is fantastic. For the money, I'd give it a 10, but I played this guitar alongside a solid mahogany Martin. There was enough difference for me to tell which was which but for the 650 bones, you can't go wrong. Feature: My only thought is that this guitar should come with a case instead of having to shell out the extra money. Otherwise, the guitar is great as equipped. The Fishman pre-amp/pick-up setup reproduces the sound of the guitar perfectly. Quality: The only reason I gave it a 9 was because the spruce top appears to not have any finish at all. I would be worried about something happening that would damage the wood instead of just damaging the finish of another guitar... such as the (this NEVER happens, huh?) spilled beer and such. Value: This has got to be the best bang for the bucks out there. No question about that. The difference in sound between the DCX1E and higher priced "real wood" models tells me that the other models are way overpriced or the DCX1E is a very good value. Manufacturer Support: Since I don't own this instrument yet, I have had no need to contact the company directly... but the information available on their website is exceptional. The Wow Factor: For those of us that were born with a pair of work boots in our hand instead of a silver spoon in our mouth, this guitar can't be beat. Even though the sides and back look fake, you forget about that when you put this baby in your hands and start strumming. You'd swear you were playing a much more expensive guitar so when you find a guitar that sounds this good for around $650, don't pass it up. Overall: Once I get this guitar, I don't expect to need another for quite some time. I have enough confidence in this guitar and the Martin name that I don't even think I'll need a duplicate back up instrument.

"Very satisfied owner of a DCX1E Martin" submitted December 1, 2006

By a customer from macon.ga.us
Overall
Musical Background: Hobbyist for 38 years,played in high school rock band years ago
Music Style: Rock,Country,Jazz,Folk
Sound: I have played guitar for 38 years.I have tried many acoustics over the years,and this guitar has an astounding sound for its price,both plugged in and unplugged.My other acoustics include a "Little Martin",a Fender DG-22,a Martin Sigma DM1STE and a Samick Greg Bennett.After playing the Martin DCX1E for a week,I'm trading the Fender and Sigma in for a Blueridge 12-string.My new Martin has made the other acoustics orphans of the "guitar room". Feature: The guitar's features are somewhat basic.That is one reason the price is relatively modest,at least for a Martin.However,the tuners are solid and tight,the pickup is quite nice,the neck is smooth and fast to play,and the overall construction of the guitar is pretty rugged.Those are the features that count.I do wish it had the usual abalone locator dots found on most guitar necks,though. Ease of Use: I'm still learning the subtleties of the pickup, through my Peavey Transtube 110 amp and my Marshall MGD 30 amp.But,the tone of this baby is sweet,plugged in or not.Like my Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus,it seems to almost play itself. Quality: Any instrument can be damaged by abuse, but this one feels positively solid.One needs to be careful with the unfinished top,and the mahogany veneer sides,but the overall construction is quite good (I was also a boat carpenter for three years,many moons ago). Value: I probably have one of the best "values" for a DCX1E of most owners.Before I bought it from the local downtown shop,some kid knocked it off of the counter.$150 worth of "luthier" work later,I traded $400 worth of 3 modest used guitars for this one.Yes!!!!! Manufacturer Support: I haven't had to call Martin for any help.I have heard that Martin service is quite good,though. The Wow Factor: This is not a "sexy" guitar.The DCX1E,like a truly good woman,shows her heart,soul and beauty from within.The cheap and flashy looking guitars,like the cheap fems,try to distract you with their outward appearance,hoping you'll miss their lack of true inward value. Overall: I don't expect to ever dispose of this guitar,unless,God forbid,it has an untimely demise.Were that to happen,I would have to have another one.Its that good,even at the full (undamaged)price.I would have to go to a $1,000 range to truly find anything significantly better.

"Martin mid entry level acoustic/electric best value" submitted April 27, 2011

Overall
Musical Background: active musician, club bands, church
Music Style: rock,blues,folk
Sound: sounds awesome unplugeed and even better amplified Feature: Nice Fishman electronics. On board tuner is perfect, no fumbling around looking for a tuner Ease of Use: Electronics very easy to use and not noisy Quality: It is a Martin, even though it is not top of the line , it is a niceguitar for under $500 Value: Best guitar for any amount of money Manufacturer Support: Not had to use but I am sure they are great

"Great guitar for the price" submitted March 17, 2008

Overall
Sound: This guitar sounds great. I've been wanting a new acoustic for a while. It sounds wonderful, action is great. Shoot, it even smells good. Value: Really good value for the money. I know if I have to sell it down the road, I'll get my money back. Not that I'll ever sell it.

"A SEXY GIRL WAKING DOWN THE FRETS" submitted January 6, 2009

Overall
Musical Background: band for three years
Music Style: indie rock n roll "the kooks"
Sound: The sound is great man! output levels are nicely balanced when using pickup, acoustic it sounds great of course there are better martin's but for the price you can't get any better, I tried a couple of gibson's in the same price (a little higher) and found this guitar much more soft in the bends, and the truth is that it's a great comfortable guitar. Feature: Simple as in "no funny sh3238" Quality: Looks great, If this was a woman you would fall for her surely. Manufacturer Support: Never The Wow Factor: Tolda ya Overall: Just buy it man, no doubt bout it

"A Gem of a Guitar" submitted August 24, 2009

Music Style: rock / country blues
Sound: This guitar sounds excellent when used acoustically. Tones are clear, crisp, and undistorted. It sounds better than my D-28 that costs significantly more. For the money, this is the best sounding guitar I tried. I have used this guitar for recording and for live gigs. I find that the bass really drops off, even after adjusting the tone controls and my Fender Acousitic amp and that the E string sounds thinner than I like when playing leads. I believe that adjusting the postion of the pick up inside the guitar may help, but I haven't done that yet. Ease of Use: This guitar is extermely fun to play. Upon purchase, it was necessary to have the action lowered. Quality: As this guitar is of HPL construction, it is extremely durable for gigging. It doesn't go out of tune hardly at all when exposed to temperature and humidity changes. As there is no clear coating, it is susceptible to scratches. Value: Dollar for dollar, you will be hard pressed to find a guitar that plays and sounds as good. Manufacturer Support: I had to have the action adjusted....covered under the Martin Warranty The Wow Factor: This is a beautiful instrument...It looks as nice as it sounds! The lack of position markers only enhances the appearence. The contrast of the spuce top with the "rosewood look" sides and back is very appealling. It is impossible to walk past it without picking it up and playing it. Overall: I have had my guitar for about 2 years and it has caused me no concerns. No idea what the longevity will be, but I play it daily and it is my main guitar for weekend gigs. If I wear it out, I will definitely buy another one!

"GREAT GUITAR PERIOD" submitted November 26, 2005

Music Style: contemporary
Sound: the sound of this guitar is beautiful to say the least Quality: its a martin...the best ever Value: this guitar should be priced at about $3,000 Manufacturer Support: no problems so far The Wow Factor: id sleep with it Overall: this product will satisfy me for as long as i own it

"This this calls your name..." submitted January 11, 2005

By a customer from sbcglobal.net
Music Style: acoustic alternative
Sound: this thing rings....there is just something about this guitar that speaks to me, its like it wispers to your soul while you play. I love it. Feature: the electronics are awesome Quality: awesome quality

"buyer beware, quality control" submitted April 7, 2008

By a customer from yale.edu
Music Style: Rock, Blues, Folk
Sound: Sounds pretty good for an HPL side wall and back guitar. The people at Martin really know how to get the most out of just the top wood. I bought this guitar because it seems to have pretty good bass response for a guitar in this price range. Feature: The tuners on this guitar are okay. You will have to retune every time you pick up the guitar; however, you should be good once tuned for an hour or so. Again, the side wall construction is HPL, which I don't particularly care for. It's a solid top guitar,which is always desireable. The neck is pretty fast, and the frets appeared polished pretty well. Ease of Use: This guitar sounds very good for this level guitar. Quality: It's a solid top guitar, but this solid top is EXTREMELY fragile. If you bump it into anything, even softly by accident, the top will dent. The finish is extremely thin. If your strumming technique causes you to sweep out past the extremely small pickguard on this guitar, you will wear through the finish in a year, just as I did, and be on your way to a hole in the front of your guitar. I had this fixed twice. The neck on my guitar was not made well. I live in New England, where the climate changes often. I kept my guitar in a case, with a humidifier and a humidistat for its entire life. The neck still warped in the winter to the point of almost being unplayable! All the frets would buzz no matter how hard I tried to adjust the truss rod. So, this was only a summer guitar. Next, in the summer, when I set the truss rod correctly, it was still almost impossible to get rid of all fret buzz. I sent my first guitar back to the store thinking I had a lemon and then took my second to a luther and he said the fret dressing job was quite poor. I lived with it despite the fact. Next comes to the reason this guitar get's a 1 for quality. The EXTREMELY fragile top cracked on this guitar while in the case. In the winter, with the humidifier in, the temperature in my apartment was at 65 and I opened the case to see a split down the center. This is unexceptable. This guitar systematically fell apart. I now own a Gibson Hummingbird. Pay for quality. If you don't, your low quality guitar will fall apart on you. This quitar is made out of real wood (at least on the top). But it must be the lowest quality real wood you can get. Value: Since it will break, I don't consider this a deal. Manufacturer Support: Martin were kind enough to point out that since my apartment dipped down to 65F in the winter that this voided the warrently. So, as long as your guitar never is exposed to less than 40% humidity and 70F, you have a lifetime warrenty. Otherwise, you are on your own. Come on. Even if you try religiously to care for your guitar, that is unrealistic. If you transport it from the store to your house in the winter the guitar sees less that 70F. It's like there is no warrenty at all. The Wow Factor: Don't buy a Martin just because it's a Martin. Even Martin turns out bad guitars. Overall: Pay for quality. Gibson, high end Martin, high end Taylor, high end Ovation even.

"Martin Quality At An Affordable Price!" submitted January 9, 2012

Overall
Musical Background: Playing guitar 20+ years. Jam at home mainly, but have played on stage before as well.
Music Style: Rock, christian, country, alternative, folk
Sound: A beautiful full sound. All the notes ring out very nicely and the sustain is impressive. Believe I played it non-stop for over an hour first time out just because the sound was that motivating... Feature: The advertisement actually mentioned a Fishman Classic pickup...guitar actually came with a Fishman PreSys + with tuner. Pickup is fantastic and sounds great plugged in. Ease of Use: Action is great on this guitar. Getting great sounds and less hand fatigue compared to other guitars I've played. Quality: Guitar is well made and feels solid in the hands. Well constructed and beautiful to look at. Value: The quality of this guitar is normally found in instruments at higher price ranges. I was very pleased with the instrument overall and the price I paid for it. Manufacturer Support: Have not had any issues with this guitar! The Wow Factor: It's a Martin. You get the Martin quality, sound, looks and a very reasonable price! Overall: I'll be playing this guitar for a long while to come. Good for playing on my own, or on a stage. This instrument is that good!

"great indoor guitar." submitted November 21, 2007

Overall
Sound: this guitar sounds great. i played it against several guitars in the same price range even some over a thousand and the crispness of sound was better. Feature: sounds great thru an amp. Ease of Use: sounds amazing Quality: its unfinished so im pretty scared to take it out considering i gig alot and there is always beer spillage and collisions with drums or mic stands. still havent gig'd with it and may actually return it for something that can actually handle the bars better. but other than that i'd love it. Value: i think it'd be a better value at like 550 considering its basic stripped down appearance. still looks really nice though. Manufacturer Support: no clue The Wow Factor: no sex appeal whatsoever. i took it to show at a party and no one commented that it was beautiful. i like to have something that looks nice AND sounds nice. this is an ugly chick with an awesome personality. Overall: im probably going to need to trade it in for something more road worthy.

"Dont buy this guitar." submitted November 18, 2007

Musical Background: intermediate
Music Style: country
Sound: The sound is really terrible. all the bass and mid-range go out the back of this plastic guitar. the back and sides are plastic so there is no place to stop the sounds from escaping out the back. Feature: I wish this was a solid all wood guitar. the neck is laminated scrap wood and not a solid piece. where you install the strings is plastic and not wood. Ease of Use: you cant get good sound from this guitar because is isnt solid wood. Quality: overall the cheapest made guitar martin makes. I called martin and asked them why they made such a cheap guitar and they said for the cheaper price. well, if something happens to the plastic back and sides you are out of luck. it will cost the price of this guitar again to replace the plastic back or sides. otherwise, all an authorized repair place can do is glue it back together or patch it. Value: dont buy this guitar. better to buy a cheaper price solid wood guitar because the overall sound will be so much better. Manufacturer Support: yes, they were easy to reach. there were very unsympathetic. The Wow Factor: no sex appeal about a plastic guitar. Overall: Im selling this guitar as soon as I can. because the plastic back is cracked the store wont take it back.

When you call, mention priority code 173B-M7P9. Llame Gratis en Español: 800-460-7976