When you call, mention priority code 20H-LFFQ

Rating and Reviews: Martin D-16GT Acoustic

A solid spruce top, solid mahogany back and sides, and scalloped X-bracing help the Martin D-16GT dreadnought acoustic guitar resonate with warm tone.

"Fantastic purchasing experience" submitted May 22, 2014

By Curt Dony in Carol Stream, IL
Overall
Musical Background: Playing 32 years both as a professional and for my own enjoyment.
Music Style: All types with a focus on classic rock, and my own original music.
Overall: Received my D-16GT yesterday. The guitar arrived is pristine condition. Beautiful, simple design and absolutely stunning spruce top (even a little bit of flaming in the grain which was very cool). Of course, I expected it would need a set up, but to my pleasant surprise the guitar was ready to play, IN TUNE, and the action was perfect for my playing style. I think I'll change the strings out to a light gauge, but other than that this is one of the best American made guitars I have ever purchased for under $1500.00. I'll probably add a pickup in the future, but this guitar has plenty of volume projection and handles the lows and highs with rich clarity. Very impressed! What do you expect? It's a Martin!

"Total Stisfaction.I LOve my Martin!!" submitted January 30, 2004

By a customer from adelphia.net
Music Style: Rock, Blues
Sound: Beautiful,deep,rich low tones & crisp clear highs. Feature: Guitar came with a beatiful hardshell case. The woods used in this guitar are excellent throughout. Mahogany back & sides and a Spruce top. Quality: Fit and finish are excellent.I could find no flaws. Value: Absolutely! In fact, in my opinon it's worth more. I would have paid more if I had to. The Wow Factor: The beauty of the D16GT is in it's simplicity. Nothing fancy or pretentious. The Gloss Top & Matte finish sies combo really works for me. It is beautiful just to look at. Overall: I will probably play this Guitar for life. I can not see a reason to ever buy another guitar.
27 of 28 people (96.43%) found this review helpful. Did you?

"D16GT... Solid wood, super value" submitted June 1, 2003

By a customer from bellsouth.net
Music Style: Acustic Guitar - Bluegrass/Country
Sound: Very good sound. Bright highs and resonate lows. I flatpick bluegrass and country and love the sound. The only reason I don't rate it 10 is there are no 10's. Feature: Very nice looking guitar. And super workmanship. I wish it had a little "dressier fretboard. I do not find the micarta fretboard to have "ANY" negative effect on the sound or playability as some would lead you to believe. Quality: I found absolutely No quality issues. In fit or finish. I found this somewhat unusual since every other guitar I own as well as some other Martins I've played, had some blims. Value: I am convinced this is the best solid wood buy out there right now for under $1000. Manufacturer Support: I've had to call once for a service related question and that experience was very positive and followed up via email. Again there are no 10's. The Wow Factor: This guitar is made for playing not dating. Overall: I really don't regret buying this instrument and I have other guitars that don't get played much anymore because I own the D16GT. It is my intention to keep this guitar.
28 of 30 people (93.33%) found this review helpful. Did you?

"Sweetest voice of any Dreadnought, great for Church" submitted May 23, 2014

By anthony k in ocala, FL
Musical Background: Professional church musician
Music Style: Christian, Blues, Folk.
Sound: My prior main was a 1996 Taylor 510w with an Englemann top that I had to retire. The D-16gt is the first and only guitar I have played that sounds like that one. No muddiness at all, and subtle picking sounds fantastic and clear. Feature: The top has nice narrow grain and lots of cross-silking which is a sign of some good, strong wood. The Richlite fingerboard is very smooth. Ease of Use: The top is highly responsive. I have heard people say that some Martins need to "open up," but this one is the most responsive guitar I have ever played. Quality: Construction is flawless. Value: This is an amazing value for the money. Blows the Taylor sapeles out of the water. Manufacturer Support: n/a The Wow Factor: The perfect construction and the beautiful top. The reddish color of the mahogany is very rich and warm. Overall: Just a sweet, balanced voice with great projection and sustain. crystal clear. beautifully made.

"Martin d16gt" submitted November 4, 2014

By James Tannahill in Wichita Falls, TX
Musical Background: I'm a late learner
Music Style: Rock, alternative, country and bluegrass
Overall: I am a beginner and had been in a search to find a guitar which I enjoy learning to play....after many trials and tribulations I kept coming back to the Martin D16GT...I loved the tone of the guitar....zZounds made it an easy purchase and I am thankful for their Play as you Pay program or would not have been able to get my Martin. I will do all my purchases from zZounds in the future.

"Martin quality at a great price" submitted December 8, 2015

By Timothy Holmes in Charleston, WV
Overall
Musical Background: Been playing over 40 years. Have played in various groups. Currently play in a Bluegrass Gospel Group.
Music Style: Bluegrass, Bluegrass Gospel
Overall: I bought my D16GT a few months ago and am well pleased. Craftsmanship is top notch as can be expected from Martin. I have owned several Martins as well as other brands such as Gibson, Taylor, Gallagher etc. The D16GT compares favorably to the higher end Martins I have owned, D-28, D-35, CEO Model, HD-35 and even a D-18 Golden Era, although these were fancier and all had great tone, the D16GT holds its own with them as it is an all solid wood instrument. Although the bracing is not forward shifted it does allow the top to resonate well and the action and feel of the neck is awesome. The top is gloss however the back and sides are satin which I assume keeps the cost down a bit as it does not take as much labor as a fully buffed out guitar. I used a polishing compound on the back and sides and buffed out the finish to a beautiful shine which really shows the wood grain and its beautiful stain. If your looking to own a Martin and your budget is limited don't hesitate to pick one of these up, you get an American Nazareth PA Martin, all solid wood guitar with a Martin Hard Case and limited Life Time Warranty at s fraction of the cost of say a D-28 or D-35.

"Martin D-16GT" submitted May 8, 2014

By Eddie Parent in Pocahontas, AR
Overall
Musical Background: I have been playing for 38 years. I used to play with a Bluegrass band. I'm thanking about doing it again.
Music Style: Bluegrass, Country, Folk and Christian Music.
Overall: Very nice Guitar, Got it today, right out of the box, did not have to tune it. Action was Excellent!

"Saved my Bacon" submitted December 19, 2015

By Fredric Vaughan in Edmonds, WA
Musical Background: Professional for 30 years
Music Style: I ve done it all..
Overall: I came off the plane to find my 92 Martin D16 crushed while in its flight case.Had a session to do in 4 days. While the airline came to the conclusion it was their fault i needed a replacement.zZounds to the rescue. with the pay to play i was able to not only get a replacement fast but the new version is as beautiful sounding as my dead one was maybe a little more robust in its articulation. Beautiful guitar very well built. The session went as if nothing ever happened.Thank You zZounds for saving my bacon.

"Great sound, but does it record well?" submitted November 7, 2004

Overall
Musical Background: highly experienced aging musician
Music Style: Jazz, new age, folk, latin.
Sound: At first the sound simply blew me away. Then I recorded it with a high end large diaphragm mic. and listened again: 10/10 for the bass end, 9/10 for the top, but the midrange is nasal and only rates 5/10. I guess age might mellow this somewhat. Feature: Simple, no frills and thats just fine. The material used for the fretboard feels ok, but using this for the bridge itself is questionable. The sound might be better still if it had an ebony bridge, for example. I'd pay the extra for that. Quality: Quality of build seems very good indeed.The wood used for the top is not the closest grain I've seen, however, and looks like a slice of my antique kitchen table top! Nicely mathed sets, though, and the sound is good. Value: Good value, providing it stays in shape years down the line: the new bracing and materials used have yet to stand the test of time! Manufacturer Support: no experience The Wow Factor: The sound and tonal textures this guitar produces would seduce most players instantly: first impressions can be deceiving at times, especially when seduction is involved! So I would say just check on the overall sound spectrum, especially the midrange and see if other instruments might offer a better overall balance. Other than that, grab it off the shelf and go4it!! Overall: Pretty handy guitar: loadsa volume and tone with light strings on: I already own lots of guitars, all high end, mostly mature,I give this new fangled technology a whirl and see what it can do! Satisfaction longterm will depend on how the guitar settles in and ages.
10 of 12 people (83.33%) found this review helpful. Did you?

"Cute guitar with beautiful sound." submitted May 9, 2006

By a customer from alltel.net
Music Style: Gospel bluegrass
Sound: I did own a 1971 modle D18. The D16GT out plays it, out sounds it. It's tone is beautiful in all ranges. Ease of Use: I have small hands. The neck is perfect. Best playing flattop I've ever played. Quality: Simple and clean. Value: Real good value. I played the D28 and D35. For the money this guitar is great. The Wow Factor: Just plain in looks but who needs looks when you can sing like the D16GT.

"love this guitar" submitted January 5, 2016

By PJ W
Musical Background: 20 yrs jamming
Overall: I got my d-16gt in 2008. I tried out a lot of acoustics before I bought this one. A friend of mine was with me when I first played this and told me I got this really peaceful look on my face while I was playing. As they say, play enough guitars and the right one will find you. Get it setup by a good luthier and you will love it even more.

"IT'S A MARTIN WHAT ELSE DO YOU NEED TO SAY." submitted August 26, 2008

By a customer from CHARTER.NET
Musical Background: HOBBYIST
Music Style: ROCK, COUNTRY, BLUEGRASS
Sound: IT HAS THAT GREAT MARTIN SOUND WITH LOTS OF BASS! Feature: THERE IS NOTHING ON IT THAT YOU DON'T REALLY NEED. Ease of Use: I HAD TO HAVE IT SETUP BUT THEN IT PLAYS LIKE BUTTER! Quality: IT IS A MARTIN. WHAT ELSE CAN YOU SAY. Value: THIS IS THE BEST SOUNDING AND HIGHEST QUALITY GUITAR YOU CAN GET FOR THE MONEY! Manufacturer Support: NONE NEEDED! The Wow Factor: IT IS A MARTIN AND YOU CAN'T GET MORE SEXY THAN THAT! Overall: I WILL KEEP IT FOREVER , NO MATTER WHAT ELSE I GET OVER TIME. IT SIMPLY SOUND AND PLAYS GREAT.

"D-16 construction problem" submitted March 16, 2004

Music Style: Classic rock, new rock, folk,
Sound: decent timbre and tone but the highs aren't as crisp as cheaper gits. The B string doesn't ring clear anywhere, even open, which I've been told is inherent in D16's. Quality: My Martin is 3 yrs old. Kept in the case 98% of the time. Nothing but light gauge strings every graced it's fretboard. Moderate flatpicking (occassional heavy) and fingerstyle. Now the complaint: The bracing under the top is separating and causing the bridge to lift which in turn is damaging the gloss top. This is also happening at the neck. My first suspicion was string tension but it's always been at standard tuning. I'm taking it to a Martin repair center this weekend so we'll see what they have to say. But as it is I'd never buy another Martin below an D-18. This is legendary quality??? Value: It would be a 10 value if it weren't screwing up. I give it a 7 nonetheless because, event tho it has problems, it still plays and sounds good. The Wow Factor: I love the simplicity of the Martin look. To me that's sexy. But quality of sound and construction is more important. I'd buy a $200 git if it's built better than this. Overall: I'm already looking for a replacement axe. I hear Alvarez makes a great git!

"Very Nice guitar and Value" submitted January 10, 2012

Musical Background: Intermediate
Music Style: Country & Rock
Sound: Amazing sound, good bass very bright sound. Feature: For some its a little plain but I like it that way. Ease of Use: Action is a little high so I need to get it setup for my preference Quality: Absolutely perfect not a single blemish, very light but well built Value: For the quality, payability and being made in USA its the bomb, I hate spending this kind of money on foreign stuff so being made in the USA was a definite plus. Manufacturer Support: Havent had to use them yet but I received an invitation to the factory plus a very nice thank you letter from the CEO The Wow Factor: Everyone who has played my guitar has offered my money back for it, I just tell them to go buy it Zzounds Overall: I am very pleased with my first Martin, wouldn't part with it for anything

"One great Guitar" submitted December 25, 2011

Musical Background: 20+ years
Music Style: little bit of everything
Sound: The sound of this guitar is awesome, deep base and clean highs Feature: Action is a little high so I need to get it adjusted, but overall I'm real impressed with the craftsmanship and how light weight it is. Quality: excellent quality Value: Its pricey but worth the money The Wow Factor: So far everybody who has seen it drools over the Martin Overall: I hope to keep this guitar forever but if it suddenly dissapeared I would definitely buy another in a heartbeat

When you call, mention priority code 20H-LFFQ. Llame Gratis en Español: 800-460-7976