When you call, mention priority code 15ZN-JRN4

Rating and Reviews: M-Audio Oxygen 8 Keyboard

8 assignable knobs. 1 assignable slider. 6 transport buttons.

"Not a bad unit if one lands in your lap" submitted January 6, 2004

Music Style: Rock, Pop, Jazz, New Age, Techno
Sound: Makes no sounds of its own, except a slightly plastic percussive sound when you hit it with something. Feature: Pretty feature-packed for such a small keyboard. 8 knobs for midi controls, a data entry slider, and each key on the keyboard can be assigned as a midi controller at the push of a button -- then back to being a key again. In the back it has two midi outs for controlling computer gear and tone modules separately, and a USB interface as well. It also has THREE power options, 9v wall wart, 6 AA batteries or USB power from your computer. It is at its most useful as a midi controller, though, and less as a playable keyboard. Its very stiff plastic keys are not comfortable to play, the pitch bend and modulation wheel are in a strange place to save space, and the 21-key range is uncomfortably tiny.. even smaller than my old Moog Prodigy and Roland SH-101! But it does have a couple of lightning-fast response Octave Down/Up buttons. Still, just keep in mind that 21 keys is really small and buy it for the midi control features and you'll be happy. Quality: It's pretty solid. It's plastic, but make no mistake it's not a flimsy thin plastic. The rubber feet had fallen off mine during shipping, but they stuck right back on and haven't moved since. I've got no complaints about its ruggedness. The keys just respond pretty stiff. Value: I got mine as a bundle with the FM7 (no longer available). As a standalone, I think it's a little pricey for such a small keyboard. It's real value is as a midi controller, but you're paying for the additional feature of the keys. The Wow Factor: Let's be honest, it looks like a toy. It looks out of place next to my other gear. My 4-year-old thinks it looks cool and can't understand that I didn't buy it for him. If it doesn't prove a bit more useful soon, I'll probably go ahead and give it to him for his own computer. Overall: Ah. I got it as a bundle for less than the software alone normally costs, so I can't complain one bit. But at the market price, I don't think I'd buy one, I'd have to go for something bigger and test it out first to see how the keys respond. But the bigger ones cost as much as used synths that still have dynamite sounds, like the Korg M1 and a lot of new, low-end Yamahas that still have midi in/out. So I can't really justify buying just a midi controller.

"Not bad, not great, it just makes its job." submitted September 2, 2004

Musical Background: Producer, songwriter, keyboard player
Music Style: Rock pop, latin
Feature: The knobs and the slider are programable, wich is useful although the programming method is a little unconfortable. Quality: You know M-audio, they're not exactly the best out there. The keys feel cheap, but it makes its job. You have better options and quality with Evolution but Oxygen is the less expensive, so it

"Great budget keyboard" submitted January 6, 2008

Music Style: Trance
Sound: N/A Feature: You get what you pay for. The keys are cheap and plastic-y, but if you just need to tap out a melody into your sequencer then they get the job done. The keys aren't weighted so you may need to adjust the note velocities after recording. The 8 knobs are good, and the octave-shifting buttons are nice and quick. I wish I had got a keyboard with another octave of keys though; 2 is restrictive sometimes. Ease of Use: Everything works as it should except the transport buttons which I can't get to work with any sequencers (but that might be the sequencer's fault, idk). Also be sure to use the latest drivers from M-Audio's site, I had issues with the earlier ones. Quality: It seems more flimsy than it is; it's survived being dropped as well as more than a few rough airport luggage trips. All the same, it is plastic, so I wouldn't drop-kick it into a cement wall or do whatever drunk musicians do that makes physical quality so important. Value: When I bought it it was easily the most affordable option in its class, but that was a couple years ago so I don't know if any more worthy competitors have been introduced. I think price is its main selling point. Manufacturer Support: Haven't used it The Wow Factor: It's aesthetically appealing, but just doesn't look professional; it won't impress anyone except maybe your kids. Overall: If you need a keyboard and you're on a budget then this is a good option. I wish I'd bought one with 3 octaves though. It was my first keyboard so I thought 2 octaves would be enough, especially considering that I do simple dance music. Still, 25 keys just feels restrictive a lot of the time.

M-Audio Oxygen 8 Keyboard Customer Review submitted June 7, 2006

Overall
Sound: sound quality is not that bad im using reason i probalby just need better samples Feature: features are pretty good for only a 100 dollar keyboard Ease of Use: really easy to use no complications or tricks with this keyboard Quality: quality is pretty good the keys need to be a little bit more precise but all u need is a 12 volt 1000ma power adapter and ur good to go because there's a slight lag when u hit the keys Value: a very good price The Wow Factor: i have it Overall: really good keyboard i just wish the keys felt like those 600 dollar synths out there

"Still not the thing for a business traveller." submitted October 28, 2004

By a customer from email.arizona.edu
Overall
Musical Background: Semi Professional, grad school level musician.
Music Style: Classical, Experimental, Modern.
Sound: It's not a sound device, it's a midi controller. That said, at least the key action is silent. Feature: Actually a pretty good controller. I'm really wishing for a different product though. I want a few more keys, they don't have to be full size, or full travel, but I want at least another octave. And I want it to fit comforatbly in a laptop bag (along with the laptop), because this is what I practice on when staying in hotels, travelling for work. I carry my Oxygen-8 in my garmet bag, not in my laptop bag. So I still find myself "packing around it" as opposed to it being something I can easily carry with me. Quality: Well, I abuse it, so this might not be fair, but sometimes some of the keys get sticky. I wiggle them a bit, and it's all better. I expect to destroy this little keyboard within a year or so. Value: It was the only serious choice for the price range. Manufacturer Support: I love this company. The Wow Factor: I refuse to comment in this category. Overall: Well, I wouldn't buy it again, but that's because I'm holding out for something that travels better. If I can carry an extra bag when travelling, I might as well have an anvil case with a 61 key synth :-)

M-Audio Oxygen 8 Keyboard Customer Review submitted September 16, 2004

Feature: knobs are not 360 ...so it's bit a hassle to turn them in zero position with "midi mute" before you use them to control any parameter... ...memory is reseting all your configurations every time you turn off this controller, beats me why ...very complicated to program

"Worst peice of" submitted May 23, 2004

Overall
Music Style: techno, trip-hop, acid jazz, electronic rock., ambient
Sound: Well, as it's a controller, it doesn't make any sounds itself. Feature: It's handy having keys and knobs when you use a lot of plug-ins and soft-synths. It beats using a mouse, but the keys on this unit are loose and feel like a $25 casio toy keyboard. The pitch bend wheel was broken upon arrival. M-audio fixed it, but I don't trust it, as the whole thing rattles, feels hollow and cheap. Programmability is extremely limited. I wish I had spent more time shopping before buying this. The Novation ReMOTE 25, for example, has TONS of useful features that this one lacks, including semi-weighted keys, dedicated transport controls, user-programmable templates for all kinds of software (with overlays), and a MUCH better design for the pitch bend and mod "wheel." Quality: Broken on arrival, not repaired when I sent it back, crappy drivers, I think it's safe to say that this product is lacking in the field of quality. I honestly have a guitar shaped yamaha toy keyboard that's a more useful midi controller than this thing. Value: Well, it was cheap... but I guess they aren't lying when they say you get what you pay for. The vlaue would be fine if it were a usable controller, but $140 for a paperweight is just silly. Manufacturer Support: The one positive thing I can say is that one gentleman in M-Audio tech support was very friendly and helpful. He even gave me his cell number when their office was moving, so I didn't have to wait until after their move was finished to get my product serviced. I don't know that this is common practice, but he did make me feel like he wanted to help me, and is the only reason this rating is not a 1. The rest of the support staff seems very unknowledgable and their steps of troubleshooting are not very comprehensive. As far as repair goes, When I sent the first unit back, they failed to diagnose and fix the problem of chronic loss of midi control. For this reason, I question whether I did in fact receive a new unit when I sent it back the second time. They did not pay for shipping for either time I returned it, so now I've spent nearly as much on this unworking toy as I would have on a Novation ReMOTE 25. It has been a severe disappointment dealing with M-Audio. The Wow Factor: I want it... to turn magically into Novation. Overall: I recommend not buying this for half of what they're asking. Save your money and get something that works. They should stick to slightly-above consumer level interfaces.

"do not buy, no support for windows 7" submitted December 9, 2009

Sound: do not buy, no support for windows 7 Feature: do not buy, no support for windows 7 Ease of Use: do not buy, no support for windows 7 Quality: do not buy, no support for windows 7 Value: do not buy, no support for windows 7 Manufacturer Support: do not buy, no support for windows 7 The Wow Factor: do not buy, no support for windows 7 Overall: do not buy, no support for windows 7

When you call, mention priority code 15ZN-JRN4. Llame Gratis en Español: 800-460-7976