When you call, mention priority code 16KB-JSNX
  • Mon, Tue, Wed 8AM - 10PM (EST)
  • Thur Closed
  • Fri 8AM - 10PM (EST)

Rating and Reviews: M-Audio BX5a Deluxe

The BX5a studio monitors from M-Audio feature waveguide-loaded high-frequency drivers with natural silk domes to deliver pristine top end that's gentle on the ears.

M-Audio BX5a Deluxe Customer Review submitted October 27, 2011

By a customer from kpmusicrecords.com
Musical Background: Recording Engineer/Musician
Music Style: Gospel Rap
Sound: The sound of this product is phenomenal for home studio's. The quality of both high and low frequencies is terrific. I can clearly hear all instruments and effects in my mixes, whether I'm panning or correcting automation. It has helped me achieve the mixes I was looking for by purchasing this product. I'm in love with the Bx5's. And I'm usually have strong reservations about buying such products, but the price is reasonable and they are really good monitors. I had computer speakers before purchasing these. Feature: There isn't any accessories with this product. You get what you pay for and thats the two monitors, and I was fine with that. You will need speaker cables, RCA's, of which I received a discount by a local music store I'm close with. Ease of Use: Very easy to hook up to a computer or interface and is interchangeable. I've used my monitors on an M-Audio and Lexicon interface. Quality: I only give it a 9 because I've seen and heard better monitors. However these monitors are built to last. Their durable and have the thump and clear sound your looking for. Value: The price is good via Zzounds, but I did find Bx8's for sale $100 cheaper after I had bought my Bx5's. However its a great value for what your purchasing and they even allow a payment plan. Manufacturer Support: I have dealt with M-Audio before with another product but not this one specifically so I cant say I have dealt with them about my monitors. Never had a problem and I don't expect to. The Wow Factor: My lady loved the speakers as much as I did, if that answers the question.lol Overall: What I like most about this product is its clarity and responsiveness to sound pumped through them. As well as how clear it is despite is volume. It also reveals mistakes in production as if you were using Pro Tools HD. Really grateful for the secrets these monitors reveal, great buy.

"I'll stand by them." submitted April 26, 2010

Musical Background: Hobbyist, Producer, Remixer
Music Style: Hip Hop, R&B, Dance, Electronica, Acoustic
Sound: Everything so far translates well in final mix. Very crisp highs and mids. If your into the Boom-Bap styles of music I would recommend supplementing this with a sub, as the bass is not one of its strong suits...though adequate for non bass reliant genres. I found they do a great job as far as placing vocals in my mixes. The key I found is breaking them in and proper positioning with good room acoustic. If done what you mix is what you hear...minimal colorization. Feature: Solid cabinet build...seems very durable...blue LED is not as annoying as some have stated unless your an insect that is easily distracted by lights. Would have preferred some kind of grill protection for soft dome tweeter...I have kids. Ease of Use: Great results on final mixes...on/off switch could be a little more accessibly located. Minimal pop when turned on. Quality: Solidly made product...nice weight to them also. Value: I've heard other higher priced monitors and these are not that far off...I've paired them up with a sub and money-wise made out well vs. buying high end 8 inch monitors. I'm thrilled with my final results that compared to those I know mixing on top flight monitors. Still comes down to ears. Manufacturer Support: None needed so far. The Wow Factor: I like black, so I'm biased. Overall: Unless I strike it rich, I'm off the monitor market as long as the stay functioning. Very pleased.

"Read This First" submitted December 23, 2009

Musical Background: Producer/Recording Engineer
Music Style: Everything but country
Sound: Don't spend sleepless nights tryin to figure out which monitors are best for you. I've had a pair of the BX5's for a few months now and to be honest I don't regret buying them at all, some of the high end high priced monitors are all talk (because you end up paying for someone at a factory to slap a decal on a speaker box and call it quality.....really)! If you are serious about your money and serious about great sound reproduction and can't seem to make a decision on what monitors to buy....go pick up these. Quality: I gotta be honest....after about 22 hours of sound and the drivers break in, you are gonna hear the difference. A bigger, fuller, richer sound.
13 of 16 people (81.25%) found this review helpful. Did you?

"Compared to Fostex PM0.5 MKII" submitted December 3, 2009

Musical Background: Songwriter
Music Style: Vocal
Sound: I have both the Fostex PM0.5 MKII and the BX5a Deluxe for a while now. While the BX5a tends to get higher review rating and is more popular, I personally prefer the PM0.5 due to its having more bass & volume. Both models cost about the same, with the PM0.5 roughly $20 cheaper. The PM0.5 is bigger, heavier, has a heat sink in the back, with a combo XLR/TRS jack. While the BX5a has a bigger tweeter, separate XLR & TRS jacks. Construction-wise, both are well-made. If you plan to share the same monitor between 2 difference sources, then the separate input of the BX5a is more convenient (you can always get a Y-adapter to support 2 inputs on the PM0.5). The BX5a has more clarity & boosted details, but is more on a tinny side. The PM0.5 has more boom but less treble. I guess the difference is due to the size of the tweeter and the length of the bass port (the BX5a has larger tweeter & 1 rear bass port, while the PM0.5 has 2 front bass ports). Sounds coming out of the PM0.5 resemble more of the ambience of my car & home stereo than the BX5a. For my home-studio purpose, I like the warmer sound of the PM0.5 more. I do use them to watch movie once in a while, and the PM0.5 is more suitable as the main speakers, while the BX5a is better placed for surround speakers. For further references, I have placed audio samples of a song I wrote & arranged (so there won't be any copyright violation issue), re-recorded with an AKG C414B condenser mic, placed at same height as the tweeter, normalized to -15dB. Hope they'll help making your choice easier (instead of having to buy both like I did :) http://music.jeffreydoan.com/mp3/MissYouTonight.mp3 (direct mix) http://music.jeffreydoan.com/mp3/MissYouTonight-bx5a.mp3 (re-recorded with bx5a) http://music.jeffreydoan.com/mp3/MissYouTonight-pm05.mp3 (re-recorded with pm0.5)
11 of 14 people (78.57%) found this review helpful. Did you?

When you call, mention priority code 16KB-JSNX. Llame Gratis en Español: 800-460-7976