When you call, mention priority code 164L-3GLM

Rating and Reviews: Mackie 402 VLZ3

Proprietary advanced EQing and two mic preamps produce a clean and clear sound free from ambient noise and interference.

"BUY THIS MACKIE, you'll thank me later." submitted March 19, 2008

Music Style: Acoustic, rock, whatever
Sound: I am using this with an AudioTechnica AT20-20. I've used it for recording my acoustic guitar with tremendous results. The preamp is very clean. I think the two together sound great. For the flexibility and sound, you can't spend a better $200 (for mixer and mic). I get great compliments on the sound, which I recorded absolutely raw (no eq, gain, or compression adjustments). See for yourself. If you need more inputs, go for the 802. Thank you Mackie for providing an inexpensive solution for small setups. I've also run my electric guitar and keyboard through with equally impressive results. I give it a 9, since the knobs weren't quite as solid as other Mackies I've used (at 4 times the cost). Feature: Only two band EQ on board and no faders. I considered other boards similarly priced with more inputs and effects/eq, but when it comes down to it, Mackie is the best. Ease of Use: Haven't tweaked a thing and the sound is great. Quality: You could break into a car with this. Value: Worth every penny. You can get a little more functionality with other units for the price, but you're not going to get the same quality (especially the preamps). Manufacturer Support: It comes with Traktion recording software. I had problems registering for the code at first, and technical support returned my email within a day. The Wow Factor: It's a MACKIE! 'Nuff said. I waited a month after ordering this for it (hadnt' been shipped by Mackie yet). I thought about going for something else, because I really wanted to get started recording my acoustic...WAY WORTH THE WAIT!
50 of 51 people (98.04%) found this review helpful. Did you?

"The MIGHTY Few" submitted July 13, 2012

By Couri J in Macon, GA
Musical Background: Engineer/Producer
Music Style: All
Sound: This mixer is VERY quiet...it introduces NO noise with your recordings. The noise floor is a none factor, so if you use a quiet MIC you have no issues with noise and that's the most important thing...getting a good quality recording!! I've used this mixer for several months now and have not had a single problem with it's build quality nor performance. It's been the focal point for my home and mobile studio setup. The XDR2 preamps rival that of more expensive external preamps...HONESTLY!! What ever you record through this mixer will be delivered with no fuss!! These preamps are worth the price of this amp alone and then some! Believe me when I tell you these preamps are beyond clean...I've heard some of the best preamps (tube included) and these Mackie preamps compare to those of vintage setups 5x the cost. Warm, natural and clean.....everything you want for your music/vocal recordings. Feature: For starters it's great not to need an external DI box for your instruments. Simply plug in your guitar, hit the Hi-Z switch (actually labled as a little guitar) and your off to the races. It has a 2 band EQ setting for each channel and honestly they sound GREAT!! Besides if you need additional EQ settings most modern day adjustments are done within your DAW. I rarely use the EQ options anyway...I like to record my sources RAW (0db) and adjust during the editing stage, but if you need to make adjustments on the fly the EQ works flawlessly. Both Channels have CRAZY gain available, MUCH more than anyone would ever need, but good to know it's there. It has out puts to send to your monitors (see my review on the Behringer B2031A's....AWESOME MONITORS) and they are 1/4" balanced or unbalanced connections (use TRS). All-in-all this mix may LOOK small, but if you only need to record 1 to 2 sources at a time (which most small home setups do) this mixer is for you. Everything else will easily hook up to this mixer and you will have your studio rockin for years. ***TALK BACK TIP*** After reading and researching for months about "talkback" for my studio, I almost didn't get this mixer becaus it doesn't advertise talkback in it's features. Guess what??? For those of you that only need one source to record at a time, use the second channel to talk to the artist(s) in the booth! That's right!! ....you can use a second mic in the control room to talk with the band or artist in the other room. What I did was is this: Channel 1 is my RODE NT1A (review coming soon) mic which is located in a small second bedroom converted into a vocal booth (insulated/padded/treated...etc). Channel 2 is a "cheap-o" radio shack mic that I keep in the control room with me (you know the cheap-o mic I'm talking about....the kind with the 20ft cord on it.....you have to cut it on and off with that little black twitch you can barely feel with your thumb......has the 1/8" tip that needs the 1/4" adaptor to connect to your 402-VLZ3....hey that one ; ) - The mixer comes with PHANTOM power to power my RODE NT1a, so I simply cut on the phantom power, cut up the gain on the channels (don't worry, phantom power doesn't hurt MOST dynamic mics...do your research) and we have talk back. Just be sure to either cut down the gain on channel 2 when you are recording or just cut of the mic completely so that you don't bleed over to the recording. Hope that tip helps you guys and gals. Ease of Use: Just like any other mixer....simply read your manual and plug-n-play. This mixer has a VERY flexible routing manual and can be used for many differnt setups. Hook up takes all off 5-10 mins.....TOPS! Quality: It's a MACKIE....if you "Google" Mackie or look at their "YouTube" video's you'll see.........this mixer is trully "Built Like A Tank". My brother dropped this mixer from about 5FT onto a TILE floor!! After I freaked out and ran over to veiw the carnage...the mixer didn't have one scratch or flaw on it and works like new. Value: This mixer is a blessing for many producers and artists alike. Affordable, great quality and it sounds outstanding. Worth well more than it's cost. You can't loose with this one. Thank you Zzounds and Mackie for answering a working producers/musicians dreams!! Manufacturer Support: Have not needed to contact Mackie yet, but don't forsee having too anytime soon. The Wow Factor: I would buy this product several times again if I had too! Tell your friends!! Overall: After years of research and listening test, Mackie mixers top the pile. Quality, features and sound....the preamps alone are worth the price of this mixer. Don't think twice about this one my friends. If you need just a few inputs for a small home studio setup or mobile rig, this is the solution.

"MACKIE MIXER-LOVE IT OR LEAVE IT." submitted August 10, 2011

Overall
Musical Background: Singing and Karaoke is my forte.
Music Style: Oldies, Classic Country, Classic Rock
Sound: I bought the small, but feature-satisfactory Mackie mixer, because I needed a mixer to connect to my amp. But, I also needed a headphone port, which I didn't have on the amp or karaoke player. The Mackie fit the bill, not only for the headphone port, but also for size, features, price and quality. Feature: See above. Ease of Use: See above. Quality: See above. Value: See above. Manufacturer Support: Have not dealt with the company yet. The Wow Factor: The only issue I have with the mixer is that it has no volume sliders. I prefer them over knobs...gives a finer way to set the sound volume. Overall: Hopefully, it will last as long as I need it to.

"Mackie Compact Mixer" submitted October 24, 2012

By Chris F in Dallas, TX
Musical Background: None/Trial presentation work
Music Style: N/A
Overall: I purchased the Mackie 402 VLZ3 Compact Mixer to use in tandem with (2) Mackie SRM150 PA speakers in courtroom settings. The mixer was a perfect addition to the speakers, as it added even more control and versatility to the already loaded features of the SRM150 speakers. I highly recommend the mixer (and the speakers) for those that are looking for a compact, powerful and affordable option for remote sound mixing in a live setting.

"The Mixer is rock solid, but the Power Supply is fragile and on backorder for over a month." submitted November 19, 2012

By Tim Simmons in Woodland, CA
Musical Background: Mobile DJ
Music Style: we play it all
Overall: Works very well for small setups, may go with the 802 in addition. Be very careful with the power supply it breaks easy! But over all I'd purchase another one!

When you call, mention priority code 164L-3GLM. Llame Gratis en Español: 800-460-7976