When you call, mention priority code 158Z-TRTM

Rating and Reviews: Line 6 JTV69 Variax

This axe recreates the tones of 25 classic guitars, thanks to Line 6's cutting-edge DSP modeling technology and lets you switch between tunings instantly!

"So many sounds, so little time" submitted December 8, 2011

Musical Background: playing professionally for 25 years
Music Style: blues, country, classic rock, acoustic folk
Sound: sounds are very good, i love the fact that i can play a stray cats tune with a gretsch sound then a dire straits song followed by an acoustic song all without changing guitars.... that in itself is worth the money. Feature: i owned one of the first generation variax guitars ... the 300 i believe.... and i thought it sounded and played OK but this new Tyler model is far superior to that and the price is about the same Ease of Use: remembering the position of all the different models is a challenge but once you have learned what are your favs it is pretty self explanatory Quality: this guitar is not a PRS or gibson but it is a very playable instrument very much on par with many mid priced guitars..... lets face it, you are paying for the electronics. Value: the vast catalog of sounds and alt tunings make this worth the price the only reason i didn't give it a 10 was the non inclusion of an A/B pedal (you really do need one to send acoustic sounds to the PA (or acoustic amp) and electric sounds to your amp (the original 300's did come with this pedal) Manufacturer Support: when i was talking to them years ago (when i had my first variax) they were superb..... (i think i was the first person in the UK to have one.... i ordered it and had to wait for the first shipment to clear customs to get it) i didn't have problems but just used to call and chat about the guitar with the support staff....they were all very interested in talking about it back then The Wow Factor: i love not having to change guitars or making do with a one sound does all set Overall: if it was lost or stolen I will replace it
13 of 14 people (92.86%) found this review helpful. Did you?

"Well made and highly versatile product." submitted December 1, 2011

Overall
Musical Background: Played guitar since teen years, also harmonica & keyboards. Jam at home, play for groups of people, some professionally.
Music Style: Blues, rock, (both flatpick and fingerstyle)
Sound: Sound is excellent, and with the Variax controls for different modelings and instant alternate tunings, instrument is remarkably unique and versatile. Feature: The materials are high-grade. I noticed one reviewer "diss'd" this instrument and I was surprised. I also own a Taylor Acoustic and Fender Strat, and I think very highly of the Variax in playability and sound output using them as a barometer. Also is a good looking guitar. Ease of Use: Easy to use both live performance and for recording, no compatibility issues with any other product. I don't see any learning curve other than learning how to use its unique dials for selecting various classic guitar models to emulate (which all sound pretty good), and for alternate tuning. Physically, instrument is very playable, neck is fast and smooth. Quality: I feel it is very well made, materials are high-quality, workmanship is quite good. I have had it for about a year now, no issues with reliability. Other people have remarked about liking the various emulations it does and tones it produces. Cosmetically, is good looking and appears durable. I also believe luthier James Tyler, who partnered with Line 6 in this product, would not have his name associated with an instrument of questionable value. Value: I believe the product to be worth the selling price, and I rate this product highly when comparing to other items. Manufacturer Support: I asked them a couple of questions about materials used, and they were very friendly and responsive. The Wow Factor: I find the technical/sound versatily of the product very appealing, and there is no doubt that you can make good music with it. Overall: I would likely buy another one of these if it were stolen. I enjoy being able to get many different good sounds and tones out of it.
15 of 17 people (88.24%) found this review helpful. Did you?

"What a great instrument" submitted June 11, 2014

By Roxanne A in Mesa, AZ
Overall
Musical Background: I have been playing for many years.
Music Style: I mostly play rock, acoustic, hard rock, and blues
Overall: This guitar not only feels great to play. It's versatility is incredible. I t really help to get the creative juices flowing.

"Variax JTV-69" submitted October 29, 2012

By Bob A in Streator, IL
Overall
Musical Background: Played for close to 30 years, gigging days are over, only in my home studio now.
Music Style: Rock, Blues, country.
Overall: Excellent guitar, the acoustic models are great. The magnetic pickups are really good. It seems the palm muting on the models are much better. I love the tuning options versus the original variax. I would like a more satin fell on the back of the neck, but that's minor. If you liked the original Variax 500/700 you'll LOVE the Tyler version.

"incredible guitar " submitted October 23, 2013

By Larry Y in Manteno, IL
Musical Background: 40+ years lot of bands just for fun now with my kids
Music Style: Everything
Overall: OS real, such an arsenal of guitar I feel like Rick Nielsen, and the ability to customize 10 of your own guitars on to of the 29 it's incredible.

"serious quality control issues with Variax JTV guitars" submitted February 11, 2014

By sean s in atlanta, GA
Overall
Overall: The first JTV69 that was shipped to me had a completely bent tone knob - it turned all the way around, but was bent at a 45 degree angle. The replacement looked perfect at first, but the cap of the modelling knob (the selector for the guitar model) fell right off when i picked it up. I was able to superglue it and it's stayed fastened, but there seems to be some serious quality control issues right now with the JTV Variax guitars. The good part is that the guitar sounds amazing, and the new modelling features in the JTV line are really impressive, especially the alternate tuning knob.

"Amazingly versatile guitar" submitted September 24, 2012

By Grant P in Madison, WI
Overall
Musical Background: I've been playing lead guitar in a working (part-time) classic rock cover band for 12 years.
Music Style: Mostly classic rock from Beatles onward.
Sound: I'm not what you would call a snob about guitar tone, but I do like being able to get a Strat sound, a Les Paul sound, a Rick sound, and an acoustic sound all out of the same guitar. I like the ability to get a 12-string acoustic or Rickenbacker sound for certain songs that demand it, though there's no question that it sounds fake compared to a real 12-string. Nevertheless, a fake 12-string sound is more effective for some songs (e.g., "Wish You Were Here") than no 12-string sound at all, and I'm not going to shell out for a real 12-string for the very few songs we play that demand it. The 6-string models all sound very credible to my ear, and combining the Variax with my Line 6 HD500's amp models, there's very few classic rock sounds that I can't get at the twist of a knob and press of a pedal. The magnetic pickups (two SCs and one HB) are very useable as well, and when I A/B them with the Strat neck/middle and Les Paul bridge models, I don't notice any obvious inferiority in the modeled sounds. On the contrary, a huge benefit of the modeled tones over the single-coil magnetic pickups is that the former don't pick up hum! Feature: Being a modeling guitar, the Variax blows every analog guitar out of the water when it comes to features. Obviously, the ability to switch guitar sounds is the most useful feature; the second (as mentioned above) is the longer-lasting rechargeable battery. Least useful for me personally (but likely more useful to others) is the ability to switch guitar tunings instantly via a roller switch near the top of the guitar body. I can't speak expertly with regard to the choice and quality of the components, but I own an American Standard Strat, and the parts on this guitar strike me as very Strat-like. Ease of Use: If you use it in analog mode, it is essentially a Strat with a humbucker in the bridge -- no learning curve. When using the models, the main learning curve is getting used to switching quickly to the model you want; also getting familiar with the distinctive tonal differences (for those of us, for example, who have never played a real SG or Rick). The guitar feels much like my Strat. Quality: I have not noticed any apparent issues with quality and have no basis for judging the longevity of the components. Overall, it looks and feels solid, and I'll be surprised and disappointed if anything breaks on me over the next few years. Value: I paid an amount fairly comparable in both price and apparent build quality to an American Standard Strat, but with all of the modeling technology thrown on top. Even at the original price, this strikes me as a very good value. Manufacturer Support: The model as shipped came with a defective rechargeable battery. I contacted them and they shipped a replacement. I have previous Line 6 products (POD XT Live, HD500, Variax 600), and the Line 6 web site provides a fair amount of support, including the ability to register your products online. There is also a user forum. The Wow Factor: Visually, mine looks very much like a sunburst Strat -- which is to say, very nice looking indeed. But the real wow factor comes from the ability to get very credible acoustic sounds, LP sounds, Rick sounds, Tele sounds, etc., out of that "Strat". Oh, and even banjo and sitar sounds! The ability to switch from early Beatles to Aerosmith in 10 seconds or less without physically changing guitars (and adapting to the different fretboard) is something I would never want to be without again. Overall: I bought the JTV69 as an upgrade to my previous Variax 600. There are several significant improvements in the JTV69 relative to the earlier model, and they made the upgrade worthwhile for me, especially since I use the guitar as my sole guitar in a live setting. For me, the biggest improvement is the rechargeable Li ion battery in place of the 6 AA batteries needed before. In the earlier model, the batteries died quickly, meaning that I gave up on batteries and had to use the special cable and power supply instead, which in turn ruled out going wireless, which is my normal preference. With the new rechargeable battery, the life is several hours, and -- importantly -- there's an LED indication of how much life remains. I'm back to playing wireless and greatly appreciate the freedom. Another improvement is that the modeled tones for the acoustic guitar seem to be improved, esp. the 12-string models. Finally, the JTV69 adds real magnetic pickups that you can fall back on if your battery goes dead and/or you just want to go analog again for whatever reason.

"fun but..." submitted July 11, 2012

By a customer from csloh.com
Overall
Overall: Had the new Tyler Variax for 3 days, it was dfun to play with all the various presets... but everything people complained about the Variax proved true (very sad). The slipping high-E string, the need for a fully charged proprietary battery (if it goes flat you will not have the modeled sound anymore as the modeling required battery). I really wanted to love the Variax... but for that price, as someone else said, it should come perfect. In the end I decided to returned it for something else...

"built like a tank" submitted January 27, 2013

By Joe C in Paulden, AZ
Overall
Musical Background: playing for 40+ years. Guitar, Keys, bass, drums, mandolin, fiddle.
Music Style: Currently working with a country for the last 23 years
Overall: I've been using this for four months now. The modeled sounds are great, though I did have some programming issues. Not real issues, just learning curves. I use a Telecaster with aftermarket pickups for my main instrument, but was able to adjust the modeled pickups to closely match the sound. The guitar has taken over as my main instrument. It plays well and holds up to a beating. I also play keys, and while having the guitar hanging upside down on my back, my straplock button pulled out and the guitar went down headstock first onto the floor. I figured it was over, but it was still in tune with only a very minor ding. Then month later on a congested stage while it was on a stand, I tripped on the strap and pulled it face first onto the floor. Okay, out of tune this time but no damage. I am using several of the modeled sounds as well as the magnetic pickups. I already know that if I lost this guitar for any reason (including damage that I inflict) I will have another. This is an amazing instrument. Check it out. It is definitely worth the price.

"JVT" submitted September 22, 2013

By john m
Overall
Musical Background: playing for 40 yrs Guitar/Bass/Keys/Drums. Gigged for 20 yrs now working on 5th album in home studio
Music Style: rock/blues some own stuff that is difficult to catagorise
Overall: I am using it with an HD 500 or an axe fx 11 or straight into a mic pre for recording. I am probably over inspired by it at the moment and need some rainy days to get to grips with DADGAD and drop Bb to name but two. The electronics is impressively quiet. Give me a year or so and I'll probably know what I am talking about. - I haven't even looked at workbench!

"The Devil" submitted March 9, 2012

By Chris Zamora in Houston, TX
Overall
Musical Background: I have been playing/performing for over 20 years.
Music Style: All..
Overall: The amazing: My JTV69 has been called the devil on more than one occasion. This guitar is HOT, it is the do-everything guitar that makes guitarists everywhere wonder if they ever really need to buy another guitar again.. I got the Black on black 69 that looks amazing, agressive and dressy, the finish had to have multiple thick layers of car quality clear coat to look that good -It is beautiful. The tones you can get out of this guitar are ridiculous. Sitar, amazing acoustics and all the classic guitars -man.. Its insane. All in all as a "utility guitar player" this thing is as good as it gets for tone and versatility. The not so amazing: Of course this is a brand new guitar in the joint venture of Line 6 and James Tyler guitars. While what this guitar does is amazing, the Korean model definitely had its issues. My first jtv69 came in beautiful however the tremolo was sticking and the neck was not right -it seemed to be slightly out of true. That along with a sticking on/off knob on the guitar made this a huge disappointment. It would not stay in tune for anything. I contacted Line6 and they asked for me to please send it in for repair. I decided to contact Zzounds.com instead and they instantly asked for the guitar back and send another one the same day. The 2nd guitar I got played much better but still was sticking really badly. This time I was not going to part with my guitar, the switch was working and the neck was great. I have been working on guitars for over 20 years and feel very comfortable working on them so I disassembled the JTV69 and realized that there was a place where the Tremolo that is recessed into the guitar was rubbing the inside of the guitar body. I carefully sanded the problem area and also had to grind down the metal part that was rubbing. Once this was fixed the tremolo was "good" still not perfect. As with just about all tremolo's perfect tune is nearly impossible to achieve. I purchased tremol-No and fixed the tuning issues. The last problem is that the (high e) on this guitar will fall off the fret board if bent down (towards the ground) even during slight vibrato string-bending. I didn't think it was much of a problem until I realized that i rarely play that string anymore for my leads -and when I do I only bend up towards low e. I have to mention that I did purchase the Line 6 Dream setup, this trifecta is pretty much a guitar players dream. Combine a JTV guitar, a POD HD 500 and a DT25 or DT50 and you have reached a tone nirvana that cannot be explained..

"JTV 69" submitted May 12, 2013

By Tony B in Manama, NA
Musical Background: Professionally & Home
Music Style: All styles of popular music
Overall: I have now owned my Variax since September 2012. I have used it at our weekly gig venue ever since. I really like this guitar ant it pretty well handles all I throw at it from a functionally point of view. However, pretty well means not quite in my book. So whats lacking then, simple answer - accoustic modeling. This is very dissapointing for me. No matter what amp setup I use it just sounds bad and I mean all the settings. I was hoping this was not going to be the case but I'm afraid to say it is. Other niggles that may turn out to be major issues are - a) Battery life, I;m down to 4-5 hours, nowhere the claimed 11 hours. (BTW I always pull the guitar lead out when I'm not using it). b) Modeling on/off switch, I'm finding that I have to hold it in for ever increasing lenght of time before it comes on, Im afraid one day it won't come on at all. There are other small niggles like the preverbial fret buzz on open D chord but that's about it. All in all, what this guitar does is simply amazing, I have come to learn nothings perfect in this world so I can live with the small gripes at the expense of owning a trully awsome guitar.

"Line 6 JTV-69 Guitar" submitted December 18, 2012

By Johnny Moore in Fishers, IN
Music Style: Classic Rock
Overall: This is a fantastic guitar. It delivers everything you would expect it to. My issue is with the lack of a good user manual. The guitar comes with a very basic 2-3 page overview but it doesn't come close to explaining details about the guitar's abilities and potential. Line 6 has the Workbench software but again there is no user manual that explains or teaches customers how to use it. You will need to search through websites to find instructions. This is very tedious and time consuming. Regarding the sound of the guitar I found it to be very good. There are some "quirks" that I hear occasionally but I'm digging through websites to see what the fix is.

"cheap korean made guitar" submitted October 5, 2011

Musical Background: 30 years a player
Music Style: all
Sound: fake sounding Feature: controls small Ease of Use: hard to see the writing on the dials Quality: could'nt even play a 'd' chord .the high 'e'string slipped off the fretboard Value: this item is worth to me around 150.00 ...dont waste your time or money Manufacturer Support: told me to return guitar Overall: stinks
14 of 42 people (33.33%) found this review helpful. Did you?

When you call, mention priority code 158Z-TRTM. Llame Gratis en Español: 800-460-7976