When you call, mention priority code 1455-J16Z

Rating and Reviews: Korg X50 61-Key Synth

Small in size but big on sound, the Korg X50 features the same synthesis system as the legendary Triton but in a compact, portable keyboard.

Overall

"Just waht I've been looking for in a lightweight Keyboard-Synth" submitted October 30, 2011

Music Style: Ambient Jazz
Sound: The X50 has an array of unique sounds and combinations. It matches well to my playing style and my other synths for production work as well as live performing. The loop functions in combination mode allows me to play along with certain rhythmic patterns on my wind controller instruments. I use my X50 in along with a Roland RD300, MicroKorg, Yamaha WX5 wind controller, and an Akai EWI 4000s. Feature: No accessories were included beyond the AC adaptor. The most useful feature in the arppegiator in my opinion. Ease of Use: There is a learning curve which requires putting in some time. But the basic startup is pretty simple for straight out of the box performance. As with most instruments of this nature it takes some time to learn and understand all of its capabilities. Quality: It's weight, 9lbs, causes some concern . But its light enough to carry with one hand and that's one of the reasons I purchased it. It probably won't stand up to being bounced around even in a carrying case, so road-worthiness is questionable. Feel almost like a toy because of its plastic construction but sounds totally professional. Also requires velcro fasteners to make sure it doesn't come of the piano stand when your playing it with some intensity. Manufacturer Support: I haven't needed to contact them for anything. The Wow Factor: It's a very practical addition to my current setup. But I lust for most of the equipment I have. It's my weakness. Overall: I'll be satisfied with the X50 for a long time. i do not expect to replace it anytime soon. I compared this instrument to other similarly priced keyboard-synths such as Roland, Yamaha, and Akai, and found that it had far more features that I was looking for. If it were lost or stolen I wouldn't hesitate to replace it. What I like most about it is the weight. What I like least about it is the weight.

"Nice little keyboard" submitted August 30, 2007

By a customer from theplanet-x.com
Music Style: Progressive Rock
Sound: Overall a great selection of sounds. The organs and acoutic guitars are particularly good. The piano and string pads are just OK in my opinion. The synth leads are quite good also. Feature: One of the reasons I originally bought this unit was for the arpeggiator. It has a lot of functionallity (can be programmmed in a number of ways) and is quite fun to play with with. I also really like the editor. I use it with a Mac OS 10.4. It is easy to use and does exactly what it is supposed to do which is more than I can say for lots of the usb synth editors I have worked with in the past. Ease of Use: It pretty easy to get the patch you are looking for. Sometimes II wish there were fewer steps or button pushes to find a category then patch but overalll pretty good. Quality: This keyboard is super light weight- gives the feeling of being cheap, but I really like that for carrying to gig's. I really wish the plastic buttons had a rubber surface-- that makes them feel cheap. Although the keyboard action is not the best I have played, it is not that bad and quite playable now that I am used to it. Value: I did a lot of shopping around before I bought this and I felt at the time it was a great value given its many sounds plus the arpeggiator. (I paid just under $600 new on Ebay) Manufacturer Support: Never needed it The Wow Factor: Looks pretty nice on my rack. Overall: Good arpeggiator, light weight, good selection of sounds --some of them really killer, plus great Mac editor - I LIKE IT!
47 of 51 people (92.16%) found this review helpful. Did you?

"GREAT VALUE PACKED INTO A SMALL UNIT" submitted August 29, 2007

Music Style: Pop / Contemporary Christian
Sound: Sounds great. It has a variety of different sounds to choose from, and like others have said, many of them are direct ports from the Triton. Ease of Use: It's pretty to pick up and use. The knobs offer some game-time modification options without having to go into the menus. Quality: Look... I was reading one of the guy's reviews below that crapped all over this synth from a quality standpoint... Let's get it in perspective... if you are going to man-handle your instruments, this probably isn't the one for you... However, if you are looking for a great PORTABLE unit to take with you to gig with, this is a great piece. If you are looking for a big cinder block unit you can toss into the trailer, or something that feels like a $2000 stage piano, this isn't it. Value: You can't find a better value out there I don't think. This is a baby Triton that you can pack-up and be out-the-door with in 3 minutes or less (which is more thank I can say for my cumbersome Korg SP-300 Keyboard). If you're looking for a great synthesizer or a midi sound module for a great value, check this one out Manufacturer Support: No experience with Korg's support yet. Overall: I don't plan to have to replace this unit until it completely falls apart. The only thing I can see this unit doesn't have is the ability to record/layer built-into the unit...But you know that going into it. To counteract this, it has USB Midi functionality that lets you go into a laptop with it (which most guys are doing these days anyway). GREAT VALUE. Good luck finding a nice snug-fitting case for it though.
12 of 13 people (92.31%) found this review helpful. Did you?

"A really great little synth!" submitted February 11, 2008

By a customer from netscape.com
Overall
Musical Background: praise and worship leader, song writer
Music Style: worship
Sound: It's a really good sounding keyboard on most things. The piano is pretty good. That's the only reason I didn't give it a "10" here because I think they could have done a little better on the piano. This is the main voice that I use. I really love the pads, and the strings are nice too. Looking forward to doing more with them. Feature: I love the real time knobs. That's a nice touch. that way you can play and adjust. The handles are not bad either. It's great to have a unit that I can actually lift up with one hand. I really wish that the drum loops were easier to access. I'm a terrible drummer!:) I need all of those I can get. But, that's more of my problem . Ease of Use: It's really easy to modify the sounds roughly on the x50. The real time knobs are an asset. It helps not have to get deep into the keyboard all of the time. Then for more fine things, you can interface with the computer. A nice touch. I have to admit, though, that I haven't had much time to do a lot with that, but I plan to. The only issue that I have is that the drum loops are a little more difficult to access in retrospect to putting your desired sound with your desired beat. That may be just a learning issue for me, though. Quality: The keyboard could probably be made a little better, although, I don't have issue with it. I'm not going to be throwing it around. It is light weight, and easy to manage. The keys are fine to my specs also, although I am more partial to a weighted key. I've had my keyboard for around 6 months and so far it's held up well. Like with other review, I would like to say that it is hard to find a case that fits snugly. I believe that the gig skins slim line keyboard case would fit nicely, although I didn't buy that one, and wished I would have. Value: I really like korg products. The x 50 is no exception. The sounds are great, and there's a lot packed into this little synth. I'm looking forward to working with it. Manufacturer Support: I have dealt with them concerning my trinity, but not the x 50. With the trinity, they were not very knowledgeable, but the trinity is a lot older. So maybe they're better with the more recent ones. The Wow Factor: The look of it is really nice. Just to see it in action is great. Really sleek. The sounds are nice too. In my perspective it beats the others in this price range. Overall: I plan on keeping my keyboard, at least until it gets so outdated it can no longer be easily compatible to which ever computer that I own. It's a great little keyboard with very little storage space needed.
41 of 45 people (91.11%) found this review helpful. Did you?

"Pocket-sized Monstey Synth!" submitted February 9, 2007

Overall
Musical Background: Active solo-musician.
Music Style: Melodic and Symphonic metal.
Sound: This unit did what any Korg does to any keyboard user -- whether amateur or pro, or somewhere in bteween -- it AMAZED me! The sounds are 1005 customizable, the knobs make for some interesting change during play. The COMBIS are excellent as usual, and I was very impressed with the orchestras. Leads are amazing as well, and the pianos are good sounding (I have heard better). Feature: USB-Midi is VERY convenient! I don't have a MIDI port on my computer, or a MIDI interface.. so the USB port came in handy. Also, you can use *any* of the programs to be controlled by a midi controller, or you can use this keyboard itself as a midi controller. Ease of Use: Veyr straight-forward: easy to read menus, self-explanitory sub-pages, everything is neatly organized and categorized. Can be used right out of the box. Quality: I've had it for 3 months and I have yet to have any problems with it. I did drop it a couple of times, and it didn't even get scrached. It slept in the trunk of my car, uncovered, for 3 nights in a row (single digits weather here, guys) and it plays just as new. Value: Wow! $700 bucks!! Free Shipping, and free stand! (stand is a little shaky and i don't use it) Sure beats buying the Triton for a couple grand. The X50 has a LOT of the sounds the triton does (I brought the X50 into the store to compare, and was shocked at how similar the sound libraries were). Excellent Value! Manufacturer Support: I have yet to contact Korg about any issues, but they have been bvery good in the past. Plus the Korg website has some How-To's and they realy help. The Wow Factor: It looks sleek and futuristic, with those metal handle bars. yes, they are metal. I read a review claiming they were plastic.. this guy must have gotten a cheap imitation. The entire panel is of a semi-reflective material, and it just looks sweet. One issue I had was, the LCD screen is actually grey, and not blue. Unless I got jupped for a cheaper model hehehe Overall: Buy it. Whether you are a beginner/amateur player, or an experienced/pro player. Unless of course you already have a Triton or another recent Korg keyboard, as you won't be adding much to your sounds... Makes a GREAT Midi Module and addition to your colletion of synths. It is by far my favorite (comparing to Casio WK3200 and Alesis Fusion 8HD). Looks neat, lightweight, durable, and the only downside is finding a keyboard bag small enough to hold it without much movement.
16 of 19 people (84.21%) found this review helpful. Did you?

"Destined to be a classic!" submitted May 4, 2014

By Andy Rodriguez
Musical Background: Playing 25 years
Music Style: Rock, pop, latin, jazz, fusion
Overall: Anyone familiar with the Triton and TR series will appreciate the X50 with the same massive sounds. At roughly 9 pounds it is arguably the most practical keyboard ever. The X50 covers all the bases for live playing, studio work and even film scoring. It's that good!

"A great keyboard, lightweight and great sound" submitted October 16, 2012

By a customer from yahoo.com in Lewisville, TX
Music Style: indie rock songwriter
Overall: The keys are great and it is so light weight compared to other keyboards. It wasn't too hard to figure out have to work it. I'm still learning.

"Good sound, poor Quality" submitted November 4, 2008

Music Style: Ambient
Sound: I like the Piano Sounds and the Pads. The natural sounds are fine. Drums are a big beat! Lot of good sound for very low money! Feature: I like the knobs. They gave you a bit of interaction with the sounds. The ARP works fine. Lot of usefull sequenzes. LCD is poor! Even my Handy XDA got a better one. Like the USB Port for direct access with the Computer. Ease of Use: Play it use it get it! Easy Programming with the Editor. The keys are to lightwight for me as a pianoplayer. My Wavestation and my Quasimidi Raven got better ones. Beside the Raven got the best one ever found in a Synthesizer. Quality: Low cheap quality with lots of problems. USB sometimes cause problems. After disconneting the Editor I got no sound from the X-50. Sometimes the whole thing crashes. Last firmware update was made, but it didnīt solve it. Knobs and Keys are thin plastic. Never got those worse quality at Korg before. I got a Korg Collection Wavestation, M1R, Poly 800 but this one is very low. Next time I would give Roland a try. Value: Itīs was very cheat 400€ thatīs low. So I wonīt expect mutch quality Manufacturer Support: Never used it! But I will if the problems continue. The Wow Factor: Next time I give Roland a try! Wish I bought an other one! Overall: I think I will sell it very soon. Not satisfied. To many problems. I want to make music not solve USB and firmware problems.

"No compromise on sound vs. price. Build quality could be a concern though." submitted July 29, 2009

Overall
Music Style: Rock, alternative, orchestral, techno,....
Sound: For the product the sound is no compromise between price and quality. Strings: Individual solo patches are included which could use some work, but they are good to be the byproduct of a synthesizer. There are many ensemble patches that are simply amazing. Lush and expressive. On most patches, when you play and gradually go from the high to the low end, you can hear a shift from violins and higher strings to cello and double bass. It really simulated a real ensemble. There also pad like strings and other types. Keys: The included mf/f stereo piano patch is great for the money. You get a wide response from playing and everything seems to be just right. EPs didnt do so well, most of them are junk to me but the 4 or 5 that I like are GREAT and they can be modified so that should be no real issue. Vocal: Its a keyboard, and a synthesizer at that so dont expect much. The stand alone choirs are rich and expressive and there are many types. There are also some stand alone "solo" programs (like one called formant voices) that tries to emulate a real voice; and it sucks. but still good job. Brass: Great. Warm ensemble sounds, trombones, trumped duos, anything. even that sfz bad ass brass sound. It could easily do the 007 theme. Woodwinds: Wasnt too impressed. solo instruments werent up to par with the other categories, but this was mainly in the GM section. There is a vibratto flute sound that is ultra good, and the oboe sounds are also great. Good ensemble patches. Typically, when a synth lets you control vibratto, it sounds cheesy and fake, but for the winds the vibrrato is mopre on the natural side but not perfect yet. guitar: Great. The acoustic patches are amazing, even filling in with fret slides automatically (some patches react to pressure to acomplish the same thing and allow more control). And as for the electric guitars, processed or not, great. You can add overdrive and a high end gain and get amazing disatortion with the right sounds, without the machine gun effect. you wont be disapointed. Most sounds need custom effects to really appreciate though. Bass: as for the bass guitar replacement sounds, not the best at all, but there is a slap bass sound that is amazing. Techno bass and artificial lead type bass sounds are decent. Pads: This is where the X50 really does good. The pads are thick and ambient, and highly customizable. There are many varieties and when using surround sound output, its even more organic and evolving. Leads: Decent. Very few are usable dry; effects must be added or you need to learn how to control them in real time and make them expressive. With some work, you can really get some nice sounds though. You just have to experement. There are other sounds, but i dont want top use space so trust me on the basis they are really good. You can combine up to 8 sounds and adjust pan, effects for each channel, volume, and almost anything to create super complex sounds. There are many preset orchestral programs that use this concept to create expressive sounds. The only problem here is the 64 oscillator polyphony. After so many sounds, you notice other notes being occluded. You can tweak the sounds and fix this. The sounds are easily controlled through 2 assignable pedals, 4 assignable knobs, two button switches, mod wheel and pitch bend, and even they are assignable. Feature: No sequencer or anything, just the guts of the triton HI synthesis engine, but thats good enough. The feature set is everything you would want in a saynthesizer. you can twaek all the aspects of each sound; so I could safely say you could reproduce any sound with this gadget. The lightweight design is great, but it lacks sturdiness (more later) Ease of Use: Itrs kind of hard to use, but you learn it quickly. The interface is clean and easily accessed. Learning curb would probably be around a week or two, and you have it mastered. Quality: Im going to focus on build. To cut corners on price and to reduce weight, they had to make a cheap keyboard. It just doesnt seem sound at all. If youn pick it up in the middle you hear it creaking and popping, which indicates instability. It just feels weak but i think that if you take care of it, it should last. Ive had mine for 5 months and its been great and occasionally mishandled (once dropped, and its fine!) Value: For the money, super. If you are a musician on a budget (like, 95 percent of us??)then this is the board. Trust me, half of the sounds RIVAL that of the roland fantom series (ive compared them both side by side, and you really have a hard time deciding!) Manufacturer Support: Called them once to ask about the adapter. They were prompt and friendly but I waited for EVER -_- The Wow Factor: It looks ok, nothing wrong there. But the main focus of this board should be the sound; its untouchable Overall: Build quality suffers, but if you take care of it the real world use of it will be worth the money. Buy it.
30 of 32 people (93.75%) found this review helpful. Did you?

"Dissapointed" submitted December 9, 2006

By a customer from vfemail.net
Musical Background: Full time Musician
Music Style: Heavy Metal (classical based)
Sound: The sound quality is good, no complaints... Pianos are ok, pads are *excelent*. I would like to see more expandability or at least some way of inputting custom patches. Ease of Use: Pretty straight forward... Each feature pretty much has its own button or knob. Quality: If could rate it a zero... I would. I cannot stress enough how cheaply the X50 is made. The keys... The keys feel like dried, dead flesh, its like they tried to find the cheapest plastic available and made it even cheaper. They wobble left and right, they EASILY break off, and the sharps' edges are sharp (in they way they were molded [no pun intended]). There is also no more than a quater of an inch between the key itself and the plastic beneath it, so when you go for a dramatic chord its like your fingers are hitting popsicle sticks. I was expecting the X50 to be made of metal like their compettitor's entry level keyboards (Juno-D, QS6.2... etc) but the entire keyboard can not be more than 1/16th of an inch thick of (cheap) plastic ...even the "handle bars" are plastic. My $150.00 General midi porta-piano is 100 times better constructed... (Im not even kidding) Value: $700.00+ ...I think I'll pass. The Wow Factor: Despite its cheap construction and a persistant feeling like I am going to break it. It is rather attractive... small (too small for my keyboard stand) ...but attractive. If it were was not so cheaply made I'd still own it. Overall: I just couldn't stand it... I took it back no more than 6 hours after I got it home. If your looking for a light go-anywhere keyboard, go for it... Just don't expect it to be in one piece once you get there.
15 of 43 people (34.88%) found this review helpful. Did you?

"amazinggg" submitted February 20, 2008

Musical Background: recording engineer
Music Style: alll
Sound: its great i love it best midi keyboard purchase so far Feature: i love it everything about it sounds great Ease of Use: if ur a music person its super easy Quality: i think its super compact and it sounds amazingg u can take it anywhere and its very lightweight perfect for shows Value: its great for the price i think Manufacturer Support: no not yet at least i got a warranty just in case The Wow Factor: if i was a korg i would smash Overall: forever

When you call, mention priority code 1455-J16Z. Llame Gratis en Español: 800-460-7976