When you call, mention priority code 1451-06F0

Rating and Reviews: MicroKorg Synth/Vocoder

Huge analog-style synth sounds pour forth from the tiny, 5-pound MicroKORG, with an on-board vocoder and 8-step arpeggiator to get you rocking retro-style.

"Great Keyboard, Great Size" submitted May 26, 2008

Musical Background: Musician
Music Style: Rock/Electropunk
Sound: This keyboard can make just about any synth sound you'd want it to make. Obviously it doesn't have anything like piano but that isn't what this keyboard is designed to do. It does, however have a pretty good electric piano imitation. Some of the bass sounds that come out of it are absolutely ENORMOUS and are ridiculous coming out of such a small package. All in all, it sounds GREAT. Feature: The vocoder with included mic is an awesome feature! The vocoder sounds so cool and is a great addition to the right tracks. Also, the keyboard has a lot of settings that can be changed, but it also has a light that lights up to let you know when you've set the setting you're changing back to its original value. Very helpful. Ease of Use: At first, all the knobs and the huge list of parameters can seem very overwhelming but it doesn't take long at all to figure how they work and how you can begin customizing your own sounds from the presets. The small keyboard doesn't impede the playability at all, in fact it makes it easier sometimes, and if you want more keys you can always use a MIDI controller which is very easy to attach. Quality: While it is made of mostly plastic, it seems to be very tough for being plastic. If you put it in a nice case or bag, it seems very secure and I would not worry at all about it breaking. It seems like it would last for a very long time. Value: For the price this is an amazing little synthesizer -- it looks and sounds a lot more expensive than it is. The Wow Factor: Every time someone sees my Korg, they ooh and ahh about how "cute" it is, and then when they hear it they're like "WOAH I WANT ONE." Also, the wood paneling and olive color give it a very cool retro feel. The size of the keyboard is awesome, too, it makes it extremely easy and convenient to transport. Overall: If I lost this keyboard or somebody stole it I would cry! I would DEFINITELY purchase a new one. This keyboard makes the most amazing synth sounds and is SO FREAKING PORTABLE. You couldn't find a better keyboard that is easier to carry around, it weighs practically nothing and takes up no room, but it sounds fantastic.
51 of 54 people (94.44%) found this review helpful. Did you?

MicroKorg Synth/Vocoder Customer Review submitted April 23, 2007

Overall
Sound: AS many have said before, this synth is powerful for its size and price. Sounds truly analog. Feature: Lots of patches/sounds in this tiny machine. All are very interesting and of course can be changed via the analog knobs. I must say that the auto-arpeggiator (makes beats) is a very useful and great tool. Even if you are somewhat lacking in the creativity department when it comes to dance beats you can still squeeze a very cool beat from the synth. Ease of Use: Took me only a few hours fiddling with it to get he basic controls understood. Very user-friendly and is a great synth for beginners (like me) Quality: Well made but I wish the knobs weren't plastic; I use them all the time and am worried if they will last Value: A Korg for under $600? This is very good value with lots of features and great sounds The Wow Factor: looks great with the analog/vintage styling; wood paneling is a nice touch
60 of 64 people (93.75%) found this review helpful. Did you?

"This synthesizer is a BEAST!" submitted July 3, 2012

By Corey Roark in Boise, ID
Overall
Musical Background: Been playing guitar for 5 years and keyboard for 1. I only play at home.
Music Style: Ska, Electronica, Classic Rock, Punk, Alternative/Progressive rock.
Sound: The sound on this little honey can BLOW YOUR MIND!!! Deep rich bass, or out of this world spacy leads, you will LOVE these sounds guaranteed ! Feature: The features are what you would expect on a full size synth. I like to hook my guitar to the line in, and use the vocoder as a spacey breath trigger. It even has some awesome built in effects like a flanger and delay. Ease of Use: I wont lie, there is a learning curve, especcialy with the matrix list on the far right, but once you understand it, it can only get easier to understand and work with. Quality: Left and right panels are made of real wood! That I love! But... The whole unit is made of plastic, and that kind of bugs me because its so fragile. Keep it in a case, and it should last you years to come. Value: What I love about the Value it that zZounds is that they gave me the LOWEST PRICE on this baby!! Guitar Center was selling theirs for 389.00, zZ gave it to me for 379.00!!! Manufacturer Support: I haven't had any problems with it yet but once I do I'll be sure to contact them and see how they are. The Wow Factor: This synth overall is just plain AMAZING!!! If someone broke into my house and stole it from me, I would grab a shot gun and go on a man hunt. This synthesizer is just so cool, its almost exactly like the Korg MS2000, except smaller and with a few missing features, but all in all this is THE Synth to get if you are just starting out or if you need something for on the go or if you just want something to make a lot of noise in the house. JUST GET IT!!!! (I chose this over the Microkorg XL because I felt that this has a better user interface and sound than the other. The XL is great, but this had the sounds that I was looking for.) Overall: This little wonder can do it all. EVERYONE SHOULD HAVE ONE!!!

"80's guy here... Just my 2 cents" submitted July 3, 2013

By Ray Wright in childersburg, AL
Musical Background: amateur musician for 32 years
Music Style: Classic, new wave, punk, blues, jazz, experimental
Overall: Let me preface by saying I am a bassist by nature, a huge 80's - Devo fan, and I also play guitar, trombone, I know my way around a keyboard and a little tiny bit of harmonica.... that should tell you that I am not an electronica gear-head. That being said, I bought this thing looking for "pads" to add to analog type stuff I do. I found that this little machine has inspired me in some great ways. Limited? Well, yeah sort of. Tiny keys? HECK YES... and just so you know.. only 4 note polyphonic... I did not know that but that was not a game changer. The presets are great because you can fiddle with the knobs and change them. The stereo out being 1/4 jacks is just about as bad a$$ as it can be. I think for anyone looking for "synth" sounds in their home recordings or even their stage playing, this is one of the best values you will ever find. Again, not a hip-hop-dub-step-house-rock type dude.... but I see where this works there... I am using it to give atmosphere to guitar solos... IF you buy one, tinker with it, goof off, and IF you are like me, open your mind to some good old 80s-ish tones... you can get just about anything you want from it if you monkey with it enough. Not going into the voco thing... it works great for guitars but voice = not so much... no complaint though.I think what you pay for this is going to be worth it if you use it... Just wanted to write the review That I did not see for the instrument I was "ogling" ... thank goodness I bought it anyway :-)go to youtube and look at folks reviewing it. You will be able to tell if it is something you want. I can say that I am not disappointed.

"korg microkorg synthesizer/vocoder" submitted December 1, 2012

By tony peters in alhambra, CA
Overall
Musical Background: I'm 58, playing since 13 y.o.
Music Style: pretty much all
Overall: the order arrived quickly-very satisfied with price and purchase - I am primarily a guitar player - the korg is an amazing and amazingly interesting instrument -the presets are able to be manipulated to produce an incredible variety of sounds - my kids are learning keyboards and they are fascinated with this instrument, as am I - I run it through an amp and the sound is very good - no problems with the mini-keys - an incredible lead instrument, once the basic concepts of sound production are learned - the hands-on sound creativity are very retro and fun to manipulate - a little hard work at learning the ins and outs of this instrument make it a pleasure to use - the mod wheel, cut-off, and resonance controls are creativly manipulative - as close to Wakeman as I ever thought I'd be!

"A Very Phat little Synthesizer that you can take to bed." submitted July 4, 2003

By a customer from voicenet.com
Music Style: Rock, Techno
Sound: Amazing sound for such a small device. Comes with a good selection of preset synth sounds (128)....but once you learn to modify and create your own sounds using the built-in EDIT feature or Korg's free microkorg PC/Mac software you can download from Korg.com ..... watch out....you may become so absorbed in sound creation rapture, that your girl friend may leave you, you'll lose weight, and your family may wonder whether you should see a shrink because you sleep with "that little keyboard thing"....seriously. Feature: Only thing missing is a little gig bag. Although this thing can fit in a medium sized backback. Quality: For the low price, outstanding! However, it might be a good idea for Korg in the future to come out with a heftier "Pro-version" with aluminum body, better keys, etc... and charge a higher price. Once enough people get their hands on this little monster, Korg can easily sell a up-scale version to the well heeled purists. Value: Nothing comes close at this price. Manufacturer Support: Haven't needed any yet. The Wow Factor: Did I mention that I often sleep with this little thing?

"Fair money spent!" submitted December 4, 2003

Music Style: soundtrack
Overall: "Too frugal was I to justify spending the kind of money needed to aquire a power house instrument such as this. Well at $500 Cdn I had to give this one a try. I read mostly good reviews but even the good reviews pointed out its stiff and smallish key's and cryptic editing features. Well I'm here to say this isn't a piano, but rather it's a soundscape makers dream come true. Stiff keys give me a break! It's not a piano!! It's a tinkers work horse able to put up with the repeated abuse that it's designed for. I kid you not when I say the editing is fun, it has that rustic feel about it like when your driving down a country road and you never know what's over that hill just up ahead or what'll be around that bend. I'm gonna say it!! Too many knobs are a pain in the ass! Everyone say Amen... So if you're into getting your hands on a simple and intuitive piece of machinery than give this little fox a whirl! But if you're a pianist BEWARE! This far east wonder's meant for one hand on the keys and the other to turn the dials!"

"Amazing !" submitted May 3, 2012

By Shawn James in Brooklyn, NY
Musical Background: Professional Musician
Overall: This is one of the best purchases I ever made. This machine does it all.Right out of the box I started making great sounds with it. 125% satisfied. You can hook a guitar or bass up to it and also works with my Handsonic and am blown away by what it can do when I connect it to my Korg Trinity and synch them thru MIDI. I have owned this unit for about a month now and I play with it a few hours every single day.Great for live as it is in the studio.

"I've had it 3 and a half years. Still use it and love it." submitted April 17, 2008

Musical Background: Songwriter/Producer/Performer
Music Style: Electronic/Rock
Sound: Some sounds sound cheap, and some sound like they're created by a giant powerhouse synth. Either way, the presets contain a lot of great, creative sounds, and along with creating your own patches you can get wicked cool sounds out of this thing. Feature: Virtual patching and different waveforms for LFO allow for really creative sounds. You can plug in external audio sources and use the Micro's features to turn it into an FX box which is wicked cool. The vocoder sounds awesome as well. The mic that comes with it is fun. I don't use a more expensive mic, I prefer to use the one that comes with it because you can get really cool sounds from it. I LOVE the small keyboard. I can reach an octave and a half with a single hand which allows for some really creative playing. Ease of Use: You can use the factory presets if you don't want to program yourself and won't have to worry about not getting good sounds because the factory presets make great use of the keyboard and are really creatively designed. Programming takes a bit to learn. Once you do I think it's intuitive enough that programming whatever you want becomes simple. Most patches aren't velocity sensitive but it's easy enough to program them to be so if you want. Quality: Every knob and key works and feels as it should after 3 and a half years of use. Value: Honestly, if you played the keyboard for someone in the next room and then had them come in and see the keyboard, I think they'd be blown away at how big and cool of sounds came out of such a little keyboard. The Wow Factor: It looks really cool. I'm a fan of the retro-analog look. Wood panels on the side are neat. Overall: I've had it for three and a half years and I still use it in my productions and live performance. It's really fun and can get really big sounds at the same time.
26 of 30 people (86.67%) found this review helpful. Did you?

"Micro Korg und Coldvoid uber alles!" submitted April 4, 2004

By a customer from sbcglobal.net
Music Style: Black metal and dark ambient
Sound: Not too picky when it come to the sound. I was really only looking for the classic "strings" type synth sound, but found a whole lot more. Feature: Like the knobs, the whole thing is very compact, I don't mind the little keys at all. Quality: You woulnd't want to drop it. Lots of plastic, but what do you want for $400? Value: Best $400 I can remember spending. The Wow Factor: Not all that lusty, but very very practical. Overall: My instruments are guitar and bass guitar. I needed to get some basic synth sound for recording (specifically the kind of sound from Burzum's "Hvis Lyset Tar Oss"). Since the local shops don't even stock synths let alone rent them out, I had to buy one. Knowing absolutely nothing about synths (not even how to play one), I blindly bought this unit. Not only did I almost immediatly get the sounds I needed, but it opened up a whole new sonic world. I the month or so that I've had it, I've more than gotten my $400 worth from it. I've even used the vocoder.

"Quality, reliability and a cracking piece of kit." submitted December 5, 2007

By a customer from wolseley.co.uk
Musical Background: Producer
Music Style: Underground breaks, 4 to the floor, experimental downtempo
Sound: The mircokorg delivers! All pre programmed sounds are excellent and cover a wide spectrum. There are classic analogue sounds from the heady old skool rave days, sweet sweeping pads, harsh basslines, filthy electronic leads and mellow classic organ sounds. The vocoder is top class. The combinations are endless when it comes to creating and modelling sounds. Feature: The best feature for me was the ease of use. Granted it may take a little more time for a newbie to get used to the controls,envelopes, lfo etc but as long as you have a passion for synthesis, you will find yourself navigating the menu and parameters in no time. The only thing that would have made this piece of kit even more brilliant than it is is if it were to have a sequencer built in. Ease of Use: As i said this piece of kit is incredibly easy to use and it's so user friendly that the only other thing i was expecting was for it to by me a pint!! Menu navigation is a total doddle thanks to the matrix on the front panel. Being able to edit the parameters with the pots is handy and if for some reason you do have to consult the manual, you will find it quite informative and helpful. Quality: The retro wood finish adds a nice touch and the colour of it is nice but i wouldnt take it on the road with me. Maybe if korg gave it a metal finish like the electribe sx and mx I would take it out with me. The same goes for the pots but all in all if you look after it, treat it good and maybe take it out for a nice meal from time to time, it will last. Value: I bought this in 2007 so it had been out for a fair few years but for the price i paid I could definately not argue. Manufacturer Support: Havent had to contact korg yet (fingers crossed) The Wow Factor: It does have desirablilty about. The retro feel called me straight away and the design of the layout had me itching to tweak those pots. Overall: Badbwoy business for what i need it to do. maybe some PCM sounds and a hint of korgs multi modelling technology would have made it even more desirable but I'm well chuffed with it. We havent set a date yet but I'm sure I'll be taking the korg up the aisle soon enough.

"offit!" submitted February 18, 2007

Overall
Musical Background: active musician in a band
Music Style: metal, drum and bass, trance, hardcore
Sound: amazing Ease of Use: its really easy to use and make your own settings great for begginers Quality: it is good quality but you would definatly need a hardcase if on the road and using it live Value: best! Manufacturer Support: no problems The Wow Factor: it looks amazing with its vintage styling. Overall: im going to be satisfied with this for a good few more years

"I've owned a few Korg synth's from back in 1980 till present and have been satisfied with all." submitted December 22, 2009

By a customer from att.net
Musical Background: Active
Music Style: Alternative, Rock, Punk, Techo = any!
Sound: Sound is "what you make it". Feature: Only accessories were the Vocoder and the power supply. Your able to plug instruments into the Korg, but unable to use bot instruments at the same time. Ease of Use: With such a variety to manipulate = you can keep jaking with it until you find your groove. Quality: I've owned a few Korg synth's from back in 1980 till present and have been satisfied with all. Value: Worth the money spent 10 x's Manufacturer Support: never needed any! The Wow Factor: Kewl! Overall: Until it breaks!

"Owned it for 5 years." submitted November 26, 2010

Musical Background: Composer.
Music Style: Anything
Sound: I was 13, and in love with keyboard since I first heard it. It was the first keyboard I ever owned that made those huge synth sounds like I always wanted. At first, I didn't know how to get the most out of it, but I sure did learn after all those years of playing with it. Feature: This is a tough one, because at first I loved everything, but 2 years ago I got an Alesis Micron, and realized what I had been missing. A sequencer, drums, and layering abilities. Sure, you may not NEED them, but I sure love to have them on the Micron. Ease of Use: There's nothing that's really easier to use then an analog synth, where you have everything laid out in front of you, and when you're learning, you can just twist some knobs and hear the difference. The MicroKorg, though not analog, kept the feel of this. The guide next to it is pretty helpful at first when you need to remember what is on which part. Quality: I owned it for 5 years, and I'll be honest, I beat on it pretty hard. About a two and a half years ago, some keys started going. At first you'd have to hit them at little harder to get the note, but eventually they stopped all together. There's maybe 4 keys that don't make noise anymore. But everything else has held up short of the tempo knob loosening up. Value: When you're going for a synth like this, you can't really beat the price. Especially for the feel of it, and the synth/vocoder combo. Manufacturer Support: I never had to use support, as I had a friend who was factory trained on Korgs, but he was trained well. The Wow Factor: I needed it the second I laid eye and ear on it. Overall: A good solid product that lasted years, even through my beatings. Goodbye old friend.

"Great tool" submitted February 25, 2008

Music Style: Industrial
Sound: the sound is amazing, one of the best synths, I've ever used. Feature: It has many nice sound features, although the editing out sounds is limited. Ease of Use: The keys are smaller then normal, but it is mini, personally I like the small keys, they are nice with my fingers. The only problem I have is when I use the mini korg, then go to a reg. keyboard. it takes a bit to get used to. And someone complained about the keys before... ya, it's mini what do you expect. they also said that the vocoder is nice. That dude is on crack. It is the worst part. The vocoder is really distorted beyond all means. I doubt that guy even bought it.

"thickness" submitted April 24, 2008

Music Style: funk, hip hop
Sound: I wasnt expecting that much from a $400 synth, but damn, this thing sounds good. Pretty thick for a digital synth. Feature: It comes with a mic for the vocoder but it's better to use a real mic. Vocoder sounds pretty damn good too, kinda old school. It doesnt have that many features, but who needs them? Ease of Use: Real easy to make sounds, everything you need is on the front of the keyboard. The manual is good. Once you get used to the size, the keyboard is playable as hell, the keys are slightly weighted, really good feel. Quality: It's really light, very portable. Not that solid, what do expect for $400. Value: You can't get a better synth for the price. Perfect for beginners, but a lot of professionals use it also. The Wow Factor: looks alright Overall: probably replace it with a real analog synth eventually

"Get the Crowd Going with microKORG!" submitted June 4, 2010

Musical Background: Musician
Music Style: Alternative, Electropop, Metal
Sound: I love the sound of the microKORG synthesizer/vocoder. It has interesting electronic sounds and modulations, and an awesome tempo range that turns any room into a techno rave. I could totally use this to make a great electropop record. Feature: Besides having the tiniest keys on the planet, they have a bunch of cool features like octave buttons that make the sound range from an 80s-era synth bass to a high pitch, harmonized swooshing sound. Ease of Use: At first, I thought the tiny keys were hard to play, but after a while, it was a load of fun to use. Quality: Korg makes the best sounding and the most affordable synthesizers in the world. It's a modern day synth with a vintage look to it. It would be an awesome instrument to have in one's home. Value: It is the most affordable synthesizer I have played in recent years. Unlike Moog which ranges at about $1400, Korg makes the prices easier to afford. I wouldn't call it cheap, but it is much better than a generic Casio synth. Manufacturer Support: I don't need any service because I don't own the microKORG. I probably wouldn't need it if I owned it. The Wow Factor: I'm like Ebert and Ropert, I would love to give the microKORG synthesizer two thumbs waaay up!! It is a must have for electronica/dance artists that want to get the crowd on their feet and dancing until 6 am! Overall: There is nothing I like least about the microKORG at all! Go out there and try it out. I guarantee you will love the sound, the feel, and the price range of this amazing product!!

"Kickass sounds, crazy editing." submitted May 20, 2003

Music Style: Techno
Sound: Sounds are great. Its two part multitimbral, so you can get some fat leads and basses. Feature: Although its tricky, its fun to use it to process other audio sources via its two line inputs. Vocoder is badass too. You can process all kinds of crazy one shots through this and into your sampler. Quality: Its plastic, but you have to love the knobs and the woods side panels. It'll survive the studio, but i'm not sure about road worthiness. Value: It's a pretty good deal, but you might try looking at buying two Yamaha AN200's if its a little too outta your budget. The Wow Factor: its sexy and the specs are impressive.

"Considerable analog-style synthesis at a low price."

By a customer from server.ext
Music Style: Electronic, Industrial
Sound: The best virtual analog synth for the price. Feature: Substantial. Quality: Solid. Value: Also good! Built well, and sounds thick and full. Manufacturer Support: Pretty good! Excellent manual. The Wow Factor: First time I saw it, I thought "I must have it!" Good for mobile studios. Overall: I love it.

"AT LAST, A REAL RETRO SYNTH!" submitted May 3, 2003

By a customer from kv5.co.uk
Overall
Music Style: 1980's Electronic - Numan / Dep Mode / Bomb The Bass / Technotronic !
Sound: One Word! - I N C R E D I B L E - I've just sold My Roland JP8000 and purchased this as a replacement! - (What! I hear you say... Are you mad?) Well..... maybe...... But after hearing this thing in my local Music store I was totaly blown away. - Its the Best Modern Sounding analogue I've ever come across. I've been at the music making game for nearly 20 years now and have owned some of the finest analogue synths during that time.... and trust me on this one..... The Micro-Korg Is as good sounding as any vintage roland Or Moog! (Sometimes even Better) Feature: So So Many..... Quality: OK... so its got those nasty little keys! - but they actualy have a realy nice feel to them.... Not your usual toy town casio feel! Value: The synth engine alone hits the top value mark... but, with the built in vocoder it deserves a 10+ Manufacturer Support: no probs at the mo. The Wow Factor: The Look ! - Absolutely Retro...... Other manufacturers take note! - This is how they used to look.... Large back-lit buttons..... and knobs that would'nt look out of place in an episode of gerry andersons 'Thunder-Birds'...... Mmmm Real Wood! - Its gorgeous! Overall: This is without a shadow of doubt a 'FUTURE CLASSIC' and the minute KORG stop making this wonder machine they will become 'GOLD DUST' - Food For Thought !

"little,but powerful" submitted February 4, 2007

Music Style: pop rock
Sound: I like the sound, though it would be nice if it had some effects, Feature: i liked the features which include a arpeggiator and a vocoder. Ease of Use: THis synth is easy to use because you don't have to foll around with several knobs. Quality: So far I haven't had to take the microKorg in, nor have I had any minor problems. Value: This was a pretty good value. Manufacturer Support: i haven't had to deal with the company. The Wow Factor: It is attractive and has a hint a retro style with the wood panels. Overall: I would be happy with the microKorg for 5-10 years. Iwould like to buy The Roland jUno D, The Alesis IOn, and The KOrg Radius.

"Great as always!" submitted October 24, 2012

By Stephan B in Atlanta, GA
Musical Background: 40 plus years
Music Style: All types
Overall: I have and will continue to buys things from these guys they are the best and the products are always what they say it will be,

"This synth is great for the money and just plain great!" submitted June 29, 2005

Musical Background: Semi-professional musician
Music Style: Rock & Electronic
Sound: You can get so many sounds out of this beast because you have the analog synth waves and then you have the DGWS digital waves also. Very very versitile. A modern ms20. Feature: Everything you need. Would love more knobs but the synth would need to be larger for that so it is perfect. Quality: Seems reliable to me and I've had no problems after a couple years of use. Value: MS2000 in a smaller case for a lot less money. You figure it out. The Wow Factor: Very sexy. Overall: I could imagine that anyone could use one of these in their rig. For anyone who says this is a toy maybe they can explain all the times I've spotted this thing in stage setups along with much more expensive synths and keyboards? Off the top of my head two bands I know who are using this are Interpol and The Yeah Yeah Yeahs.

"BUY IT AND SMILE" submitted October 20, 2008

Musical Background: ACTIVE MUSICIAN
Music Style: HIP HOP
Sound: Its really spacely. Very good sound.....has a nice feel to the sound Feature: The features arent the bright part but still impressive for price Ease of Use: I made heat in five minutes Quality: Very good quality it will last a very long time Value: It is great value worth every penny even more! Manufacturer Support: Didnt Use it Dont need it The Wow Factor: Cool Cool look Overall: I really like the sound it makes my music professional.i will be signed in a minute due to skill....want...and THE MICRO KORG

"Size doesnt matter" submitted December 13, 2003

Music Style: Progressive Rock
Sound: This thing is deceiving at first site but it puts out awesome sound. You could cover anything from pink floyd to chemical brothers to radiohead on it. Feature: There are a lot of features on this thing. I would imagine it would take a good twenty minutes to program an effect from scratch. There are around 130 different FX already on the machine when you buy it. It even comes with the microphone for the vocoder. Quality: Definately a great buy for the price. Value: Good value for the price. Manufacturer Support: Haven't had to deal with any.

"Had it for one year now.. still Fantastic !" submitted November 5, 2004

Overall: this is not another casio toy. this is based on ANALOG synths of many decades ago, but uses semi decent dsp digital chips, that, in the final run , give you very close to ANALOG synth sounds, and Great MANUALL Y CONTROLLABLE FLEXIBILITY. if you carefully see the specs.. this tiny thing is surprisingly SIMILAR to their far more expensive Korg MS 2000 analog synth !! perhaps a far cousin to the famed NIkon F 70 camera, this is a similar story.. YOU need PATIENCE, and get a paper notebook and pen, and write down some of those settings ! it is mainly for experimentation. you can try things here, that you only dreamt of.. UNBELIEVABLE FLEXIBILITY. they call it analog MODELING synth for this reason. i dont recommend the WRITE FUNCTION.. that erases the pre programmed sound to replace it with your sound. so, just write down the settings, and you can pretty much duplicate it.. within a minute. you will need PATIENCE,and at least 20-40hrs Practice till you begin to understand the DEPTH of this machine. if you are Already into synths, in only a few hrs you should get the hang of it.. but even if you are a newbie (with patience),.. you will have so much FUN !!! output is stereo of course. KEYS ARE TINY , if you have HUGE hands, GOOD BYE and sayonnara.... BUT if you have tiny hands, you will go ape over this machine with never-ending adventures ! i actually got a good piano sound, and a helicopter sound in total of about 40mins of playing around.. by the 3rd session.. ( 4-5 hrs into learning this machine ) ALSO USE a machine like the 4 TRACK DIGITAL MIXER and RECORDER made by ZOOM with max memory. thats what i do.. on each NEW track you can add another new sound from this synth, and finally balance it all out ( POST operandi )after 4 tracks ! and COMPOSE a SONG with so many many many VARIED SOUNDS, that you wont believe what you just did ! practially make an Orchestra !!! hours will fly by ! FUN is the keyword here. JOY oh joy of creation. if you want similar power, but have little patience, and yearn for presets, and need instant repeatability, use the OTHER KORG machines, like the Triton, etc etc. this machine is made to sit down, have FUN and Experiment with ! of course, one can get pretty serious and stick in another identical or different KORG machine in series, and PROCESS the OUTPUT of one machine, by playing with the 2nd machine too !!!! Wave shaping and molding to no end .. n o LI MITS to imagination ! it has a mic too..( defeatable too ) and you can sound like Darth Vader.. or just let water drip into your sink, and reshape that waveform !! their manual/ book must be kept aside at all times. too much to read, and you cant mesmerize it all ! thanks. ps/ to KORG san.. if you had given them standard size keyboard, your sales on this item would have more than doubled... sigh. Recommended Yes , surely !!! experiment away !

"Very cool." submitted October 19, 2003

Music Style: Electronic
Sound: Sounds great! Not the best, but still awesome. Feature: The inputs for processing other audio sources besides a mic through the vocoder is cool. Runs several hours off of 6 AA batteries.. very cool! This will accompany me from now on when I'm on the train and on my next flight overseas. Quality: Plastic ~ Couldn't take too much abuse. However, it is still designed well, and will hold up for a long time if treated well. I would have spent some extra money if the thing had been made from better material. Value: Value is great, although you can get a full sized MS2000 used for close to the same price. The Wow Factor: I bought it, right? However, I'll replace this with a full sized MS2000 once I have the space.. This fits in perfect with the limited space I have right now. Overall: I've had alot of fun with it.. That's what counts, right?

"microkorg from zzounds" submitted June 17, 2012

By craig l in ventura, CA
Overall
Musical Background: i started playing guitar at 11, bass at 16, synthesizer/electronica at 23
Music Style: goth/industrial ie. skinny puppy and a dubstep side project ie. deadmau5
Overall: i did alot of research on a small portable synth that can be used as a midi controller and the microkorg won out everytime. i did about 5x times the research on where to buy the microkorg and Zzounds.com was not just head and shoulders above any other reseller it was head, shoulders, kness, and toes above the rest! amazon, guitarcenter, hellomusic, etc. WILL NOT let you make small payments without getting an inhouse credit card. oh and the customer service? a human has always answered my calls never a robot.. i cant say the same for any other reseller!

"Amazing Value. Powerful." submitted July 1, 2006

Music Style: Electronica, Drum and Bass, Breakbeat, House
Feature: It comes with 128 built in programs, however they are fully editable, and very attractive sounds. Ease of Use: Every Parameter of the program you are editing can be changed very easily once you warm up to the product. It's all in the knobs. Your selection on the two oscillator knobs with control want the five knobs on the right do. Quality: The Microkorg is well built. I've taken good care of it so i wouldn't just how robust it is but I trust Korg to the fullest and it is very well built. It is very light weight, and very portable. Value: This synth is very powerful for only 400 dollars. I didn't know anything when I bought it and I learned a lot from it. It is such a great buy for beginners or maybe a pro who wants to expand their library. It also has a built in vocoder which just sends its value through the roof. Overall: This will be with me for the rest of my life. I liked the microkorg so much I plan on buying the new Micro X. Great Buy for 400 bucks.

"Lovely" submitted November 4, 2008

By a customer from woodleigh.vic.edu.au
Musical Background: Producer, Electro/Indie Band
Music Style: Post-Punk,Electro-Indie
Sound: Well the Sound Quality is amazing. You can get all the Retro style sounds you want really easily by just creating a sound with it.And everyone is bagging the presets (no not the band) that it comes with but they're not half bad ahaha. Im not really into fully Techno or Trance but this thing makes it seem amazing and easy. Feature: Although it does seem so popular to even non-musicians the features are great so you can get a really squelching/screaming acid house feel to it and then have a totally laid back trip hop song. I havent really used the beats much as i have a drum machine (Boss DR-3) but they seem good quality enoguh Ease of Use: Its really easy to make your own sounds but its a bugger to program it. Quality: It all seems fine and the way its layed out is easy instead of having to dial things in all the time. Nothing seems wrong with it though but i reccomend getting a better mic for the Vocorder Value: Its great and really affordable Manufacturer Support: I havent had to deal with Korg because it hasnt had any problems The Wow Factor: Its lovely it makes me feel like Gary Numan or Brian Eno when im playing it because theyre are so many knobs and stuff. I love the Wood finish. Overall: Lovely

"Killer keys get the job done." submitted June 6, 2010

Overall
Quality: Keys are way too tiny but can work if you are careful. Overall: I just finished setting up my new home studio and just finished my first real piece of music. I used the microKorg exclusively. It smokes! Enjoy this free track: "Face of the Deep" http://www.mediafire.com/?mgkutmmm1zt (320kb mp3 format, 9.42 MB) Feedback and opinions welcomed. Feel free to stick it in a radio show spot as desired. John W. Patterson http://SourceCodeX.com

"A Must Buy!" submitted June 13, 2005

Musical Background: Dj/Producer
Music Style: Anything From Hiphop to Rock (No Country)
Sound: The Sound Quailty is pretty damn good Just wish it would have more sounds... Feature: The Vocoder Rocks!!!!!! Quality: Well Made, classic feel. Value: Well Worth its Price The Wow Factor: Classic Look and Feel Overall: This is it! The vocoder i always wanted!

MicroKorg Synth/Vocoder Customer Review submitted January 7, 2005

Overall
Sound: I love this analo-retro sound in all its ways.... Feature: Little size but very big great sounds and inexpensive too!!!...

"Yeah..no!" submitted December 7, 2008

Overall
Musical Background: Active Musician, Producer, Singer/"Synthist"
Music Style: Screamo and Electronica
Sound: The sound's good. Complicated to figure out for the most part. Feature: Not a whole lot of features. The arpeggiator's nice, but not that great, and you'll wear it out pretty quickly. Ease of Use: Easy to play, and navigate presets; Complicated to build your own sounds if you're not an expert at it. Quality: Here's where I'm most disappointed. I've had it for a few years now, and I have 4 keys that don't make a sound at all. A broken Program Number key, and it won't run on batteries anymore. Value: It really depends on what your style is, and what you're looking for in a synth. This was what I was looking for at the time, def. not anymore. Manufacturer Support: I can't really rate this, 'cause I've never called them. The Wow Factor: At the time, I wanted one very badly. I was about 14, and worked at a music shop. I was supposed to be cleaning guitars, but I was usually fooling around with this thing. I saved up for months to get it, and it was when they first came out. Overall: I get very aggravated at my broken keys, and it's ability to no longer function on batteries. I've never been rough with it, I have never dropped it. Just normal playing, there's no need to hit the keys hard(accept when that's the only way to make them work, and then they just stop working anyway). I'm so sick of this things, I'm getting a Micron. Fer sure.

"You want to make unique sounds, and become a pro? Buy the microKORG!" submitted July 27, 2004

Music Style: Trance, Drum N'Bass, House, Techno, Funk, Hardcore
Sound: Clearest electro type sound I have ever heard, un real. Feature: Has everything you need to complete your studio workstation. Quality: Everything manufactures perfectly just how everything should in your studio. Value: Well worth the money, it completes everything the value is awesome for a product of this quality Manufacturer Support: Awesome support, A +. The Wow Factor: Attractive machine that will grab any producers attention. Overall: The best piece of equiptment in my studio besides the mc-909!!

"Good analog synth" submitted March 17, 2006

Overall
Sound: Quality. Kinda 80's but cool Feature: Vocoder is cool Quality: Kinda toy like Value: Worth it 4 the price The Wow Factor: It's cool but not incredible. Overall: It's a fun little doodad 2 add to the studio

"guy who said dont buy this because of small keys is an idiot, and a sorry excuse for a musician. this keyboard is amazing, perfe" submitted February 17, 2008

Overall
Musical Background: active musician/dj recording engineer/ audiophile
Music Style: folk electronic psych rock hip hop experimental other
Sound: sounds great, sounds just like mk2000 etc. great reproduction of old synth sounds. to get any better than this you'd have to pay twice the regular price for minimal sound quality difference. that is unless your getting more osc's and filters, but for a begginner this is more than awesome. Feature: great product for entry level synth heads/ fm synthesis newbies because of price, heavy on features. ive been using this for years and still creating new sounds with it. Ease of Use: ITS FM SYNTHESIS ITS NOT A PIECE OF CAKE. in terms of finding a sound u like from presets and playing, np 10/10 Quality: great quality, to the person who said dont buy this it has tiny keys, your aer seriously a fool who obviously did no research on this and just dropped 450 dollars on something you knew nothing about but looked cool maybe? its called MICRO korg for a reason, sure its not the best keyboard but its definitely an amazing one. as most owners will agree. if you want the best, go ahead and drop 3000 dollars on a vintage synth seeing as the guy has so much money he can just spend half a grand on something he knows nothing about, then complain about no less.

"Kool Korg" submitted January 13, 2005

By a customer from optonline.net
Musical Background: Producer
Music Style: Hip hop, rap,
Sound: The sound quality is amazing. Feature: It has many input and output shafts that are helpful when using other audio devices. The Wow Factor: This is any producer's must-have synth.

"TINY KEYS---Don't Buy it" submitted January 27, 2008

Musical Background: Performance Keyboardist, Recording Artist
Music Style: Black Metal, Rockabilly, 80's Synthpop
Sound: The sound is okay, but it's like IMPOSSIBLE to get a good sound out of it with those tiny keys on it.... Feature: The tiny keys are a horrible feature of the keyboard, although I guess the vocoder is okay.... Ease of Use: Two Words: TINY KEYS. I can't play this thing it's like impossible Quality: It's made of cheap plastic keys, especially the keys. i bougt the reverse color key version and it was bad I dont't recommend. Value: i woulnd't get this again if someone handed it to me wqith a thousand dollars. Manufacturer Support: They answered the phone, but they wouln't send me big keys The Wow Factor: Umm... yeah I don't want it make one with biggger keys.

When you call, mention priority code 1451-06F0. Llame Gratis en Español: 800-460-7976