When you call, mention priority code 200-TWSV

Rating and Reviews: Korg Krome-61 Keyboard

Play Korg's uber-realistic "German D Grand" piano and 600+ more stunning sounds -- then build 16-track sequences on the Krome workstation's wide 7" display.

"Korg Krome **BLEMISHED**" submitted May 18, 2015

By Fred E
Overall
Musical Background: Semi-pro musician, 20 years of gigging experience on guitar, bass, and keyboards.
Music Style: rock, acoustic
Overall: I bought a blemished Korg Krome in April 2015, and I usually have good luck with blemished, open box, display units, and used. I save a few bucks here or there in exchange for some scratches and dings or whatever. 95% of the time it's worth it for the discount, so I knew what I was getting into when I went down that road. I joined a new band that wanted me to play some keyboards in addition to guitar, so I needed a new board quickly. I'm a prior Korg user (Triton), but it wasn't working, so I figured I wanted something new, in the same family, to make the learning curve easy. The Krome is at a good price point for the features, especially at the blemished price point. It's a watered down version of a full blown workstation/sampling synth. No sampling, sample file playback, or vocoder, in case you are wondering. Overall, the keyboard has good, but not great, factory preset sounds. The interface is easy to work with, and it's pretty straightforward to create combinations and edit sounds. There are a lot of base sounds that are usable out of the box for cover songs, after you set up your combinations and splits. There are definitely a lot of the Korg staple sounds that have been around since the Tritnity days, and some are a little dated. There's not a lot of 'new' sounding stuff, so if you want to do dubstep and new EDM out of the box, this probably is not the board for you. For decent pianos, organs, electric pianos, horns, pads and some synth lead sounds, it's pretty good. As far as the playability goes, the keys feel a little on the cheap side, and they also feel a little narrow on the black keys. I guess it's to be expected for a lower end board. The touch sensitivity is a little awkward and doesn't track the best. In defense of the keyboard, I'm more used to a 88 key weighted feel, but the keys on my Novation Impulse feel better than the Krome. I'm not a key feel snob, though. My daughter's $80 Yamaha beginner board has better key feel to me, so your mileage may vary. Volume knob stops increasing the volume after about the 3:00 position. I don't think it's an issue with the board, I think it's the design. After I purchased it, I got my old Triton back from the shop and did a little sound comparison. While the Triton is almost 15 years old, I have to say it sounds a little better, it's a little punchier, a little brighter, and a little clearer. The Krome sounds a little muffled in comparison, I assume this is due to the quality of the D/A converters and audio components, but I have no idea really. At the same time, the electric pianos and organs on the Krome are a little more accurate in terms of the samples themselves, even if the output is a little flat. The main reason I didn't give it 5 stars is that while I purchased it as 'blemished', it wasn't a blemished item, it was a returned/reboxed item, and I may still return it, mainly because of the issue below:. There is something inside rattling around. Keyboard works, but I don't like that something is inside moving around and could potentially short it out. I called the support line, and they said I could return it, or take it to a certified repair shop to get it looked at. Problem is, I need something for rehearsals and gigs, I don't really need it in the shop. Haven't made a decision yet, I still have a few days left before I need to decide whether to return it or keep it. Other issues that aren't really a big deal but worth noting: 1) Wrong type of USB cable came with it, clearly just packaged up and sent, and not looked over. I have spare cables, so it's not the end of the world, but I can't give it 5 stars because of the lack of attention to detail.. 2) Manual has all kinds of liquid stains on it, like a coffee mug, etc. I don't care about this, and it's not affecting the ratings, it just lets me know that it's a returned item and not a blemish. The board itself was clean, and works fine, like I said, major concern is the rattling inside. Overall, as an entry level pro board, it was a value at $750. Not sure I would pay $1000 for it though.

"Great Keyboard " submitted December 11, 2012

By Mack B in Indianpolis, IN
Overall
Musical Background: Played classical piano for 6 years, then moved to self composition of other styles for the past 5 years
Music Style: classical, jazz, funk, pop.
Overall: For a while I've been wanting to add a synth action workstation to pair up with my sv-1. I considered the Kronos, but was held back due to the price. I tried a roland juno gi. While it had a great keybed and seemed to be built well, its functionality left me feeling I'd be done with it in a month. I promptly returned and decided to wait it out. The Krome was announced and I was pretty excited. We get the great piano and e-pianos from the Kronos mixed with the likes of an m50 with a better display. All this for a great price. While this certainly isn't a Kronos (still the edsx engine and not a sampler) it inspires me. When you tune into that perfect sound and hit the drum track or arp, you can really get caught in a great amount of creativity. This is exactly what I needed, and what the Juno couldn't quite deliver. With that said, there are some cons. The keybed is not as good as the gi or the kronos in my opinion, but still good enough to get feel and not feel like you're going to break it. I wish the synth sounds were a little bigger. They are good, but after hearing what the Kronos can do, I'll always be wanting that. The boot time is slow, so if you're a live performer keep this in mind. I understand this thing is just a computer anyway, so using it my apartment, this is not a con. Lack of extraneous outputs like xlr or additional inputs. Power button feels cheap Has an external power supply (may be a pro for some). No live set view (software update or upgrade Korg? I know this is possible). With that said, this purchase was well worth it. Highly recommended for someone needing a entry level to mid level workstation.
41 of 45 people (91.11%) found this review helpful. Did you?

"Korg Krome" submitted July 20, 2014

By Charles Faison in Goldsboro, NC
Overall
Musical Background: I play keyboard, piano and organ. been playing for 14 years. I play for my church.
Music Style: Mostly gospel, but I also dibble in r&b and soul.
Overall: This is an amazing keyboard. The sounds are among the best I've heard. Great deal for a board with so many options to choose from.

"Krome vs. MOX8" submitted January 29, 2013

By Matt C in Peoria, IL
Musical Background: 25 years experience semi-pro
Music Style: all
Overall: A lot of interest out there on which one to buy. I'm forturnate now to have both. The 61 Krome and the 88 key MOX8. This is my opinion. Not really a fanboy of either Yahama nor Korg, and mainly a guitarist wanting to refresh his keyboarding and songwriting/recording skills. Haven't got into the deep aspects of each board, which both seem extensive. So going on sounds alone...the Yamaha wins easily. It has a lot more to offer (over 1000 vs. 640?, greater variety, and the combo modes are very inspiring and downright cool in some cases. The Korg combos seem like quick layering and are mainly piano and something else. While I was expecting to be blown away by the much touted Korg uncompressed unlooped piano, that was the biggest dissapointment of all. There's still something about it that sounds artificial even compared to the Yamaha. Ya maybe its a little robust due to those aspects, but the phony sounding attack gets me. Yamaha does it much better, just wish they offered more piano varieties like the Korg. Korg's touch screen is great compared to the yamaha, but there's also a minute boot up time vs the 10 secs or so for the Yahama. I think no one minds the boot up time if the sound delivers, but I was left underwhelmed going through the Korg the first time. I control the Korg via the MOXs 88 weighted keyboard, which is obviously better, as the Korg's 61 keyboard does feel cheap, but understandable I guess giving all the features offered. I read where yamaha wins vs the 88 version of the Krome, but I can't comment. The yamaha controls it well, with no noticable difference in sound between the Korgs keys, which sometimes happens. As a side note, its interesting to note to my ear the IKmedia Piano Ipad app has a great a piano that gives both Yamaha and Korg a run for the money in realism...and theres a free version. To rap up the Korg is a nice board, and for what I paid for the 61 version I'm content. But having purchased the MOX8 a week earlier, I am very glad I bought it and did so in the 88 key version. I still look forward to spending more time with the Krome and will keep it. It does have some great patches that yamaha doesn't. But if I had to have just one, it would definitely be the Yamaha. Hope that helps...
41 of 53 people (77.36%) found this review helpful. Did you?

"zzounds @ the korg krome 61 key" submitted October 21, 2014

By mike banks in tampa, FL
Musical Background: since 1983 keyboard, drum machine, drums , dj
Music Style: since 1983 i play rap hip hop ,electrofunk, R&b
Overall: I just love the new Korg Krome & the zZounds play as you pay plan beautiful sounds & a wonderful payment plan I wish I would of did this years ago but I kinda felt cheated lol but I know now so I'm finally on top of my game with the latest equipment from zZounds I highly recommend them to any musician or novice player I rate zZounds 1 out of 10 on a scale I give it a 20!

"Korg Khrome 61" submitted May 21, 2014

By Eric Medina in 3969 Bandini Ave, CA
Musical Background: 35 years of piano/keyboard playing
Music Style: Christian/Gospel Salsa R&B
Overall: Excellent keyboard. Very pleased with it.

When you call, mention priority code 200-TWSV. Llame Gratis en Español: 800-460-7976
Shop with those who respect your privacy — we do. Copyright © 1996-2015, zZounds Music, LLC. Terms of use apply.