When you call, mention priority code 16XJ-GMHF

Rating and Reviews: Ibanez S5470 Prestige

The Ibanez S5470 is one fast-playing axe -- with Hot Grinder humbuckers, a Short Tracer in the middle, a razor-thin Prestige neck and the famous ZR2 bridge.

"THIS IS THE ONE!" submitted July 17, 2008

Overall
Musical Background: Drummer, Guitarist, Bassist, Vocalist, DJ/Scratch DJ, Senior College Music Industry student
Music Style: Anything and Everything
Sound: The only complaint I have at all about this guitar is the lack of sustain. You hold a note and it seems like it will sustain, but the it dies away within a few seconds. Not too much of a problem though. The 5 way selector is great. You can get a variety of sounds from it. I like all types of music and have no problem tailoring the sound for the style of the moment. I used only a Boss OD-3 Over Drive and ran that into my 003 Rack. The recording sounded awesome! The pickups are very versatile for being stock. Other than the sustain, there isn't anything the company could do to make it better. Feature: The double locking tremolo stays in tune even after some heavy whammy abuse. I was told that this shouldn't be my first real electric since it had a locking nut and drop D tuning would be a hassle. Honestly, it hasn't been an issue at all. The fine tuners adjust enough to drop the strings at least 3 half steps up and/or down. The other thing that made it easy is that the headstock has a little clamp attached to allow it to hold the 2 included allen wrenches. All of the hardware, frets, and wood are top notch and extremely solid. You can't go wrong. I can't say enough good things about this guitar! Ease of Use: The neck is thin and smooth. Super easy to play. It took a little getting used to having all of the playing area filled up with pickups with the low action (I started out on acoustic and then played a Strat copy) but after that short moment your fingers just fly. Playing 32nd notes is butter. So easy. The pickup selector, tone controls, and volume are easy to use. I was honestly scared to change strings for the first time because I didn't want to mess anything up, but the nicely printed intuitive manual kept things simple. I understand how this guitar functions and have no problems making adjustments and changing strings. The guitar is so easy to use and play so don't be intimidated by the hardware. It's all top notch and your answers are in the manual. Quality: I didn't have a chance to see or pick one of these up in person, but when my guitar arrived and I saw the case, I knew I was in for a treat. I opened up the case and the very moment when I picked up the guitar and just gripped the neck I knew that this was my guitar. I knew that it was the right choice. The quality of the Japanese craftsman is astounding. It was super smooth, and everything lined up perfect! I'm extremely picky about everything, and this wonder passed all of my scrutiny with flying colors. I stared at pictures, debated on finishes, and eventually settled on the satin oil. Trust me it looks amazing in person. I'm usually a gloss black kinda guy, but it was time for a change, and what a wonderful change it was. I do want to mention that I did have an ART300 in black (made by Ibanez), but took it back because of poor craftsmanship. Don't get the Ibanez Prestige models made in China with model numbers 2170. All of the Japanese models are model numbers 5470 whether they are S or SV prestige. Better yet, don't buy any guitar made in China. Either go American or Japanese because from experience and my attention to detail these have always been the best. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Ever heard of the difference between an American made Strat and a Mexican made Strat? You can FEEL it. The same applies here. I did pick up an American Strat which was in the running, but decided on this. No regrets and I'll never go another route. Value: This guitar is priced up there with American Deluxe Strats. I picked up an American Strat and a Deluxe Strat, but they didn't suit me. I wanted to like them and wanted an American made guitar, but something just wasn't right. I saw this, read tons of reviews, articles, stared at a lot of pictures, and put my faith in the Japanese craftsman. This guitar is more of my style. Before this guitar I bought a Fernandes Ravelle Kushner signature model, but it was made in China which became apparent on arrival so I sent it back. The Ravelle shape is my style and my most favorite design ever, but Fernandes is making a mistake by outsourcing to low quality craftsmanship. So I continued on the guitar quest and settled on the Ibanez. Best musical purchase ever. Manufacturer Support: Ibanez and Tama are manufactured by Hoshino. I did have to deal with them in sending an EW20 to get repaired, and their tech cracked the clear coat and still sent it to me. The problem with the electronics also wasn't fixed. I sent it back again and didn't hear anything for a few weeks. So I called again and after talking to support, and going round and round with RA (return authorization numbers) a few days later it turns out they lost my guitar. After they finally found it, they decided to send me an entirely new EW20 with a darker color (originally was bright blonde). The whole process took a few months. I was out of a guitar for guitar instruction at my university. I don't think all of the trouble was worth it, but they did finally follow through. You have to watch out for quick jobs on your equipment and make sure that you get what you pay for. That's been my only experience with them and I don't think I'll have any other issues because there wont be a reason since the quality is so high on my Prestige. The Wow Factor: Like I said before I'm more of a gloss black kinda guy (black goes with everything), but the satin oil finish along with the smoothness and thinness of the guitar just make it super sexy. This guitar is like the girlfriend you tell all of your friends about. She's hot, easy to deal with, does everything you need, and reminds you of why you are a musician. Ok, maybe not so much the last point, but the 5470 will remind you of why you are a musician. Overall: This piece of art will last a long time. I take care of it and don't see it going anywhere or failing on me at all. I'll probably keep it as long as I live. It's seriously that great! I forgot to mention I also checked out some PRS guitars (not SE), but this one is way better. Everything feels so much better on the Ibanez. Call me crazy, but it's the truth. I am truly happy with this purchase, and if I got another guitar it would probably be a Fernandes Ravelle if they make them in Japan/US (it's a Japanese company) and make them available here in the states, but that would only be to supplement the Ibanez. If this guitar was stolen I'd definitely get another one. Same model, same color, same everything. Then hope that whoever stole it died in a boat fire. I wish I knew that this guitar would've been the one because it would've saved me a few months of searching and cruising stores and the net. THIS IS THE ONE! BUY IT! You wont regret it.
107 of 118 people (90.68%) found this review helpful. Did you?

"EVERYTHING YOU COULD WANT IN A GUITAR" submitted December 23, 2010

Overall
Sound: i was playing it in a store just to try it out. if memory serves me right the sustain is shorter when you play the lower neck.i heard there are ways to increase sustain by raising or lowering the string profile or something. this guitar plays a lot of different types of music. i was looking online for reviews and complaints about the guitar and people say something about the stock pick ups should be replaced. i also heard that they SHOULDN'T be replaced because they are actually triple coil pick ups or something like that and its hard to find other pick ups for this guitar. Feature: i dont know much because im a noob, but the neck and the bridge feels really nice. other than that i wouldnt know. Ease of Use: its amazing to play on. when i was in the store it was the best 2 hours i had playing it. the employees told me i had to leave because i was hogging the guitar. the neck is so easy to move up and down, its neck was so smooth it was like playing on melting ice. every time you wanted to move your hand the guitar helped you. Quality: oh yea, the quality was beast. the finish for the natural blue was sleek and the guitar looks like it was built to be thrown and still be able to be played on.(dont throw it though) Value: it has a great value and its everything the reviews say. Manufacturer Support: N/A i heard about the warranty being amazing though. The Wow Factor: i love it. the easiness of the playability and all. Overall: i think i will never replace this guitar. i wouldnt replace it if it was stolen. if i saw someone steal it id either chase them down and kick bite punch scream and fight dirty to get it back, or if i didnt know who did it i will find out and destroy his house, or simply buy it again.

"Awesome Guitar" submitted March 14, 2013

By Stephen K in Pooler , GA
Musical Background: 38 yrs playing semi professionally
Music Style: Alternative Rock, Heavy Metal
Overall: Ive been an Ibanez fan for 30 years. This is my second Prestige and they just keep getting better and better.

"Many Kudo's, very few complaints." submitted April 29, 2011

Overall
Sound: Sounds good for metal but bluesy sounds are weak. Need to do height adjustments on pickups to get clean and musical tones out of HB's. SC pickup should be screwed almost all the way down to avoid resonances with HB's on low E at 12th fret and higher. Would be better made as a HSS instead of HSH configuration. I like the SRV neck SC sound but it's vaguely reminiscent of a LP at the neck if you do fine tuning to height of the HB. I find 3mm distance from string at bridge, 4mm at neck and around 4.5-5mm with the SC for height to suit my tastes. There is a slight .25mm variance with high E being slightly closer. Try it out but measure string heights before you do, you may not like this flavor/tone. Feature: Love the ZR2. Get threadlock for the screw on the trem/vib bar as it WILL come loose and perhaps get lost. Neck is very nice but some getting used to compared to a LP or Strat. It's so thin/wide...seems slightly larger scale too. Slightly. Ease of Use: Get to know it...get to love it...enjoy it for life...need I say more? Quality: Threadlock! Allen wrench plastic parts break easy so don't use holder on headstock. Aside from this it's solid...mine is anyway. I don't expect it will break of it's own will...maybe my carelessness might kill it but if you honor it, it should honor you. Value: Excellent quality neck...handmade manicured feel...body flawless. SOL finish. Bought at 999 on sale (SOL Finish)...would pay 1500 though, it's worth it. Manufacturer Support: Haven't needed it yet. The Wow Factor: Good looking guitar. Overall: Will keep for life, change pickups perhaps, general maintenance. Will love it and cherish it as a member of the family.

When you call, mention priority code 16XJ-GMHF. Llame Gratis en Español: 800-460-7976