When you call, mention priority code 1767-JS2C

Rating and Reviews: Hofner HCT5001 Bass

Featuring the original Staple-Top pickups popularized by the Beatles, the Hofner HCT5001 electric bass offers the warm, open tone that Hofner fans expect.

"Hofner Contemporary Bass has looks, sound, and mojo" submitted May 20, 2009

Musical Background: hobbyist/semi-pro
Music Style: Rock, Blues, Country
Sound: The pick-ups are great--loud, no buzzing, better than my Jaguar Bass. Because of the nature of the bass, you do have to be careful to avoid microphonics--it's just the nature of this beast, not a defect in the instrument. But those microphonics also create a warm tone, and can make it sound a bit like an acoustic stand up bass. The sustain block and the controls for volume, bass/rhythm are great. The bass/rhythm set-up is more of an equalizer than just a pickup selector--very nice. Feature: Decent case, but nothing special. The finish on the body, the fretboard, the frets, is perfect. Very nice. It feels like the $2000 bass, just a little heavier than the German made one. That being said, this is simply the easiest bass to strap on you back that I can imagine, except for the slightly lighter German version. Ease of Use: The feel and fit of this bass is phenomenal. I can do complex Beatles bass lines with ease. It works beautifully with muting. You may find it a little difficult to get used to picking it, but it passes. Picks work better than fingers for this one--the thick rubber ones make a great sound. Quality: This is just a wonderful =ly put together bass. It is a bargain at $750 or so. Easily worth a could hundred more. This is, by its nature, a more delicate bass than a Fender P-Bass, for instance, so you do have to keep it protected from hot weather, etc. Value: I have difficulty with long scale basses. They are heavy, thick, and too difficult for me to fret. This bass made playing fast, complex bass lines a possibility for me. It improved my playing almost immediately. For younger players, those with physical limitations, or those who tire holding a "bazooka", this is a great sounding, beautiful one to work with. It just feels right to me. Manufacturer Support: No problems. Web site a little terse. Instruction manual pretty good. The Wow Factor: It's right up there with a 12-string rickenbacker--it's got that mojo and look. Grabs the attention of all who see it. Simple, light, perfect. Overall: I'm keeping this one. Maybe someday I'll get the German one--but not any time soon.
40 of 41 people (97.56%) found this review helpful. Did you?

"seems to be a very well made product" submitted November 2, 2008

Overall
Musical Background: i have played bass for about 35 years doing all kinds of music
Music Style: classic rock, country, blues
Sound: this bass seems to be well made. i owned a hofner 5000 club model and i would say that iniyail impressions are that it is as good if not better. i didn't care for the sound that the original strings provided so i replaced them with hofner flatwounds. the resulting sound was far richer and i was still able to get a very strong treble sound when i wanteed it. i have no complaints and would recomend this bass. the only question is durability which i won't know for quite some time.but as of now i am very happy with it Feature: the only beefs i had was the original strings but thats a matter of personal preference. all of the materials seem to be of adequate quality. but there was no truss nut wrench. Ease of Use: there was no manual...but hey. the neck is fast and comfortable. the control panel is like my hofner 500....that is it appears to be backwards, but i am used to that Quality: seems to be Value: competitive price as good or better tna others i have seen Manufacturer Support: the only beef i had was the absence of mention of a supplied case. i bought a bag for it and when i received it found that it had a case. zzounds offered to accept the bag as a return but i decided to keep it for another guitar that i have. Overall: so far so good
30 of 31 people (96.77%) found this review helpful. Did you?

"Great Little Hofner" submitted November 1, 2012

By Judd R in Fulton, MO
Overall
Musical Background: Jammer, been playing 10 years, play bass, guitar, dulcimer, mandolin, etc.
Music Style: blues, rock, funk, jazz, psychedelic, MUSIC
Overall: I have always wanted a hofner ever since I was first starting out with the stringed furniture... This is an amazing bass. Please do not hesitate to grab one while they're still under $1000... I bought mine last year off of zZounds and I have not regretted it yet. Probably never will. I think it is even better than the original hofners without the sustain block... LOVE IT.

"Great Bass from the past.." submitted November 22, 2013

By Cliff Payne in Oak Grove, MO
Musical Background: 50 yrs...bass
Music Style: 60's with The Bucket Band
Overall: Been in the business for 50 yrs...had them all...this and my ric are my main axes...very Beatle like sound with flat wounds...love this bass...light weight, good tone..fast neck....case could be better but over all a good deal..zzsounds is the company to buy from, they take care of their customers....

"Great playability and tonal control based on playing position - but controls and string balance are sub-par." submitted November 9, 2011

By a customer from skybeam.com
Overall
Musical Background: Still playing bass after 40 years; high school rock band followed by regular playing with church praise bands.
Music Style: Rock, praise.
Sound: Playing with flatwounds. Very rich bass sound only if played with both pick-ups and loudness switch on, otherwise sound varies dramatically from string to string. Sustain varies from string to string - lots from the D string, a little less from G and A, and a lot less from the E string. However, what I like the most is that I can play up on the neck and get a really deep, mellow sound, but as I move down towards the bridge, the sound gets progressively and dramatically brighter. I find the controls are not easy to use to get the tone I want, but I can get it by changing wihere I play (I use fingers - no pick). Feature: I hate the controls. Not intuitive. Plus, it really only sounds good with both pick-ups on and the loudness switch on - one volume control could replace three controls and 3 switches and I would not miss the deleted items. The workmanship is beautiful. Ease of Use: Controls - I don't like them at all. However, playability is really great. Quality: I've been playing mine for three years, and it is holding up well. Manufacturer Support: Have not tried to contact the company. It would be nice if their website provided some information on how to adjust the pick-ups for better balance between the strings. The Wow Factor: Look, feel, and the history of Hofner - lots of appeal. Overall: I am starting to look around for something new. Would like to have the uniform strng response and sustain I get with my P-bass with the playability of the Hofner, along with the differnt tones I get from the Hofner when moving my plucking fingers towards and away from the bridge.

"Hofner bass" submitted November 9, 2012

By Stephen Pannone in largo, FL
Overall
Musical Background: 50 years play home and out...
Music Style: Blues, country, rock
Overall: Love,love,love great fast delivery I will tell my friend and I will be back....

"Dr. Davis' insights about his new Hofner HCT5001." submitted June 6, 2008

By a customer from muohio.edu
Overall
Musical Background: Doctorate in Music: Composer, Arranger/ Performer/ Music Professor
Music Style: Damn near everything.
Sound: My new HCT5001 is a very well made bass. I own a reissue (2001) 1962 German made Hofner. I have the two side- by-side for comparison. The fit and finish of the HCT5001 is superior to the German made Hofner. The HCT5001 is more resonate than the german made Hofner. This is neither better nor worse. Just different. The HCT5001 intonates more accurately in the upper register than the German made Hofner. For Hofner purist who want the attack and decay characteristics of the German Hofner, the HCT5001 will produce far too many high harmonics. But, a lot of this can be EQed out. The result is a sound much like a German Hofner, with more sustain. Another solution is to use RotoSound RS88S strings, rather than the Pyramid flatwound strings. RotoSound RS 88S strings are tapewound, and produce far fewer upper harmonic partials than are present in the Pyramid sound. Note that the string grooves in the (HCT5001) nut will have to be enlarged to allow the RS 88S strings to seat properly. Careful! The HCT5001 nut is plasic, and cuts easily. The RotoSound strings make the HCT5001 almost identical in sound to the German Hofner. Quality: Superior. Value: A great value. marvelous. The Wow Factor: A very sexy looking instrument. However, I only purchaed it because of its sound, quality and value. Yeah, sure. Overall: I will keep it for the rest of my life.
37 of 38 people (97.37%) found this review helpful. Did you?

When you call, mention priority code 1767-JS2C. Llame Gratis en Español: 800-460-7976