When you call, mention priority code 170R-TL74

Rating and Reviews: Gibson Hummingbird Guitar

The Gibson Hummingbird is a classic troubadour's guitar. With a Solid Sitka Spruce top and Solid Mahogany back and sides, the Hummingbird sounds fantastic.

"A Dream Come True" submitted April 21, 2011

Music Style: Southern Gospel and Country & Folk & Bluegrass Gospel
Sound: The Hummingbird is a great sounding guitar like they say, it has a very balanced and well blended sound across the sound spectrem of the dreadnought style guitars!!! I am so pleased with mine,and it's very pretty to look at!!! I own a D-45 Martin and it has more substain and volume and more flashto it, but it's rosewood, and the Hummingbird is Mahogany, so you know it will be different in sound. I also own a Martin HD-28 and it's a fantastic guitar too, but the Hummingbird is my favorite for playing while singing because it has the looks and a great sound with good substain and it blends really well for singing it louder than a Taylor but softer and a little less volume than a martin in other words it's a true win,win guitar for me!!! Feature: Came with a deluxe hard shell case (not the less desireable molded plastic) but the classic kind, padded with a plush blue interior (real sharp)and Gibson embosement on the outside lid top. Manufacturer Support: So for there has been no reason to use support!!!
24 of 26 people (92.31%) found this review helpful. Did you?

"Gibson Hummingbird: A classic from Gibson Montana" submitted July 23, 2014

By Gary B in Seattle, WA
Musical Background: 30+years Coffeehouse musician
Music Style: folk, folk-rock, contemporary
Sound: I used to have a Gibson 'Hummingbird Artist'---less in price but not really a true Hummingbird. The "real" Gibson Hummingbird is just that---got a wonderful sound much better than the Hummingbird Artist. This was the first time I had purchased a 'Blemished' instrument and I was pleasantly surprised, as some Hummingbirds I had played locally did not sound good at all. I had a '65 Gibson Hummingbird that sounded great but the nut width was way too narrow(the one's back in the mid to late '60's were 1 9/16". I sold it. The Gibson Montana Hummingbirds do not have a sound like the '60's ones, but they are built better and their sound is just as good…just a different palette to your ears. Feature: Set up nicely with light strings, it's got a smooth sound to it that resonates nicely. It's hard to put down! Got a voice unique from my other guitars. I see that the pick guard image is not painted on top(it wore off easily and Gibson got a lot of complaints) but it's somehow underneath the pick guard plastic or has some kind of clear coat over it so it won't wear off. The MOP on the fretboard is beautiful, as is the pattern of the rosewood on the fretboard. I like the 1 3/4" nut width and the neck profile. Ease of Use: Nice action; LR Baggs p.u. works fine. It's a good system that's simple. Quality: Nitro finish well done; seems to be built solid all around. Value: The 'Blem' model is definitely worth it; I saved about $900. Yet I don't know if I would pay $3100 for this, even though it's a nice guitar to play. Manufacturer Support: Have not dealt with them; this 'Blemished' model is not covered under warranty so I won't have much contact I don't think. The Wow Factor: It's got the Gibson sound and the Gibson 'bling' to boot. The Honeyburst color is a bit different, but I'm warming up to it with it's subtle hues. But the sound is key---and with this one(and Gibsons don't all sound great) is a 'keeper'. I wish the pick guard was actually etched and painted like the old ones were, but it's probably a cost factor to be had on only the higher priced models now. Overall: This was purchased as a 'Blemished' Model…but I could not find anything wrong with it when it arrived. My only thought was that the color is more 'Honeyburst' than 'Heritage Cherry Sunburst'….the previous buyer might not have liked the Honeyburst and returned it. Mine at least is not a Heritage Cherry Sunburst color like the ones on the zzounds website. I was unsure what I would find when it came, but it was just like new.

"The only family that stayed with me when I was broken,down and out,my beautiful Hummingbird,It kept me alive to see new days." submitted December 28, 2006

Overall
Musical Background: lonely singer since forever,early 60's begining with a pawn shop capital that I won in a pool game.
Music Style: Billy Boye,Georgia
Sound: If you play in a reflective area or record and play back at your ears,my hummingbird sounds like a baby grand in an empty audatorium with just my bare fingers.A set of finger picks hurts my ears on this guiter.The sound is sharp and accurate as it engulfs your being.There is nothing else in the world when it speaks true. Feature: the materiels are all natural and of the highest quality obtainable. Ease of Use: For me,and I am of medium stature,it took some time finding a seat on this saddle,and it is a mount that needs my attention every day,or it will leave me.Without commitment,it doesent' work,butif I am true to her and play no other,the music is the best of my capability. Quality: Flawless! on the road? how are you on the road? Value: The extra that one pays for a premium American product is soon forgotten with the pleasures and pride given back with each use.However the money wasted on an inferior foreign nockoff is an open wound that will always be remembered! Manufacturer Support: I have not had the pleasure for they did it right the first time. The Wow Factor: It is a perfect balance of design and craftmanship,with only the artist missing.Sex has nothing to do with it,here we have a {Best Friend}This is something given away or passed down,not resold! Overall: See above.
33 of 38 people (86.84%) found this review helpful. Did you?

"Gibson Hummingbird: A classic from Gibson Montana " submitted August 31, 2014

By Gary B in Seattle, WA
Musical Background: coffeehouse musician
Music Style: folk, folk/rock, contemporary
Sound: Sound is not boomy but balanced; the 'highs' are distinct and the lows measured but there in a good way. Sounds good thru an acoustic amp or unplugged. It's not a 'Cannon' but it's not meant to be, and that's totally OK. Feature: It's got an LR Baggs PU system that sounds great. I like the fretboard inlays, color of the Rosewood fretboard and the 'burst' which only Gibson can do well in my book. I like the feel of the neck and the 1 3/4" nut width. Ease of Use: Action was good right out of the case. Plays easily. Quality: It's made well…Gibson has come a long way to keep their quality consistent. Should last a lifetime with proper care in a correct humidified environment. Value: It's kind of pricey but as a blem I saved about $900, which I thought was a great option from paying retail. Manufacturer Support: this is a 'blem' model so the warranty will not apply. I've got a good Luthier so I'm not worried. The Wow Factor: It's got the 'Bling' in classic looks and the sound to support it! Overall: Got this as a Blemished Model. Looked it over very closely and could not find anything wrong with it other than some surface marks on the bottom edge that polished out easily.

"2014 Hummingbird" submitted July 10, 2014

By Joseph Mizzi in Tonopah, NV
Overall
Musical Background: many years,self taught,but just a novice.Acoustic,and electric
Music Style: all kinds
Overall: Just got my Hummingbird today, and I am very happy with it.Saved $800 by getting the Blemished version, and can not find anything wrong on this guitar, maybe someone just returned it. Action is a little high as others have stated. Came with all paperwork, extra strings, key fob and pick. Did not give 5 stars for support because I haven't had to use it on any of my 3 Gibsons.

"Gibson Humming Bird Guitar" submitted November 12, 2012

Music Style: country, bluegrass,
Overall: Sounded great right out of the case. Set up was right on. Easy to play all the way up the neck. Plugged into amp and the tone never changed sounded clean and clear. Could not be happier with my pick.

"Sweetest Guitar that I ever had the opportunity to play" submitted October 27, 2012

By Richard S in Cranston, RI
Overall
Musical Background: Since age 6 Piano 5 years classical training, Guitar since and Piano
Music Style: Finger Picking & Flat Picking some allot of Paul Simon type Eagles, trying to label it but can't. Had a Hummingbird from when
Overall: I taught myself to play the guitar after 5 or 6 years of classical piano lessons and I had friends playing so I had an interest, but also had the talent to be able to transfer my musical skills from the keyboard to the neck and frets. I played all through the years and even when in college in Albuquerque, NM and working my way as a Bartender/Waiter in a big Steakhouse, I started up a Monday Late Night HAPPY HOUR with drink specials and local entertainment. When we couldn't book a Name Act, I would rent sound equipment and Sing & Play myself. I was always well received, but I always thought it was as much the way that Gibson Hummingbird looked and sounded as well as me that they liked.

"Gibson Hummingbird" submitted December 17, 2013

By Charlie Sweat in Jacksonville, FL
Musical Background: Guitar & Harmonica
Music Style: Blues
Overall: I am very pleased with my purchase from Zzsounds.com. The support staff was very helpful, my guitar came in on time and it was packed very well to prevent damage.

"Consider This" submitted January 26, 2008

Music Style: Rock, Country, Bluegrass
Sound: Great sweet sound, this guitar is not designed to be loud and boomy great to go along with any style of music. The hummingbird sounds great either alone or plugged in i can't get enough. Feature: A beautiful sounding acoustic with a built in pickup that isn't visible from the outside. Comes with and excellent hardshell case. Ease of Use: This guitar is great for strumming along to any song and has the ability to play any style of music, however it is not taylored to any specific style and will not overpower the human voice. Action is good i exprimented with lowering the action but ended up setting it back to factory standards. Quality: I will own this guitar forever because i know it will outlast me beautifully put together all the pices fit together so smoothe and the entire instrument appears seemless. Go Gibson! Value: this guitar is beautiful sounds good and is somewhat of a legend however it is pricey. Manufacturer Support: I have not had any issues with this guitar so i cannot adequately answer. I gave support a ten because i dont know and innoscent until proven guilty. The Wow Factor: I love it, i wanted it and i bought it. it really is a stunning instrument the pictures on the web don't do it justice. The finish on all Gibson's is wonderful i wouldn't want it any other way. Overall: Don't get me wrong i love this guitar however if you are into bluegrass (and that's it) it may not be what you are looking for this guitar has a wonderful sweet balanced tone like i sad that is capable for any style i say go for it you wont be dissapointed.

"Go elsewhere" submitted March 29, 2006

By a customer from verizon.net
Music Style: blues
Sound: I own a 1967 Hummingbird and can honestly say that the new ones cannot compare. My vintage bird has tones that knock the socks off the new ones. Harmonically the vintage is superior. The new ones are hollow sounding, with less sustain and less bass response, making it sound too bright or tinny. The neck, however, is still very nice. Feature: The pick guard, which is supposed to be the visual marquis of this guitar, wore of almost instantly. Ease of Use: Like I said, it can't compare to the older ones made in Kalamazoo. Quality: Compared to other guitars of the same price range, I would go for a Martin or a Larivee. Value: Not worth it. Manufacturer Support: When I asked about the pick guard wearing off so fast, they said that's the way it is. The Wow Factor: Keep it. Overall: I am not satisfied.

Gibson Hummingbird Guitar Customer Review submitted March 2, 2010

Musical Background: all the above
Music Style: mostly gospel, bluegrass, classic rock
Sound: The sound is unparalleled, but it's not as loud as a Martin. Feature: It's a guitar. It's got six strings, a neck, and a hole. Every guitar I've ever played has these, so I can't really say a Hummingbird is any better than any other. Ease of Use: It is indeed easy to play. Quality: The reason I wound up on this site is because I'm hunting a good repairman. The bridge is slowly, but surely coming loose. I don't really blame Gibson, though. I bought this guitar in a pawn shop and it was easy to see it had been abused, but that was 30 years ago. It sounded until about a year ago when I noticed I was having to continually tune it, then I began to notice the bridge coming up. Value: Hard to say if it's really worth two or three thousand. I have a four hundred dollar Tex-Mex Strat that I'll keep ahead of my Hummingbird, my two Martins, and my Les Paul. Manufacturer Support: As of yet I have not found the support I'd hoped I would. The Wow Factor: Definitely a beautiful guitar. Overall: I give only a nine overall because of it's volume. My Martins don't have that melt-in-your-mouth sound, but they have plenty of volume.

When you call, mention priority code 170R-TL74. Llame Gratis en Español: 800-460-7976