When you call, mention priority code 1579-TM00

Rating and Reviews: Gibson SG Special Faded

The Gibson SG Special Faded offers the raw Gibson experience. With a stripped-down finishing process and classic neck profile, the SG Special Faded shreds.

"Amazing guitar, extremely versatile." submitted January 23, 2011

Overall
Sound: I have always been a tone freak and could never get what I wanted guitars. Once I picked this thing up I knew it was what I was looking for. I went into guitar center to try out tue epiphone g400, and played it and it was alright, but then one of the workers mentioned this and there was an amazing difference. Ive never had a problem getting the tone I want with this guitar. It is extremely versitile and Ive never felt the need to look for another guitar. Feature: I feel like this guitar is made out of quality parts and wood. Ive always heen tired of the bad materials used with other guitars and wanted to upgrade to the big guns. And this did the trick. Ease of Use: It took me a while to figure out exactly how low I liked the action, but once I found it I feel like the instrument becomes a part of me when I play. I dont see how you could not like it. It is very easy to adjust the action and doesnt take much getting used to before you like you know what your doing. Quality: This guitar feels very solid and like it will last for years. I plan on keeping it for a very long time and Im not worried about outliving it. I love the finish, except sometimes when the light hits it at a certain angle, but usually it looks great. Value: Deffinately worth the price and would buy it again if it got lost or stolen. Manufacturer Support: Well Ive never had any experience with gibson, but the zzounds staff seem amazing and were always very helpful. The Wow Factor: I love it!! This guitar looks great and always gets comments from people after they see it. I personally think it looks better than the sg standard just because it seems darker and more......vintage I guess, thats the best way I can think of describing it. Overall: I absolutely love this guitar, theres nothing I can think if that I dont like about it except maybe the fact that it dents and scratches pretty easily. But if your careful you should really have a problem. I dont think I will ever replace it unless it gets stolen, but it does everything Ive wanted it too so far.

"If you've wanted an SG, get this...NOW." submitted February 1, 2008

Musical Background: Active Musician since 1964
Music Style: Jazz
Sound: How do two humbuckers sound? Like a Gibson. This guitar sounds as good as any other Gibson I have played or heard. I do notice the pickups being any "hotter" because of the lack of covers. I play Fusion - loud jazz. This guitar is more versatile than my ES 345 TD, varitone and all. I play though a Fender amp and a Marshall. They both compliment the humbuckers beautifully. Feature: Tuners are the green keys and I love them. Both LPs and my ES have them. The only disadvantage to the faded finish is that you can plainly see the one piece that runs from the neck down to the strap button instead of being blended into the two side pieces. Frets are large, well finished, but very large. Ease of Use: The neck is amazingly fast - I don't think I want another nitrocellulose neck again. And I find myself constantly going past the last fret - access is that easy. Rolloff on the tone controls is fairly linear. Weight distribution is fine - the neck is not too heavy for the body. Learning curve? Sure - playing the guitar is nothing BUT a huge learning curve ;) Very easy to get started on this guitar. Quality: Depends on how picky you are. The action was very high out of the box. The bridge pickup was set just as high. After lowering both the guitar was set. No need for anyone to setup the instrument. Intonation was perfect as was fretting. Finish? It is smoothed and pore filled mahogany. I worry less about this guitar than any of my others. It is robustly made - made for playing. This will last as long if not longer than any of my others including the oldest being the 1969 ES 345. Value: I paid $579 shipping included. Value? A Gibson for under $600 and it's not a crappy import? I am loathe to give anything a "10" but this guitar is very close. Manufacturer Support: No opinion yet. The Wow Factor: Ever since Woodstock when I saw the Dead, the Who and Santana all sporting SGs, I knew I had to have one. Overall: I have nothing but high praise for this guitar. I thought I would be disappointed with the "finish." I am not. I heard "stories" about frets not being dressed properly or strap buttons being less than average, or tuners not holding pitch. None of that was true.
36 of 38 people (94.74%) found this review helpful. Did you?

"The whole experience with zZounds was amazing. Quick, afordable, packaged perfectly, 4 pmt plan to fit my budget, when others tu" submitted March 13, 2011

Musical Background: Active
Music Style: Hard Rock
Sound: First i'd like to say, thanks to zZounds. Then on behalf of gibson sg, it's the sound i remember from the 70's. Rough, tough and the best of quality sound. I own a fender strat, a fender strot and a PRS. Seriously, i can't put my gibson down. I enjoy your 4 pmt plan and looking forward to buying a vox, when i comlete my gibon pmt. Again, the best. Ron disabled veteran. Feature: No, this has all i need. Ease of Use: The gibson sg has the deep rich sound, can't go wrong. Also, depending on your amp, which adds to the flavor of the gibson sg. Quality: Excellent, the guitar in in mint a+ condition. This gibson sg will last as long as you take good care of it. Don't worry, I have professional friends who still play their gibson sg's from the 70's. This should tell everyone something about the quality of this sg. Value: The price, can't go wrong. And with zZounds 4 pmt plan, what more could you ask. Manufacturer Support: Gibson backs all of their products, and as always, satisifaction guaraneed. The Wow Factor: It's a masterpiece, what can i say. Overall: Until i die or can't play anymore. Serious, at 56 yrs old and many medical conditions, I pick up my gibson sg, and i go into a great space of my own. This is the truth. I like everything about this guitar, and i thank you guys at zZounds for your 4 payment plan, which made it possible for me to get it. Now i cant wait til i'm able to get my vox amp. No need to go anywhere else.

"BEST VALUE IN A GENUINE GIBSON" submitted January 31, 2012

By Christopher B in wilmington, NC
Music Style: Rock and acoustic
Overall: If there is one thing Gibson does for the rock world that is truly wonderful, it's this SG. For less than $700 you get the sound, the look, the feel, the presence of an honest-to-god piece of rock history...So what if GIBSON is screened on the headstock instead of set with mother-of-pearl? Or the inlays are dots and not traps? You still get the rosewood fingerboard, set mahogany neck, beveled, iconic SG shape and trust me there is NOTHING faded about the faded finishes, they are gorgeous and plenty shiny enough. Keep in mind you are getting $400 worth of GIBSON USA pickups in this sled. Does it really pay to buy a $300 Epi and swap pups? I like Epis, I really do. But I love Gibsons! That said, they have been putting out alot of questionable low-end stuff lately, like $500 juniors in assorted shapes with just one pickup and no tone knob. Avoid those worthless toys and go for THIS! };=D

"Great value for a genuine Gibson." submitted January 26, 2008

Music Style: Rock, country, jazz
Sound: Sounds like a Gibson should--fat, with more treble edge than a Les Paul. Surprisingly resonant. Really exceptional for this price point. Picups are just right for me. Turn down for cleaner styles, turn up for rock. Takes pedals well. Feature: Just basic Gibson. Familiar layout that does what you want it to do. Nothing fancy from the factory but customizing is easy and fun if you have the dough. Ease of Use: Again, what could be easier than two pickups, a three way switch, volume and tones for each pickup? Quality: I bought mine used but not used much. I've had a lot of expereince with Gibson products through the years and I think they still make good guitars. I had to set it up but I do that with all guitars. Kluson deluxes are now Sperzel locking tuners. Value: In today's dollars this is an outstanding value. I like the worn satin finish. I have brown. Manufacturer Support: I've never had to deal directly with the company but I imagine they would stand behind an obvious defect. The Wow Factor: Looks are in the eye of the beholder. The SG is a classic shape, copied by many. It enables high register playing and is lightweight unlike a Paul. Overall: It's a keeper.
33 of 36 people (91.67%) found this review helpful. Did you?

"Best Guitar For Your Money!" submitted December 26, 2009

Music Style: Hard Rock, Punk Rock, Heavy Metal, Alternative Metal
Sound: I love the sound of this guitar, its real nice and very full of treble, perfect for heavy metal! Most people would consider it a bit too twangy, but if your ok with that, then no problem. Although the sound isn't very "full", it is very good, and if you want a full sound, switch to the bridge pickup, it will increase the fullness, but keep that same twangy sound. Feature: I gave this a 9 because it includes a Gig Bag. I understand this isn't a very expensive guitar, but its a Gibson, and deserves a hardcase. Other than that, the features are perfect, everything is very efficient, and works perfectly with the guitar. The pickups look doesnt bother me at all, but might bother some people. Ease of Use: It doesnt take a pro to know that this guitar is very accesible, even a begginner could use this. 2 Volumes, and 2 Tone knobs, all it takes. and the 3 way pickup selector is very easy to use, only 3 settings. The input in on the front of the guitar, so you know exactly where to put your cable. Overall, a very easily used guitar! Quality: This guitar has great quality, but some might argue that its finish isn't very strong, which it isn't. It will ding if hit hard on a surface, and you can see the lines where it was put together, but it stands very well. The sound quality is just as described above. Value: $700 for a GIBSON! What more to say? You would normally have to pay $1000 or more for this type of guitar! Manufacturer Support: I havent had any problems with this guitar, and havent needed any support, but im sure id get the support i need if i needed it. The Wow Factor: the "Satin" finish is very attractive, and will surely get you noticed! Overall: Overall: best guitar for your money!

"Like an old pair of comfortable jeans" submitted January 10, 2013

By Michael Smith in Greenwood, DE
Musical Background: Jamming with buddies in the garage for over 20 years
Music Style: Stoner rock! And blues.
Sound: I thought the pickups were a little bland and generic sounding, so I swapped them out for a set of Duncans that were more suited to my tastes. But overall, it sounds great and is very versatile. With a SH-6 in the bridge, I can get everything from a slightly crunchy overdrive to crushing high gain. With a jazz pickup in the neck, it's very warm and crystal clean, and still sounds great with a little dirt. Feature: It comes with one of the worst gig bags I've ever seen. But it says Gibson on it, so I guess that's something. It now sits in the pile of all my other unused gig bags. Ease of Use: Most playable guitar I've ever owned. Very low action, perfect frets. I used to think people that sanded the finish off their necks were crazy, but this being the third guitar I've had with an unfinished neck, I now understand. Quality: Flawless. And it smells fantastic! Value: This guitar is meat and potatoes. Take away the pretty finish, fancy inlays and logo, and neck binding, and you get a great playing and sounding guitar for about half the price. I'll take that over a pretty guitar that sounds and plays like crap any day. Manufacturer Support: Have never dealt with Gibson. The Wow Factor: None of my buddies said wow when I opened the guitar case. But they did after I plugged it in and handed it to them. Overall: This is the 23rd guitar I've bought since I started playing 22 years ago, and it's the first one that on the first time I played it, I felt like it made me play better. It's like it was custom made to fit my hands.

"Great guitar" submitted August 5, 2008

By a customer from pacbell.net
Music Style: mostly rock
Sound: This Guitar sounds great. Only complaint is the 490t in the bridge seems a bit thin and "tingy". They should have included a 498t, the same bridge pick up found the "standard". The price of the 498t bought off the shelf is only like $20.00 or so more than the 490t. Feature: The only included accessorie was the gig bag. It's pretty nice as far as gig bags go but for the price I think they could've thrown in a decent case. I only rated it 5 because of the gig bag, I don't know what other "features" people expect to get when buying a guitar. It lacks a bound neck, trapazoid position inlays and nice headstock inlay, but thats kind of expected for the price. The fancier inlay work, prettier finish and a 498t in the bridge is just about all that seperates the faded from the standard, which costs about twice as much. Ease of Use: I love the way this guitar feels, your hand glides over the satin finish rather than tacking to it. The knobs and switches are pretty obvious how to use and are in the right spots. This guitar is so light! It really is a joy to play. Quality: Mine is fantastic. Frets are beautiful, well trimmed and groomed. The tuners are great. Hardware was exceptional. The electronics are perfect, no noise switching pick up position. I have to agree with others about the looks of the pick-ups, if this were my first guitar I would think they were junk based on the looks. The tape doesn't look good on close inspection but I understand that this is not a $1700.00 guitar and can live with that. covers can be bought for $15 or so if you can't live with the look. The finish was smooth and even, no runs, pooling, bubbles or debris in it. The neck has a few rough spots that are in the hard to sand areas, which I think is typical and usually masked by thicker finishes. Someone mentioned it dings easily, well thats not so much a quality issue, it's the nature of the wood and with such a thin finish on it, there really is no protection for the wood. So expect dings if your careless. I would have given this product a 10 in quality had the pick ups been cleaned up better. Value: I'm giving this a 7, had it come with a hard case and better bridge pick up, despite how ugly it might be, I would have rated it a 10. It's definately worth the price if your like me and just have to have a real Gibson SG. Manufacturer Support: I cannot answer this question. Have had zero issues with the guitar and hence no need to contact customer support. The Wow Factor: It's a Gibson SG! The worn "satin" finish gives it alot of character and to actually feel the wood grain, in my opinion, makes it even better. Honestly if I could get this finish with the same bound neck and inlays of a standard, throw on some chrome pick up covers and it would be a perfect 10. Overall: I love this guitar, have owned it for 3 years and it already has sentimental value. I would and will probably end up buying another or more guitars but it would only be because I love guitars. I would only replace it if it were broken in such a way that it couldn't be fixed.

"Great guitar. I love it." submitted December 28, 2010

Musical Background: Music Lover
Music Style: Any and All
Sound: Great qulaity sound. Feature: A hard case would have been a nice addition. Quality: I read some reviews on this guitar. Unlike some of the ones I read about, my guitar did not have a sticky or tacky feel to the finish. It was perfect. I know I'll be happy for years. Value: So far, this is the best buy that I've made on a guitar. The Wow Factor: It has the typical Gibson SG look and feel to it. Personally, I like the finish better than the painted version. I can't wait for it to wear in all the right places. Overall: This guitar will be a love in my life for a very long time.

"A great value for a classic!!" submitted March 27, 2010

Overall
Musical Background: Hobbyist (for now)
Music Style: Rock, Punk, Alternative
Sound: I love the sound of this thing especially the neck pickup. Value: Great price for a classic guitar. This plays almost as nicely and I think it lookes better (besides the neck) than the sg standard and its only half the price. The Wow Factor: This thing looks freakin awesome. The pictures don't even get close to doing it halfway justice of what it really looks like. Overall: This is an amazing guitar at an amazing price, I am planning on playing it for the rest of my life.

"Great instrument for the money" submitted January 5, 2012

Musical Background: 40 years on and off Hobbyist
Sound: I traded a Strat + for the SG. Although the Strat was a more expensive guitar, I love the sound and feel of this one better. Feature: All the basic features of a regular SG. I like the finish and I can live with dot inlays. Ease of Use: This is an easy guitar to play and set up. Quality: Top notch quality, just like a higher priced Gibson instrument. Value: For the price of a new one, the value is excellent. Manufacturer Support: Never called Gibson or ZZounds. Everything was good upon delivery. The Wow Factor: I've wanted a Gibson SG for a long while, and I love mine. Overall: This is a keeper guitar. My very first electric was a Gibson Melody Maker which looked like a scaled down SG and I liked that one as well.

"Lots of Guitar for little cash" submitted October 30, 2007

Musical Background: basement legend
Music Style: classic rock
Sound: The sound is what you'd expect from a full bodied Gibson guitar with humbuckers. Don't go overboard on the distortion, and you'll be very pleased with it's overall tone and voice. I also own a Epi LP standard and a PRS custom se. I find it hard to tell them apart as all 3 of them sound very similar. Feature: Not much flair to this guitar at all. In fact it looks kind of boring compared to all the quilted maple top guitars available today. I will say this though. You just can not beat Gibson's tune-o-matic bridge for ease of operation. String changes and setting the intonation are very easy. Ease of Use: see above Quality: Mine was finished really very nicely. All the frets were done superbly. No file marks or sharp edges. The inlays on the fret board were also done very nicely. I would have to say though that Gibson should do a better job of setting up its guitars before the get shipped. I was a little dissapointed mine was'nt set up that well when i got it. Value: Less than a thousand bucks for a Gibson? are you kidding? This 1 - 10 scale should have an 11 on it just for this guitar. Manufacturer Support: Not yet needed, but Gibson does have a really cool web site. The Wow Factor: I never have been a big fan of SG's (call it the AC/DC stigma)but for this kind of money, you could do alot worse. Overall: I have owned several imported guitars. None of them have been as nice as this Gibson. No flaking paint. No noisy electronics. No sharp edges on the frets or loose fitting parts. I do wish they would take the price of the gig bag (dust cover?) out of the guitar. I could do with out it. If you have a budget of about $600.00 and you want a really nice, American built guitar, You really should consider one of these. I would guess in the long run that this guitar would hold its value better than any Korean built import. How many of you spent 5 to 6 hundred on an Imported guitar then try and trade it in within a year and find out its worth $150.00? I dont think this would happen with this guitar

"Great buy, so get one before they raise the prices!!" submitted November 2, 2007

Overall
Musical Background: Intermidiate, possibly in a band.
Music Style: Early metal, all types of rock, and blues.
Sound: This guitar sounds really good for the price. My friend and future bandmate owns one. I played it through my Marshall mgmszw, and it sounds great. The pickups are really ugly though. I would change them as soon as possible if I purchased this guitar. Feature: This guitar is pretty straight forward in features. I like the simplicity, and the seperate volume and tone knobs for each pickup give you a very versatile guitar. The pickups are not very good however. Ease of Use: Very easy to use and play. The faded finish gives you a completely non-stick neck (if you know what I mean). The action on his guitar was set perfectly, and it was easy to do tapping on. The tuners look and work great. String changes couldn't be any easier with the TOM (tune-o-matic) bridge. Quality: As expected from a high-quality manufacturer like Gibson, everything works and feels great. The frets were filed down perfectly. The faded finish is absolutely amazing. Value: I don't quite see how they manage to sell these things so cheap.. I think that people would easily pay alot more for this wonderful instrument. In my opinion, it is one of the better buys out there. Manufacturer Support: wouldn't know, I don't own it.. I suppose Gibson has great service though. The Wow Factor: I gave this an eight, simply because of the poor presentation of the pickups. Everything else looks top notch. I also wish it had the fretboard and headstock inlays, but it doesn't matter that much. Pickups are awful looking though. Overall: It's a great buy, and looks great. I would definitely change the pickups though, so expect to pay more.. Plays like a dream, and sounds good too. Not a total metal machine despite popular belief. Haas a great clean tone, and the blues tone is good too. All around wonderful.

"A Super Instrument" submitted February 6, 2007

Musical Background: Professional Musician/Guitarist
Music Style: Studio Player/Jazz
Sound: The stock pickups are very good. I own an Gibson SG manufactured during the early 1970's. The tone is very good on a number of older Fender, Marshall, and Mesa-Boogie amplifiers. The clean sound cuts very well with good mid-range and the distortion sounds with the pickups are quite good. Virtually no shielding problems, I am very pleased with the performance. Feature: This guitar is true to the SG heritage, you can expect the ergonomics of volume, tone controls, and pickup selector switch to be in the SG tradition. It seems that some people didn't like the finish. Personally, I like the look very much, as advertised it looks aged. I have received a number of compliments on the looks of the guitar. Ease of Use: The neck is a little thicker, but this isn't terribly usual. The guitar come standard with 10's. I prefer 9's for the kind of music that I perform with this instrument. Gibson states that they recommend 10's in their manual. After a professional set up with 9's, this instrument has performed admirably and is much easier to play and string bend. Quality: Very good. Value: For the money, this is a great guitar hailing back the traditional SG's. Manufacturer Support: Excellent as always. The Wow Factor: The older look makes this instrument a beauty. Overall: This instrument exceeded my expectations.

"Classic Cool - Hot Guitar" submitted November 18, 2007

Musical Background: Active Musician - Session Recording Guitarist
Music Style: Pop - Fusion
Sound: The guitar sounds very harmonic when it's not plugged in; bright rolling harmonics. Nice. Plug it in and you have a very edgy and organic sounding guitar. Dynamics from your right hand really come through. Great response to your technique. Feature: Hand rolled neck is baseball bat-like on mine. Very easy to play. The Gibson humbuckers sound great. I've owned three Les Pauls and I prefer this simple guitar. Kluson tuners and the same hardware that you would find on a $2000 Gibson. Ease of Use: Two humbuckers and the tradition Les Paul control layout. Simple. Quality: The tape that surrounds my pickup coils is very uneven and crooked which is proof that the part are hand made. Its the only potential QC issue. The real nitro finish looks great. Value: Same pickups and hardware as a $2000 guitar - made is USA. Fantastic value. Manufacturer Support: On line warranty registration with instant confirmation. Several approved repair shops in Milwaukee. The Wow Factor: I'm middle aged...I probably dig the look more than a younger player. Classic cool. I like it. Overall: I won't sell it. It's staying in the wood pile. The Les Paul faded guitars are no longer made. I'm keeping my faded Gibson.

"great beginners guitar, and the tape doesnt fall off!" submitted March 2, 2008

By a customer from hotmail.co.uk
Music Style: thrash metal
Sound: this guitar is built for classic rock, there is no point buying it for anything else, you probably wont like it if you dont play classic rock, if you do then its a great guitar Feature: could have done with the neck being way more smooth, also could have done with beter strap holders Ease of Use: its a guitar without a floyd rose or any other type of tremolo, and is therefore easy to restring, you need to set it up to your personal taste when you buy it, but all in all pretty easy to use, but the sound can be restrictive... Quality: ive owned this guitar for 1 1/2 years, it wont break, i know, ive played 10 gigs with it, the finish ages very fast, but that adds to the look, as far as the tape around the pickups go i dont know what these people are talking about, it hasnt came off mine and shows no signs of coming off, and my friend has the exact same guitar and the tape hasnt came off his! i think it depends wether or not you get a good one of these, i have a good one, but clearly there are some bad ones out there, so be carefull Value: not alot of guitar, but it just wont break! if you want a guitar that will last you buy a gibson Manufacturer Support: havnt had to deal with gibson, probably never will, i presume they would be pretty good though The Wow Factor: its an sg, they are a generally sexy guitar Overall: not alot of guitar, but great value as it lasts, also its a gibson so in like 20 years it will probably start to go up in value

"Better than a Standard?" submitted March 21, 2010

Overall
Musical Background: Playing for 15 years.
Music Style: punk
Sound: Rating this a 10 - The Best does not mean it's the greatest sounding guitar I've ever heard, that would have to go to old Les Pauls. . .but out of all guitars I've ever plays, this sounds the best to my ears. Feature: You can get so many different tones out of this guitar that it will fit any style you play. Dirty blues to metal to classical, do it all. Ease of Use: Plug in and play. This guitar is so great that it makes my extremely crappy 'at-home-crud-amp' sound good, with no pedals mind you. Quality: I honestly love the way this guitar is built, it's less a show piece and more something that you feel you can pick up and put down everywhere. You won't get fingerprints all over it that you constantly feel you need to clean off, because a.) it's a cheaper guitar, leaving you more time to play and less time rubbing your fretboard with q-tips. and b.) because fingerprints won't show up on the finish, it's not glossy. . .I personally can't wait for the paint to start fading years from now, it will only make me want to play it harder. I could have used the nicer 'volume' and 'tone' knobs, but these can be bought. I switched out the pickups, bought a truss rod cover that says SG, changed the pick guard, volume & tone knobs. . .and I want to sleep with my guitar. I'm usually a flipper, meaning I'm always looking for the next thing, I'm done, this is my guitar for life. Until I go or it goes, it will be in my hands. Value: If I'm the last man on Earth, I won't care, because I have this guitar. It's so comfortable in my grip, it's really priceless to me. Manufacturer Support: Never had to contact. Gibson means QUALITY, get it? The Wow Factor: I have the faded brown, switched everything for creme colors, put in a couple new pickups with chrome covers. I want to marry it. Overall: Until it's dust, it's so good to go. It's an '04 and it's still perfect except for the little dings that just give it its own look.

"AWESOME!!!!~111eleventyone!!!!1" submitted November 2, 2008

By a customer from fdsfasfaf.cfd
Music Style: Rock, metal, 80`s,
Sound: This guitar is AWESOME!!!! if you want the best sound ever(other than hte angus young custome SG) you will get it Feature: the 4 knobs got kind of annoying after a while but i got used to it Ease of Use: EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAASSSSSSSSSSSSSSSYYYYYYYYY!!! Quality: i only had mine for a year(the neck snapped)im looking to get a new one(a neck not a new guitar) thank god for bolt-on necks Value: great price for such an awesome axe Manufacturer Support: actually ive never called them Overall: i command you to buy it!.

"Kickass and Rock on!" submitted January 14, 2008

Musical Background: Been playing for a few years
Music Style: Basically any kind of rock, From classic Rock to Punk to Metal I play it all.
Sound: It has all around great sound, great for the price anyway. The pickups are pretty versatile you shouldnt be dissapointed. Feature: Very good, what you would expect from a gibson at this price range. I personally like the tune o matic bridge some may disagree but I love it. And the chrome looks pretty sick. The only thing that would make it better would be trapezoid inlays, but oh well. Ease of Use: Very nice. I love the 50's rounded neck makes it very easy and comfortable to play. It also keeps a tune way longer than my Fender. Quality: Its a Gibson... what more can you ask for. Value: Best deal you can get for the price by far, Its good for any skill level from beginners to pros. I'm sure many people would pay more for this than its selling for. Manufacturer Support: Havent needed it. but its Gibson so I'm sure its great. The Wow Factor: Everyone tells me I have the sexiest guitar lol. I've always loved the look of the SG. Its one of the most badass looking guitars ever. Overall: One of the best guitars out there, especially for the price. Looks, feels, and plays great. What you would expect from a Gibson. Defiantly a must have.

"This is the greates guitar that I have ever played." submitted June 19, 2004

Music Style: hard rock
Sound: This is a mean sounding guitar. It's no wonder greats like Angus Young and Tony Iommi play this guitar. Before I bought this guitar, i was playing a Jackson and I feel this guitar has improved my playing ability alot. Feature: Definantly lighter than many of the guitars I have played. The sound is simply phonominal. This isn't the flashiest guitar but the hard finish looks great. The wood is very good and sturdy. I wouldnt change anything about this guitar Quality: This is a very well made guitar and when you buy a Gibson you know that you are getting good quality no matter what it is. Personally I like the faded look better than the glossy finished look. It gives it a harder appearance. This guitar is very dependable. Value: I think this is an awesome value for this product. Its the same amazing sound without the things that really up the price such as the gloss finish or the fancy inlays. Definantly a great buy. Manufacturer Support: Gibson is definantly a company who I trust. They are available and reliable. So far I haven't needed to use my lifetime warranty yet but if I ever need to its there. The Wow Factor: The design of this guitar is awesome and it looks amazing. The color of both the faded and standard Gibson SGs are awesome. Overall: I will use this guitar for at least the next 20 years. Even when I buy new guitars I will keep this one for my students and children when I start teaching.

"a beautiful axe" submitted July 27, 2006

Music Style: alternative and rock
Sound: the sound of this axe is the best tipically of an gibson sg this guitars offers a rich sound thatmakes it awsome for rock Feature: this product lets you use alot of features including distortion and the rhythim Ease of Use: its the best guitar i have played Quality: this axe since i bought i have been impressed about that i do not have to worry about damage at all Value: its worth every penny Overall: the best guitar i have ever played and i recommend it

"great deal" submitted April 16, 2004

Music Style: screamo
Sound: sound is pretty good, might want to get some seymour duncuns or some better gibson pickups, other than that for as cheap as it is it sounds just fine Quality: dents easily, but you buy a guitar just because it looks good Value: cheapest gibson there is, but some places over charge The Wow Factor: i love the brown faded look so i wanted it as soon as i saw it Overall: i love playing gigs and practicing with it so i probably keep it until i can afford a les paul custom

"Nice guitar" submitted November 30, 2005

Musical Background: Passionate
Music Style: Classic rock, prog
Sound: This is a Gibson so you know that it sounds great. However compared to high end gibsons, it differs a bit. Feature: Great looks... NO FINGER PRINTS! great feature and not much laquer if any. But it could have used trapazoid inlays, looks more gibson-er. Quality: Engineering of this is great and for a proce like that... wow. Manufacturer Support: Haven't needed to call them.

"i believe that the sg is one of the best guitars out there. " submitted August 16, 2006

Overall
Sound: the gibson sg has a relly good sound and i like it. its rellly good for classic rock. Feature: whammy bar Quality: the gibson sg is made very well. its relly smooth. no loose parts Value: yes very good price. Manufacturer Support: very well put together. The Wow Factor: the color of it just makes me want to buy it Overall: really long.

Gibson SG Special Faded Customer Review submitted August 16, 2004

Overall
Sound: the desighn just draws you in but once you play it you fall in love with it Feature: the color

"i have this guitar so i really have the right comments !! ROCK ON" submitted November 4, 2007

Overall
Musical Background: i am a guitarist
Sound: the sound is good but not too good i dont know if it was the amplifier or the gibson that sounded a little crapy in case of metalic tones but with blues tones sounds great !! i own one but my parents give it to me until dicember .. -.- Feature: the features are the ones you need if you want other pikups i sugest it ... i really expected more features but its ok.. Ease of Use: very easy to use i love the wood the only thing i dont like is the back .. it looks kind of simple.. Quality: i love the look its a super clasic look from the sg ..... for the price i imagined more expensive but the sound is not to great Value: the value is worth it !! get it now before they change their minds ! Manufacturer Support: the support was very good with me the offert me instead of a 570 dolar price they lowed it to me for a 525 dolars price i aprishiate it .. The Wow Factor: i have it but if i didnt i would whant it :P Overall: this overall i think it will be satisfied for maybe 14 years or less

"awsome guitar" submitted November 27, 2005

By a customer from certusdev.com
Musical Background: active musican
Music Style: blues rock etc.
Sound: One of the nicest sounding guitars i have played it is beautiful Feature: it has some cool features but i think it could have more. Quality: it is a very well made guitar it looks and sounds great. Value: i think it was a very good deal it is not too expensive and it works great The Wow Factor: It looks so cool when you see it. When i bought it it had just been brought out it was just beautiful. Overall: it is a great guitar and i recomend it to anybody.

"Best Value Period." submitted April 12, 2004

Music Style: Opeth
Sound: I love this guitar. Gibson is a great brand and this is a great product. I play a lot of metal and this guitar sounds incredible through my Randall RG75. For the price, you can't beat this sound. Feature: 2 tone and 2 volume knobs. Mahogany body, although it is suprisingly lightweight. Ebony fingerboard and mine even has the moon inlays which give the guitar a great look. Worn brown finish. Quality: Nothing even compares witht this thing. However, there is electrical tape around the pickups. It hasn't come off or anything and I've had it for a little over 5 months now, but it just looks a little weird. I had to buy strap locks for my strap because every time i put it on, it came right back off. This is because the stupid things are in a horrible location. However, with the straplocks i have no problems at all. At most, it was a $20 fix. Value: For the price and the quality, you can't beat it. I don't think I'll ever buy anything but a Gibson from now on. Manufacturer Support: Never dealt with them. Overall: I wouldn't sell this guitar for anything. I would take a bullet for it and so would my drummer. He loves it too and its not even his!

Gibson SG Special Faded Customer Review submitted April 6, 2006

Overall
Feature: volume knobs, tone knobs and room for 6 strings, what more do you want. again can't fault it. Quality: obviously its stripped down but is that a bad thing. it looks awesome and other people love it. people complained about the black tape around the p-ups making it look cheap and tacky. doesn't seymour duncan use black tape on some of his pick-ups? yes, thats how it all used to be done. this is a full bred gibson. they know what there doing

"Why to buy a Gibson SG Faded" submitted December 19, 2005

Overall
Musical Background: i have played guitar for three years now
Music Style: punk n rock'n roll
Quality: The guitar have nearly no finish at all but thats the thought about it just to make it cooler. I think it's really well made exept for the head wich is a bit boring but still well made. Value: I think it will hold the value. Manufacturer Support: no. The Wow Factor: It's a really cool guitar, almost everyone who saw it have told me it's a really nice guitar and the best thing is that it doesn't look like most guitars. Overall: I think I will have my guitar for as long as I live. It's a really nice guitar to play and it got the "gibson fealing" i think. If I'll buy an other guitar I think I will just supplement my old couse thats what I did when I bought this guitar.

"A masterpiece!" submitted December 13, 2004

Overall
Musical Background: I have been playing for about 3 years on and off.
Music Style: Rock and Metal.
Sound: This guitar sounds so much better with the EMG pickupes I put in it. The standard pickups are a decent, but you can tell that gibson cut alot of their costs through them. Feature: Decent pickups, good sound. Quality: The head stock says gibson, right? Value: Alot of guitar for a less. Manufacturer Support: never had a problem. The Wow Factor: The earlier one's with the moon inlays are way cooler, but it still has some mojo. Overall: It has too a certain degree a bit of a strat like tone, but apart from that it's a great guitar.

"The Guitar Goul ROCK ON" submitted February 25, 2009

Overall
Sound: The sound is very good it sounds even better when worlds best guitar player Angus Young plays it in the AC/DC Band. Feature: The fetures are pretty good theres a few more things it could have. Ease of Use: Its really easey to use Quality: The quality of this guitar is ok Value: The value of this guitar I say would be about $1500 Manufacturer Support: the support is very good it sits in your lap in a comfortabley The Wow Factor: I really wantit Overall: It is awsome and I need one bad and when I get the chance to get one I will.

Gibson SG Special Faded Customer Review submitted December 29, 2007

Overall
Music Style: Rock, Metal, Metalcore, Hardcore, etc.
Sound: The stock pickups arent that great at all, I suggest getting some new ones because the stocks have a very dull sound. Maybe dimarzios? Feature: I'm not going to even go there haha. Ease of Use: The neck on this guitar isnt good at all, definatley not gibson's best. I would find myself sometimes struggling to get the strings to stop twanging every once in awhile also. Quality: This is where i lost it. The parts on this guitar are really cheaply made. For example the pickups look like they are just stuck in a hole and on top of that are wrapped with electric tape, not good at all. Body is very fragile and the slitest little bump will cause indents or even scrtaches. Overall just the feel of the guitar makes it feel like you're playing something very cheap, trust me do not by this guitar if you're looking for something a little nicer. I recommend getting an ibanez or something. Value: This guitars value will decrease over time, it's harder to keep it in shape when it's so fragile and cheaply made. Basically you are paying for the name of the guitar, gibson seems reliable, but this guitar isnt so. Manufacturer Support: Didn't really call them for anything. The Wow Factor: When I first was willing to buy this I got hyped up about it. First time I actually played it though I couldn't help noticing how cheap it felt. It looked good though when I saw it online at first, guess I waqs wrong. Overall: Overall I expected a lot more from this guitar than I actually got. If your a beginner looking for semi-good guitar for a way expensive price go right ahead. But for an experienced guitar player I strongly urge you to spend your money on something better, not this.

"Good guitar, classy finish...timeless design." submitted January 21, 2004

Overall
Music Style: Rock, Jam Band type stuff, Newer Rock..I don't know.
Sound: This guitar has a really hot sound...not hot like EMG 81 hot..but hot enough for me. Its not a thrash guitar, probably not even a Nu-metal guitar....but it is a hell of rock and roll guitar, ala Nickelbacky type stuff. My only real complaint sound wise, is that it can't measure up to the Les Paul low end...doesn't really have the bass response of a LP..but its not supposed too really. I like the neck and bridge pickup and often switch between the two while performing...the neck has a great bluesy growl. Feature: Features are pretty standard..no bells and whistles...but I didn't want them either. Quality: Personally...I like mine alot..I love the cresent inlays, I think they add some character..some of the early Faded Cherry's had the regular inlays..I prefer the cresents. If you don't like thick necks on guitars...then for the love of God, don't buy this one...it does have the thickest neck of anything I have ever played. If your used to a strat, or ESP, or similar..you're going to be really disappointed. Value: For $579, I think it is a great instrument...there are others out there in that price range that are equally as good...I'm happy with it...but I do think the price could be a bit lower..maybe around the $489 mark or so, since it doesn't come with a case....I'd buy it again at the $579 mark too. Manufacturer Support: haven't dealt with them..don't know. The Wow Factor: I think its a damn fine looking instrument..versatile enough for several styles...to me, the guitar doesn't automatically let the audience know what type of music to expect...it could go either way. Overall: I'd buy it again, probably, anyway. Though those new washburn simi-hollow bodied Idol series look pretty good...checked one of those out...not half the guitar of the SG.

"Spend a little more money and dont get this discontinued model" submitted August 26, 2004

By a customer from uiuc.edu
Overall
Sound: Too Mellow, I replaced the humbuckers with burstbuckers. Intination was off when I bought it also. Value: Pretty good buy for the money, hey, its a gibson right. Manufacturer Support: NO probs so... The Wow Factor: Looks cool as hell Overall: Main thing of a guitar is the sound, and I didnt like the mellow tone it provided. But a sweet guitar none the less.

"A MAJOR DISSAPOINTMENT" submitted May 5, 2003

Music Style: Rock/Progressive/Jazz/Blues
Sound: It sounds good very Gibsonish but it so hard to play with its 2 X 4 neck and it looks so cheap that it affects what you can do with it Feature: Horrible Neck, Ugly finnish, Its only redeeming value is that it is soewhat lightweight but that nec is way more than a handfull. Quality: Pickups wraped with electrical tape that comes off the firs week you have it. Horrible set-up out of the box. Very dissapointing Value: I guess you could do worse but I don't know how...I sold mine less than a month after I got it. The 2 best days of owning this guitar are the day you order it and the day you sell it! Manufacturer Support: N/A Don't know and realy don't care. The Wow Factor: Minimal at best, Very forgetable. Overall: I sold mine a little over a month after ordering it. I was very disatisfied with it. I tried for over a month to fall in Love with it but it was too unplayable... Luckily for me it said "Gibson" on the headstock so I lost very little. The only redeming value I can find in this guitar is the resale value of the brand!

"go out and buy one" submitted May 24, 2003

Music Style: punk, altenrative
Sound: it sounds great Feature: i like the gibson pick ups the sound awsome Quality: it sounds amazing and i think if you talk crap about this guitar you have issues Value: its worth more then i payed for it so im happy Manufacturer Support: no problems with it Overall: this guitar is number one for the money

"sweet guitar" submitted August 1, 2004

Overall
Music Style: rock zepp and randy rhoads
Sound: this guitar solos like a beast...its got awesome sustain...with the gain turned down a bit for a more acdc sound...its kicks ass...the clean channel has a very fat tone...great sound all together Quality: HANDMADE Value: wish it was cheaper...dam hand labor Manufacturer Support: GIBSON SAYS IT ALL The Wow Factor: if there was an eleven i would have chose that Overall: this guitar is amazing

Gibson SG Special Faded Customer Review submitted August 4, 2004

By jhotobeano
Overall
Music Style: Hard Punk( Pennywise)
Sound: I own this guitar and it's playabilty is amazing. The 490's give it that old fashion distirted rock sound that we all love. Its is also the lightest solid body Gibson I have ever played. The one downside of the guitar is its finish, but I guess that is what best describes it. Feature: The 490's on this guitar are great, but I believe a 500 burst bucker 2 sounds the best in place of the 490 bridge pick up. Quality: You can bang this guitar around quite a bit and it doesnt do much damage. Very durable. Good price. Value: Good price!!! Manufacturer Support: Gibson is a very trustfull brand name. They garuntee all their stuff if u send in the warranty. Their usually pretty flexible about stuff. The Wow Factor: very classic lookin guitar.(I sleep with mine) Overall: This guitar Fu***** rawks. Good fer punk, ska, Metal, and just about everything. Except for country and little poppy punk music.

"Not a good guitar" submitted October 25, 2011

By a customer from excite.com
Musical Background: guitarist 30 years
Music Style: blues rock jazz
Sound: Terrible guitar, doesnt have the balance and playability of a real Gibson SG or any decent guitar for that matter. Plays poorly, the pickups are harsh and have no sustain. Just an awful guitar and very overpriced, my $75 First Act Strat copy plays and sounds better than this Gibson.

"Went to buy a Gibson, came home with a Fender" submitted February 6, 2008

By Prefer to withhold
Musical Background: hobby
Music Style: blues/rock and toying with some other genres
Sound: The sound is superlative; I have other issues with the guitar. See other comments Feature: The features are just right; it is what it is (as the coach says). Dual volume and tone controls are ideal; plus a three way switch. Ease of Use: Here's where I had a problem. I played a faded cherry SG in the store and the nut had a sharp corner that bothered my palm. I played another faded cherry and it had a similar problem. They had a faded brown SG, which did not have this problem, but I didn't want brown. The salesman then got a new faded cherry SG in a box, and it had a nice rounded nut, but..... the frets stuck out too far and could actually abraid your left hand when you moved it up and down the neck. He had three more new ones in boxes, but I gave up and bought the thin-line tele I've always wanted. Not the same sound as the SG (but I have a Les Paul so that's not critical), and the maple neck on the tele is so sweet, and I have enough electronics to get almost any sound out of it anyway, plus I have an Ibanez "shredding" guitar for making the real heavy sounds. I was surprised and disappointed by this Gibson experience, and I probably won't look at Gibson's again for quite a while. Quality: As noted above, sharp corners on the nut and poorly finished frets do not reflect careful craftmanship. I played a more expensive SG special while in the store, and the frets closer to the body were also sticking out, although the frets near the headstock were ok. Hmmm, is Gibson quality declining?? Value: I thought it was too expensive in the first place - Gibson just raised the price on their faded SGs from $579 to $699, but it was a lot cheaper than an un-faded Gibson; but now with the evident quality issues, I don't think I would pay even $400 for it. I would have to choose my instrument very carefully before making the purchase. Manufacturer Support: Never needed support. I had a SG special which I bought in 1965, believe it or not (I'm getting old), which I played in a rock/blues band, and I never had a lick of trouble with it. Or with anything I owned for that matter, except having to change tubes in my big fender amp fairly often. But that was the nature of tube amps back then. The Wow Factor: Did want it; don't want it anymore. Finding multiple examples with quality issues (small issues, but they effected the playability of the instrument) cured me of Gibson for a while. Overall: Love the sound; have real concerns about quality - would have to find the perfect one on display without any evident wear; and display guitars are often well worn.

"Buy Something Else!!!!" submitted May 20, 2003

By a customer from musician.net
Music Style: All kinds mostly Rock and Roll and Blues
Sound: throw it away and buy something else, just not impressive AT ALL Feature: Neck is WAY too big and bulky...Lurch couldn't play this well Moon inlays look ridiculous and pickups wraped in black tape(wow that'll last) Cheap finish Quality: Horible intonation...Dead spots in Lots of places..Tuners are Horible Value: Take your money and buy something else. Lots of other guitars out there that are twice as good for what this costs. All your buying is a NAME...Names don't make the guitar and THIS is a PERFECT EXAMPLE!!! Manufacturer Support: N/A The Wow Factor: I'd have to be willing to use it for it to have any sex appeal and you couldn"t GIVE me one of these! Overall: Purely sold by Name Brand Recognition and PREVIOUS reputation

"Gibson Sg Well to sum it up for you this guitar rocks it handles good and looks like a devil guitar!!" submitted March 30, 2004

Music Style: Rock Classic and Heavy
Sound: The sound on this guitar sounds so rock, the sound sounds excelent when you play it even if you diddnt relly know what you were doing you could still make it sound good. Feature: This guitar would win the guitar beauty contest if there was on, it just looks like a roc guitar like it was make for only rock the look is stunning Quality: this guitar is one of the most well made guitars i ever seen and played. Value: it is worth every penny. Manufacturer Support: i've neved had a problem with one The Wow Factor: when i first set my eyes on it i knew i wanted it it is had not to want to buy one. Overall: this will last me a long time and i will never sell it

When you call, mention priority code 1579-TM00. Llame Gratis en Español: 800-460-7976