When you call, mention priority code 1ZT-BWG2

Rating and Reviews: Gibson SG '61 Reissue

A reissue of the original SG from 1961, this guitar features a thin body style, the old-school smaller pickguard, nickel hardware and '57 Classic humbuckers.

"Should have bought this guitar 20 Years Ago" submitted January 20, 2016

By beejay jasper in santa barbara, CA
Musical Background: home studio
Music Style: Classic rock n roll and blues
Overall: I receive my new SG reissue in two days from the date I ordered it and am I absolutely blown away by it. The guitar arrived looking better than I hoped with a good basic setup on it. The only problem I encountered was it would not stay in tune, period! I was almost ready to box it up and send it back when I noticed the strings felt really crappy to my touch. I decided to throw on a set of my favorite strings, GHS boomers in 10s and she came alive in my hands. A few turns of the screw drive to adjust the pickup height and she sang like a bird! I would also like to say she has the best acoustic sound I've ever heard from an electric guitar too. The classic pickups absolutely sound great for rock and roll and cover almost all arenas except metal, IMO. Great guitar and I just wish I would have bought her years ago....

"Best production model Gibson out there." submitted February 9, 2010

Music Style: Alternative and blues
Sound: It has the characteristic meaty Gibson sound, but with more bite or edge than a Les Paul or 335. Good balance between the neck and bridge pickups. They sound like different flavors of the same guitar. Cleans up really nicely when you roll the volume back. It comes to life when moderately overdriven. Feature: Two pickups. The control layout is pretty intuitive. This one comes with a stop bar tailpiece. Most of the 60s SGs had a vibrola. They should offer this with a vibrola. It's kind of a reissue of a thing that never was. Ease of Use: This is the best playing guitar I've ever had. It's well under 7 lbs. Complete access to all 22 frets. At first I thought the neck was odd - it's wide and very shallow. I thought it would be hard to get used to or cause hand fatigue. I play 4 hour gigs and this is my main guitar now. It's comfortable to play all night long. Quality: This is the best production line Gibson out there. Some of their quality control is disappointing, but this guitar was perfect. The finish is smooth. The wood grain shows through nicely. It has a thin coat of clear lacquer so if you want to keep it shiny, you'll have to baby the finish a little. I prefer it that way. I think thin finishes make guitars sound better. It comes with Classic '57 pickups. There's no reason to change them out. Perfect match for the guitar. Value: If this isn't Custom Shop quality, it's very very close. It's an excellent value. Manufacturer Support: Gibson has gotten back with me propmtly with any questions I've had. The Wow Factor: Before this I always thought SGs were Les Paul's plain jane little sibling, but no more. I also thought they were a one trick pony, but that's not true either. They look great - a little mysterious and dangerous with the devil horns. Yes, a very sexy instrument. Overall: This is a great guitar, easy to play, inspiring. A clean 1961 will run you $25,000. Buy one of these and pocket the difference. These are that good.
25 of 26 people (96.15%) found this review helpful. Did you?

"Worth Every Penny" submitted February 12, 2016

By Wm. Jasper in Santa Barbara, CA
Musical Background: Home Studio
Music Style: Rock 'n' Roll from Santana to Joe Bonamassa
Overall: This is an absolute Rock n Roll machine, period! The fit and finish on the guitar that arrived at my front door was of a Custom Shop Level. The playability of its neck is just stunning along with the best tone woods I've ever encountered, almost acoustic in nature. The electronics and Pickups were all great but I will confess I changed out the bridge pickup to an old Angus Young custom Seymour Duncan. I also installed nylon saddles which made this guitar sound like what I always hoped and dreamed a guitar would sound like in my hands. This guitar is comparable to a Gibson Les Paul Custom at half the weight and price, IMO!

"Amazing guitar that plays like butter!" submitted May 18, 2016

By Steve R in Tehachapi, CA
Musical Background: 40+ years but still just a novice player! Lol
Music Style: Rock and hard rock mostly. Some metal.
Sound: I play mostly Rock/hard rock and metal. I would not reccomend this guitar for extreme metal though. The pickups sound amazing for just about anything. Bright and clear with a clean channel. Plenty of punch with high gain. Think Judas Priest, AC/DC types. Warm and inviting with the volume rolled back. I've really never heard anything like them. Feature: The basics. Hey it's a 61 reissue! The first SG! Ease of Use: It did need a good setup. The neck was out of adjustment so I decided to just take off all the strings and put a new set on. No problems encounterd during set up. I was able to set the action low without any buzz. Very easy to play and fretting takes very little effort. Quality: Top notch! No issues at all. The folks at the Nashville factory know what they are doing! You can tell the differance in guitars made in the U.S.A. Value: I think it could have been priced a bit lower? It's the same guitar as other SG's really with the exception of the pickgard and the pickups. Not a lot has changed over the years. Manufacturer Support: Not needed yet. Don't think I will because it's made so well! The Wow Factor: A gorgeous guitar. Sexy and curvy! Always loved the SG body style. Overall: This is without a doubt one of the best guitars I've ever played. I will admit that most of the guitars I own are made outside the U.S. With the exception of my Jackson DK1 this guitar is worlds apart. Quality through and through.

"Buy this "for those about to rock"" submitted September 7, 2006

Overall
Sound: The Gibson, has one of the best sounds in my opinion, it sounds great whether your playing in a basement, garage, live, recording, sounds greatno matter what. No matter what style you want to play it is possible. Feature: The knobs on the guitar change the tone beautifully, turn it one notch....BAM.....your at the tone you want. I wish it came with a tremolo(whammy) bar, or a vibrola, or something but without it it is still awesome. Ease of Use: This products ease of use rocks, when i first played it, i went to bend it up 1 1/2 steps, and i bent it up 2, with ease, it was so easy to bend. The playablity of this great, there is no reason to not buy this guitar. Quality: When i first got it, i was skeptical, because it looked so fragil, but once rock with it, its as sturdy as if it were made of metal. Value: It is a little pricey, but once you have it, that is completley out of your mind. Manufacturer Support: When i first bought it i got it in the mail and it had a lot of scratches, but when i said something about it, i was given a temporary replacement, and was shipped another brand new one. The Wow Factor: I mean come on just look at it............did you look.........................see it rocks!!!!!!!!!! Overall: I love this guitar, it is the best thing you'll buy in your life...........well except for a house.

"I was 6 when this vintage '61's namesake was conceived & playin' harp in leisure suits! "Little Johnny & His Mouthharp!"" submitted September 27, 2006

By a customer from bellsouth.net
Musical Background: "semi-retired" session guy w/nearly 35 years experience
Music Style: primarily jazz & blues, but whatever pays the mortgage this month
Sound: Plays like butter & had near-perfect setup right out of the shipping carton. The fit/finish is flawless & all hardware is rock-solid. I run her through a PolyTone, Epi Blues Custom 30 (an AMAZING amp itself), a Fender Blues Jr (my practice/warmup amp), a Kendrick MONSTER & last, but not least an OLD JMF 60 watter. This axe loves 'em all for various & sundry reasons. Feature: She's absolutely true to her vintage roots. Ease of Use: Using an 'elaborate' Billy Gibbons setup (for blues ~and~ jazz): Klotz cable (thanks Gerald W @ Kendrick), Dunlop Ultex .73 & Elixir 'anti-rust' .010s, I've turned 'ease of use' into an art form! Quality: I've used this particular axe "on the road" for a couple of years & she's yet to let me down. As I've written above, out-of-the-box fit/finish was/is remarkable! No fear of it breaking, but I take freakish care of my stuff... Value: Price couldn't be beat. She was a gift (thanks BigBoy & Sher!). Manufacturer Support: ALL emails to Gibson have been answered in < 24 hrs (thanks Elliot!) & calls have been friendly & uber-informative. I tend to 'pimp' them a bit & have yet to receive a curt, pissy response! The Wow Factor: I've snagged more than a pair (or 2) of panties (sorry Tinque!) with those sweet devil horns, but it could be the Klotz &/or the plectrum... Overall: The search was over before it started. I still have more teeth than axes, but the ratio is rapidly approaching 1:1 & @ last count I still had all OEM toopheses.

"The best SG out there" submitted March 30, 2008

By a customer from optonline.net
Music Style: Guns N ROses, Iron Maiden, Metallica, Green Day
Sound: This is one of the best sounding guitars I've ever heard. No SG sounds better than this one. Sounds great with heavy distortion, clean, or in between Feature: Rosewood Fingerboard, 57 classic pick ups, 60's slim taper neck. Ease of Use: The best neck I've ever played. Really couldn't be any easier to play. Quality: I don't even need to answer this question Value: not only the best SG, but also the best SG for the money. Manufacturer Support: don't know? The Wow Factor: SG's look great, but I think this specific model loos a million times better in black. If it was black I'd give a ten, but the black model was discontinued for some reason. Overall: This is the best SG you can buy. If you know you want an SG just get this one. I can't see how anyone can dislike this superb guitar.

"when you want to be heard, noticed and seen choose the best and I promise you the Instrument will outlive you,cause good materia" submitted March 23, 2006

Overall
Music Style: rock, country, what ever the audiance
Sound: I have a 70`s model block inlays,man you can play any sound anyone you like, led zep. blk sabht,beatles everytime I play outside allways get photoed and most of the time asked if I want to sell it,no way I tell them. I olso have a 70`s fender strat but only just to say I have one,for the gibson is tops champ hands down. Quality: I use every week for the past 32 years still original frets and all. Manufacturer Support: yes about 2 years ago I asked Gibson to give me the exact year it came out I gave them serial number and describtion of body and fretboard but I was not given the exact year, they where not sure what year it was. Overall: I wanted a les paul deluxe and I gave the money to a friend going to uk(england)to get me one from there and he came with the SG he said if you don`t like it I take it back next month and change it .I tried it I kept it no regrets when I plugged it in my LANEY 100watts KLIPP,lets rock.

"Gibson sg sexy jam power." submitted January 8, 2006

Overall
Sound: three words: plays,sounds and looks beautiful she is weild. Quality: as all you people know this is a profesional instrument and can be plaied enywhere so don't worry have fun. Value: it is somewhat expensive. but hey... The Wow Factor: well. I guess the less pauls are made with better woods and bindings etc. and thats why their cost is high, but the sg is simple with mean sexy looks. Overall: hopefully is for life. this sg is just an addition to the gam power.

"My SG was called the fretless wonder. (1977)still going strong" submitted January 26, 2006

Overall
Musical Background: Active musician, more or less. I'm getting old.
Music Style: Blues, zeppelin, stones, JJ-cale, You name it. I'm a good mc.laughlin-lisstener.
Sound: This is not a Jazz guitarr. Must i say more. Feature: It can help if your equiped with a guitarrpick. Quality: I bought mine 1977, still going strong untutched. All is still original. Value: I can't complain. 1977, I payed about 5000 Swedish kronor for the guitarr. And today I would still get about 10K for it. Manufacturer Support: YES, I asked for the birthday and Gibson answered me over the mail. I guess it was about 5 years ago. ( GREAT ) Overall: Can't live without it. I guess it will soon become a fretswitch. IF I CAN find the right workshop for the job.

When you call, mention priority code 1ZT-BWG2. Llame Gratis en Español: 800-460-7976