When you call, mention priority code 1560-FXF9

Rating and Reviews: 2014 Les Paul Studio

This workhorse of a Les Paul comes ready to rock with coil-tappable 490R and 490T humbuckers, Orange Drop tone capacitors, and a carved figured maple top.

"2014 gibson les paul studio " submitted April 14, 2014

By John K in Upper Darby, PA
Musical Background: 20 year hobbiest
Music Style: Rock , metal
Overall: Let me first say that I am very happy with my purchase . The guitar feels and plays amazingly and sounds like a snarling beast (in a good way). At first glance the fit and finish is beautiful , however upon closer inspection I noticed that the nut that holds the scratchplate to its bracket actually digs into the maple top a little bit and that bugs me a little. And when I went to change the strap buttons for Dunlop straploks , hidden under the bottom button was a gaping hole that appears to be intentional but I have you to figure out why or what for. Other than those issues and vague generalization of the owner manual that tells you the guitar comes equipped with 10 gauge strings when clearly it comes with 9s , it's a great guitar and would totally recommend it to friends. Ps the online pictures don't begin to do these instruments justice, they look so much more beautiful in person

"Great guitar!" submitted January 3, 2014

By henoch a in naples, FL
Musical Background: 10+ year guitar player. non professional
Music Style: Metal, Rock, Jazz, Blues
Overall: REVIEW: I got the guitar out of the box expecting it to need a set up especially afeter reading some of the Gibson QC horror stories, but to my surprise the guitar was in tune with not fret buzz or any issues and the action was nice and low. Great fret work with no issues. The QC on this LP really renewed my faith in buying new Gibsons. SOUND: Loving the 490t/r pickups. Normally i play metal and I was a little worried since i've never used an alnico ii pup but the bridge pickup is nice and clear with and without distortion perfect for leads and the neck pickup has a sweet creamy tone to it that i love that when using the coil tap give this nice vintage Cream like tone but still has enough dirt to really rock out when in full humbucker mode. Compared to my V its brighter due to the maple cap/neck, however the V is more agressive but that's due to the pickups in it. Finally Sustain wise it's almost Spinal tap-esque beating out my ec-1000 and my V. AMP used was an Egnater Rebel 20 head/cab with a TS808 and Bad Horsey wah. FEEL: Biggest difference is the maple neck. I've always been a user of mahogany necks but always wanted a maple neck les paul like on the ZW LP. Compared to my V's neck the LP feels more solid and the neck is slightly thicker, but IMO the maple neck goes great on a LP it's more durable and brightens up the tone. Haven't weighed it properly but it weighs more than my ec-1000 and is heavier than my V. OVERALL: The pictures from my crappy iphone dont do it justice it looks a lot nicer in person than online. Some people have complained about the 12th fret inlay but i actually kind of like it. This guitar is greatfor the $ and for those looking for a solid LP i recommend them especially when they hit the used market.
17 of 18 people (94.44%) found this review helpful. Did you?

"Good all around Axe." submitted February 10, 2014

By Jim A
Overall
Musical Background: Played guitar for 15 years, Bass and ukulele for over 10.
Music Style: Mix of Blues, Reggae, Contemporary Hawaiian, Rock and Contemporary Christian rock/pop.
Overall: Great Value for the money! Anything else USA made like Studio Plus model, or PRS S2, is going for $400 more. Only had to make some slight truss rod adjustments, which is always the case due to our weather and humidity. Fretboard and neck are perfectly PLEK'd, and hope the cryogenic frets do last longer. Coil tap/split makes it a very versatile guitar. Only negative was; I thought was going to have a little more of a gloss finish on the top, only slightly disappointed.

"Gibson Let Paul Studio" submitted March 23, 2014

By veronica segovia in El Paso, TX
Musical Background: Guitar Jam
Music Style: All kind of music
Overall: It is an awesome guitar. As they said you play as you pay. Thank you zones for that trust. Great way to own your equipment.

"Great sounding guitar with a few weaknesses" submitted February 8, 2014

Overall
Sound: Sounds like a Les Paul, and has a great sound. One thing I always look for in an electric guitar, is how it sounds when it is not plugged in. The quality of tone will translate over the pickups, and this guitar had a great warm resonance, that truly shined through the 490R/T pickups. However, the single coil tapping just didn't sound like single coils, and not in a good way. Overall it just sounded like a watered down version of the humbucker, not the bright sound of a single coil. Maybe I just had high expectations, owning strats and teles. I also think it could be due to amp choice. I have a marshall dsl 40c and a small solid state Orange practice amp. Distorted, I could hardly hear a difference when coil tapping on either amp, clean there is a little change. I think this would likely be enhanced more on a Fender tube amp. But really, who buys an LP for a single coil sound anyways? Feature: vintage tuners - OK - but like the grover tuners on the studio pro more Volume/tone knobs - Good - get a little more grip on them than some other Gibson knobs. Graphtech Nut - Good Coil Tapping - Meh Gig bag - very padded, but not the security of a case Ease of Use: Very easy to get a great sound Quality: The main problem I had with this guitar was the finish. The look of the paint job is nice, but a little dull. I would have been ok with that, but the trade off of not having the poly coating is that the finish is extremely fragile as painted wood is very soft without a coating. You will see every pick scrape, don't bump it up against anything. Which is why I think it is crazy that this model comes with a gig bag and not a case for the $1000 price tag. If you want a guitar with a relic look to it, this may be for you, because within a matter of weeks the guitar will probably look rough from use. Value: If the paint job was protected I would say yes, as the craftsmanship of gibson was present. Go with the Studio pro to get the better finish, plastics(pickguard etc), and a case. In the long run, it will be worth it. Manufacturer Support: Did not deal with the manufacturer, but I've heard good things about Gibson's support. The Wow Factor: Dull finish, and the much worse in person tan plastics removed much of the wow factor of this guitar, sadly. Changing the plastics is easy though. Overall: This guitar plays really well, and sounds great, but there are a few things I did not like about the guitar overall. Some of this is preference, some I think may be due to other gear, so keep that in mind. I'm writing this review for the people on the fence, like I was, before buying the guitar. The short version is "great sound, fragile/dull paint job, should come with a case". If you want more detail, read on.

"As close to stunned as I've ever been." submitted March 17, 2014

By Chris L in Edgewater, FL
Overall
Musical Background: I've been playing music for 50 years. Not professionally for about 5 years.
Music Style: Blues, rock, progressive rock etc.
Overall: I bought a 1975 cherry sunburst Les Paul Deluxe in 1977 w/OHSC for $350.00 from someone that needed some cash. Our guitarist (I'm really a keyboard player but I love guitar and play AMAP) liked my Paul better than his '68-'69 Gold Top for some reason and I let him use it. Mistake.... so in 1980 I traded it for some keyboard equipment (an Arp 2600) at a music store in Orlando, FL. Bigger MISTAKE! I've regretted letting it go for many years.So, I see new Gibson LP Studios for $999.00 here at Zzounds a couple months ago and figured it was worth a shot. I bought a Brilliant Red one and hoped it'd look like the pix. Surprisingly, It looks better than any of the pix I've seen and the maple top is done so well it's hard to see the seam as the 2 pieces are virtually bookends. The workmanship is 2nd to none. I'm really impressed and I don't impress easily.I'm playing it through a Marshall DSL40C and a Blackstar HT1R. Sounds great!!! I've no problem with the DSL40C for $699.00 and I don't think you could beat the combination of the new, 2014 LP Studio and the DSL40C if you're on a budget. This LP is one of the easiest guitars to play that I've ever played. I DID have to restring it immediately because I use 10-46 and it came with 9's. I can't even feel a 9. ;-)The bad: I don't really care for the satin type finish and I miss the binding but for the bucks. the great sound, workmanship and the wonderful playability I can happily live with it. The coil splitting sounds ok but split they don't sound like my 2005 American Deluxe Ash Strat's single coils but they're not bad and it gives you WAY more tonal options. The gigbag is not usable for a guitar IMHO and I wouldn't use it for a guitar. I bought a hardshell SKB for it.Bottom line, I couldn't be happier with it!

"Gibson Les Paul Studio" submitted June 29, 2014

By Donald Grissom in Ragley, LA
Overall
Musical Background: 50 years experience on guitar, bass, and drums. Studio musician/engineer.
Music Style: Rock, southern rock, and blues.
Overall: This is the second Gibson Les Paul that I have owned and both were excellent guitars.

"Gibson 2014 Les Paul Studio " submitted April 22, 2014

By Mike Daugherty in Lake Hamilton, AR
Musical Background: Guitarist 40+ yrs
Music Style: eclectic genres, primarily instrumental rock, and new age
Overall: Pros: Great action, fast neck, awesome tonality in all 3 PU positions. Aesthetically pleasing to the eye. Fairly light for a les paul, which IS a design feature, and a plus. Cons: Does not stay in tune - this could be due to too few string wraps on the pegs to keep it "locked in", possibly the factory strings are still stretching, but oftentimes when I play the guitar a day after I tuned it, I fined it de-tuned UP in pitch, and I am not yet sure why this happens. Also, I am very used to Floyd Rose type hardware on my other guitars, but a Les Paul wouldn't be a Les Paul with such hardware installed now would it? Overall, a no-nonsense, no frills, serious axe, ready for studio or stage out of the box. Not bad for a +1000.00 guitar.

"Gibson 2014 Les Paul Studio" submitted May 18, 2014

By Dan Licko in Las Vegas, NV
Musical Background: Drums
Overall: Great Product With a good price.

"A box full of dreams" submitted March 23, 2014

By Tom Borromeo in Deerfield Beach, FL
Overall
Musical Background: Played guitar on and off since a teenager...wow I may actualy be a musician by now
Music Style: love rock, and jazz and blues too...seriously folks music comes from years of practice on a musical instrument, not a lap top y
Overall: Click...Knock...Get...simple as that. The price, terms,the service...and this beautiful Gibson. zZounds made this happen for me.

"2014 Les Paul Studio Honeyburst" submitted May 14, 2014

By Richard F in Baytown, TX
Musical Background: about 26 years
Music Style: Rock, Blues, Country, and everything in between.
Overall: i was a bit iffy on this one at first, but i have learned to love this thing. it is a work horse if nothing else. i am used to my gibsons having binding which actually makes the guitar feel a bit "smoother" if i have to choose a word to describe it. the guitar came half way set up. of course we all like to set up our guitars the way they feel comfortable. the strings were a bit too high for me or any les paul for that matter. a little bit of tweaking and that solved that. the finish is amazing. especially for being a satin finish. the natural wood grain and the AA flame top are both visible and change when the light hits it. something that the pics and the videos don't show. now to the pickups.... i've been a classic 57 man for most of my guitar playing life (close to 26 years) the 490s seemed a bit shrill at first and had me determined to swap the pickups out. almost ear piercing even through the neck pickup. a little adjusting of the posts on each pickup and the height and all is well. the coil tap knobs are a bit wobbly. i guess that is due to having more moving parts. but they still function well. they don't really have the brightness of real a real single coil but they are nice and they basically make your guitar a tone master. it never hurts to throw a compressor in there with the single coil. i've always been used to mahogany necks on my gibsons.... the maple threw me off for a few days until i got used to the feel. but now that we are familiar with each other i love this thing. it is a beautiful beast. it has sustain for days.... i was surprised at how long one note can hold on this thing. my old standard doesn't get this type of sustain. and neither does my old 61 reissue sg from the mid 80s. all in all.... if you are looking for an affordable les paul for the $1000 range grab one.

When you call, mention priority code 1560-FXF9. Llame Gratis en Español: 800-460-7976