When you call, mention priority code 20B-Q37Q

Rating and Reviews: Gibson N-225 Nighthawk

The Gibson N-225 Nighthawk is the first of its kind. A Dirty Fingers pickup paired with a P-90 and the chambered body make this a highly versatile guitar.

"Gibson N-225 - A Uniquely Nice Guitar" submitted January 9, 2016

By Jeffrey C in Jeffersonville, VT
Musical Background: 4 years unprofessional
Music Style: Rock, blues, alternative punk
Overall: I purchased the 2013 Gibson N-225 (2013 was the only year it was made) in faded cherry finish. With the all black hardware and half diamond cutouts it has a stunning look. It plays very easy. The pickup configuration with split coil (by way of the push pull tone knob) on the Dirty Fingers + bridge pup and the P90 neck pup sound fantastic alone or blended. I put some nice black locking strap pins on, but ended up going back to the stock ones because of the poor location of the top pin (stuck out too much and rubbed against me annoyingly). Overall I think this is an awesome guitar that I'll enjoy playing for many years!

"Pretty Dang Good" submitted June 1, 2015

By Brian W in Santa Fe, NM
Overall
Musical Background: Been playing 46 years. Guitar and Bass. Home studio. Play semi-professionally in a couple of bands.
Music Style: Mostly punk and harder rock,with the occasional love song.Winner for Punk at the New Mexico Music Awards 2014,2015. Alternative
Overall: A little neck heavy. Once set up plays just awesome. Decent variety of tones. Killer price for what you get. USA Gibson! No need for Manufacturer Support at this time.

"Good build, a lot of tones, versitile." submitted November 21, 2015

By Rob M in Concord, CA
Musical Background: 35 years, semi-pro
Music Style: Rock, Metal, Country
Overall: A very cool design. Great price. Came with a Gibby case, not a gig bag, bonus! Big meaty frets, slim taper neck. The hollow body aspect comes through the amp. The bridge pu is a monster, but blends well with the P90. Sounds good split, too. It needed minor tweaking setup, nothing major. I've already used it for a Country and Rock gig. Loving it.

"the Chameleon" submitted April 14, 2016

By Todd Blankenship in Huntington, WV
Musical Background: Hobby Guitarist semi pro
Music Style: Rock and Metal
Overall: I call it the chameleon because I can blend the tones to match whatever song choice I'm in the mood for! Classic Rock, 80's metal, AC/DC... I must admit I don't play country but I do play Skynyrd and it sounds great! The bridge pickup factory setup for me was way too high so I toned it down some and now I am super satisfied with the Dirty Fingers. The neck is sooo comfortable and easy to play; all I have to do is dial down the height with adjuster and I'm still intonated; No other adjustments for me after three months but strings. This is a light weight super easy fun guitar that gets looks. period. Honestly, I am not super crazy about the P90; some consider it the holy grail. I think a nice PAF would have been better but it does recreate a lot of nice clean tones and some of the overdriven tones of the 70s. This is also the easiest guitar I have ever had to restring too by the way.

"Great Guitar " submitted April 3, 2016

By Gregory C in Salem, OR
Musical Background: 25+ years
Music Style: Rock, Finger Style, Classical, and Flamingo
Overall: Bought this in January 2016 from zZounds. love this guitar, great quality! The action is smooth, pickups have a wide range that will cover a variety of playing styles, and no issues with the workmanship.

"Gibson Nighthawk Natural" submitted September 8, 2015

By Mike T in Atlanta, GA
Musical Background: Aging Amateur
Music Style: catholic tastes - I do/try it all!
Overall: Never thought I'd have access to a genuinely simple but powerful guitar as this. Bought at rock bottom price from zZounds and couldn't be happier! Tonal range great, action excellent & I actually like the neck which was my biggest concern with buying my first Gibson. As to the look, you love it or hate it - I happen to have fallen in love :-)

"Imagine a nice clean wrestler partnering with a very naughty wrestler. . ." submitted June 23, 2016

By Dennis H in Shreveport, LA
Musical Background: Amateur
Music Style: country, blues, rock, folk
Overall: Because that is what this guitar is. While the nice clean P-90 has the other side in a leg lock, the very naughty Dirty Fingers pickup hits the opponent over the head with a metal chair. This is really kewl, and gives you a new edge to old music. Love Me Tender comes out like a very bad girl in a white wedding gown. She looks very sweet and innocent, but you just can't escape the feeling that all heck is about to break loose. So, I love this guitar. If you are looking at this last one for sale, and wondering---should I???--- Stop wondering and GRAB IT QUICK before it gets away.

"Very Unique, Natural Pinstripe" submitted September 17, 2015

By Robert L in Peoria, AZ
Overall
Musical Background: Been playing since 1980. Jam at home mostly or in front of friends.
Music Style: Rock, Punk, Country
Sound: The sound of this guitar is very pleasing the the ear. From the P90 in the neck, you get very nice warm tones and a nice clearity, even when the overdrive is kicked up a few notches. With the Dirty Fingers Plus in the neck, you get a pickup that can scream the leads, or blend nicely with the rest of the band. As for comparing the N-225 to my Fender HSS Strat, I would have to say that the N-225 sounds much warmer when needed as well as rock the house when called upon to do do. Feature: The tuners do a great job at keeping the guitar in tune. However, I did get a Schaller Roller Tune-O-Matic Bridge to help keep it in tune while using the Vibrola Tailpiece. That alone made a huge difference in the playability. Ease of Use: I can get any sound I want with this guitar. I have a Marshall DSL40C that I play through. When I need some warm rhythms with a hint of crunch the P90 gets the job done. To get a much more distorted sound I switch to the Dirty Fingers Pickup on the bridge. That pickup sounds amazing whether being clean, crunch, or any other setting I can think of. That Dirty Fingers Pickup can also be split as well which even opens up more tonal possibilties. Quality: The quality on this guitar is spot on. No blemishes, no finish issues. Stays in tune, stays in tune, and stays in tune. Value: This Gibson is either you like it or hate it. I for one really love it. Manufacturer Support: The only manufacturer support i used was when I registered the guitar in case i needed warranty work. The person I talked to from Gibson was very friendly and knowledgable. The Wow Factor: The wow factor is that you very rarley see this Gibson model anywhere. That to me means a lot in that it is not a "run-of-the-mill" guitar. Overall: I have read many reviews online about this guitar. In fact, one youtube review has it as one of Gibson's 10 most weirdest guitars made. One more reason I like it.
19 of 21 people (90.48%) found this review helpful. Did you?

"Gibson N-225" submitted December 23, 2013

By Dave P in Leon, IA
Overall
Musical Background: Gave up guitar after several years of frustration in the 60s, early 70s. Getiing back to it in retirement.
Music Style: mostly 50s/60s/early 70s rock and some country and blues
Overall: My first name brand guitar over lesser known/cheap guitars. Extremely pleased with how much easier it is on the hand/fingers to work the fret board. Always wanted a Gibson, but being a novice and on a fixed income never thought I'd be able to get one with all the features in the style I wanted. Smaller than most semi hollow bodies I looked at, makes it easier for me to play. The 8 payment plan made it the ideal buy for me.
15 of 17 people (88.24%) found this review helpful. Did you?

"N-225" submitted March 8, 2013

By William Jennings J in Waterville Valley, NH
Musical Background: 24 years guitarist semi pro
Music Style: Groove jam blues rock grass country
Overall: Really nice. Natural finish. Super setup springy!! Fast action. Sustain sustain. I love it. I'm a luthier and don't usually buy new guitars but this one is cool. Way better in person. The tone is awesome. Mine has flames on the back and on he neck. So pretty. And smells like heavin. Could use a fret polish and end dressing but thi our of the case setup was surprisingly dead on. Thanks zzounds
29 of 33 people (87.88%) found this review helpful. Did you?

"Gibson N-225 Nighthawk" submitted June 14, 2015

By Mark J in San Antonio, TX
Musical Background: Amateur, play at home for personal enjoyment
Music Style: Rock, blues
Overall: I'm an acoustic guy who has dabbled in Fenders and Epiphones so when I saw the N-225 Nighthawk my curiosity was piqued. I am still trying to bond with the Nighthawk. I like the differences between the pickups but haven't found "the" tone yet. I like its playability, setup out of the box was great, quality is high as one would expect of the Gibson name. It is a nice guitar but is also a challenge. Ask me again in 3 months. :-) As always, zZounds came through on the ease of purchase/delivery side of the deal; guys, I WILL be back! :-)

"Gibson N-225 Nighthawk Electric Guitar ( The AXE you dreamed about!)" submitted November 19, 2015

By Ted Macdonald in Carlisle, PA
Musical Background: 42 years playing, Played lead in several bands in 80's-90's
Music Style: Blues, Jazz, Classic rock, Metal, Old school Thrash
Overall: I'll make this short, I bought the Natural about a year ago here at zZounds, They did not have the red, Only natural then. This guitar is so incredible, The craftsmanship on my natural is PERFECT! Tone to match! I saw they have the red now and even cheaper, I would have bought this again even at the price I paid before it's that good! Oh, And wait till you see the unbelievable Super strong old school case it comes in! If your a Gibson fan and your tired of the crap they have been putting out, You better get this one while you can, It is HOT! Just check the reviews! Trust me, They won't last now, And those who buy them more than likely are not going to sell it once they realize what a beast it is. A real collectors Gibson I'm sure! (oh yea, So excited I forgot to mention I just ordered my 2nd in Red!)

"A real nice change for Gibson!" submitted July 5, 2015

By Ted Macdonald in Carlisle, PA
Musical Background: 40+ yrs
Music Style: Classic rock, Blues, Metal
Overall: I was not sure about this one, But my concerns were quickly erased. This guitar is a real great buy and well worth the price. Mine was set up damn near perfect out of the CASE! Very nice action with NO fret buzz anywhere, Perfect intonation, Lots of tone choices! Looks much better in person than in pictures! The neck on this gives your fingers plenty of room without feeling too chunky. The build on mine is exceptional! I went over it very closely and could not find a shingle imperfection or flaw. Overall, After getting my hands on this, I can honestly say it is worth every cent and probably DOUBLE what I paid. This will probably end up being a collect able Gibson as time goes by. If your on the fence about this one, Go for it! You simply cannot beat the quality and value for the price!

When you call, mention priority code 20B-Q37Q. Llame Gratis en Español: 800-460-7976