When you call, mention priority code 164G-P5H6

Rating and Reviews: Gibson Thunderbird IV

Thunder indeed! With through-body construction and a 9-ply mahogany/walnut neck. the Thunderbird delivers cut-through-the-mix attack with a low-end thump.

"A Bass that you need to try" submitted October 5, 2010

By a customer from att.net
Music Style: Rock, metal, blues
Sound: I love the sound of this bass. I play mostly rock, metal, and some blues. It's got great punch when toned down and clear notes when brightened. Feature: The case is beautiful. It's strong, the handle is placed so that it is well balanced, and it has a lock on it. The inside secures the instrument nicely and it also has a utility compartment which stores the bottle of polish and the neck rod adjustment tool that comes with the guitar. I wasn't real excited about the inside of my case being the color pink, but what the heck, it's still a Gibson! Ease of Use: The thunderbird's tonal quality is far superior to the P-bass that I used to play before I bought this bass. I personally find this bass very comfortable and easy to play, but I'm a tall, long armed person. It fits me well. Quality: You have to pick one up for yourself to appreciate it's craftsmanship. I have no complaints about anything on my bass. I've read that the head can crack if it's dropped, but like anything that I value, I don't go throwing it around. I feel that it is a sturdy, well made bass. Mine is a beautiful sunburst finish that shines like a new car. I have no problem taking it on the road because of the sturdy case it comes in, and it's steady on my guitar stand during breaks. If I had to pick a worst aspect of quality, I'd say that the balance is a little neck heavy, but not to a point where it affects playing. Value: Absolutely Manufacturer Support: I haven't used them, but band members dealt with gibson support and had no problems. The Wow Factor: I think it's the best looking bass out there. Mine has the sunburst finish that is just beautiful. Overall: I'll keep this bass until I die. If it was lost or stolen, I would die LOL. Seriously, I'd just buy another one.

"Perfect" submitted April 15, 2014

By Brad Ames in Lancaster, KY
Overall
Musical Background: Bass, guitar, keyboard, Uke, Trumpet, and synth player.
Music Style: Electronic, rock, metal, classical, jazz, and experimental
Overall: I received this product a day early and it was set up right out of the box. The Zzounds team did an excellent job, and even though there was a recent billing error, it was solved quickly. I highly recommend this bass and their services to anyone needing a musical instrument or gear!

Gibson Thunderbird IV Customer Review submitted March 12, 2008

Musical Background: working musician
Music Style: blues, rock
Sound: The low-end sound of this bass is the best. It is incredible how thunderous this bass can sound and still be so incredible delicate the next moment. I've been using it in blues-, grunge-, punk-, melodic metal-, ...bands and it never feels or sounds out of place! Feature: The flightcase it comes in is perfect! Ease of Use: It has a slim and rounded neck, which results in great playability. The bass has got perfect ballance. In comparison to other basses i've had and played, the thunderbird IV makes it soooo easy. No effort required, so all the energy you put in results in better sound, better feel, .. the bass just allows you to lift your music to a higher level. Quality: It's a high-end neckthru gibson bass that comes in it's own, perfect fit, flightcase. This needs no further explanation! Value: it's an expensive bass, but it's worth it. don't settle for less or for cheap look-a-likes. Manufacturer Support: I always get replies within 24 hours after sending emails... no further experience. The Wow Factor: To me, this is the best looking bass around. I fell in love with it the first time i saw it! And i do realise its a love it or hate it bass, but i believe it to be a good thing! its got character. Overall: Well, all-in-all, this bass is it to me. you touch it, and i'll hunt you down...

"Nice sound, but quality control questionable" submitted February 23, 2013

By John H in Port Moody, BC
Musical Background: 25 years, retired semi pro who currently jams with friends
Music Style: blues, rock, metal
Overall: An okay bass that looks nice and sounds great, but from the factory the set up was poor, actually it was so bad it was laughable. Had to get it set up and waste more money. Gibson does not care unless you live in the USA, if you are from Canada or anywhere else they will ignore you and I still think they send their returns or factory seconds abroad.

"2013 Gibson Thunderbird" submitted July 6, 2014

By Jerry K in Wake Forest, NC
Musical Background: 43 years, bass
Music Style: From hymns to rock and all points in between.
Overall: I bought this as a 'blemished.' It had slight scratches on the back near the bottom (like from a guitar stand). The rest of the instrument was flawless. I favor Hipshot bridges, so I installed their Supertone 3pt replacement. I've wanted one of these T-Birds since the '70s because I liked Martin Turner's tone (Wishbone Ash). Although this is a modern version, it doesn't disappoint and in some ways better--like more balanced (no neck dive). The first thing that distinguishes it is the incredible sustain. The tone is warm; yet very nasty, aggressive, and loud. It loves being played with a pick. My other bass is a 6 string and my wrist is showing signs of arthritis, so I'm going back to a 4 string. The T-Bird neck is comfortable and less fatiguing. The blemished price made this a hard deal to pass up. The time is now.

"few instruments are "perfect" right out of the box!" submitted August 12, 2013

By rick s in windsor, ON
Overall
Musical Background: have played (bass) for about 35 yrs. play both professionally and for relaxation. own 14 basses covering a gamut of tone,scale
Music Style: classic rock, blues, prog-rock ocaisionally country or metal, if the band or venue requires it.
Overall: the overall tone of this bass (as with most decent quality instruments), depends partly on setup and the type and materials of the strings utilized. as another reviewer made mention of, my bass also needed considerable setup tweaking to improve the sound and playability. by installing a set of Roto-66's, gently and carefully filing the grooves in the nut, resoldering all of the connections from pickupsthru to output jack, and finally, adding a set of Schaller strap locks, I ended up with a really respectable, great-sounding bass! of course, many of these actions, no doubt, void the warranty, so I suppose one might want to consider having Gibson perform them, should they feel compelled to make such "improvements". (I have no idea what it would cost to have Gibson techs perform these changes before, or after original shipping, assuming the factory would even consider such "customisation" prior to original purchase).

"Gibso great quality of yester year but lacking in the future." submitted September 23, 2010

Musical Background: active muscian
Music Style: crazy tecno pirate death metal.
Sound: the sound is what you expext nice and loud Feature: not a lot on the features basic and simple Ease of Use: realy easey to use neck and controls are simple Quality: after returning 3 thunderbirds the fourth one was great qulity. the first one i recived the bridge poped out of the body after two days of playing. the second one i recived was good for about a week, but the pickups went out. the third one i recived the neck was cracked(from the tip of the headstock to the third fret). but the fourth one i recived was top notch. Value: great quality and under 2k what a steal. Manufacturer Support: you will have be more successful trying to sue walmart than get a replie out of gibson. The Wow Factor: there are better basses out there but the gibson t bird is number two in its price range. The esp phoenix II i a t bird copy with active electronics nicer woods and cost 100 dollars more. Overall: overall its a good bass but not worth the hassle

Gibson Thunderbird IV Customer Review submitted September 26, 2006

Overall
Sound: Tonally it's so close to perfect I just... augh! Slapping may be a little padded on here, but not noticibly. Ease of Use: Yeah man. The neck is fast and slim. The pick ups are a good space from the strings, so... Quality: Damn right it's made well. Value: Well, it's definitely worth it, of course it would be nicer a little cheaper. The Wow Factor: HAWT.
18 of 26 people (69.23%) found this review helpful. Did you?

"If you want a bass guitar that renders respect upon introduction - provides studio quality sound at every turn and is a generati" submitted August 16, 2006

By a customer from bellsouth.net
Music Style: Rock, country. southern rock, classic pop rock
Sound: I don't know what game the previous "rate(r's)" were watching but the Gibson=Thunderbird IV is a classic bass guitar. The tone is unmatchable in any other bass - the action is sooo sweet - the playability is tremendous and the overall style is unprecedented. This bass is one of if not the best bass guitars I have ever owned or played - I have played the Pedulla's and Lakeland's as well as many other heavy priced bass' - the only bass that comes close to the Thunderbird is my Fender Jazz American Standard - this is also a classic. Feature: The case that comes witht he Thunderbird is extremely nice. Ease of Use: From novice to expert the Thunderbird will improve and assist is smooth groovy playin'. Quality: It's a $1700.00 dollar Gibson? Of course the quality it top notch. Value: You get what you pay for - this bass is high end but it is worth every penny and I wouldn't take twice the price to sell. Manufacturer Support: Unsure - have not used. The Wow Factor: The Thunderbird, to me, is the best looking bass guitar out there. Overall: I own several bass guitars and the only one I play regularly is the Gibson.

Gibson Thunderbird IV Customer Review submitted March 11, 2010

Sound: had one for 25 years bi-centinnial issue good bottom end nice high's.

"Thunderbird, worth the wait!" submitted May 3, 2007

By a customer from cfl.rr.com
Music Style: Cosmic American music
Sound: The best tone of any bass. Feature: Case has custom fit. Ease of Use: with the Hartke 5500 amp anything is possible. Those that own one,no explaination is necessary. Those that don't, none is possible. Quality: It's a Gibson. Nuff said. Value: Of course.(you get what you pay for) Manufacturer Support: See above. The Wow Factor: Thunderbirds aren't fer nerds. Figure it out. Overall: The search is over. After playing Fenders and Gibsons, Rickenbackers and everything in between over the last 35 years the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow is a T-Bird.
14 of 19 people (73.68%) found this review helpful. Did you?

"sorry guys... i hate it" submitted March 9, 2006

Musical Background: hobbist
Music Style: punk
Sound: ive had much better. this may come ofm a shock but trust me. Feature: bag was awful Ease of Use: hard to play Quality: not really. a grade 7 could make one Value: too much i wasted 2000 dollars Manufacturer Support: yep. the said bite me The Wow Factor: dislike the looks alot... Overall: get an 8th grader to do it.

When you call, mention priority code 164G-P5H6. Llame Gratis en Español: 800-460-7976