When you call, mention priority code 157V-1VL2

Rating and Reviews: Gibson SG Faded Bass

Thick enough to shake the room, but crisp enough to project every note through the mix, the Gibson SG bass' tone is as legendary as the body it comes from.

"Plugged and played." submitted August 22, 2013

By Jim Fowler in Okeechobee, FL
Overall
Musical Background: Playing guitar and bass for 50 years. Play guitar, mandolin, upright bass and bass guitar.
Music Style: Bluegrass, Bluegrass gospel, Traditional and Contemporary Christian.
Overall: I purchased this instrument on line from zzounds two days ago and it was in my hands this afternoon in time for praise band rehearsal. I tuned, plugged, and played. Set up and intonation were spot on as best as I could tell. I may make some adjustments as time goes on, but I am very pleased with it as-is. This bass tunes very easily and has plenty of punch without sounding tinny. I normally play mandolin or guitar, so the short scale is perfect for me. This bass is lighter than most, as I was able to play using a piece of 1/4" nylon cord as a makeshift strap without any discomfort.Fit and finish are perfect. The neck joint is flush and cannot be felt at all. I ordered the brown color and the grain is really nice. Its called "worn" but is better described as a natural wood grain finish. The smell indicated it was finished with linseed oil, which is fine with me. Neck is straight and frets are finished well with no sharp ends sticking out.There is not a lot of glitz and glamour with this bass. There are no fancy inlays and even the Gibson logo is a screen print. It is, however a quality piece and a bargain at zzounds price.

"I like it..I like it allot." submitted October 26, 2013

By Dave J in Illahee, WA
Overall
Musical Background: Been playing guitar/bass for almost 50 years. Am currently in a classic/country/southern rock cover band.
Music Style: Classic/country/southern rock, blues, country.
Overall: I had searched everywhere for this bass in faded brown and was told more than once that they were discontinued. I was about ready to give up when I found one at Zzounds...in faded brown...and for $100 less than a cherry or black one anywhere else. I ordered it on a Tuesday and it arrived (free shipping) on Friday, AFTER I had left for band practice. Saturday morning I unpacked her, tuned her up, and took a test run. Great sound unplugged. Looked her over closely and was impressed...okay, it's an all-mahogany bass, faded finish, no binding, nothing flashy. That's okay. Nice neck. Simple layout. Volume, volume, tone. Grover tuners. Frets finished nicely. Plugged her in to my Ampeg PF500 w/2x10 and 1x15. Plenty of variation in sound with blending pups and adjusting tone. Very pleased. Restrung with flatwounds and IMHO sounds better. Short scale took a little getting used to, but think my Jazz bass will be relegated to back-up duty. If you've considered getting a SS bass, this is a steal. Not much more than a SS Epi or Fender, but infinitely better.

"Get one as soon as you can" submitted July 22, 2013

By Donald U in Parachute, CO
Overall
Musical Background: 50 plus years playing.
Music Style: Just about anything before 1980.
Overall: I bought my first Bass in 1961. It was a Fender Jazz Bass along with a Fender Bassman amp. Since then I have had almost every brand out there from Rickenbacker to a $99 pawn shop special. With age comes problems that a short scale, light weight instrument is the answer to being able to enjoy playing. The instrument is a very nice, well made beauty that I'll enjoy for probably the remainder of my years. The only thing I found that disappoints me about a Gibson made product is the lack of detail to the frets. I had to file almost everyone to get rid of the sharp edges. Shame on you Gibson.

"Gibson Short Scale SG bass" submitted December 29, 2013

By Andrew K in Newark, NJ
Musical Background: 5+ years on bass, gig a few times a month
Music Style: hard rock, heavy metal, alternative
Overall: Wonderful bass, on the light side but serious tone. Not a lacquered instrument (hence the worn finish) but it looks and plays amazing. Hard to put down since I got it, would seriously buy another. Only complaint would be a few small places where paint was missed but overall amazing instrument. Neck is dark and full of bass, bridge is bright and can get jangly. Pots feel solid as do tuners.

"Don't go by the specs" submitted April 24, 2013

By Malcolm C in Reno, NV
Overall
Musical Background: Played multiple instruments for 30 years, professionally at times
Music Style: Rock, Blues, Country, Bluegrass
Overall: This is listed as a Gibson SG Standard Faded bass with gig bag. Mine came with a Gibson hard shell case...No complaints mind you, but my review would not be complete if I didn't mention that little tid-bit. Some other small inconsistancies...if you look at the specs it says it has two volume and two tone controls with a three way toggle switch and would lead you to believe the pick ups are identical, but if you look at the photo you will see the actual set up. There are two volume controls and a master tone with no selector switch, and it has a regular humbucker at the neck and a mini humbucker at the bridge. That's all fine. This is my first experience with Gibson's faded finish. It's not exactly how I pictured it would be from descriptions I've read. Rather than looking faded or worn, it just looks like they left off the gloss. For the price difference that is to be expected. I only brought that up because nothing about the finish looks worn. The bass plays very nicely...that is to say it fits my hand.

"Gibson SG Bass standard faded ebony" submitted December 26, 2013

By Victor Marin in Santa Ana, CA
Overall
Musical Background: 11 years playing, i play both guitar and bass, play bass in a band
Music Style: My music style is straight out rock and roll.
Overall: I love this bass, matched with my Orange head you get a great rock sound from this bass. The humbuckers do a great job of giving you different tones also.

"WOW!!!!" submitted March 29, 2013

By Jack D in Seattle, WA
Overall
Musical Background: Small gigs, practicing at home, a year of music experience
Music Style: Rock, Metal, reggae, funk, anything
Sound: A deep, muddy tone that can become a chameleon and make any sound. Feature: The labeled knobs, the short scale, all of the contributes to any easier playing experience. Ease of Use: Incredibly playable, easy to wow with, no hum or buzz to be seen anywhere. Quality: The faded finish is fantastic, giving the entire bass a retro feel and a great, worn look. The entire bass is built with great care, and it is a high quality death machine of bassy goodness. Value: This bass is a steal for the money, considering basses only slightly better are twice the price. If you need a good bass for any environment, this is it. Manufacturer Support: I did not really have to deal with Gibson on this, but from what I heard, the service isn't bad. The Wow Factor: WOW. Need I say more? Overall: This bass is the most amazing bass I have ever laid eyes on. Carrying a legacy that goes back to bands such as Cream and the Grateful Dead, this bass is sure to give you a kick no matter how you use it.

"Superb" submitted March 24, 2013

By Felix R
Music Style: Rock, Punk, reggae, funk
Overall: Used by the likes of Jack Bruce, Phil Lesh, and Andy Fraser, this bass will never fail you. The tonal variety is astounding, the playability is incredible, and the look is just classic. The faded finish gives a vintage look to the entire bass, and it will play unbelievably through any amp. Simple, but a great bass. Do not hesitate to buy it.

When you call, mention priority code 157V-1VL2. Llame Gratis en Español: 800-460-7976