When you call, mention priority code 14J7-GSVV

Rating and Reviews: Fender Aerodyne Jazz Bass

Nail those tricky rhythms with sonic flexibility. The Aerodyne boasts a P bass pickup in the middle, and a single-coil J bass pickup in the bridge position.

"Very Nice Bass for the Price" submitted May 18, 2012

By Christian M in Clover, SC
Overall
Musical Background: Playing bass for 36 years. Also play mandolin, dulcimer, guitar and some keys. Have been playing professionaly for 30 years.
Music Style: My core music interest is Rock but I also like contemporary country music.
Sound: The sound is great... Lots of tone shaping with the P anf J pickup combination. My only complaint is that the J pickup tends to be noisy. Othere than that the sound is terrific. The bass came with Fender Super 7250 strings 45 thru 100. I usually use Roto Sound 40 - 95 but these sound and feel so good I am going to start using them on my other Fenders. Feature: The overall feel of the bass is nice, especially with the arched top. I have another Jazz bass but the P pickup really adds more charaater to the bottom end. It sounds great through my Trace Elliot. The bass came with Fender Ease of Use: The neck is perfect. Nice and smooth and slender. The 7.5 inch radius makes chording easier wuth less fatigue and the smooth finish on the back is nice Quality: The quality and craftmanship on this bass are equal to that of basses that cost 2 to three time more. I know because I own a few. The only thing I don't like is the typical stock fender bridge that hasn't changed in decades. I'm already changing this out with a Leo Quan Badass II. Value: The quality and craftmanship on this bass are equal to that of basses that cost 2 to three time more. Lot's of value here and well worth the price at $799. Manufacturer Support: In all my years owning Fender products, I have never had to deal with them because I've never had a problem. In that respect I guess I would rate them 5 stars for never having to go through the trouble of dealing with the manufacterer compared to for example... the cell phone company who I talk to 4 to 5 times a month. The Wow Factor: The smooth Black on Black finish looks beutiful, I'm almost afraid to play it. Nice sleek design with the traditional Fender shape. Nice job on this bass. I would buy another in a different color just to have it. Overall: I'm very happy with my new Bass and with the order experience from ZZounds. The bas showed up in 2 days with free shipping. I would have been happy with a week. There were no problems with the bass and the order process was very easy. I will order again.

"The Aerodyne Jazz Bass has more curves then your girlfrind." submitted January 10, 2006

Music Style: Rock, Alternative, Jazz
Sound: This bass takes the best of the p and jazz basses and puts them together to create one AWESOME bass! It is about half the thickness of a normal jazz bass and it weighs about half too. People will tell you it is the most beautiful bass they have ever seen and I agree! It looks like a standard jazz except in a tuxedo. Great for ANY style. I highly recommend it. Feature: The stock pickups and everything have been great. Everything has stayed in place and hasnt loosened up. The tuning is rock solid. Quality: Nothing has broken on it yet and i has held up amazing. I am extra careful with mine because the smooth black finish makes even the smallest scratches show up. It's a fingerprint magnent too so keep a cloth handy. Value: This things a beauty! Definitely worth it if you are in the market for a great bass with a p/j pup configuration. The price does seem a tad steep though. Manufacturer Support: I have never dealt with Fender customer service so I wouldnt know. The Wow Factor: This baby is sweet! It has a carved top unlike other fender basses. When it comes in the mail you will want to make sweet love to it. Overall: I've played Mexican jazz and p basses and the Aerodyne is so much better! I don't have a lot of experience with the American fender so I can't say much about that. If someone stole it I would buy it back only if I couldn't hunt the person down who stole it and punch them in the face.

"I'm In Love With My Aerodyne J-Bass!!!" submitted September 26, 2005

By a customer from sbcglobal,net
Musical Background: active musician, songwriter & lyricist
Music Style: mostly classic rock and original material
Sound: The sound is unbelievable - even in a home/practice setting. The instrument seems to respond to me individually, almost as if it were made exclusively for me. On CD recordings it is unmatched. I am currently using my Aerodyne J-Bass with an SWR 2x10 Workingman combo amp, often used along with a small but effective DigiTech BP50 modeling bass processor. What I am getting is something hauntingly similar to the sound of a Mesa/Boogie 400+ or thereabouts. Don't have any tips as of yet to make the product sound better - I am quite satisfied with it. Feature: I was very fortunate in that the deal from which I purchased my Aerodune J-Bass threw in a nice Fender case with it. I absolutely love the combination and configuration of the pickups on this beauty! What a sound, and what a choice of sounds even with the simplest of amplification and no additional effects. Quality: The product is top of the line in quality of construction. Yes, the finish is a pain because of fingerprints, but it causes me to be more meticulous about keeping it clean. It is dependable and sturdy. I have another bass (a nice Peavy Millenium which I learned on)but I don't consider that one for "just in case". I believe the Aerodyne to be mine for a lifetime, barring any unforseen catastrophe. Value: The price was very fair. Manufacturer Support: I have not needed any support from the company. We have a Fender dealer nearby who is reputable and dependable should I need service. The Wow Factor: I HAVE IT - and it's initial appearance is what hooked me! This bass is drop-dead gorgeous! But even more awesome was the sound from it, just as beautiful as this fabulous, hefty, gutsy bass. Overall: I don't expect to be looking for another bass. I may be in the market for a better amp someday, but am satisfied at present. If something horrific happened to this bass, I would not hesitate to rush right out and replace it with THE EXACT SAME ONE. I appreciate the ease of handling more than anything.
13 of 14 people (92.86%) found this review helpful. Did you?

"Buy this guitar!!" submitted May 3, 2006

By a customer from infoave.net
Music Style: Varied
Sound: Very Flexible with both J and P pickups. Feature: quality product all around Ease of Use: Plays like a dream. Light as a feather! Quality: Fender Bass ...what else? Value: no sign of the blemish whatsoever. Paid only $519 for what will be the next classic. Manufacturer Support: Based on phone call... bought a blemished one. The Wow Factor: If you can find a better looking bass guitar let me know. Black one is SSWWEEEETT Overall: This die with me>

"This Fender will be a classic" submitted January 12, 2006

Overall
Sound: The bass gives you a classic best of both worlds sound. You can push the P pickup and get a thick tone or turn up the J full and get a honky tone. The J pickup as said in other reviews is a bit on the noisy side. Perhaps a noiseless Fender jazz pickup will correct that. If you are looking for an active tone this bass is not for you. It will not give you the snap of let's say a Music Man. Think John Paul Jones-Lemon song tone. For slap think Larry Graham. The C-shape neck is comfortable and fast. Possibly the only other neck I have liked more was on a 67 Fender Jazz or the Geddy Lee (very ugly)bass. The Geddy Lee bass has a poly? finish that might wear on you after a while. The Aerodyne also looks very striking with a black gloss finish and the cream binding. The smoky chrome hardware looks great too. Just make sure you dry the polish off the bridge as mine has corroded. Also the bridge coud be a higher quality but is no unforgiving. Overall a winner by all means. Feature: Has everything it needs in simplicity. Front(p) rear(j) and tone. Tuners stays in tune. Quality: Everything with the exception of the bridge is top quality although not boutique quality. Value: I paid $450 new for mine. How can you beat that. Even at $629 it is a great buy. Made in Japan, but who says they don't make quality instruments. Manufacturer Support: Never needed support The Wow Factor: Mucho sex appeal just by the appearance. The light basswood body is great for 40+ rockers like me who have neck problems. Young uns wait your turn. Overall: Would never sell it. A lifetime keeper. Would actually like to buy 2 more to play with as far as different pickups to see how the tone would change or maye adding active electronics.

"The last bass you'll ever need to buy" submitted January 9, 2007

Music Style: Rock / Blues / Alternative
Sound: Very versatile with the P/J pups, can dial in just about any sound - I gave it a 9 because it's not quite a 10 on the p-bass sound and not quite a 10 on the j-bass sound but it's awefully damn close - the blended thunder+punch is very nice. Feature: Only 2 negatives, (1) doesn't come with a case and (2) the bridge is only so-so. Even so, I still love it. Ease of Use: It's a J-bass, I like the narrow neck (1.5" at the nut) - easier to play than my original '62 precision Quality: Fit and finish are excellent, Fender Japan has really upped the ante on quality - it's a beautiful guitar Value: better than basses 2x and 3x the price, best value I've found on a new bass - that's why I bought it. Manufacturer Support: no opinion, haven't had to use it The Wow Factor: This is one sexy bass - kudos to Fender and the design team that came up with it Overall: My '62 p-bass will sit on the stand most of the time now
13 of 14 people (92.86%) found this review helpful. Did you?

"Very nice bass..." submitted March 22, 2014

By a p in san diego, CA
Overall
Musical Background: Been playing guitar for decades, new to the bass
Music Style: metal, blues, rock, etc
Overall: I got this bass about a year ago here at zzounds.com for about 700 bucks, I have been playing guitar for decades but I got the bass bug, I got this bass just for the looks, nothing else looks like this bass, and of course because it is a Fender. The Aerodyne is made in Japan, and the craftsmanship is really top shelf, it is flawless, it is a beautiful instrument the pictures don't really show how good looking it is, and it's made like a tank. The only thing I didn't like was the bridge pick up, it was useless. I changed the bridge to a Schaller Bass Bridge 2000 finished in ruthenium to match the black chrome(no re-drilling needed), and replaced both pick ups with a set from DiMarzio (DP126), the bridge change didn't really make a lot of difference, maybe just a bit more sustain but I can adjust the string spacing now; I also changed the strings to DR Black Beauties even though I did not need to since the Fender strings are actually pretty good, but the DiMarzio pick ups took this bass to another class of instrument; I shielded the potentiometers cavity with conductive shielding paint and now it has no noise at all, you can't tell the bass is on unless you pluck it, and when you do it growls through my TC BG250-115, now I love this bad a.. bass; so in a few words it is worth it, even with the bridge pick up being as noisy as it was, that is a cheap easy fix which I did in my garage. The neck is maple and if the light hits it right it looks like it is flamed, it is just awesome looking without the fret markers; and the sound is right on the spot, you can get lots of different tones from this beast, buy it before it goes up in price, which it will for sure, it already has. By the way zzounds.com is the best place to get gear because of their payment plans, I couldn't have this bass if it wasn't for the easy installments, so get it if you are looking to get something that will last and will retain its value, hey, it's a Fender after all; my grand son will surely inherit this beauty, it is really that good overall.

"FLAWLESS" submitted February 15, 2006

Overall
Musical Background: active musician (in a band)
Music Style: "alternametal"/"postgrunge" but I'll play anything (rock/alternative/heavy metal/etc
Sound: So much better than anything I've ever played. I love the sound. There's so many possible combinations too, because you have the benefit of both types of Fender pickups. Feature: Best of both worlds. You can play any type of music with this bass. Quality: Typical Fender quality. The only thing is that because of the mirror black finish, it fingerprints like CRAZY, but nothing a good cloth can't take care of. Value: Very inexpensive for what it comes with. you basically get the fusion of a jazz and precision bass, and the price isn't through the roof. I don't see myself buying another bass for an extremely long time. Manufacturer Support: Never needed any, but I expect it to be good Mine didn't come with a manual or anything...I had to look stuff up online and that took away from the time i could play it. The Wow Factor: This bass is SEXY. Its all black with no pick guard. The cream colored parts accent the bass nicely. THere's no dots on the actual fretboard (there's dots on the side though) so that adds to the black. The headstock is even painted black. ALl in all it has a very, very smooth look. Overall: I LOVE THIS. Better than anything I've played, and it was cheap too. As I've said I dont' see myself replacing this, unless I get an American P-Bass (with active J/P pickups), but that won't be until I run this bass into the ground.
10 of 11 people (90.91%) found this review helpful. Did you?

"Fender Aerodyne Bass" submitted August 20, 2013

By Jeff G in San Antonio, TX
Overall
Musical Background: 7 Months, Bass, At Home, At Church. Other bass is a legend 5.
Music Style: Rock, Christian contemporary, yeah..even a little country.
Overall: As a somewhat new bass player, I understand there are a ton of things I do not know. But, after changing the stock strings to lo riders, it cuts through the mix very well. The tonal range of this bass is outstanding. This is my 2nd bass that I own now(yeah I got the bug already) I play in a worship band at my church, and received a ton of compliments on it, going through a compressor to a bg250..same setup as my other bass, this one just comes through so much cleaner.. Received it quickly, very well packed, only had to make minor adjustments to the bridge and I was off and playing. This was also my first time ordering from ZZounds..not sure if they ever do a follow up, but everything was smooth and email communication kept me informed of the order status.

"Awesome" submitted April 5, 2005

Overall
Sound: With the jazz and p-pups this bass has a verl large tonal palette. You can create anything from bright to large in dark very easily. The sound is excellent. Feature: Bound body, rear routed controls and no pickguard make this thing look totally differnt from any other bass fender makes. Chrome hardware on it is awesome. Quality: It's a fender. Value: Excellent value fro the price and a great instrument. Manufacturer Support: haven't had to deal with them but I've heard rumors. The Wow Factor: Awesome. Overall: This is a great instrument and I'll adore it for a long time. When looking for a new guitar check this one out.

"The amazing Aerodyne." submitted February 26, 2014

By Robert Snyder in Binghamton, NY
Musical Background: 40yrs bass
Music Style: Hard Rock
Overall: I've owned a wide range of bass guitars over the last 40yrs. but the Fender Aerodyne is by far the best bass I've owned. The fast neck and light weight make it a pleasure to play. But most of all it is a beautiful work of art. Absolutely love it.

"Why did it take me so long?" submitted June 21, 2012

By Juan M in Bronx, NY
Overall
Musical Background: Have been a musician all my life however, I recently began my journey with the bass
Music Style: I will play what I like. I was originally a classically trained vocalist which gives a deeper appreciation for all types of mus
Overall: This was my first Fender purchase and I must say that the craftsmanship is outstanding and the tones produced incredible. Before this Fender I owned other bass guitars that actually pale in comparison. I guess part of the reason was the expense of these basses. If you are on a limited budget Fender's may seem out of reach. However, with zZounds pay as play plan I was able to get this bass and truly enjoy it. The other basses I own I am selling. Take advantage of this plan and realize your dreams of owning the bass you want. Excellent job Fender MIJ!

"Pretty much the only bass you'll ever need." submitted December 11, 2006

Music Style: Progressive metal, if there were such a thing
Sound: This thing sounds fat. It's like having 2 fender basses in one tiny body (let's face it, how much do we use the neck p/u on our jazzes?). The light basswood body combined with the ...maple? top makes it nice and bright, but still fat (read: good for slapping). The single coils can be noisy (doy), no better or worse than any other single coils. Active electronics would have been nice, but that's really just wishfull thinking. Feature: Again, active pups/preamp would've been a nice touch, but no biggie. The whole thing is black, which is awesome: black body, black neck, black pups, black knobs, black hardware. The question is, how much more black could it be? None, none more black (sorry, spinal tap reference) Ease of Use: Um, plug it in and play it. If you can't figure that out, I can't help you. As far as playability, it feels like butter, even a little better than a standard Jazz I think. Like many things and people from Japan, this bass is small and light. That's a good thing here, because you can play for hours on end without any funky shoulder cramps. Quality: The problem I have with basswood guitars is that they're made of basswood. It's not exactly the most ...robust wood out there; if you drop it on a hard surface, it's gonna leave a mark. That said, if you're prone to dropping guitars, maybe you shouldn't spend $650 on one. As far as "fit and finish", all the examples I've seen are good, all the parts were attached firmly (a remarkable feat in and of itself, especially at some of the guitar stores I go to) and the binding was even, with few masking issues. The paint is typically exceptional (I suppose it'd be hard to mess up gloss black, but I've been surprised before). It is prone to fingerprints (another doy), but it shouldn't wear through or anything weird. Value: It's better than the Squiers, not as good as the American Fenders. Definitely better than Soundgears (or is it just "SGR" now?) in its price range. I'd say it's on-par with, if not a little better than, the Mexi-Fenders. Whether the Aerodyne body and paint job are worth the upcharge, I guess that's an individual thing. Manufacturer Support: It's a Fender. You probably won't run into any problems with it; if you do, they're easy to get a hold of. Upgrades should be fairly easy, save for finding hardware in smoked chrome. Fenders have the most aftermarket parts available, making this bass the most upgradable Japanese product that isn't a Honda Civic. The Wow Factor: The carved body is really quite sexy. Personally, though, I must say I like something a bit chunkier in a bass. That's just me though, it still thumps with the best of 'em. Overall: If you like how it looks, you'll love it. That's just it. If you end up not liking the pickups, you can have them changed out. If you get it, you won't be sad. Unless in buying it you miss a mortgage payment, but I guess that would be with any bass.

"Fender Through and Through!!!!!" submitted February 15, 2013

By Paschal C in Markham, IL
Musical Background: I have played professionally about 40 years
Music Style: Rock, R&B, Jazz, Pop
Overall: Just got my Fender Aerodyne J Bass and first I want to say that it is absolutely beautiful, the fit and finish is such that I would have paid the $11000 dollar price tag without any hesitation. The tone is superb and the pickup configuration allows you to dial up some serious sound! The neck plays true and smooth J bass all the way. All I can say is that this bass is Fender through and Through!!!!! I have 4 basses from zZounds, and you guys hit it out of the ballpark every time!

"Love it!" submitted March 12, 2013

By Mike V in Dallas, TX
Overall
Musical Background: About 3 years, bass guitar, just getting out to meet with gigging bands
Music Style: 90's grunge, 80's classics
Overall: Great guitar. I have been playing Ibanez so the Fender's jumbo frets take a little getting used to. But now that I have spent time on it, it is really easy to play. The tone is amazing and the controls really have a lot of flexibility in the sound, without a pedal! had never held one no one keeps them instock, but I am very pleased with my "sight unseen" purchase. I really liked dealing with Zzounds as well. Great customer service and shipping was less time than Spence at Zzounds had estimated. Great all-around experience.

"A definate must have for any bass player." submitted October 14, 2008

Overall
Music Style: rock, metal, hard rock, punk, basically anything with rock or metal in its name
Sound: The mix of the pbass and jbass pickups make for a great tone and sound. also you can mess around with the knobs and no matter what know that you will still get a great tone no matter the setting. Feature: sure the bass brings 2 different sets of pickups but the bass seems like it should bring a little more. dont get me wrong the cutaway body is great. and the pickups quite awesome as well. Ease of Use: the great thing about this bass is how easy it is to just pick up and start playing. the lightweight body definately is a plus as well. the neck is quite thin which is a plus for those who like messing around up and down the neck. the knobs, no matter how you mess with the settings, the tone is always great. the factory strings on them are really nice too so you dont have to go out and rush and spend more money to get new strings. you can wait a while and save up first. after all they are fender strings on there Quality: definately one of the best made basses i have picked up and played. the quality isnt as great as an exotic wood bass such as warwick or alembics or wal but its still nice. the finish is also very nice. the only complaint i have, just like very one else, is that the thing is a finger print magnet so always have a cloth on hand. the japanese definately know what theyre doing. Value: the bass seems pricey but for what it brings and the playability and the quality of the bass, it is well worth it. you buy this bass you wont need another one. i know that my other bass is going to be on its stand gathering dust for a while. Manufacturer Support: didnt need it, at least not yet The Wow Factor: I knew i had to get it and waited a year and a half to get it...best purchase of my life. Overall: very well made. amazing playability. and its extremely sexy.

"Buy it as it is a great deal at Zzounds, however you will need to customize it to your liking" submitted January 1, 2012

By a customer from cox.net
Overall
Sound: Sound is OK, probably needs Seymour Duncans to get better range Feature: Excellent instrument for the money, however the bridge was weak and rattled a bit so I changed it out with a Babicz full contact bridge. The bass now plays as smooth as a Rickenbacker for a fraction of the cost. Ease of Use: Excellent neck and the ebony fretboard rocks! Quality: Lightweight and sturdy Value: Buy it NOW

"You need this one" submitted February 27, 2014

By Manuel S in Beeville, TX
Musical Background: Bas & Guitar, 28 years
Music Style: Rock,Country,Christian, Tejano.
Overall: You've seen the other reviews, The only thing I want to say is that I'm so glad I bought this bass. I have 2 questions, do you own one and if you don't, why not?

"effort to set up?" submitted April 8, 2012

By Ray H in Midland, TX
Overall
Musical Background: playing bass in several bands of the years from bar bands, some studio and always to have a
Music Style: Blues, country, Christian, and Rock,
Overall: Of course the Aerodyne came in at a record pace thank you! I get the bass out and its clean as can be in great shape, but... its the 2nd Fender product that I've purchased in the last 6 months, that was not set up... of course I am not a pro of the set intonation so that cost me more cash! Whatís up with the bridge on this bass? Other than that the bass is fast with a great tone I really like this bass, I did play one at the local music store thatís what leads me to buy it the 1st place, but please give some effort to the set up before you ship it!!

"Fender Aerodyne Jazz Electric Bass" submitted April 6, 2014

Overall
Overall: This is a beautiful, well constructed, and great sounding Jazz Bass Guitar. I would highly recommend this purchase by anyone looking for a great Bass Guitar at an affordable price.

When you call, mention priority code 14J7-GSVV. Llame Gratis en Español: 800-460-7976