When you call, mention priority code 20B-4FH7

Rating and Reviews: Fender '68 Custom Twin

Plug into the "Vintage" channel for the rich, chiming tone of the original silverface Twin Reverb, or check out the "Custom" channel for more modern tones.

"Nothing but Good Things to Say" submitted January 20, 2015

By Victor S in San Jose, CA
Overall
Musical Background: Professional musicians and teacher. I play guitar, banjo and mandolin.
Music Style: Mostly old style country (Think Bakersfield country) and Bluegrass. I used to play Rock and things like that but not anymore.
Overall: First let me lead off by saying that this is a killer amp. Just great. I own a 1967 Silverface bandmaster and an old Masco Me27 amplifier. I've owned a Deluxe Reverb Reissue as well. I've played professionally for 10 years and have played out with a lot of different amps and different styles of music. That being said, I mostly play country and Rockabilly and that's what I bought this amp for. This amp I think is the best of the bunch. The clean sounds on this amp are just wonderful. Whats nice about this Twin is that you can play it quiet enough to use in the house and it has all the headroom you could want. It has two channels. A "Vintage" Channel and a "Modified" channel. Each channel has a volume control and a three band EQ. The effects in this amp are a spring reverb and tremelo which are global settings so both channels use them. Each channel also has a bright switch. Also the 4 6l6 drive tubes have their own little protective cage. I think that was a great touch! Vintage channel: This is the channel I spend the most time playing on. This channel has everything you would expect for a twin. It's sweet, chimey and has a powerful feel to it even at low volumes. It can throw treble and mids like nobody's business and can do it without that "icepick" sound you get from a lot of Fenders' other tube amps. You can play this amp in the house pretty without kicking up a fuss. They way the volume works is there's not a whole lot of volume from 1-3 on the volume knob. At 3, it seems to be a great daytime practice volume. After 3, the volume really starts kicking in. I would say 3.5-5 on the volume knob is going to suffice for almost all gigs. I've read this model is designed to break up early, It will start breaking up real well around 6 but at that point, I don't think its really useable. it will be just too loud! This amp is still all about cleans. Modified Channel: The channel is apparently modeled after a bassman. The channel certainly is fatter sound by nature. Nice round and warm is a good way to describe it. The channel also rounds about 5db louder than the vintage channel. I originally bought this with the intention of putting some Jensens in it. I like it so much that Im not going to switch anything out. The speakers are rates at 70 watts and a max volume of 98db.

"Fender '68 Custom Twin Reverb-Amp" submitted September 13, 2014

By Luis Abasolo in Houston, TX
Overall
Musical Background: Just jam at home for fun...
Music Style: Blues, Rock ,psychedelic.
Overall: Crisp crystal sound rugged and powerful. I have read online some comments about the reverb. Hum will go away if the tank RCA connectors face to the front of the amplifier. Mine came backwards (oops QC). All weird hum and funky noises will go away with a puff of Deoxit D5 in the tube sockets. Please be aware that there are lethal voltages present in most of the components, even though has being powered off.

"2 different amps in one" submitted January 28, 2015

By Raymond Bushrow in Port Mansfield, TX
Overall
Musical Background: Played for 45 years I've had many fenders but this ones the best
Music Style: My own music cross between blues and glitter
Overall: I've owned this amp for 8 months. I love it. One thing nobody talks about is the fact you can chain together the vintage channel and the custom channel. When you connect the two channels you have hundreds of tonal options. you have a and b channels and y which gives you all pre amp tubes running together. It's so full and it could be compared to a single coil pick-up to a humbucker pick-up can't say enough good about this feature also the longer I play it the better it sounds and the volume has gotten more sensitive as you can play at 1.2-1.5. I'm going to buy another that's how much I like it.

"Shouldn't have waited so long" submitted November 20, 2016

By Larry Moore in Gastonia, NC
Music Style: Really only at home and churches
Overall: All I can say is wow.... I play in church so I went through every review possible I was leary of a really gainy sound I love those Fender clean tones. I have only used the vintage channel once I play a 2014 Gibson Midtown Custom the custom channel is amazing and Iv yet to reach 4 on the volume usually at 3.5 where as on my 1965 Super Reverb Im at 5 to 6 .I did the 180┬░tank flip now no hum, my only complaint is that its heavy but for the sound Im getting its well worth lugging around from church to church

"Fender '68 Twin Reverb Combo Amp" submitted February 9, 2016

By Michael A in Lawrence, KS
Overall
Musical Background: Played music for 35 years. I like a little of most genres, provided they are real music. I play out occasionally. Trying to do i
Music Style: Rock, pop, jazz, experimental
Overall: It sounds... amaaaaaaazzzzzzing!!! Very happy with this amp. Haven't turned it up louder than 3 so far. It's loud as hell!! And clear, and warm, and lovely, especially when I play my strat through it;) minor issue with the cheap pedal that fender provides with it, but Zzounds made it right. Great stuff!!

"Fender 68 Custom Twin Reverb Reissue" submitted October 10, 2015

By Nathan C in Haleiwa, HI
Musical Background: Guitarist for 20 years
Music Style: Rock, Blues, Country, Latin
Overall: Although Zzounds is a really great company who have been wonderful to do business with I sadly have to give this amp a negative review. I previously ordered 2 (yes one I sent back and another as a replacement which I also sent back) 65 Deluxe reverb reissues from Zzounds and had to send them back thinking maybe there was a design or faulty component problem and opted instead for a 68 Twin Reverb reissue which I still have. The problem with all three amps has been an abnormally loud white noise in both channels even when no instrument is plugged in. It renders the amps unusable in a recording setting. I checked all tubes with no luck and tried them at various locations with properly grounded outlets. There is also a very audible AC hum introduced into the signal path when the reverb is turned on and which increases with the volume of the reverb. I know tube amps have a bit of initial hiss but this is not okay. I live on Oahu and have already incurred about 200 dollars in shipping charges trying to get this cleared up. I also went to a local music store and tried one and it had the same issues. I spoke to an amp tech on the island who told me they refused to be a Fender Authorized service center because they have seen so much of this lately. I thought new tubes would help. Bought a set of Tube Amp Doctor matched set and no luck. I contacted Fender who told me I've got to send it to another Island to get it serviced. The catch is that if the Fender Authorized tech thinks there is no problem I'm the one who has to pay the bill. So far a 1300 dollar amp has cost me with tubes and shipping over 1600 and weeks of frustration with no solution. Unfortunately I missed the 45 day return window so I'm stuck with it. What happened to Fender QC? Buyer beware on Fender Reissue amps. Thank you Zzounds for stellar service and quick turnaround. I will be buying from you again.

"68 custom twin reverb. Like the twin but with better tone!" submitted September 7, 2014

By jamie l in madrid, IA
Musical Background: 26 yrs of guitar playing. professional
Music Style: Everything. But mostly blues, hair metal, and jazz fusion.
Overall: This amp is wonderful. I've owned several tube amps and a few solid state and digital. I've played through thousands more. This has the tone of the original twin, with the addition of another channel that is in between a baseman and twin, and luscious reverb and vibrato. Handles pedals well, better than the original twin, and is more dynamic and expressive than the original twin. It kicks ass for blues, jazz, rock, country, and even metal with a distortion pedal. I got great metal tones with an ehx the glove od and a soul food od for a little more grit (only $120 total) and I have owned a triple rectifier. In short, it's like the twin but more expressive and dynamic. Great blues and rock and jazz amp and metal amp with a pedal or two. Good for country, but if you are hardcore clean country guy, the original twin is slightly brighter voiced and slightly twangy-ger. Cons: heavy, and some vintage amp thumping sounds when standby switch used, depending on the power source. But it is a vintage amp.
12 of 14 people (85.71%) found this review helpful. Did you?

When you call, mention priority code 20B-4FH7. Llame Gratis en Español: 800-460-7976