866-ZZOUNDS (866-996-8637)
When you call, mention priority code 20G-K0VS

Rating and Reviews: Fender Super Bassman Amp

Fill any venue when you plug into this powerful bass amp head. It's loaded with ten tubes, plus the helpful and revolutionary Fender Automatic Bias system.

"Powerful, thick, all tube tone" submitted March 19, 2014

By Dave H in Redmond, WA
Musical Background: Played bass and guitar for 25 years
Music Style: Southern Rock, Country and Blues
Overall: First impression - this is a big, well made tube amp with huge, warm, room filling tone. It is about 20lbs lighter than an SVT, so an easy schlep for me up two flights of stairs to my apartment. As long as you understand how the Fender passive tone stack works, dialing in a nice clean tone on the vintage channel is really easy. It is clearly a bigger, thicker and more powerful tone than the Mesa Walkabout Hybrid it was replacing. I was able to cop a reasonable SVT tone with it almost immediately, which was great. Pulling out the bass knob acts like a deep switch, which I found more usable than I would have expected, though would likely keep that feature off in a gig at volume. The thing has plenty of lows without it (and I have no use for the treble boost at all). I liked the idea of being able to switch over to a mildly overdriven and more mid-forward tone for cutting through on the more rock-oriented stuff we do. I've been able to get close to that on the overdrive channel, but there is still quite a bit more tweaking I think I need to do to get it where I want it. getting that tone has been a bit more elusive than I would like, but I'll get there. The Super Bassman has all of the features I would want on an amp. The DI is nice to have. There is an 8,4 and 2 ohm switch on the back, so you can match with different cab setups (using a small 8ohm 115 for example for smaller gigs then switch over and power two 810s on the other extreme). The auto biasing system is cool and (having dealt with cranky tube amps in the past) this brings about a certain peace of mind. On the other hand, I wonder how reliable the system itself is as well - in my experience, simpler things are sometimes more reliable. Another feature that is available on the Bassman 100T is the ability to step down the power section to lower wattages - this is really nice, but not part of the Super Bassman design. Not sure why. This amp is designed for big stages, but I suspect most hobbyists use them in clubs and smaller rehearsal venues also, so having the reduced power mode would be nice. Would be great to push the power section a bit without blowing everyone else off the stage. Finally, it's a pricey amp - but you get what you pay for I suppose. This is the kind of amp I could see holding onto for a lifetime and I think its a good investment.

"What a Beast!" submitted May 1, 2014

By David G in Alamogordo, NM
Musical Background: 24 yrs playing bass, cover bands
Music Style: Rock, Metal
Overall: This is in my opinion, the best bass amp I've ever played through! Very clear, awesome headroom, very versitle! I've tried several excellent S.S. Amps with 3 times the wattage of this tube amp and have always had trouble being heard with two Marshall half stalks drowning me out! Not any more! I find myself turning down now!

"HOLY @#$%!!!!!" submitted March 27, 2014

By Remington R in Athens, GA
Overall
Musical Background: 12 years of music lessons, I was a Music Major in College, I play piano, guitar, vocals, and BASS!
Music Style: Rock, Funk, Jam Bands, Alternative, Anything you can dance to
Overall: Just played my first gig with this head last night. I used an EDEN 410 XLT cab to go with it. WOW! This is the best amp I have heard. I back lined my bass rig so I could hear what the amp sounds like when other bands were using it, and really get the 3rd person perspective on it from the audience POV. It is soooo CLEAN. Its cuts str8 through the mix and yet it doesnt overbear and mask the rest of the band or mud things up. It hits hard when you need it and grooves when you need it. The responsiveness of this amp CANNOT be matched. You can make swells really easily just by plucking harder with your fingers/pick. Just pluck softer and you fade to the background, pluch slowly harder and it moves to the front and takes over the room. When you mute a note and are playing staccato notes it is so tight I cannot put it in words. W e have a few songs where we have a build up and a pause then cut back in then a cut to drum solo and then bass comes in, and my god the crowd cannot get enough. A quote from some rando in the crowd that yelled during our set : "But Dat Bass Though!" hahaha talk about a great feeling when the audience cant stop keeping their jaws dropped drooling all over themselves.The other bands that used this amp:Hearing it from 3rd person, same story. I moved around the room to see the volume and blend of the bass in the mix from different ares of the venue and it just blends right in without being a powerhouse unless the bassist was going for that and laid on his heavy thumpin. It sounds incredilble. The Clean tones on this amp are unbelievable. You cannot find a video anywhere online with a Clean tone to listen to. But let me tell you right now, THE CLEAN tone is where its at. Something about a CLEAN TUBE tone that just makes people smile. The crowd when I was moving around kept talking about how awesome the bass sounds and gave credit to the bassist on stage(granted he was pretty good), but that sound was coming from this head. It it a very full tone that cuts through like a hot knife through butter. I was curious of the overdrive tones from the crowds POV as well. I sure as %$# enjoy the overdrive tone when Im on stage or in practice but from the audience it was even cooler. It beautiful, not dirty and distorted, Im talking perfect Overdrive. You can still hear the rhythm of the bass beat even though the overdrive was cranked, It AMAZING. There was this one song where the band on stage is playing this heavy break down with the bassist doing a walkdown with Overdrive blasting, right as the reach the end of the breakdown the bassist stepped on the channel switch to get that CLEAN tone and cut through the mix with this super tasty beat. this amp is perfect.the Breakdown:-Easy to figure out, yet endless possibilityI figured out my tones in minutes-The Tone Control is amazingpull push pots to make the tones deeper or brighter actually make a clear as day deference in your tone. YOU CAN ACTUALLY HEAR THE DIFFERENCE. The overdrive tone is easy to figure out as well, with the gain and blend knob you set how mush grit you want with the Gain knob, then choose how much of the Grit you want to mix with your clean tone with the Blend knob-THE VINTAGE CLEAN CHANNEL ROCKSnobody talks about the Clean channel on this thing. It is AMAZING, absolutely beautiful sounding.Very responsive and tubelicious. -THE OVERDRIVE CHANNEL IS THE BEST OUT THEREGuess what you can turn the blend knob to 1 and you now have 2 CLEAN channels, the overdrive channel can also be clean. SO you can have to preset clean channels with one being super bassy and the other really treble and bright and switch with the channel switch. The overdrive tone is amazing though and I normally dont like over drive but damn it isnt ugly sounding with this amp.-Throw away your BigMuff PI you dont need it anymore-Its easy to carry, the handles are great.-The Automatic Bias Systemyou can change the Bias to make the tubes run hotter or cooler by pressing the arrows on the back of the amp until you get the desired tone. The hotter the tubes the grittier and more gain sounding you get, the cooler the tubes are the cleaner your tone gets. AND you have a total of 10 different levels of Bias to choose from.-I cannot say enough about this amp, just go buy one and stop shopping around.YOU HAVE FOUND YOUR AMP. THE SEARCH IS OVER.
10 of 11 people (90.91%) found this review helpful. Did you?

"Just plain awesome!" submitted April 1, 2015

By Tim U in Huntsville, AL
Musical Background: been playing bass for 28 years, gigging on weekends thing
Music Style: classic rock, metal
Overall: Absolutely love this amp! The tonal varieties are endless with the 2 channels. Vintage side is clean and crisp. Overdrive is very smooth. Both channels have all the lows you require. Love the silent recording option with the DI out. This thing seems built like a tank! Yes, it is 65 pounds, but that is to be expected from an all tube bass head. I believe it is going to become my main head for playing live. The auto bias system seems to work perfectly, we will see how it is when some tubes finally begin to wear out. I give the manufacturer support a four star only because I've never needed it yet, but wanted to give benefit of the doubt towards the positive.

"Muscle Car of Bass Amps, The SuperBassman 300." submitted December 2, 2015

By Werd Nilknarf in St Louis, MO
Overall
Musical Background: Everyday Use.
Music Style: Funk/Soul, Jazz, Rock, AfroBeat.
Sound: This amp sounds so similar to the original 60's amps when i played them side by side i was blown away. The features like the obvious lighter weight, tube bias with warmer/cooler setting controls...The tube "cpu" system letting you know wether or not the tubes are wearing out...choices of 2-OHM, 4-OHM & 8-OHM switch, the onboard Direct Out has had major festival sound crews surprised as well as happy with the Super Bassman's performance... Paired with the Bassman 610 it feels perfect on the stage, perfect studio sessions...Even had true old schoolers convinced i was playing the original Fender combo from the time its originally from. Feature: Love the Tube "cpu" for on the fly tube monitoring as well as on the fly biasing adjustments. Standby switch, Main speaker shut off (silent mode for recording is P E R F E C T!) The pull mute on the master volume is nice, love having two channels...The onboard "vintage" overdrive function opens lots of tonal advantages & adds to your color pallet during solos if you boost...great to play lines overdriven during others solo's...included footswitch is very valuable. Ease of Use: If you're new to playing tube amps, i recommend reading the manual. Otherwise, just have fun finding the EQ you like most. Quality: Mine has traveled the entire midwest in a car or trailer & its Still holding up looking darn near brand new after 3+ years of use, constant loading in & out. Works just fine in the southern heat as well as the harsh winter. No dirty pots or fuzzy volume levels... No complaints. Value: If you're looking to step into the vintage world tone wise but aren't looking for the hassle of vintage gear upkeep...this is the way to go. Perfect Amplifier for anything Funk/Soul/Latin/AfroBeat/Jazz/Rock'n'Roll Manufacturer Support: Haven't had to deal with anything going wrong with this Amplifier OR the speaker. SWR new ideas combined with existing Fender classic tone makes an amazing modern day improvement on what is otherwise classic perfection. The Wow Factor: The aesthetic is nailed when The acts of yesteryear are impressed as well as the pro's of modern times...You're golden. Overall: The sound & aesthetic is what i would call "Currently Vintage". Very Reliable. Cant run out of Headroom.

"The End-All, Be-All Tube Head for Bassists" submitted April 20, 2016

By David M in Buffalo, NY
Overall
Musical Background: I've played bass for over 10 years now both on the stage and in the studio
Music Style: Alt/synth rock
Overall: Let me start off by saying that I am a pick player. I only ever play a precision bass with a pick, and I have been on a quest to find the best bass head that would get me that punchy mix I need. I have quite literally tried every high end head available. Ampeg Svt Classic, Ampeg Vintage Reissue, Orange AD200B, even the Aguilar DB751. Each one of these were great and they had something distinct about them but they had me missing something. The Fender Super Bassman 300 fills all gaps. It is powerful like an Ampeg, ballsy like the Orange, and has that ability to cut right through the mix like an Aguilar. The two channels allow this head to be the most versatile amp on the market for a bassist. I gave the ease of use factor just under a perfect score as I am not too accustomed to EQ'ing the passive tone stack of the Vintage channel. The overdrive channel is active tone stack and it is so incredibly simple to dial in any tone you want. Speaking of the overdrive channel- the built in overdrive on this head is better than ANY overdrive pedal. You will lose ZERO low end when the drive is engaged. It's a beautiful thing. When I purchased a brand new Ampeg SVT Classic the tubes blew after 5 months. I take incredible care of my amps (always warming and cooling tubes, making sure things are biased). This amp literally takes care of itself with the auto-biasing feature. It gives me an incredibly piece of mind knowing the amp is always biased and ready to play. It comes with a footswitch AND a speaker cable which I think was awesome of Fender to include. THE ONLY PROBLEM with this amp is that everything else you do in your life will suck because you'll wish you were playing it while you're at work. Please buy this head.

"It Almost Made Me Cry" submitted December 10, 2015

By Barnabas Collins in Los Angeles, CA
Musical Background: Pro......40-year vet
Overall: I received this head about a week ago and just played through it today. The reason for the delay was I was waiting on a Fender Neo 410 to connect this head into that just arrived today via FedEx......I am getting a second Fender Neo 410 as well and should have the second cab in about a week.I cannot even comprehend how ridiculously awesome this head is.I plugged my '75 Jazz reissue into it with PJ pickups and steel strings. With a pick or with fingers I can get instant Squire, Geezer, and 70's Wetton tones from it. It can cop an SVT tone easily plus much more. Both channels are brilliant.I'm thankful to now have this rig. Again, I can't even imagine what this will be like with the second Neo 410. When I say "it almost made me cry" I am not joking.....I haven't even plugged my beloved Precision into it yet (my main bass) and I am already completely blown away. Floored. The GK head and Ampeg 810e I had was great....but this is an entirely new tonal realm. I will update this review when the second cab arrives and when I have had a chance to play through the whole rig loud with my band and see how everything sits in the mix.....But let it be known ....that from the initial plug-in.....this amp.....IT ALMOST MADE ME CRY.....

"So much headroom!" submitted February 15, 2016

By Zach Palmer in Plano, TX
Overall
Musical Background: I've played guitar and bass for 10 years. Recorded and toured with multiple bands.
Music Style: Currently playing Shoegaze, Post-Punk, Experimental, and Dreampop
Overall: I bought one of these almost two years ago and sold it to get a new amp, but instantly got seller's remorse. This thing is just too good not to keep around. It's loud, full, punchy, and has a sophisticated self-biasing circuit that is just so helpful. It weighs more than I'd like but we break our backs to get tube tone right? The EQ is very tweakable (even if the mids section is a bit confounding to me). I've used it for both guitar and bass and it really shines for both (although I prefer for guitar strangely enough). It's got more headroom than anyone would really know what to do with so it's really clean on guitar and bass (on the vintage channel). The overdrive channel has a surprising amount of gain on it (I wasn't expecting much because it was a Fender but man, this thing rips if you want it to). The only problem I had with the first one was that it had an issue where the biasing circuit ribbon cable was badly crimped so it was essentially DOA. I took it to a repair shop and fixed it, but it was annoying to have to deal with that out of the box.

"Best amp " submitted February 1, 2016

By Tony P in San diego, CA
Overall
Musical Background: 16 years as a musician, gigs, tours.
Music Style: Punk, d-beat, crust, also death metal, jazz.
Overall: Great sound, overdrive channel beats sansamp to my ears, loud, vintage channel sounds like a real bassist is playing hehe, the only thing is that u have to sit down and mess with the amp, you won't get it at the first try, but you'll start falling in love with it more and more, i truly recommend this amp.

"The Best" submitted October 29, 2015

By John Peters in Palatka, FL
Musical Background: 22 years weekend warrior
Overall: Wow... very impressed. The sound it thick and heavy... clean to crunchy. The perfect tone I've been looking for. Ridiculously loud... all the headroom. I can't imaging a better bass amp. Build quality is very solid and detailed. By far my favorite amp so far in my 22 years of playing. I'm not going to try to explain the tone further as it won't do it justice. Also 20lbs. lighter than the SVT. And more tonal options.

866-zZounds (866-996-8637)
When you call, mention priority code 20G-K0VS. Llame Gratis en Español: 800-460-7976

Seen it for less somewhere else? Get it for less at zZounds. Simply click the “Seen it for less?” link on any product page and as long as we‘re not losing money, we‘ll beat any legitimate competitor‘s lowest price, usually within two hours. Want our best price even faster? Call us at 866-zZounds (866-996-8637), and we‘ll provide you with a lower price on the phone. Also, if you purchase from us and later find the product for less elsewhere, call or email us within 45 days, and we‘ll refund you the difference.

Buy it, try it, like it, or return it to us for a full refund. It‘s just that simple. If you‘re not in love with what you bought, return it to zZounds within 45 days, and we‘ll promptly arrange for an exchange or a refund. No hassles. No hidden charges. And if a product‘s defective or damaged, call us at 866-zZounds (866-996-8637), and we‘ll email you a prepaid shipping label so you can easily return it to us at zero cost to you.

Simply click the Seen it for less? link next to the gear you want or call us at 866-zZounds (866-996-8637)