When you call, mention priority code 176X-429Y

Rating and Reviews: Fender '65 Princeton Amp

A faithful recreation of a classic, the '65 Princeton Reverb is a fantastic amp for recording, with 15 watts of all-tube glory through a Jensen C10R speaker.

Overall

"Fanfreakingtastic, and with the right pedals, a versatile amp!" submitted September 27, 2013

By Jordan S in Westland, MI
Overall
Musical Background: 1 year of self taught guitar.
Music Style: 80's Metal, Metalcoreish stuff, Surf, Funk, Classic Rock, Alternative, Electronic, HipHop... just to name a few
Sound: The sounds this amp can produce are nothing short of spectacular. The barebones clean tone is crystal clear and sounds good, but if you load up on the amp's reverb and tremolo, you can get a very haunting, bone chilling sound... I absolutely love it. When it comes to distortion, unless you use pedals for that, you're gonna wanna steer clear of this amp. This amp was designed for clean tone players. However, I'm addicted to distortion so I got an MXR Fullbore pedal for my fix. The Princeton takes it VERY well and after doing some tweaking to the pedal and amp setting, I can get a monster metal tone. Feature: The reverb and tremolo sound fantastic! The footswitch however, it sucks. It will not let you toggle the reverb and tremolo on simultaneously. Well, actually, I can, but the result is a pulsating and horrible sound coming from the speaker. It's only a footswitch issue, because I've found out two things. The reverb and tremolo can be used together and not make that awful noise without the footswitch, and I also took my footswitch to Guitar Center to see if the same thing would happen... which, it did. It's not a big problem because I'm not gigging at the moment, but I will have to get it solved before I find a band. Ease of Use: There's 6 knobs. That's it. Very easy to dial in a sparkly clean tone. Distortion pedals can make it become a fire breathing dragon if need be. The amp takes effects nicely. Quality: Besides the faulty footswitch, a very finely made amp. The shiny, silver grill perfectly sums up the tones you get - squeaky clean, sparkly, and beautiful. The overall color scheme is great too. It's not super heavy either. It is a little chunky, but certainly not a gorilla. It should be very simple to transport! Value: I definitely believe it's worth 1000 dollars. The tones and styling are fantastic. I chose this one over the Deluxe because the Deluxe has a little more low end. I prefer my cleans with less low end. Manufacturer Support: I called Fender today about the footswitch. I was on hold for 20 minutes. I hung up. Dang you, Fender. At least the footswitch isn't needed for my playing at the moment. The Wow Factor: It's just so dang sexy... and it sings. My dream amp is a Marshall JCM800. When I finally acquire that and the 1960, this 65 Princeton Reverb will sit along side them. Overall: I believe that this amp is THE amp for clean players. If you're a distortionist (like me), I encourage you to explore clean tone territory. You'll quickly fall in love with clean tones after playing with this baby. Don't worry though, fellow disters. With a good pedal, this amp can give you an insane dirty tone.

"A Great Little Amp that does exactly what its supposed to" submitted December 26, 2011

Overall
Musical Background: 40+ years of guitar. Play with a regularly gigging band, your basic 4 piece rock outfit.
Music Style: All styles of rock, blues, alt
Sound: As billed, the sound is tremendous.Just what I expected. Great sweet spot at volume around 5, beautiful breakup, great vibe. Have used for band practice and at small gigs. 2 of my band mates have original late 70s silverface Princetons - both are in good shape and sound good, but this one beats them both. Plays well with pedals. Feature: Its the basics. Thats why I bought it. Ease of Use: Just dial it in. Easy to find that sweet spot with both single coils and humbuckers. I have a variety of Strats, they all sound fantastic. Have played a couple of Les Pauls and a Mira through it as well, nice sound. Quality: Looks to be very well made. Value: This is exactly what I was looking for, at a great price point. Manufacturer Support: Nio reason to call. Overall: This amp will be a permanent part of my rotation for a long time to come. Would replace it in a heartbeat of it were gone.
22 of 23 people (95.65%) found this review helpful. Did you?

"A Faithful Reproduction" submitted November 4, 2012

By Jeff C in Kyle, TX
Musical Background: Hobby
Music Style: Slide guitar/blues
Overall: The amp is really clean below about 6 and after that you get the breakup that you want sometimes. Fortunately, that 16 watts is loud. However, that is rather unfortunate as well, since my neighbors do not appreciate fine music when they hear it. But with a Tube Screamer on it, it sounds fine and not as loud. Overall, it is one of the better amps you can buy today. If you gig, just put a mic in front of it. Very light and portable.

"This amp is perfect. Exactly what I was looking for. " submitted June 25, 2013

By David L in Cantonment, FL
Overall
Musical Background: Guitar player for 20+ years.
Music Style: Blues, Jazz, Rock
Overall: I used to play through a Fender Blues Deville 4 x 10. As a bedrooom practice amp that 60 watt 4 x 10 was too much and I was never completely satisfied with the sound it produced so I sold it and purchased this Princeton Reverb. It was the right move! This amp is super responsive and sounds awesome! Unlike the old Blues Deville, it's easy to adjust the volume to just the right level. I did replace the speaker with an Eminence Patriot Ragin Cajun. I made this decision based on reviews that this speaker would break up a little later than the stock speaker and offer more bottom end. I prefer the smooth distortion offered by my tubescreamer pedal to actually overdriving the stock speaker. This amp is super responsive and sounds wonderful. It's just the right physical size too. I have it up on an amp stand that tilts it back so it plays towards me. I have a renewed interest in playing my guitar now!

"Ok amp, but not worth the money" submitted April 27, 2014

By J Bernard M in Saint Louis, MO
Musical Background: Professional with 40+ years of experience
Music Style: All types.
Overall: I already have a Deluxe Reverb reissue and love it. I was looking for another smaller amp for rehearsals and small venues. Thought I'd try out the Princeton. The weight is reasonable (34 lbs), and under a rehearsal applications it is great. Taking it out on even a small gig really stresses the amp to the max. I could have mic'ed it through the PA and I think it would have been OK, but I wanted to see what it could do. All in all, the amp is well built and good sounding, but I don't think it's worth the price tag that Fender is placing on it. I should list at least 30 - 40% less than they're trying to sell it for. I actually tried buying the amp twice. With the first purchase the reverb was not working, and had to return it. The second purchase, they sent the amp with a 'cheap-o' cover that didn't even fit the amp snugly. Fender claimed it was 'the cover' that came with the amp, but I beg to differ. The first amp I bought had a real nice, heavy duty, tight fitting cover. The second amp did not have the same cover as the first. Anyway, it didn't matter. I returned the amp. Bottom line: good amp but way over-priced. If you plan on using it for anything other than studio or rehearsal, this is not the amp for you. You should just go with the Deluxe Reverb instead. I eventually returned the amp and bought a brand name solid state amp (CUBE 80GX) for my rehearsals. The CUBE doesn't have the tone quality of a Fender re-issue all tube amp, but it will do as a rehearsal amp and back-up amp. I'll also use that amp if my Fender Deluxe happens to be in the shop or something.

"For clean players not heavy metal heads." submitted October 15, 2010

By a customer from excite.com
Musical Background: guitarist
Music Style: blues rock jazz
Sound: The tremelo/vibrato effect sounds like a chorus if dialed in correctly-- speed on 5 and intensity on 3. Not a lot of volume but lots of presence and sustain. Humbucker and EMG guitars go into input 2 while the input on the left is reserved for single coils, this keeps the amp as clean as possible. Sounds great with my :es Paul copy-- ESP 401 with the Seymour Duncan pickups.
22 of 24 people (91.67%) found this review helpful. Did you?

When you call, mention priority code 176X-429Y. Llame Gratis en Español: 800-460-7976