When you call, mention priority code 1643-PMJ8

Rating and Reviews: Deluxe Active Jazz Bass V

Classic styling meets 5-string versatility in the Deluxe Active Jazz Bass V, with a modern C-shaped neck and active electronics for precise tone-sculpting.

"Worth every penny....." submitted March 9, 2008

Musical Background: Active Hobbyist Musician
Music Style: country,rock,blues,oldies,Cajun,Tex-Mex
Sound: This bass is a tone monster !! It has a deep bass tone but also good highs & a great mid range.After to you learn the controls it's very easy to dial in the sound your looking for.Lots of volume from this monster. I play through a SWR Working Pro 15 & between the amp & the guitar I can cover a wide range of musical styles & sounds.The pickups & electronics are very quite & very responsive. I bought my used(a 1999 model)& it had some old strings on it & once I replaced them with some DR Lo-Riders it really came alive. Feature: As I said I bought this bass used & got a hard-shell case with mine,but hey at least they include a gig bag. It's no-sense bass every feature has a purpose. All materials & parts are very good quality.My bass is almost 10 yrs old & everything still works great & the bass is very solid. I the option of a maple finger board would be cool.I think it would look really cool since the head stock is maple. Ease of Use: With some experimenting you can make this bass sound like a P bass or get that nasty J bass growl or a combo of both,a deep dark heavy metal bass,a bright pop style bass or a funk machine. If you're expecting that slim J bass neck your in for a surprise,it has a pretty wide neck but not uncomfortable.A person with smaller hands may have some fatigue after a long gig & it's pretty heavy.It's a "Real Man's " bass.(LOL) I have 2 other 5 strings (Dean fretless & an older Peavey)that have slimmer necks,but not as wide as my Washburn 6 string.Don't let that be something that keeps you from buying this bass. Quality: OK some people are guitar snobs & think that anything but a USA Fender is junk,they're wrong.This MIM is a very well crafted instrument & should last you a lifetime with proper care & handling.Mine(a 99') has spent a good portion of it's life in a case(until now,it's out gigging every weekend)& the finish still looks brand new.It's finish is flawless,very deep & very shiny.The neck is smooth as silk. Stay in tune very well.I'm not sure about the factory strings that are on it,I'm sure they're quality Fender strings,but a set of DR Lo-Riders Value: I bought my used from a friend for a great price but I believe this bass is well worth the cost of a new one.It's a great way to own a Fender Jazz bass for half the cost of a USA model. The US made electronics are a hidden feature that only add to the value. Manufacturer Support: Haven't had to use it but it a FENDER so it's gotta be good. The Wow Factor: I have the Candy Apple Red & it's dead sexy !! I get compliments on the look & the sound of the bass from fellow musicians & people in the crowd.This is my 6th bass in my "Bass Arsenal" & quickly becoming a favorite. If you're looking to make the leap to a 5 string or just looking for a good quality bass to gig with that won't break the bank this may be your bass. Overall: I wasn't really looking to by another bass when my friend showed this one to me.But after seeing it & playing it I think I would have tried to go get one if this one hadn't been for sale. I play in a country,rock,blues,Cajun & Tex-Mex band so having a wide vary of sounds at my finger tips is a great benefit to me. We play around 100 gigs a year,so I use my equipment it's not just to hang it on the wall & look at it.I'm sure this bass will be a warrior. PROS: awesome sound,wide variety of tones,great color,finish & good hardware,lots of boom for your buck CONS: pretty heavy & the neck is just a little wide(but not that bad)
43 of 44 people (97.73%) found this review helpful. Did you?

"Awesome instrument for the price" submitted April 6, 2012

By Zach Rouse
Musical Background: Bass for 9 years, have played upright bass and viola
Music Style: Mostly metal, but I enjoy playin funk, classic rock,and some other styles
Overall: I just bought this bass recently taking a shot in the dark and boy I couldn't be happier with it, plays fantastic, I got the sunburst finish, the picture they have on here is wrong go on fender and you will see that it has red in between the wood color and the black edges. Don't assume this thing has a smooth classic tone, it can if you want but I play alot of metal and funk and such and this thing sounds 10 times more aggressive then my Ibanez SR-506 ever has the output this thing has is absolutely ridiculous, I keep the volume bout 3/4 up because if you turn this thing up max it overdrives the amp this thing will do anything you want and yea I don't know the tone has got to be the most agresssive I have ever had the pleasure to play on . I am planning to put some differnt strings on though, but I am a stainless fan so if u like nicklewound you might like the fender strings the action is pretty good, I tweaked mine a bit I like lower action. the finish is deep and just gorgeous , every one who sees compliments me on the look of it, I am really loving it so far. Somthing they don't mention is that it has actually gotoh brand tuners very very fine tuning . sooo but it u will not be dissapointed

"Str8 Beast(for real)" submitted August 26, 2010

Music Style: Gospel
Sound: This bass is the TRUTH. From the moment I plugged in, I could feel the magic. It has a very commanding sound, but can still mellow down with a smooth jazz feel. This bass really covers all the fields. I thought it was just an advertisement, but it really is what they say it is. BEAST

"In love Again!" submitted December 23, 2013

By Jonathan P in Carrollton, GA
Overall
Musical Background: I have been playing music for 12 years. bassist/drummer. I do play professionally, jam and teach.
Music Style: Gospel, R&B, Rap, Country, Jazz, Rock
Overall: I purchased this bass in a sunburst years ago. I got rid of it because I had no idea what I was getting rid of. More of my gigs required a particular sound and I had a light bulb moment in knowing what I needed. A Fender Jazz bass. I got this bass in 3 days of ordering. It was shipped well and I was extremely pleased with the customer service and overly pleased at the sound I was trying to reproduce once I plugged in right out of the box!!! I had a simple setup performed by my guitar technician and when I plugged it in again, I fell in love again! For the gigging musician as myself, this was the best choice in giving my employers what they wanted to hear. There is nothing like a Fender Jazz. The Deluxe series is such a great choice because it gives all the perks of having a fine well built instrument without the worry of PAYING for it! I would recommend this product to beginners as well as seasoned professionals if they need quality, great feel, and intriguing sound!

"Fender Jazz 5 string MIM Bass" submitted July 1, 2012

By Chuck B in Petersburg, WV
Musical Background: 45 Years, Professional, I jam everywhere. Working Bassist
Music Style: Classic Rock, Southern Rock, Funk, Blues,Country, etc
Overall: Quality Bass. Plays remarkable smooth and tone is really nice. Fret board is smooth and the fretwork is very well inlaid. No rough edges.Bass is very well balanced and I have read reviews that the Bass is really heavy. Previously I played a Sterling Ray 35 and that Bass is heavy.NOT the Fender. Set up and play-ability out of the box was great and ready to play. The only down fall was the gig bag that came with the Bass. The zipper was broken. A quick call to Fender support plus I sent pics of the damage bag and Fender promptly Fed Ex an upgraded gig bag. I am pleased with my purchase and the Fender Jazz 5 gets plenty of work.

"Jazz Deluxe 5 string" submitted May 9, 2014

By Mark F in San Angelo, TX
Musical Background: been playing around 45 years, semi pro
Music Style: Everything but hayseed so-lonesome-on-the-saddle-since-my-horse-died traditional mindless country. Always end up with a progress
Overall: I got this as a "blemished", and there is a flaw in two places in the antique white finish at the bottom. I actually couldn't find it at first. After tightening the truss rod 3/4 turn to get the neck laser flat so that the strings all have a slight buzz if you really come on to them to get that Chris Squire/Geddy Lee/Billy Sheehan kind of response i have only been able to get from my 76 Rickenbacker until now. The voicing seems pretty even if you roll off the bass on the amp a lot. Sounds great with an overdriven tube amp - nice and defined.

"An absolute Tone monster" submitted October 1, 2013

By Christian D in Reseda, CA
Musical Background: Solo artist
Music Style: Rock, funk-rock, R&B
Overall: I had to research several basses before ultimately deciding on this one, and I don't regret it even more a moment. I like to play a lot of different styles ranging from Funk to hard rock so I needed something with the versatility to allow me to do so on a tight budget. This bass has definitely won me over in that department. Aside from the active pickups to allow you to truly own your sound, the bass is just beautiful. When I first pulled it out of the box I couldn't help but stare in admiration at the ebony finish and the beautiful red pickguard. At the price you're not going to find a better five-stringer, so give this baby a shot. And don't be fooled by the Mexican made bit, this baby easily stands with it's American (more expensive) counterpart. The only thing I wish this bass had was more frets, but it's not a necessity just more options never hurts.

"Very satisfied with bass." submitted October 24, 2010

Music Style: contemp Christian
Sound: Have had about a dozen basses ranging in price from $100 to $1200 and this bass is the best sounding bass I have ever had my hands on. I only rate it as an 8 because I have heard some $3000 basses and they would rate a 9 or 10. But in this price range it would be hard to beat this bass as far as tone. The nioseless pickups along with the 3-band EQ that is installed are really much more dynamic than any bass I have ever owned. The B string even sounds good and clear as long as I use heavy guage bass strings. This cuts down on the floppyness. Had tons of compliments on this bass when I switched from a higher end Traben bass to this one. Feature: again in this price range this bass is hard to beat. has lots of features. 3 band EQ, 4 ply pickguard, noiseless pickups sound really good, super piant job, tuners are rock solid. I only have 2 quams with this bass. It needs to be a 35" scale not a 34" scale. And the battery compartment. It really would help if it weren't only accesable with a screwdriver. Ease of Use: very easy to get any tone out of it you are looking for. Quality: in this price range it is hard to beat Value: do I need to say it again? in this price range it is hard to beat. Manufacturer Support: havent had to use them Overall: I dont ever plan on selling this bass. If I do anything I might one day purchase an American Fender Deluxe 5 string in a natural finish.

"Awesome Bass!" submitted November 27, 2013

By P Da Playa A in Montross, VA
Musical Background: semi pro bass playa for 40 plus years,
Music Style: Funk, R&B, Gospel, Hip Hop, & Jazz
Overall: This is for all the Fender lovers out there, I wanted the American Deluxe badly so I went to the music store to compare the two and here it is. If you're looking for style & classic beauty by all means go American, but if your main focus is sound & tone the MIM blows the American out of the water. I went to 3 different stores in 2 days and the results were the same, major difference in the sound. I,m in the process of customizing this one to look American, but keep that awesome sound!

"The Greatest bass ever." submitted July 11, 2011

Music Style: Gospel, R&B
Sound: This bass is off the chain. It's by far the best sound I've heard out of a 5 string bass. I've played musicman, Ibanez and lots more. None compare to the Fender. Feature: The bag wasn't the quality that I would have liked, but it will do until I can buy another one. Ease of Use: Very easy. Quality: The Fender is very well made. I bought the vintage white and it's beautiful. This guitar will last a lifetime. Value: They meet the price of another competor and beat them by 25.00. Manufacturer Support: Haven't needed them. Thank God. The Wow Factor: The color is beautiful, vintage white. Overall: I don't think I will ever need another bass.

"Great Bass, decent price, excellent quality." submitted November 9, 2011

Music Style: Country, Gospel
Sound: Great Bass, excellent sound, lots of volume on the low B. I didn't give it a ten, simply because I'm sure there are better. For the price though, it is a great bass and excellent sound. Oh yeah, this bass has great sustain. It blows my mind how great the sustain being a bolt on neck. Feature: LOVE the 3 band EQ on this bass. It is the most comprehensive eq I've seen on any bass yet, and is very responsive. I pretty much set my amp on flat and just use the guitar controls to dial it in. Ease of Use: Very easy to dial in whatever sound you want. Quality: Again, there could be better, but I have never owned one or played one if there is. This is a rock solid guitar folks. Solid build, haven't noticed one single flaw. Value: I never though I would spend this much on a bass, but here I am, and I am glad I did. This bass is worth every penny spent. Manufacturer Support: The best support is the one you never have to use, so Fender gets a two thumbs up on this one. The Wow Factor: Not sure how to answer this one. It is a great looking bass, and since I chose its color from the 5 offered, obviously I like it. Overall: I will probably keep this for a long time. Very satisfied.

"PLEASANTLY SURPRISED!" submitted October 18, 2011

Music Style: C&W, Country Gospel, Contemporary Christian
Sound: Great sound, and that low B is very tight and solid unlike the 20 or so other basses I tried out. Love it. Feature: Not a lot of features...features smeatures. Who needs features. It's a bass. I do really like the 3 band eq. You can dial in a VERY wide range of sounds with very little ease, and it's pretty straight forward and easy to get there. Ease of Use: The only thing to really learn is the 3 band EQ, and like I said, it's straight forward and very responsive. Quality: Seems to be made very well. I may upgrade the bridge someday, but for now it's good. Finish is top notch, Fit of all components is great. Love the tuners. The B stringer tuner is a bit touchy, but you get used to it. I think it's just the nature of a B string. Value: I would say definitely so. Although it's more than I've ever spent for a guitar, it's well below the MIA versions, and IMO is so close to the same quality that the MIM is a much better value. Not sure if it's worth the $500 increase over my Squire Jazz, but hey, I got an extra string, 3 band eq, active electronics,and the word "Fender" on the head stock. Manufacturer Support: Haven't needed their help, but overall, it's Fender. They didn't aquire their reputation on not taking care of customers. The Wow Factor: To me, it just wreaks of sexiness (how's that for an image). Seriously, this is a nice looking bass. I'll definitely be keeping a close eye on this thing. Hopefully, the chicks will dig it. :-) Overall: Pretty sure I'll have this thing in my arsenal for a LONG time. It does have me wanting to upgrade my amp now. I like my Rumble 350, but it would sure sound sweet through a Markbass amp. I may change to flat wounds and possibly a beefier bridge, but other than that, I won't change a thing.

When you call, mention priority code 1643-PMJ8. Llame Gratis en Español: 800-460-7976