When you call, mention priority code 1736-NV3Z

Rating and Reviews: Fender Jim Adkins JA-90

Designed by Jimmy Eat World guitarist Jim Adkins, this Fender Telecaster Thinline guitar has a maple neck, ash body, and Seymour Duncan pickups.

Overall

"Jim Adkins ... Indonesia ... whatever! This is a good guitar!" submitted June 16, 2014

By Tom K in Medway, MA
Overall
Musical Background: Part-time professional. Started playing guitar in 1960.
Music Style: Jazz, Pop, 'Classic' Rock.
Overall: This is a Telecaster Thinline with Duncan P-90's, a tune-o-matic bridge/stop tailpiece, set neck, 24.75" scale, etc. - sort of a schizophrenic combination, but it works! I wanted a lightweight not-too-expensive solid-body to supplement my archtop and my semi-hollow, and I wanted P90's. In doing some Internet research, I not only came across this model but also saw that zZounds had a single 'blemished' model selling for 30% less that the normal price. I'd never heard of Jim Adkins and I was skeptical about a guitar crafted in Indonesia, but I pulled the trigger anyway half expecting to be disappointed and end up having to send it back. Well, I'm keeping it! The blemish was ... well I couldn't find one! (I think it was actually a customer return.) There's nothing wrong with it at all - plays good and sounds great. I went right from the stock 9's to 10's, with the only adjustments needed being resetting the intonation for the slightly heavier strings and adjusting the pickups to get three distinct balanced tonalities. The bridge, tailpiece, and tuners are cheap knockoffs of something, but they're effective enough. The pots, switch, and jack are possibly of marginal quality, but they also work fine, and considering the cost of the guitar I don't mind replacing them with CTS and Switchcraft parts down the road. The width at the nut is a tad narrow compared to what I generally prefer, but since the string spacing at the bridge is standard Gibson, it doesn't feel cramped at all. So yeah, she's a keeper! Jim Adkins ... Indonesia ... whatever! This is a good guitar!

"This guitar is a great instrument, it fills the gap between my American Special Telecaster, and my Gold Top (with P-90's). All t" submitted November 22, 2011

By a customer from embarqmail
Overall
Musical Background: I have been playing since 1963, I play in a working band.
Music Style: Blues and Rock (Rock'a'Blues)
Sound: The sound quality of this guitar is exactly what I have been looking for. The sound responds very well to my playing style, it gives me what I want, when I want it, sustain,harmonic,and controlled feed back at my command! I am a working musician with about 40 years of picking behind me,the sound of this Telecaster is very compatible with my style of playing and what the band (kingjamesandtheverses.com), calls "Rock'a'Blues"! The guitar delivers a very reliable constant voice all of it's own. You gotta remember, Where this guitar is made by Fender, and labled Telecaster, that is where the sound of a Tele' stops! Take a look at the hardware, it sings of Gibson, and being crossed with a Tele chambered body design and combination of mahogany and ash make this guitar truly a unique Telecaster. I can't say that this guitar needs any help from a effects board. When I go to open jams, and need one guitar from my "Gig Rig", this is the guitar that I take. I don't need a F/X board the tone in this guitar is excelent right out of the box!!! Feature: Being an older player, I prefer the control pot set up like you find on a Les Paul. The conrtol set up fits right into what I am use to. I couldn't find anything about the guitar that I didn't like, or couldn't find useful. The combination of the wood was outstanding, the fixed, canted neck is a real plus every time in my book. The P-90's (and they are hot!!!), have been far too under rated for far too long, they are an excelent choise for this semi-hollow/chambered guitar. The 3 possition toggle switch is also of a good quality as is the rest of the electronic hardware. an excelent combination of parts! Ease of Use: I was very impressed with the sound of this guitar as it was right out of the box. I have a Gibson Gold Top with P-90's, that I use as one of three guitars in my "Gig Rig" (the other two are an American Special Telecaster and finally the guitar being reviewed). The guitar plugged right up with into an amp set up for my Gold Top, the only thing I had to do was to turn the amp down a bit. It is an easy instrument to play right out of the box, very playable! Quality: The craftsmanship is fantastic, I have no problem with it being made out of the U.S. Whenever someone says, "Ya man, but it isn't made in the U.S.",..,all I have to think about is that it is mine, and they just wish it was theirs! I feel that this guitar will last me a life time if I take care of it. It seems to be of a very sound constuction. Value: The price that I paid for this guitar was fantastic, more guitar than I could have ever hoped for for the price. Manufacturer Support: I have only one or two complaints about the company, in that a couple of the folks in customer service had no idea of what I was talking about when trying to order a stock pick guard. However they were easy to reach, and when I finally talked to someone a bit higher up my problem was solved. I have had no mechanical or set up problem with any Fender that I have owned,to date! The Wow Factor: This Telecaster had no fight for my attention, a very appealing instrument. The design as a whole is very pleasing, it is a work horse of a guitar!!! Overall: I am very satisfied with this guitar, and feel that I would miss it badly if it were lost, stolen, or broken, I would have to replace it as fast as I could.
24 of 26 people (92.31%) found this review helpful. Did you?

"Wanted,Proffesional guitarist looking for great guitar" submitted July 16, 2011

Musical Background: musician/performer/writer/teacher/band
Sound: After looking and playing many electric guitars this is one guitar I would have not considered until I played it.After 40yrs.of playing mostly Gibson's I could never get the feel for the radius on most fender guitars.I would compare them to playing a coke bottle,narrow and difficult for me to play.After 10 min.with the JA-90 my whole attitude was changed.It is extremely easy to play with excellent action. I like the tune-a-matic style bridge which allows me to get the intonation dialed right on. The fit and finish of the instrument is outstanding,and when I saw where it was made i could'nt beleive it!The sound of the guitar is fairly versatile from country twang to heavy rock with lots of mid and upper punch.It really shows it's stuff on an all tube amp.All things considered it's a great gig guitar that has proven it's stability in action.Also,it seems to have a very good weight balance which is important when playing on stage. NICE STUFF Feature: I wish they could put a Floyd Rose on it.Great components for what I consider "JOURNEYMAN" type of instrument. Ease of Use: Very easy to obtain just about any sound I can use.The guitar is very easy to play...like melted butter! Quality: I had to order mine from the factory as my friend bought the last one in stock.It was delivered in pretty good shape but I did the final adjustments myself to tailor it to my specs.It is very dependable on the and has not given me any trouble whatsoever.I beleive it will last a very long time with proper care. Value: For the money I think this guitar is hard to top. Manufacturer Support: Have not needed support. The Wow Factor: I don't concern myself with these things. Overall: The guitar fills a need I have and I would make these decisions when the time comes
19 of 21 people (90.48%) found this review helpful. Did you?

"JA-90 Tele thinline" submitted March 9, 2012

Overall
Overall: I got the natural finish and one should note. The natural finish has a maple neck and rosewood board. The scale length on this guitar is 24 3/4- I measured it. Strings were rusted - hence black on the fingers. Input jack is loose. Otherwise a beautiful guitar. outstanding workmanship. could use a good set-up. sounds amazing !

"Innovative P-90 Tele" submitted December 3, 2014

By a customer from shaw.ca in Sault Ste. Marie, ON
Overall
Musical Background: Playing for 40 years. Love the Tele experience.
Music Style: Blues, Country, Jazz, Rock
Overall: Fender has done a good job with the JA-90 Thinline, however there are a few upgrades to recommend.The wood work, fit and finish on the natural one I purchased is top shelf; nice grain, fast neck, set in on a back angle that brings the neck closer to the player, upper sound chamber that improves acoustical character when playing un-plugged. However, Fender has used low cost economy grade electronics like selector switch, output jack and pots that will not last and which take away from the experience. The knobs are a very light weight and feeble copy of the Fender '72 Tele Deluxe "amp knob". All of these parts change out in under an hour of bench time. I enjoy my JA-90 more knowing the guitar is now a solid unit from top to bottom, inside and out.It sounds AWESOME right out of the box with the Seymour Duncan P-90 pickups!! It retains plenty of twang but adds lots of Ooomph in the mid and front pickup positions. This guitar is a bit lighter (for an ash body) with a chamber and a joy to play. Blues, country, jazz and rock; it has something to say in all styles.

When you call, mention priority code 1736-NV3Z. Llame Gratis en Español: 800-460-7976