When you call, mention priority code 1717-FTP6

Rating and Reviews: Fender Standard J-Bass

The Fender Standard Jazz Bass is a rock and roll institution. With quality construction and a Rosewood fretboard, this Fender Standard Jazz rocks.

"Fender MIM J Bass" submitted February 27, 2012

By Adam Wilson in Roswell, GA
Music Style: Rock, Jazz, Blues
Overall: Product was as expected. Not the high end wood or electronics you find in the American model, but still a great and classic sound. The action was shockingly good straight out of the box. After a new set of strings and a pro setup, this plays like its higher quality models. Great J-Bass tone at a very reasonable price. Thought about changing the pickups before I bought it, but after hearing it through my SWR/Ampeg SVT410hlf, I am very pleased with the tone. Will switch the bridge to a high mass, but that is a personal preference. Overall, much better than I expected.

"First Bass, Excellent Purchase" submitted February 24, 2012

By Mike S
Overall
Sound: After having reviewed several basses in a local guitar shop I decided to go on the Jazz Bass. I spoke with a few people about starting with an Ibanez, but the sound was no match. Glad I stuck with the Jazz Bass. Feature: I'm not sure about the difference in woods, but the Rosewood really complements the Sunburst color that I got it in. The wood feels nice, looks nice, and there are just enough bells and whistles (re: two volume knobs for the pickups and I believe a tone dial?) to keep a beginner interested and not overwhelmed. Ease of Use: As I said before, a couple of people recommended an Ibanez to me since I was just starting out. It felt plastic-y and fake, it didn't feel good in my hands and the tone was completely different. Maybe it's just me, but I'm glad I went with this bass over the Ibanez for a variety of reasons. I got a 100watt Acoustic amp and while I can't slap it fast and loose yet, the sound is incredible and I have 0 complaints even as a beginner. Quality: The product is made extremely well. It feels "real" and/or sturdy, meaning that it weighs a little more but feels solid in comparison to a few of the "entry level" Ibanez that I was shown. As it's a Fender, I assume that it's going to last a long time with the appropriate amount of care. Value: Yes. It's a little more expensive for a beginner but I have no regrets and am glad I went with this over a $200 or $300 model. Manufacturer Support: No reason to have contacted the manufacturer yet, but I would assume that the service would be immaculate. The Wow Factor: It's a Sunburst bass! I got this color because of the vintage-y feel and vibe that I got from it and am thoroughly impressed. I suppose there's a reason that Fender is and probably always will be a good name for guitar, and mine is living (sort of) proof. Overall: What is there to say about this bass that it doesn't say for itself? This is my first stringed instrument and I have absolutely 0 complaints.

"For the price, there's not much better. And upgrades are cheap and easy. Nowhere but up. Don't let the "Made in Mexico" scare yo" submitted November 15, 2011

Overall
Music Style: Rock, alt. country, Norwegian Black Metal..
Sound: OK, first off, the Mexican made Fenders are remarkably similar to their American counterparts, but (and you knew there would be a "but") the wiring in any new J bass that's not 2000 bucks is a little weak. I bought one of these and if you are just looking to have a Fender, this will do nicely. Now if you you go out and spend an extra couple hundred of bucks on a bridge (Leo Quan Badass2), new wiring, and new pickups (I put Rio Grande Muy Grande's in mine), you've got a freaking player. It's very solid, mine hold a tune until I change the strings. Don't be scared of the price, I'm just a tone snob. It'll work great for you. Feature: Hmmm, passive electronics, 2 volume and a tone knob. If you want features besides Jazz bass tone, buy something else. Ease of use?? haha. Three knobs and the truth. Ease of Use: If you have a learning curve with a passive Fender bass, it's not the bass.... Set it up properly and they're a dream. Quality: I went a little lower here because the tuners and electronics aren't top of the line. But if you're nice to it, it'll be nice to you. Value: You're getting an above average bass for $400 less because it's not "made in the USA". But it's made by American luthiers and American trained technicians using an American design. If it just makes you feel better to have "Made in the USA", go get one..sucker. Manufacturer Support: Never have had to contact Fender. 'nuff said. The Wow Factor: There is no more revered bass guitar than the Fender Jazz and Precision basses. I have worked in studios where the producer wouldn't let me use anything but a P bass. That $500 Peavey may look cool, but you're colleagues know what it is and sound men dread a hot, cheaply made active bass. You simply can't go wrong with a Fender. And again, with a little cash you can hot rod these into a s**t hot players bass. Overall: The only way I'll replace this is with a vintage one. I have achieved the sound of a '70's era Jazz bass with this one, but nothing is cooler than the old classics. You can't replicate age. But this will be my main bass for a long time. My Stingray is sad.

When you call, mention priority code 1717-FTP6. Llame Gratis en Español: 800-460-7976