When you call, mention priority code 172B-XB68

Rating and Reviews: Fender Road Worn P Bass

Built to capture the look, style, and sound of a well-loved 1950s-era instrument, this Road Worn P Bass features Fender's aged nitrocellulose lacquer finish.

"almost got it 100% right... get one!" submitted August 3, 2010

By a customer from sbcglobal.net
Musical Background: active hobbyist musician/producer
Music Style: pop,rock,country,funk, artistic
Sound: The sound of this 50s road worn Pbass is awesome IMHO... however, I changed the pickup (based on a review I read elsewhere). I crossed my fingers and put in a SeymourDuncan Antiquity pickup, as suggested by the reviewer. I am not sorry I did that. Whereas the original pickup sounded great. the seymour duncan sounds really-really great. Feature: Not many features here except for the free gigbag. The road worn look is nice. I got the sunburst model. The brass pickguard is groovy. the retro tuners are tight but really hold tuning well. The neck feels like it's on the large side, but only a fraction. I got used to it fairly quick and have adjusted (was playing basses with smaller necks before). Ease of Use: This is a very simple bass. just plug it in and play. One volume knob, One tone knob.... done. This bass is kind of a large instrument, so I would not recommend this one for small kids learning bass etc... the bass has a nice weight to it. not too heavy, and not too light either. Quality: The fit and finish are nearly flawless. The quality is fairly high. The one thing I had to do (and this is due to my guitar tech knowledge) is add another string tree (string holder-downer thingy) for the two heavy strings E and A....BECAUSE.... there was moderated string buzzing in the nut slots. holding the strings down stopped the nut buzzing. The bass comes with the standard one string tree for the D and G strings. Overall, I am very happy with the bass quality and finish. Value: I paid the full discount list of 999.99 (used the 4 payment plan). It is about the maximum I would pay. I almost wish it was more like 899 tops. However, this is ultimately a fine bass to own.... Manufacturer Support: have not used it yet for the bass. but I have asked Fender for help with other matters, and they have always come thru with answers. The Wow Factor: I would say this bass is inspiring, it has a high 'coolness' factor, in my opinion... Overall: I expect to be happy with this bass for a long while. I was collecting cheaper basses in the past (and fixing them up), but there is nothing like buying and playing a more quality instrument.

"Vintage Fender reborn?" submitted September 26, 2013

By Keith O in Rialto, CA
Overall
Sound: Vintage Fender Precision bass. Volume and tone very basic. It's a Precision!!! Lots of tone possibilities from low down thump to twangy by just by turning the tone knob. The Precision bass sits well in the mix in all kinds of musical styles. Feature: The nitro finish is very nice. The relic treatment gives the bass some character. Ease of Use: This bass has a wide neck. I would try to get your hands on one to see if it's a good fit for you. Not a good beginners bass for younger players with smaller hands. Once set up properly, the bass is very comfortable to play. Quality: Build quality is very good for a MIM Fender. Overall: I have been looking for a Precision bass to replace my old '66. Played a lot of the newer MIA and MIM models and was never quite happy with the necks on these. I'm used to the wide "c" shaped necks. Ordered a Road Worn based on other reviews. This bass felt like my old bass. The neck is very comfortable and has a worn in feel to it. The nitro finish lets the wood resonate more than poly. This bass is very light weight to, I'm guessing 8 lbs or so. I re-strung it up with flatwound strings and the tone is very old school. Factory set up was a little high so with a little adjustment the bass was playing very nice.

"Classic P bass" submitted October 16, 2013

By Anna O in Rialto, CA
Musical Background: Pro bass player 50+ years
Music Style: Americana, Blues, Jazz, Roots.
Overall: After looking at a bunch of basses we narrowed it down and found the road worn. The bass has a very comfortable neck and light weight. The 1.75 nut width takes some getting used to if have a slimmer neck, but it is not a"baseball bat". Bass has everything you could ask for in a Precision. Sounds great in a band mix. get your hands on one and check it out. I've played a lot of MIM Fenders and this one is put together very well. The factory setup was OK, but after a little tweaking, the bass plays great.

"Looking for vintage Fender Precision bass look and sound, here it is." submitted November 14, 2011

By a customer from zoho.com
Musical Background: Been palying guitar and bass sicne 1962. Pro, semi=pro
Music Style: Calssic Rock, jazz, fusion
Sound: I was an owner of an original '64 Fender P-Bass. I loved that bass, played it 'till it fell apart after 35 years. I looked for a replacement, tried everything, couldn't find what I was looking for until now. This Road Worn P-bass is awesome. It has the 'sound'. I like it better than the American Standards, as good as the original '64. I was skeptical at first, but after playing gigs, it really roars. I finally got my groove back. Feature: I give it a 10 for features. For me, it has the P-Bass sound, which is all I need. It does have an interesting tone control. It sort of has three sounds as you turn it. All forward is bright and growly, in the middle it has a 'spacey' sound(in a good way), all the way back, it is subdued like an upright. I use RotoSound Swing 66's(45-105) and they sound great. I suspect flats would work really well too. I chose the Sunburst finish, same as my original '64. I thought the 'Fiesta Red' was a little too Salmon-y. I don' recall the originals being as 'pink-ish'. Ease of Use: Plays great. The setup out of the box was good, did a little tweaking after putting on the RotoSounds. The neck is a little thinner than the original '64 and American Standards. I actually like that, makes it a little easier to play for these aging fingers. It's a little lighter in weight than Americans, which is also a plus for me. Quality: Very well made. It is definitely better than a 'Mexican' standard. Although made in the same plant, it has better materials and workmanship. The 'Road Worn' finish is thin nitrocellulose-lacquer and is very authentic and helps the tone and sustain. The worn-ness of it is a little over done, but I do get a lot of positive comments. My favorite is the cigarette burn on the headstock.....Too bad I don't smoke. Value: I'm giving it a 9, at $999 it is almost the same price as American Standards. I personally like this bass better, but it should be about $100 or so less since it is not made in CA. Manufacturer Support: Can't say, haven't had to deal with them in a very long time. That lends to the inherent quality of their guitars. The Wow Factor: Again 9 here. My attraction to this bass was not the Road Worn finish. At first I was hesitant because of the finish and Maple fretboard(my '64 had rosewood, or course). A Mexico made bass that was beat with a bicycle chain, than doubled in price, didn't make sense. But, after playing in the store, and now using it as my regular gigging bass, definitely what I want. Overall: This is the bass for me. It has the feel and sound of my original '64, but plays easier. The sound is all P-Bass and really drives the sound of my band. We play elements of jazz fusion blended with Classic Rock. I also have a Jazz bass, which now sits on a stand as a backup. I can't get away from the sound that says it all, vintage Fender Precision bass.

"True P bass sound" submitted July 13, 2014

By george j in New Haven, CT
Overall
Musical Background: I've been playing for 15 years. semi-pro.
Music Style: rock, blues, r&b, and raggae
Overall: first let me start by saying zZounds did a great job with setup and delivery. strings where tuned down which is a plus when shipping. Now for those of you who are critics of the worn distressed look and MIM, this bass looks, feels, sounds like the american made and believe me when I say, i' ve had my share of fender american made basses and this bass shares the same spot light. If you where subjected to a real blind test with this bass and a american version 90% could not tell which is the american and those who did it was a lucky guess. This bass is on point in every area of playability. It can cover any genre of music. I strongly believe you don't need a certain bass to emulate your favorite artist or genre of music you just need to horn your skills and be creative, after all, isn't that's what musicianship is all about, being creative? With that being said this bass and any bass for that matter will allow you to express yourself it's just a matter of taste and choice and this is mine. Love this bass and I definitely choice the right bass to express my creativity. The only change I plan to make on this bass is putting some La Bella Deep Talking flats on her not that anything is wrong with the stock issue I just prefer the sound of flats on a P bass other then that the PU's will not be replaced nor anything else on this bass as it delivers the sound that a P bass is suppose to convey with excellent sustain. Thanks Fender and thanks zZounds..... p.s. I rated the manufacturer at 10 not based on it's support but instead based on the fact that I have not had a problem with this bass so with that being said I guess thats a plus for me and the Fender name.

"Classic p bass sound and feel" submitted August 3, 2014

By george j in New Haven, CT
Musical Background: 14 years playing 8 of those year giging and jamming
Music Style: R&B, Rock, Blues, Reggae
Sound: The sound is truly classic and sounds like a p bass should but it doesn't pigeon hole a certain genre of music... I play R&B, Blues, Rock and Reggae and this bass delivers... as for making it sound any better, that's a matter of taste and choice. The only thing I changed was the strings and nut... Roundwound to Flatwounds everything else will remain the same. I like my action nice and low and this bass gives my just what I need and without any fret buzz and no dead spots anywhere along the fretboard.... Feature: The components on this bass works for me as I stated in the above I changed the nut and strings only due to my taste and choice not say anything was wrong with those.... Ease of Use: Once I did my own setup with some minor adjustments to suit my style of playing this baby was ready for gigs. The neck is very comfortable and the feel is smooth and not sticky even on humid days i'm able to slide up and down the neck with ease. Quality: Bass is made very well for a MIM, no different then a MIA. Same fender company, same human hands, same concept and quality just different location.... Good job Fender..... Value: If you want to compare it to a MIA or MIA signature or better yet a custom the answer is " . . L L " yes!... Manufacturer Support: The only reason I dealt with this company was to order a fender original nut instead of a aftermarket product... Delivery time was much sooner then stipulated, 3 days and that included the ordering date. impressive seeing how I live on the north east coast and it came from the west coast..... As for having a product problem, nothing at all. The Wow Factor: The wow factor for me is not only how good it sounds but close it looks to the classic and current reissued model's that cost much much more for the same sound, feel and playability at a much affordable price is a no brainier in my opinion. Overall: Love this bass even if it has that worn look that most viewers get turned off about, but if you can look beyond that and base it solely on sound, feel, and playability you too will love it also..... Don't knock what you have not tried.....

Fender Road Worn P Bass Customer Review submitted May 4, 2009

Musical Background: Active Musician, Studying Music In College
Music Style: Jazz, Funk, Rock, Pop
Sound: I recently bought this bass, I love the sound. The American P-Basses don't get nearly as much growl and deepness that this bass has. Great punch, even with factor strings. I love it. I was a bit concerned because it is Mexican made, then I looked and saw all road series is Mexican made. Although it is Mexican, it is crafted like an American Bass....I'd definitely choose it over an American Bass. In addition, it's a high end bass, so it's not gonna be crafted like a Mexican Squire.....:P Feature: I love the old-look, feel, and sound of this bass. It's great that it comes with a bag :D. Like all P-basses it has 2 knobs. Ease of Use: If you can play, you can get a good sound out of this bass. The playability is great on this bass. Quality: Made perfectly. Like I said before, it's a very well made bass. Value: For the price, this bass is awesome. The Wow Factor: Today, I told my friend I got a 1950s remake P-Bass and he told me that I just moved a step up. He thought it was awesome especially the fact that it's a 1950s remake. Overall: If you are deciding to get the bass or look at it, I hope my review helped. It is a great bass and I would recommend it to anyone.

When you call, mention priority code 172B-XB68. Llame Gratis en Español: 800-460-7976