When you call, mention priority code 1772-YZ9W

For delivery by New Year's Eve, order by 2pm EST Monday, Dec 29th with 2-day shipping.

Rating and Reviews: Epiphone SG Special

With two humbuckers and a maple neck, the Epiphone SG Special is an amazing value in an electric guitar.

Overall

"Everything you could ask for in a guitar... especially the price" submitted June 10, 2008

Music Style: Hard Rock/Metal
Sound: No matter where I plug this guitar in it sounds amazing. The clean tones are crisp and well-defined, and when you throw distortion into the mix, it's raw and crunchy. I play a lot of hard rock and metal (mostly Metallica), and this guitar really helps me achieve the kind of sound i'm looking for. I really couldn't ask for a better sounding guitar. And at the price, it's just incredible. Feature: When I got this guitar, everything was perfectly set up. I was able to plug it right in and play, and I was really happy with that. The action was set to perfection. One thing I did notice though, is that the screws in the bridge tend to rattle when you're playing. Mine was especially true for the B and high-E strings. But you really can't hear that through the amp so it's easy to work past. All I can say is I wish this had a whammy bar, but that's just personal preference. Ease of Use: This guitar is so easy to use. Every time I pick it up I'm able to create new and exciting sequences. The harmonics are incredible, and actually quite easy to achieve. You can really do some cool stuff with this guitar. Quality: This guitar is extrememly reliable and besides the aformentioned looseness of those bridge screws, you can totally depend on it to keep going and going through the years. Value: You simply can't beat this price. I actually got mine cheaper than its price now. It's truly a price that can't be beat for this quality. Manufacturer Support: Well, I've never needed support, but knowing Epiphone, it's probably good. The Wow Factor: Everything about this guitar's appearance is beautiful. It really makes me feel confident when I'm playing in front of people, because I look down at this incredible piece of equipment I have in my hands, and think to myself, "Yeah, that's right, that's MY guitar." Overall: I'm already in the search for a new guitar, but this one will always be held dear to me. I'll never get rid of this guitar, even if everything gets rundown and broken...which isn't likely.

"Epiphone SG Special kicks major rear!" submitted June 20, 2003

Overall
Music Style: Rock, metal, punk, and some folky pop-rock stuff.
Sound: This guitar is awesome. I can't believe it is so cheap! It has great action, great feel, great response... it feels like an extremely well made guitar. The sound is very sharp and held together. The pickups sound far from generic. For the money, this is an awesome value. Make sure you take it to someone who knows how to intonate and set up action. Once that is done, it plays like a million bucks! Feature: This guitar has got just the same features a regular SG would have. All the hardware and electronics are of good quality. Even the selector switch seems reasonably solid for sucj a guitar. The nice way the headstock is inlaid makes the guitar look much more expensive than it is. Quality: I give this guitar a 7 because I'm comparing it on the entire scale. For the money, it is obviously a 10. The materials are of a mass product type, but are of good quality. Nothing is cheap or breakable. The finish is fantastick for the price, but has minor imperfections throughout. Polished up and from a distance, it shines like a $1000 unit. Up close, you can see the factory imperfections, although there are not that many. It does have a bolt on neck of course. This unit retains it's tuning remarkably well. I can pull it in and out of a soft case and 60% of the time, play it in tune right out of the bag. Value: This guitar's value as far as I am concerned is 11 or 12. For the price, this is one of those rare gem like finds! Even when it's over priced in remote locations, it's still worth it. (I bought it in Canada in Canadian $) Manufacturer Support: I have NEVER had to contact Epiphone about a problem with a product, so I would have no idea if they are easy to contact. However, their website always has any information that I am looking for, so that is good. The Wow Factor: This thing is sexy, no question. The red varnish type finish is what I have, and it is SEEEEXY! Overall: This is not an in-between guitar. I will never sell it or trade it in. It is a mainstay unit.
36 of 39 people (92.31%) found this review helpful. Did you?

"1 Kickass guitar" submitted January 10, 2010

By a customer from myspace.com
Overall
Music Style: anything from classical to prog metal
Sound: The sound on this guitar is good, not the best but its very diverse, I could play jazz would it than turn up the distortion and play thrash metal. Feature: It was decently equiped for the price, 2 humbuckers, a 3 way toggle and a volume knob and a tone knob, but another set of knobs and a pickguard wouldnt hurt. Ease of Use: This guitar has 2 cutaways so its extremely easy to get to all 22 frets but it doesnt stay in tune very well. Quality: The quality for the price is amazing as the hardware was pretty good (not the best but not bad) and it sounds great. Really the only things wrong with it is a dent in the back a little smaller that an eraser on a pencil and the neck wore down a little faster then I thought. But it still feels great. Value: There are $350-$400 guitars that dont sound as good Manufacturer Support: I have never had any trouble with the guitar but if I did all the info I need is on the website. The Wow Factor: Who doesn't like an sg? Overall: The way this guitar is built it will probably last 5 years at least and when it wears down I'll buy another one. It definatly kicks the crap out of comparable squires and LP knockoffs. I love how diverse this thing is it just doesnt stay in tune.

"My epiphone special model SG is great because..." submitted November 26, 2006

By a customer from earthlink.net
Overall
Sound: This guitar has sweet sound.It has the same sound of a gibson SG,and is about 800$ less expensive. Feature: This guitar came with no extra accessories.One feature I wish it had was a wammy bar. Ithas 2 humbuckers,tune-o-matic,and rosewood finger board. Ease of Use: It isn't hard at all to get great sounds from this guitar.It is easy to modify your sound by just using the tone knob.This guitar has a very thin finger board,so it is easy to play. Quality: This guitar is made well,but has its faults.The finish and fit is very good.The input of the guitar comes loose constantly amnd always has to be tightened. Value: Yes The Wow Factor: This guitar has a very simple design to it.Its simple shape makes it easy to play.This guitar comes in black and a deep cherry red. Overall: So far i've had this guitar for about 3 monthes, and i expect to have it for the rest of my life.Of all guitars i compared this one comes out on top it has great sound,color,and price.What I like most about this guitar is its great sound.

"SG for Sexy Guitar" submitted December 29, 2004

Music Style: Everything. Except for Pop and rap
Sound: I just got this guitar with all the factory parts no upgrades, took it to my friends house a few times who owns a 650 dollar guitar or somehting like that, and he kept asking to see mine. The sound is as good as you can get with 150 dollar. Feature: The guitar has only two knobs: volume and tone. Volume is volume but the tone knob has a very drastic difference between 0 and 10. I got the players pack cuz I play accoustic and just am geting started with my own electric. overall features arent the best I've see. Quality: I read about people complaining cuz their SG broke cuz their strap broke. Your idiots. Its not the guitars fault you jump around trying to be punk with a crappy strap. mines had some hits and there isnt a mark on it. However I'm sure it couldnt take a big drop such as the one mentioned above without getting banged up. Value: best for this much money Manufacturer Support: groovey The Wow Factor: This guitar is hot. U can easily reach the all 22 frets. The paint job is hot. Not pick guard so when it gets thrashed people can see u rock. solid. just a beautiful guitar. Overall: Its the best for this much money but u may find something better give or take a hundred dollars.

"Love it!" submitted May 2, 2004

By a customer from adelphia.net
Overall
Sound: Its awesome, its like you can play all the way from blues and jazz to metal and punk. Feature: No accessories, but the humbuckers make it awesome. Quality: Made well, it gets dirty easy, but a polish cloth gets it off easy to. Value: It was good, i had to save a while though, my allowance being 10 bucks a month. Manufacturer Support: Real easy to reach, just called em up. The Wow Factor: It looks awesome, the devil. If I were a guitar it would turn me on. Overall: Awhile, unless I got real good and wanted to buy like a V Faded or something from Gibson.

"This guitar is fricking sweet!!!!!!" submitted January 8, 2007

By a customer from ameritech.net
Music Style: metal and alternative
Sound: The sound quality might not be as nice as the G-310 or the G-400 but it is creazy how good the sound is for the money. Feature: There is a lot of features on this guitar for the money but the only thing is it doesnt have a pick guard. Ease of Use: this is a great beginers guitar perfect for people that dont know mutch about guitars. Quality: This guitar is built like a rock i have had this guitar for almost 2 years and its still like new. Value: THE BEST VALUE FOR AN SG STYAL GUITAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Manufacturer Support: I wouldent know because i havent had any problems with it but i would think it would be good. The Wow Factor: This guitar is very nice looking for its price. Overall: I love this guitar and it will be a wile before i get a new one.
12 of 14 people (85.71%) found this review helpful. Did you?

"Great Value" submitted April 2, 2013

By Zach Hayes in Dryden, NY
Overall
Musical Background: I've played guitar for about 3 years, and have started a band with some of my friends.
Music Style: Punk and hard rock, mostly. Some slower, lighter acoustic songs as well.
Overall: To be clear; I got this guitar as a gift, therefor free, a few years ago. This was my first guitar, and after buying a few more for myself and having the chance to play a dozen or so others, this is still one of my favorites. It sounds exactly how it needs to for the kind of music I play (harder/punk rock), and it's lower action makes it perfect for beginners and pros alike.

"Epiphone SG" submitted April 16, 2014

By Jason S. Stringer in Macon, GA
Music Style: Metal, Rock, Gospel
Overall: This is a great guitar and a wonderful value. The sound is clean and the pick ups sound great for the price. I owned a Gibson SG gothic and this guitar is comparable. The action is awesome and great for all players. I plan on using this guitar for gigs because I have to have different guitars tuned differently for some songs. I love this axe.

"Great value and product" submitted January 11, 2009

Music Style: Metal
Sound: The sound is truly great, especially when accompied by a nice amp, i use a Marshall Half stack Feature: Pretty good, 2 humbuckers, 1 volume, 1 tone, and 1 bass-treble switch. The nut is really good, the strings wont be popping out on this guitar Ease of Use: Pretty easy to set up, has lots of different sound possibilties Quality: The only complaint is that the nut on the input sometimes comes out if this happens to you, open the back and screw it back in also use some nut glue, it keeps it in place. Other then that everything is ship-shape. Value: Ive look all over, and couldnt find a better price. Especially with the free shipping Manufacturer Support: Im gonna give it a 10, because i havnt had to deal with the company for any problems The Wow Factor: Not as great as a real Gibson SG, but since those are so expensive, this is a nice value, and looks sexy in black Overall: Awesome guitar

"Worth the money to play till I get more money. :D" submitted September 10, 2007

Music Style: Various Alternative and Rock
Sound: Considering it's $150 it's a terrific sound...but because it's an SG I'd expect a whole lot better. The intonation constantly needs readjustment and the action is...let's just say inconsistent. When I've got it all set up the way it needs to be, though, it purrs. Feature: Again, it's $150. Consider the Squier strat, priced the same. This SG's pickups, bridge, machine heads...they're all better. Ease of Use: It's an SG. 'nuff said. It might have gotten a ten but there are certain things I have trouble with, usually as a result of the intonation problems (harmonics are inconsistent, pinch harmonics can prove almost impossible). Quality: Sometimes the input comes loose, and the hardware isn't top of the line, but it works. Well. You could drop this thing from your roof and tune it back up and it would probably still rock out. Value: Easily answered. This is a guitar probably worth 200-250 to any other company--not to mention the fact you're actually buying an SG for this amount, which is unheard of. Worth it. Manufacturer Support: I have no idea. The Wow Factor: Reason I got this over other, similarly priced (and some better quality) guitars is that it's an SG. Who doesn't love the SG? Overall: Worthwhile investment, until I can afford a better one.

"GREAT BUY" submitted September 13, 2006

By a customer from student.ccm.edu
Music Style: indie rock
Sound: It sounds great for the price but obviously its not a gibson Feature: The parts it has are good quality again for the price, but it could use a second volume and tone control, and a pickguard would be nice Ease of Use: It sounds real nice could be a little cleaner but het its $150 Quality: The best quality Ive seen on a guitar of this price Value: This really is the best guitar you can get for $150 and its not just a starter guitar Manufacturer Support: I havent dealt with Epiphone for this guitar but I have for my Dot and they were great The Wow Factor: I personally think the SG is the best looking guitar in the world Overall: This is my main guitar and it will be for years to come

"A good little starter guitar" submitted August 18, 2009

Overall
Music Style: deathmetal, folk.
Sound: The sound is okay, mine does have some fade. Its good for the price. Better than a crappy Ibanez which is the same price. Feature: features were okay, only two knobs. One of the knobs cracked and fell off shortly after I got it. But hey it was only 150 dollars. Ease of Use: Relatively easy to use and handle. The SG shape is easy to get around. Quality: The plug/nut comes loose and needs to be screwed in over and over again. I should just glue it in place. The tuners seem to hold the strings in tune but feel a little "squishy." Two of the strings have a buzz. I felt kind of turned off of Epiphone after getting a double coil Korean fender (better quality). I will still invest in an Epiphone bass, so I haven't lost all faith in them. The SG was a good little guitar to start with though. Value: For the low price its not a bad buy, especially if your just staring out. Manufacturer Support: Never dealt with them, but knowing Epiphone it would probably be good. The Wow Factor: the only reason I rated this a seven instead of an 8 or 9 is that this SG has no pick guard. I think they look really awful without a pick guard. I tried to remedy this by buying a pick guard but the SG pick guard I ordered would not fit. Overall: I now use it as a backup guitar. Hoping to get a Gibson SG Gothic in the future to replace it.

"ive paid more 4 a mobile! suprisingly satisfiying" submitted July 5, 2006

Overall
Sound: the sound is pretty good for the price, buy good strings for it though, i use hybrids, really helps! Feature: Pretty simple, but for what is there , its good! Ease of Use: very easy to use, tuing and playing is great. never had problems. Quality: great! ive had it for two years, you cant even tell, and i havt been treating it like egg shells either! what you would expect from epiphone. Value: very good value, just because the list price is low, the standards arent, this is a wise choice for begginers who want quality. Manufacturer Support: no problems, never needed to deal with them The Wow Factor: to be honest, the looks aren't mouthwatering, but there are much worse looking SG's out there! Overall: if you are... 1) looking for a guitar that wont empty your bank 2) want quality worth much more than its worth 3) just want to play guitar happily and simply want to play... this guitar is the 1 4 u!

"Oh my!!! What a pleasant surprise!!!" submitted April 16, 2013

By Stacey Brown in Carmi, IL
Overall
Musical Background: Been playing guitar as a hobby for 15 years.
Music Style: Rock, metal, southern rock/country and pretty much whatever I feel like playing. I just love making music. If it sounds good t
Overall: I have to say that I have never been more pleasantly surprised when I have opened up a box with a new guitar in it. I hope thos doesn't upset anyone who has bought one of these guitars in the past and received one that looked like the one pictured on the website and had the same features as described. I'll explain. I was expecting a guitar exactly as picturwd and described on this website but that sure isn't what I got. My guitar has a finish like the G400 but not worn looking and it also has a pickguard that is the same style as the G400. But the surprises didn't stop there. Oh no, not by a long shot. This absolutely gorgeous guitar was packing another very very cool surprise. The tone pot is also a kill switch!!! That's right. This bad boy actually has a kill switch. You just press it down and bam, you can play like Bucket Head!!! How cool is that? Now don't hate if you got the plain one. I'm sure it's a great guitar too. It's just not as beautiful as mine and doesn't have that extra coolness factor that the kill switch gives it. I don't know why they aren't shown and described like mine unless some folks are still getting the one shown and I just got really lucky or what but I still haven't stopped smiling. Now for the review of the guitar. It rocks!!! The fit and finish are awesome. Couldn't find a flaw anywhere. I had a fret buzz with my low E but a couple of minor adjustments took care of that really quickly and easily. The setup was really good. Intonation was darn near spot on. I figure it just got knocked a little off during shipping. Can't be helped and is actually to be expected. The electronics are better than most guitars at this price point. The pickups are nice and beefy sounding but clean up pretty good when you need em to. You can play everything with this axe. It goes crom country to metal without a hitch. I'm not really in love with the tuning machines. They leave room for improvement but for this price they are better than you would expect. I'm still going to replace them. Gonna swap out the pups for some SD HOT RODDED HUMBUCKERS too. The stock ones are good but not SD good. String change goes without saying. Even with its minor shortcomings this is one hell of a guitar for the money. There's really nothing to legitimately complain about considering what you get for your money. It's a fantastic buy and I am thrilled with it. Especially since I feel like I got the BBD with the axe that I got. I still can't get over how beautiful it is. It looks like a $500 guitar at the very minimum. A tuning machine change and a pup swap and it's going to play like a $500 guitar. I really can't recommend this guitar enough. Just cross your fingers and hope you get the extra super cool version anx not the one shown on the website because the difference is nigbt and day as far as appearance and when you throw in the kill switch it's like Christmas when you aren't expecting it. So if you're thinking about buying one of these guitars just do it. Maybe call Zzounds to verify which version you are getting and tell em you want the bada$$ version just in case they are still shipping the plain one on some orders. Trust me, you want the newer version!!! It's one very very nice guitar. I really don't see how they can sell such a nice guitar for $169. I could probably turn right around and sell it for double that price in stock condition to someone who doesn't shop online. It's that nice!!! Grab one before they come to their senses and start selling these babies for what they should cost which is a lot more than they are going for now.

"The Epiphone SG Special. Inexpensive, but still amazing axe!" submitted December 14, 2004

Music Style: Rock/Metal
Sound: Boss Pedal-Metal Zone MT-2 works great. Also, the Spider II 15 watt amp with INSANE setting sounds very cool. Quality: Very durable guitar. If banged, paint will chip but never gets cracked unless you break it on purpose. Unfortunately, needs to be polished and waxed often because fingerprints show up very easily on both colors. The Wow Factor: Love it. looks amazing. but if you've got the extra cash spring for the epiphone G-400. The pickguard makes it look that much cooler. Overall: Atleast 2-3 years.

"Get one....you won't be sorry!" submitted February 19, 2014

By Andrew P in Corsicana, TX
Overall
Musical Background: Playing guitar almost 30 yrs; mainly a hobby, but ocassionally to jam with friends.
Music Style: I've been hooked on blues since I was 14: Billy F. Gibbons, Jimmy Reed, John Lee Hooker, Elmore James, Muddy Waters. I've been w
Overall: I bought my Epiphone SG Special back in 2008, I think, for $149. Although not a beginner, cost was a major factor, since I play mainly as a hobby. However, I have no doubt this guitar could hold it's own with constant use. My other guitar is a 1970's Ibanez pre-lawsuit Les Paul model set up like Billy F Gibbon's Pearly Gates. The Epiphone hangs right in there with tons of tone and good pickup response when played through a Fender tube amp depending on the sound you're after. I was drawn to the SG Special because of it's simple classic design and shape; similar to Angus Young's SG as well as Epiphones good reputation. The availability of parts/upgrades is also a plus. If I ever need antything I can get Epiphone parts or use Gibson. When it arrived, I checked it out, tuned it up, plugged in and away we went. No problems at all; had to make minor adjustments here and there over time, but that's expected. Probably sounds lame, but with regular care and maintenance, I'm still using the original strings. They still sound great, no breaks, so why not? Over thetime I've had it, I've enjoyed it a lot. There may be "better" guitars out there, according to some, but that's all relative to what you're going to do with it. Truthfully, I think technology has advanced to the point where even crappy guitars can be made to sound good if you have the right amp set up or replace parts with better ones. Again its all relative... As far as the Epiphone SG Special goes, get one, you won't be sorry.

"Epiphone SG Special Edition, Great Guitar, Great Price, Great Value." submitted January 23, 2004

Overall
Music Style: Alternative, Rock, Blues, whatever I feel like experimenting with.
Sound: For 150-250 dollars, it has a great sound. Of course it doesnt sound exactly like a $1000+ Gibson SG, but for the value, it doesn't really matter how different the guitars are. The humbuckers are also pretty good tone-wise. Feature: The only real problem I have with this guitar is the features on it are pretty stripped down. Again, its cheap. Quality: If you can expect one good thing from Gibson/Epiphone every time, it's the quality. The lifetime warranty doesnt hurt either. Value: A good guitar at a very low price. Is that value for you? Manufacturer Support: Again, only expect the best from Gibson/Epiphone. The Wow Factor: I dunno about sex appeal for this guitar, but when i knew it was in backorder, i almost cried. Lol. Anyway, a reliable guitar at a great deal. What don't you want? Overall: A good guitar for a great price. This is a guitar that I would recommend to any beginner. For anyone who has a better guitar, I would recommend this to use for practicing with. This is not a bad guitar at all.

Epiphone SG Special Customer Review submitted January 15, 2005

Music Style: rock, metal
Sound: decent pickups but not that much variation just vol & tone sounds warm but clean like a gibson but not quite Feature: well there is only one vol & one tone which is limeted in comparison to everyother SG the pickup selector on my particular guitar was badly done and the neck pickup would cut out also the fret access is limeted in comaprison to all the other SG models eccept the SG300 Quality: like i said the pickupselector (which i have heard was a problem for others, though i heard that it has been referbished)pretty sturdy other than that mine has been banged around and droped for about four yoears and still hold up Value: it is not worth the list price in comparison to others in the price range Manufacturer Support: never delt with them The Wow Factor: well the Sg body style has and will always be asociated with black sabbath and acdc and chicks like the horns Overall: for the price i paid (4 years ago ,) $220 i was ripped off the features are rather limited, if you want a cheep guitar to mess around on that doesnt look like a squier and youre not really serious about playing i guess it's ok but i would have saved the money for the SG400 it kicks the sh!t 2 times as much

"My 1st Guitar, and I love it" submitted February 7, 2008

Musical Background: Just learning
Music Style: Rock, Country, whatever I can learn
Sound: This is my first guitar (well, i did have a $30 acoustic from a pawn shop), I got it for christmas. And being that I'm just learning to play, It's all I could ask for. Epecially for the price. I love the sound whether your playing with your amp on clean or distortion. the only thing is that the tone nob is like you have to either have it turned all the way up or down to be able to tell the difference. Feature: I like it the way it is. I wish the tone nob was more responsive, and maybe if it had a single pickup between the two humbuckers. But you can't beat this guitar for the price Ease of Use: I'm using it to learn to play and It is very easy I love it Quality: very dependable Overall: When I learn to play real good (If ever, lol) then I might get a different kind. But i see no reason to need another type now. This guitar is capable of doing everything I am capable of doing and much much more.

"good 1st guitar" submitted October 3, 2008

Overall
Sound: its not the best but its good for what i use it for Feature: i got it used from a friend but i did get the emp for it Ease of Use: i like it im no where neir close to being really good at plaing Quality: kick ass Value: its good for a streter Manufacturer Support: never had to use it The Wow Factor: its really good Overall: not the bast but it works

"Great starter guitar with lots of value and potential" submitted November 4, 2008

Music Style: Classic rock, country, Gothic rock
Sound: When I first wsa interested in buying a guitar, I entered the closest guitar shop with only one thing in mind. I wanted the Angus Young sound. When the salesman showed me this guitar, he plugged it through a 100W marshall Combo Amp and started playing you shook me all night long I was sold. However when I got my Line 6 spider III at for Christmas, I realized that it did not sound like in the store at all. I lacked sustain, dynamics and the renown tone an SG should have. Throughout a year I have tried ajusting the setting of the amp, changed the strings and was still un statisfied with the sound, especially the sustain. A buddy of mine was changing the pick ups of his Godin LGX-T to put in EMGs and offered the them to me for $20. Why not. $40 dollars later, my pups are installed and the guitar sounds a lot better, especially with D'addario strings. It's still not the sound I am looking for, because it is muddy when played clean and still lacks a bit of sustain but the tone is great and clear with any kind of distortion or overdrive. For a total of $60, you can have a great sounding guitar if you can get a good deal on pups. If not, invest in some seymour duncan alnicos, no regrets about that either. With the new pups, the sound I rate it at 8.5 Feature: The guitar features two simple open coil humbuckers, rosewood neck, maple and alder body with a stopbar. Pretty basic but effective for beginners, When I bought it, they only included twelve picks and I had to buy my own gigbag. Ease of Use: Very easy to use, pretty much tune and play but the action and neck was off on mine so i had it adjusted free of charge when i changed my strings for the first time, with that there is no buzzing from any of the fretts and hammer-on/pull offs are a breeze as well as harmonics. Changing the strings is a breeze as well. Quality: Quality is an issue with this guitar, as u can see i had to make a few adjustments to make it work me. another issue I have is with the three way selector switch that sometimes cuts the sound when changing it in mid song, you kind of have to wiggle it to get it back in but again, i had this adjusted and I have had no problems with it over a year and a half. The issue I have not yet tended to are the tuner heads, although they are easy to use and feel sturdy, the do not work for more then 5-7 mins, especially the G string as well as the A string, no matter if you are conservative with the bends and u use quality strings they just don't work well. I am looking to buy Grover machine heads soon. After that mod, then it is all set and I am happy. Value: the value is great for this price ranger, best starter guitar I played, and I have played many ranging from Squiers, to Ibanez and Yamahas. You can do a lot to this guitar and have a guitar that sounds and plays like a $2,000 for about $500 you just need to know what you want out of this guitar and be willing to go through the trouble to modify it. Manufacturer Support: I am putting a five because I have never had to use it. The Wow Factor: A lot of people think i paid a fortune for this guitar. I think I have one of the rare few SG that has the Honeyburst finish with gold accents and it looks like a rich guitar, the finish still shines under any kind of light. it looks great. Overall: I will be satisfied forever because I am keeping it for that long, but I plan to get a Gibson les Paul studio in the next few years. Maybe with another amp it will have the sound i hope it can achieve. I have played this guitar at gigs and apart the lack of tuning it held up with me and u can say I am a bit rough with :p. so it should hold up for the common player.

"good for the price!" submitted August 1, 2008

Overall
Musical Background: play to learn songs/band
Music Style: rock, classic rock, hard rock, light metal
Sound: the sound is great for what i play. i do alot of low distortion high volume playing so its great for me. i do have some trouble with the low e string. it is allways much more gainy than the other strings even when i turn the gain as low as it can go on my marshal. Feature: not alot here. but for that price you shouldent expect alot. it only has one volume control and one bass control. i found that the volume control does turn it up or down but it also kills distortion. i never even use the bass knob. i dont want or need more base so i dont use it. i just keep it at full which is none or little bass. Ease of Use: it is very easy to use it comes fully set up but out of tune. one thing i always run into is the nut to hold the jack in. if you accidentally bump it or streach the chord it might come loose or fall off. you can ussually twist it back in if the jack port hasnt fallen inside the guitar. if this happens you must unscrew the back plate off and put it back on. Quality: it comes all assembled so no problem there but the worst part has to be the jack port. i dont thing this is a road guitar at all. this is meant to learn guitar on it but nothing more. to me ive had this guitar for 9 months and its held up well. i am allready looking at another guitar to replace this one. after 9 months of playing about an hour a day there are minor fretwear issues in the appearance but this so far hasnt effected the sound or playability. i think this guitar should last no more than 2 years. if you still have it by then its time to move on to something else. Value: yes for what you get it is definatly worth it. Manufacturer Support: i have never had to deal with the manufactuer. i have never had repairs services or upgrades. The Wow Factor: its not the best looking guitar ive seen but for this price its a guitar not a chick magnet. Overall: i have had this guitar for 9 months and it has done me good but its time is closing down. i am curently looking at a new true gibson sg. a price jump from $169 to $2309.

"Corners the 'budget' market." submitted October 23, 2004

Music Style: Emo/punk
Sound: Can't complain - it does a good job, and is certainly a versatile puppy - would work with everything from pop-rock to death-metal given the right effects. Feature: Meh, it's ok - everything's there that should be, but a couple of little extras would have been nice - ah well. Quality: It's not broken yet - and therefore I can't complain - although I would worry slightly if I dropped it - it does feel a touch fragile at times. Value: You won't find another guitar of this quality within $50 of this price. An absolute steal. Manufacturer Support: Haven't had to, and for that I am thankful. The Wow Factor: I knew I wanted it the minute I saw it. It is quite simply a gorgeous guitar. Overall: The bottom line is - if you are on a budget, and need a good, noisy guitar that will get you any sounds you want, then look no further. As I said, you will struggle to find a better guitar than this for anything less than $250.

"Get everything you need, but No frills." submitted November 15, 2003

Overall
Sound: Clean Sound. Bass sounds clear, treb sounds distorted. Feature: It's an SG. What features? Quality: Got it used, and there wasn't a scratch on it. Wood by its very nature has flaws, but there is nothing on the guitar that takes away from the look of it. The Wow Factor: Thing looks evil in a picture, but in your hands it looks almost satanic. For anyone who loves rock, this thing feels rebelious. Overall: If the neck ever warps (A problem in low end production due to lack quality control on wood selection) I will replace it. This won't cost much, and because the thing cost me so little, it would make it justified.

"Beginner Guitar!" submitted December 27, 2006

Musical Background: Experienced Guitarist
Music Style: Classic Rock, Oldies
Sound: Pretty good, I can get a slightly accurate AC/DC tone from the guitar, I can get a few different tones.. Feature: Two knobs, no pickguard, no crystal like emblem on the headstock, not cool! I really thought this SG was really ugly, compared to all the other sgs, I mean an epiphone with two knobs, no cool crystal stuff, disappointed. Ease of Use: The guitar is REALLY easy to play with, the neck was really easy to do slides on, solos, etc. Quality: This guitar is pretty high quality, the pickups were perfectly good, the stopbar was tight in and proper, the knobs qwere tight, the tuner keys were tight on too, damn good! Value: An SG at a price of 149$?! I was SHOCKED, STUNNED. Now that I have a Epiphone G-400, i'd say that the SG Special is totally worth its price, although if you were going to get experienced at guitars & guitar playing quick, get a g-400. The SG Special is REALLY CHEAP! Manufacturer Support: N/A The Wow Factor: Not that appealing, but does look pretty good if it was in the Ebony colour, other than that, I wasn't that attracted to it since there was realyl sexy wood SGs all surounding it. Overall: I guess it's an alright guitar, I would suggest it for ALL newbies to the guitar world though. It has one volume knob, one tone knob, to make life easier for those newbies to find tones they're looking for. The nonpickguard is just horid, I REALLY like SGs with pickguards.

"I guess you get what you pay for" submitted November 6, 2004

By a customer from adelphia.com
Musical Background: I breathe guitar
Music Style: classic rock
Sound: junky pickups, laminated body for bad tone, really bad tuners Feature: junky pickups, laminated body for bad tone, really bad tuners Quality: no real quality parts just run of the mill economy parts Manufacturer Support: gibson/epiphone always great with service they can answer any question you have about the instrument The Wow Factor: traditional body design good for comfort bad neck laquered not a fast neck by any means Overall: bad quality guitar for very very beginners only !!!!!!

"GO FOR THIS ONE MAN, GET A MARSHALL AMP WHILE YOUR AT IT!" submitted February 17, 2006

Musical Background: 17 years of playing
Music Style: rock, classical
Sound: This guitar is rad! ive had it for about a year with my marshall half stack and it is so good for its price. now its not as good at my gibson version of course but its good for only 150 bucks, if you want something better for the gibson. Feature: The components are great for the price. You get what you deserve for the price. Ease of Use: great Quality: great Value: great Manufacturer Support: great The Wow Factor: good Overall: great

"REALLY F--KING AWESOME!" submitted August 3, 2010

Musical Background: Hobbyist,
Music Style: Rock,
Sound: This guitar is f--king AMAZING! Nothing is better then those humbuckers ,they are awesome. cra-Z for such a low price I luv dis SG more than my Les Paul and Telecaster so BUY IT! as i said i'ts f--king AMAZING! Feature: It didn't come w/ accessories but with the right amp it's sound is perfect the vox amplug metal sounds lik AC/DC it is SICK! Ease of Use: Kinda hard to get a clean sound i'ts kinda off tune some times but Great after you get the right sound one KICK A-- guitar Quality: It has never let me down it's light and easy 4 traveling so i use it alot the only problom is getting it in tune but overall i luv it Value: it is worth way more than the money so stop reading dis review and BUY IT! Overall: AMAZINGAMAZINGAMAZINGAMAZINGAMAZINGAMAZINGAMAZINGAMAZINGAMAZINGAMAZINGAMAZINGAMAZINGAMAZINGAMAZINGAMAZINGAMAZINGAMAZINGAMAZINGAMAZINGAMAZINGAMAZINGAMAZINGAMAZINGAMAZINGAMAZINGAMAZINGAMAZINGAAMAZIAMAAMAZINGZINGNGMAZING JUST AMAZING!

"the sg, a good investment worth time and money"

Overall
Music Style: anything with a guitar
Sound: Its cool. My first guitar. Dont expect it to be a Les Paul or something. Im playing it through a 15 watt amp and distortion is kinda murky and muddy but hey it still sounds good. Not the clearest ever without distortion. This is kinda weird but it sounds real cool playing blues stuff. I guess its expressive. so i got my complaint about ditsortion and heres another one: it only has two humbuckers so your choices are both(the best), treble(horrible), and rythem (decent) i thought of something else--the tone thing sucks. the only good setting is around 5 and a half. Feature: pshhhhhh features? this thing has two humbuckers and a 2 way switch and a volume control and a crappy tone control that buzzes when you adjust it. no bells and whistles here folks. Quality: hasnt busted but i dont beat people with it so i guess its good Value: BETTER THAN THE SQUIRE STRAT! DONT GET THAT! THE SG SOUNDS A 1000000 TIMES BETTER. GET THE SG GET THE SG GIVE ME A HOT DOG GET THE SG Manufacturer Support: dunno havent called The Wow Factor: yeah this thing will get girls to chase you. at least mine will. its bright red and it looks like it has devil horns. look out this thing looks completely awesome Overall: yeah its worth it get this guitar for your beginner DONT GET THE SQUIRE

Epiphone SG Special Customer Review submitted February 13, 2005

Overall
Sound: the package needs a better amp. Feature: it has good color, and the crome is nice.

"HOT DEPENDABLE PERFORMANCE AT AN ECONOMICAL PRICE!" submitted February 13, 2008

By a customer from SUDDENLINK.NET
Musical Background: PRO. MUSICIAN, WRITER, DIRECTOR
Music Style: ROCK, BLUES,
Sound: My name is Brad Lanier. Im a 25 yr pro. guitar player and I still love the SG! I love the rich, meaty crunch. I play a lot of high energy bluesey rock, the sg fits right in. The deep rich sound response fits my signature sound.I definately would recomend this guitar to the starter guitarist and to any pro.I blow my SG through the latest VOX digitube combo amp and hello to all the hamonics and feedback you disire! I read others negative comments on the action and can only guess it just was not set up properly, the SG I own has the best action of all my guitars. If your unsatisfied with your SG, take it to your local guitar tech and have the harmonics and action set. It will be well worth the small fee. Keep Rockin! Brad Lanier of "audiopath". Feature: As soon as you purchase your SG, get a strap lock kit, there usually about 20 bucks or less and its well worth the small investment. While playing lead, sustain a note and rapidly switch your togle switch back and forth. It takes a little practice but you will love the effect (usually used at the end of a song, or during a guitar solo)This is a rock solid guitar and will satisfy any true players form. Ease of Use: You can push this guitar through any amp you choose but I belive with the double hums. its highly intended for major rockin! Marshall, Vox, Mesa Boogie etc. Quality: For you pros. you know this is a guitar you can count on so you can enjoy focusing on your music. Value: This is one of the best guitars you can own for the modest price! Manufacturer Support: Never needed support! The Wow Factor: The SG is HOT! Overall: Never, I do not plan of giving up my SG!

"Well..." submitted December 21, 2006

Music Style: Metal,punk
Sound: When i first got the guitar, i had been playing for maybe a year...and i loved it, but once i became more experienced, and the guitar got older, the pickups started shorting out, other than that, i guess it wasn't too bad Feature: once again, it's getting a 5. The greatest feature of this thing was probably the neck on mine was quick, which surprised me. Ease of Use: The guitar isn't that heavy, but its not super light at all. The neck on mine was fairly quick, just not like the Jackson I now own. But its not too bad to play Quality: The wood on mine caved in around the jack and the pickups. After about 6 months, the lower horn started cracking and eventually fell off. Value: It wasn't really worth the cash. Manufacturer Support: Epiphone was very nice and offered to send me a replacement. The Wow Factor: I thought the guitar was total crap once i got better. Overall: Once again, not worth the price.

"Whatever" submitted August 1, 2007

Musical Background: Intermediate Musician
Music Style: Metal
Sound: It gives out an ok sound Feature: Yeah it needs a pick guard and EMG pickups Ease of Use: You knwo this guitar is great fro beginers and its real simpl but after that you'll just want to sell it Quality: its ok Value: its cheap right The Wow Factor: this guitar got lucky I didn't rate it a one Overall: I can't see this guitar with me for a while than after that I'll just sell it and probaly try to find a new with a better sex appeal

"not worth the epiphone name" submitted July 16, 2005

Overall
Sound: sounds ok. Feature: dosnt even have a pick guard.looks bad. Quality: has very bad pant job. Value: good price but only worth what your paying for it. Manufacturer Support: epiphones are great guitars but this is a dud. The Wow Factor: looks bad. Overall: it sounds ok but looks bad.

"peace of junk" submitted July 18, 2005

Musical Background: trumpet player
Music Style: salsa
Sound: suonds like finger nails on a chalk board. or my dog taking a dump what ever you prefer. Feature: It has two feaking nobs. Quality: it broke while i was playing it. Value: you should have payed me to use it. Manufacturer Support: as suportive as your moms jock strap. The Wow Factor: makes me limp. Overall: epiphone you screwed up.

"" WHAT A LOAD OF RUBBISH "" submitted August 7, 2004

Overall
Sound: pick-ups are crapp......i think if you put strings and pick-ups on a 2by4 it wood sound better Feature: its got 2 f*****g knobs on it what features Quality: cheap.......cheap.......cheap...plastic and balsa wood Value: for what you pay your better off adding a few more bucks and getting something worth your money.....try to re-sell this thing, never gonna happen Manufacturer Support: never used them...hope i dont have too The Wow Factor: turned me right off of epiphones Overall: i dont see how this would meet eny ones needs , they are complete rubbish and wouldnt recomend them to my enemy`s, i allmost went back to the place i bought it from and pitched it through the window

When you call, mention priority code 1772-YZ9W. Llame Gratis en Español: 800-460-7976