When you call, mention priority code 1569-1JSR

Rating and Reviews: Epiphone Goth Thunderbird

Summon the dark forces of rock with the drab Gothic styling and deep aggressive growl of the Goth Thunderbird IV Bass' 2 TB Plus pickups and EQing.

"Buy this guitar. It won't let you down." submitted November 19, 2011

By a customer from kc.rr.com
Overall
Musical Background: Been playing bass for a year and a half. Mostly I just jam at home and with friends.
Music Style: Rock, metal, punk, blues
Sound: Despite the low price point, this guitar is very much stage worthy. The sound is clear with an immense growl and serious punch. While the sound is dedicated to being incredibly dark, it somehow manages to do justice across multiple genres. This guitar is extremely playable. When you see below what I paid for it right here on zzsounds, keep in mind that it is both blemished and was on labor day sale. Feature: Most useful: As someone who very much prefers to use a thumb rest this guitar is perfect. When I bought it I was concerned over wether or not the pickups could be used effectively as thumb rests but I took the plunge anyway. It turns out that the pickups are contoured with great care to accommodate a resting thumb. Past that, there is a ridge carved into the guitar that can serve as a thumb rest that runs the length of the body. This allows you to rest your thumb absolutely anywhere on the body allowing you to easily create more dynamic sound without fiddling around. Least useful: While I like the bridge well enough, I have yet to figure out of to adjust string spacing which may not even be possible. Further, I know for a fact that it is not possible to adjust individual string height. But don't look at these as deal breakers! This guitar is so playable it doesn't bother me. As another plus you can adjust overall string height with the tiniest turning of a single screw. Ease of Use: The sound this beast produces is fantastic and highly distinct. Quality: So far this thing is solid as a rock. One thing to note: This guitar is humongous. Even the headstock is substantially larger than any I have ever seen. After unpacking it the first thing I thought was, "Does this double as a Kliningon weapon?". Be careful with it or you might knock something over or put a hole in the ceiling. Not that I consider this a downside. It is this unique styling that makes it an object of physical beauty. You will get a lot of compliments regarding the guitars look and presence. Value: Oh my yes! Manufacturer Support: Haven't had to deal with them. The Wow Factor: Extract answer to this from previous answers. Overall: I am comfortable enough with the high quality of this guitar that I now fully intend to drop $500 for the pro model at some point in the future. However, I am so satisfied with this guitar I don't see justifying that purchase for awhile. Maybe next spring\summer. Also, I may now be dedicated to Epiphone bases in general.

"This bass is possessed by a sexy, mysterious and wicked demoness!" submitted July 21, 2004

Overall
Sound: Sound is a low, groovy, wicked rock rumble. Turn the tone up for clarity when using distortion. Sound is great for passive pickups; I love these new ceramic pickups. Since I don't do much tapping, slapping and popping, the lack of active pickups isn't a drawback. Sounds great through an overdriven guitar amp, but even sweeter through a good Fender or Hartke Bass rig. Feature: The Schaller tuners are great; very precise. The neck is thicker than an Ibanez or Jackson, but easier to handle than a Fender or Ernie Ball. Body shape and finish are just a gorgeous combination. The tuning gear are in-line making tuning easier. Quality: Finish and fit were top-notch. No loose parts, but some cosmetic blemishes where the fingerboard meets the neck. Value: This is a great upgrade for players after some initial experience. Also a great backup bass, but as a main bass it may not be as versatile as it's a groover's bass. For bass players who tend to overplay 'cause they're lead guitarist wannabes, they'll get quickly tired showing off because the weight distribution is that much of a problem. Left-arm strength is a must for this model. Manufacturer Support: No service needed so far. The Wow Factor: Classic looks, attention-grabbing. Yes, it's sexy. You'll look great wearing it onstage, and it's got enough tone versatility to make it practical for a few songs. Overall: I'm keeping this one forever, play it even after it's ugly and beaten. May upgrade it later.

"Epiphone Goth Thunderbird IV Bass" submitted October 3, 2013

By Armando P in Bronx, NY
Overall
Musical Background: 48 yrs as drummer & musician, 40 yrs playing bass guitar, 30 yrs professional.
Music Style: rock, heavy metal, hard rock, Christian, goth, trash, pop, southern rock, country, funk, soul, gospel, speed metal, 60's garage,
Overall: i like very much this sturdy, structured bass guitar with nice sleek black color matte finish paint all over the body, back of neck & headstock, 2 cool growling sound humbucking pickups, strong tuner machines heads that keeps the Goth T-bird IV bass in tuned with no slack, classic Gibson like bridge, a very large, but thin bass guitar, 2 volume & one tone nob, an upgrade on the strap button that placed on the back neck plate which is a big plus, removable truss rod cover & pick guard, no inlay dots on the fret board only a large printed numeral twelve on the 12th fret, dot markers on side of neck, 20 medium jumbo frets, nut is also black, large headstock that's slanted slightly back. in my personal opinion i have nothing negative to say about this bass cause it's an amazing instrument & it looks real cool on stage & i'm really happy that the bass is made out of mahogany wood that gives it a nice deep bass sound. though it still have that head dive & it could be somewhat a little uncomfortable for some bass player due to not having a contoured body, but i was able to get around it by using a wider bass guitar strap that i place over the body of the bass so that it won't hurt my right forearm from playing.

"A DEMON FROM HELL" submitted March 24, 2010

Musical Background: Active Musician, Student
Music Style: Metal,Rock,Jazz,Blues
Sound: I have this little baby in drop C. BUT in drop C you can get a wicked slap on it! I changed the strings for thicker ones and it sounds like a beast! Feature: The pickups on this bass are amazing. I didn't have to adjust them or anything! The two volume and one tone knobs are more than you will ever need, but who said excess kills? Ease of Use: As soon as I picked this bass up I knew that it was the one for me. There was zero adjusting on it, no modifications, nothing. I just changed the strings, but that was it. I play both standing up and sitting down, I find it easy both ways (I do NOT use a pick). I don't have a problem with the size of the body or neck, its perfect for me. Quality: A TANK! I've dropped this a few times, its been hit by other objects, its been left out for extended periods of time. I come back: Its still in tune and not a scratch on it! Value: An amazing bass for a cheap price. How could you go wrong? This is the perfect bass: Its unique, looks amazing, sounds even more amazing, and will have everyone's jaw drop when you start playing some funk tunes in drop C. Manufacturer Support: Never had to use support. Hope I never have to The Wow Factor: I've always wanted a Thunderbird. I have 3 now. This bass is so amazing! It is more unique than any other bass out there (to me, most basses look the same). This bass is a demon from hell! Overall: I will always be playing T-Birds. I have other basses, but the T-Birds are my minions. They are such an amazing bass! You don't need to worry about fragility or if it will go out of tune on stage.

"THIS BASS IS A ROCKER THROUGH AND THROUGH!" submitted March 7, 2010

By a customer from hotmail.co.uk
Musical Background: active musician/hobbyist
Music Style: rock,metal,funk,jazz,pop,techno (on occasion)
Sound: it sounds like a beast to be honest i dont really get along with the tonal veriety with isnt great but overall it sounds like the growl a rock band should have Feature: the TB humbuckers are at a great quality for a bass you can pick up for 150 to 200 pounds its volume and tone nobs are very presise and yet again the veriety isnt like a library but... the paint is one thing if you dont use a pick the dimnest with ware through and the shining undercoat will show (as mine has) the neck is not a slim neck but if your into adding the backing and be the back bone for bands or just rocking out to songs in the cd player it does great for it the rose wood fingerboard is of good quality unlike that of a squire affinity p-bass(my first bass) Ease of Use: well i gotta say this baby can pack a punch and with great ease i havent had one problem with getting to grips with this though the wieght imballence could put alot of people of, its easily sorted with a thick leather strap with grip but then again ti can fail so you will need some left arm strength Quality: the overall build of the guitar is good but the sloppyness of the souldering is appauling and the fact there to lazy to connect two wires to the volume and tone nobes prefuring to use one each and split it in half wich is a real awkwardness ive had to fix that a few times and the paint again isnt great for constant finger flicking Value: i mean for the first upgrade its perfect although to may find better deals on them if you search 200 is well worth its asking price Manufacturer Support: they fixed it once but then i found out the problem and though screw the 12 pound fee ill do it myself but yeah they were great The Wow Factor: lets get this straight the moment i saw this baby i was loving it up on the web for a few months while i got the cash for it Overall: im keeping it untill it rots i just cant stop the feeling and the buzz it gives me playing it if it was a women id marry it although it mean but its beauty is in its sound im just wowed by the quality when i play it knowing i didnt have to empty my arse pocket for it

"Great Buy! Perfect Bass" submitted August 16, 2007

Music Style: Folk Classic Rock
Sound: Deep rumbling yet clear in the higher octaves. For the price there is nothing comparable on the market! Sounds almost as good as the Gibson version, yet costs 300 instead of almost 2000! Also, get a good bass cable, I use a Monster Pro Bass, and it brings the house down, crisp and clean although still powerful and rumbling. Feature: Wish it came with a case, but that's too much to ask for with the small cost Ease of Use: Pick up and play, easy to use, and great to learn on Quality: Wow, heavy, sturdy, feels like you are playing something with real power, the pickups sense even the smallest signal, and the body is made from high quality mahogany so it feels sturdy and you can really wail on it without feeling like you'll hurt it. Value: Can't beat the price! Similar price range and you will be getting an inferior "starter" bass that lacks impressive tone, this is a bass that you can keep for a long time and still be playing it for years Manufacturer Support: I haven't had any need to deal with the company because the product works perfectly The Wow Factor: Doesn't have that goofy look that so many basses suffer from, instead its got solid yet classic styling that isn't over the top while at the same time makes a statement: I like to ROCK Overall: I will very likely never have a need to replace this bass, it is about as good of a sound as I will ever need, and will instead be keeping it in mint condition by buying great accessories.

"THE BEST SOUNDING BASS THAT I HAVE EVER PLAYED!!!!" submitted September 5, 2007

Overall
Sound: This is the perfect bass for any metal head, that loves to lay down intense bass lines, this is the perfect bass for you!! The greatest bass that i have played tonal and production wise, and i have played 3,000 dollar bass guitars that i dont like as much. This bass is bulletproof. My friend knocked his off his second story balcony, and the only dammage it took was a little paint chip. You could pull a Pete Townsend guitar smash, and have this thing sound excellent your next gig. If you dont have one, BUY IT!!! I know I am! Feature: The pickups and manufacturing of this bass is beyond belief, and second to none. Words can not describe the quality of this bass, just buy it! Ease of Use: This bass is so playable that it can go from metal to punk to funk...if ur into that, and back again without any adjustments. Quality: Great quality, as i said, BULLETBROOF construction!! Value: THis bass beats the hell out of most all basses that i have played, even some selling for thousands of dollars. The Wow Factor: The aesthetics of this bass is amazing, the lines of the bass are sensual and brutal at the same time! Overall: I will never become dissatisfied with this bass as long as i live!
16 of 19 people (84.21%) found this review helpful. Did you?

"The goth Thunder-bird packs a punch! For it's price it's a bargain! Good feel, Good tone, Good vibrations!" submitted May 21, 2011

Music Style: Country, Blues , and Rock
Sound: This bass the goth T-Bird I just bought is one surprisingly punchy bass,So surprised that I had to write this review! It doesn't have the brightness that I hear from most active bass guitars but if you want a solid sound on your notes this bass has it. If I were to compare this bass with a precision, my personal oppinion I think it's punchier.I've played this bass thru a mark 1x12 combo and also thru a marshall 2x12 combo w/15" ext cab and they both sounded good. If you were to add a sans pre-amp direct box it will brighten your day or night! Feature: No, Noaccessories inclued. The features I liked best were the neck it feels real good it has good balance. Again it could use a little more on the bright side but thats my personal preference. The bass is good the way it is of course, if it were active maybe that would take care of the high end issue. Ease of Use: Easy to get a good sound depending on your style of music. With a little adjusting and a sans amp your good to go. This bass is very comfortable. When I saw the shape I thought it would be very arkward but it does have a good feel and is very playable. Quality: The product is made good for it's price. Maybe I shouldn't say this but I"ve own gibson basses before like the EB3 and for cosmetic and the sound was just as good and it even looked better except for logo you see a gibson logo and you automaticly think high price better bass. Right? Not all the time.Anyway I wound up take the gibson back and I'm very happy with my EPI EB3. I own a 1973 fender jazz,a 2003 musicman, a 1970s Hofner bass,and a customized fender tele, and epiphone is alright in my book. Value: For it's price its very worth it. I'm inspired to buying a 5 string T-Bird honestly! I love the sound and the feel! Manufacturer Support: Never dealt with companies nor their warranties sorry. The Wow Factor: The T-Bird style bass is Rock history! Of course it looks good!It's everything you want in a rock bass. If you are a good bassist you can incorporate this bass into any style of music. It's a beautiful bass! YES! Overall: I buy basses and if I don't use them enough I turn around and sell them,this one staying with me for a while I'll probably windup buying the TB 5 string. I have been looking for a 5 string to fit my taste and if it sounds anything like the goth with a little more clarity I'll be very happy! I about ten bass guitars right now and I love messing around with all of them I probably won't wear it out. If it ever got stolen? I would probably cut my losses and not very much either right? I like the feel and solid tone but it lacks high end.

"Sweet" submitted October 3, 2012

By Rachel Milam-Atwood in Fairdale, WV
Overall
Musical Background: My husband has been playing bass for most of his life.
Music Style: Metal, Rock, Jazz, etc.
Overall: I ordered this bass for my husband on the 1st. Today is the 3rd and I received it. I only opted for the free ground shipping. Was so fast! This bass is awesome!

"Excellent bass for newb to pro bassists" submitted March 13, 2012

By Andy K in NYC, NY
Musical Background: 13+ years active bassist
Music Style: industrial, metal, jazz, experimental, progressive, funk
Overall: Excellent bass overall, I'd say it's up there with the Gibson t-bird counterparts, I played them both side by side, and can honestly say the sound and tone of the epiphone goth t-bird is just as good, only difference is the volume of the epiphone version is a bit lower which is because it utilizes weaker control pots, easily can be replaced with your choice of electronIcs. Finish is a very beautiful flat black like the name goth suggests. The fact that these are Bolton necks is a plus sine you can easily remedy the common neck dive problem found on this bass, simply visit your hardware store, find some sturdy metal strip that you can place under or in place of the neck plate, drill two or more holes if applicable, through the metal strip to match the neck plate hole pattern, make sure to have enough length of the strip to reach to the 12th fret, that is the critical balance point where bass guitars usually sit well on a strap. Next just drill another hole in the extension of that metal strip where it meets with the 12th fret, place the strap button in the extension hole and voila, you got yourself a perfectly balanced T-bird. Other than the neck dive issue, this bass is made with excellent quality.

"Best Bass for Best Price!!!!" submitted June 23, 2004

Overall
Sound: i have only been playing for about a year and i think this is the best one that i have played yet. i have played all sorts of brands but i love the rich deep punch thats given by the thunder bird. its the best one for playing hard rock, which i play. great bass. Quality: i've seen the construction of many guitars in the last three years. i think that it is one of the best for the cost and great to show off to any crowd no matter how famous. Value: i think it's the best on the market for it's selling price. it also carries a great name with it. Manufacturer Support: i have not really delt with the company personaly but i have close friends that have and never had a bad thing to say about them. The Wow Factor: it's a bad ass design an looks great. i have seen a lot of custom work and great finishes with the band i work with and i would not be afraid to show it off with the best of them. Overall: i think this is a product that when i buy it it will be one that i will need to play till it falls apart. it's just a really great sounding guitar and i'm actually getting it to replace my exsisting guitar.

When you call, mention priority code 1569-1JSR. Llame Gratis en Español: 800-460-7976