When you call, mention priority code 209-1S28

Rating and Reviews: Epiphone 1958 Explorer

Get classic looks and tone at an affordable price. The Epiphone 1958 Explorer features a Korina body with a tight grain pattern and resonant tone.

"From nervous to happy" submitted December 31, 2016

By Maggie M in Cambridge, MA
Overall
Sound: OK. First con is that the pickups are a little weak and slightly muddy. Not bad, mind you, but I'll definitely be changing them at some point (the bridge, at least, I like a mild neck pickup.) The electronics seem good enough, no crackling or scratching (something my Epiphone Les Paul Trad. Pro has a bit of), and the pickup switch seems solid. Feature: After opening the electronics cavity and looking at the body I think the following: Yes, it looks like it may be a real korina body (to my amateur eye). But, the top and back are still veneer caps and the body on mine is made from about 5 pieces. So it's 'solid' but not 'single'. I'm still OK with it as it's beautiful. The only blemish I could find was on the lower butt where it appears to have been sat in the rack while the clear coat was still soft. But you'd have to look to find it. Ease of Use: It came set up very well with a nice, low action and played great out of the box. I was super-surprised by that as it's cold in New England right now and this thing just went through more than a couple of long temperature changes. The frets are a little sharp-edged, but overall good. I'll probably polish them, but so far they seem nice and level with a fair crown. They're medium/jumbo and while I'd prefer jumbo, they're fine. Quality: It feels great and looks beautiful. It plays very well and has a nice, bright sound un-amplified. Value: This is a wonderful replica of a classic guitar and an excellent bargain. I used to own a circa 1981 Gibson Explorer and it wasn't nearly as nice as this guitar. I'm so pleased I may try to buy the companion korina Flying V. The Wow Factor: Korina Explorers are legendary. Rick Nielsen is the reason I've coveted this iconic guitar so long and I'm happy to have something that has both the look and playability of one. I'm very happy with this purchase. Overall: I've never ordered from zZounds before and was more than a little nervous. It's not the first time I've bought a guitar online, by any means, but I really didn't know anything about zZounds. But I really wanted a first run of this guitar and this seemed to be the last new one on the internet. Add to this the fact that buying a guitar without trying it out first is always a little nerve-wracking and... yeah. As I said, nervous. But late one night I pulled the trigger and crossed my fingers. And 2 days later it arrived, safe and sound. As for the guitar itself, it's all I'd hoped for. I've been coveting korina Explorers for decades, and this is as close to the originals as I'll ever get.

"Second time is the charm" submitted April 5, 2017

By Wesley L in Bismarck, ND
Musical Background: Played guitar for 43 years
Music Style: Classic rock n blues
Overall: I ordered the blem model 58 Korina Explorer. When it arrived, it was messed up. A huge chip the size of a fifty cent piece on the corner that would be under your arm pit. It was chipped all the way down into the wood about an eighth inch. The neck was cracked in two places at the nut. One was 75% around the neck and the other about 50%. zZounds was absolutely great on the return. I sent it back and they sent me another blem. This one was packed correctly and I even got warranty cards with it?. Out of the box, once tuned, the intonation was right on and the action was setup better than my Gibson LP Std out of the box. Plays great and especially good at frets 19-22. Sounded very crisp, better than my $2500 guitar. Pickups are a little muddy, but still sound decent. The only blem I could notice is a sanding dip between the second and third fret. It was about a 1/4" wide smooth spot. No big deal. If the first guitar would have been packed correctly, they would not have had to send a second one.

"Solid Rock and Roll at a reasonable price." submitted July 5, 2010

Music Style: Blues Rock
Sound: Standard Epiphone pickup sound. Not bad but a little muffled a little lower clarity than the Burstbuckers or classic 57s. With that said it is definitely not bad at all. Bridge pickup screams in a good way and the neck has a good solid humbucker neck sound. All in all for the money it is a great sounding guitar. Feature: You get a cable and a wrench, not much else expected. No gig bag or case which this needs based on it's shape. Pretty standard Volume, Volume, Tone controls. Ease of Use: It oozes rock and roll. Pickup selector in a good out of the way place plug it in and crank it up! Quality: A 10 for an Epiphone? Yes. I have had a few people play this guitar in the few weeks I have owned it, a luthier, a collector and my buddy I jam with and they were all completely blown away with it and said they would not change a thing. I literally took the guitar out of the box and took it to band practice, no setup, no new strings nothing and it sounded and played fantastic. Fret edges are smooth and joints are clean. Only draw back is the gold, I actually like the looks but it wears off quickly, but imho it just looks more rock and roll. Value: Well worth the money. Stock it's a rock machine if one were inclined to install a new set of pickups to match their musical tastes it would only get better. Manufacturer Support: Hard to rate this as I have never had to deal with them after owning 3 Epiphone guitars so to me that is worth a 9. The Wow Factor: It's an explorer, from Ricky Medlocke to ZZ-Top, Ace Frehley most rock icons have used an explorer at some point! Overall: I waited a while before I wrote this because I was so blown away by the take it out of the box and use it scenario. I can see myself having this in my collection indefinitely.

"Never to old for an Explorer!" submitted February 1, 2010

By a customer from charter.net
Overall
Musical Background: Is there anything below amateur?
Music Style: Rock, Country
Sound: I play the Explorer through a 25W Fender amp, you can go from clear as a bell tones to that ZZ Top growl. Very pleased overall with the sustain, rings forever. Feature: Two volume and one tone with a 3 way switch, can't get any easier. Ease of Use: Out of the box and all I had to do was tune it and plug it in. If you can't get the tones you want from this guitar you don't need to be playing. Quality: Mine is Natural Korina, color is not too vibrant (good thing). Frets all feel excellent and don't shred your fingers. Gold plated mechanics are nicely done, not overly flashy. Value: Beats my 72 Fender Tele Squire reissue. Best $500 I have spent. Manufacturer Support: Not had to use support The Wow Factor: I'm 50 and thought it would look out of place. Nothing further from the truth it fits and feels great. Weight is nice balance on the strap is comfortable. Overall: I don't plan on getting rid of the Explorer any time soon. Looked at a Dean Z-X which was very light but did not feel right. Peavey Rotor EX lines were a little to sharp and squared for my liking. I have played guitar on and off since I was 16 and now I'm 50. I am still just a beginner. If you are a parent and thinking of buying a guitar for your kid, don't buy a cheap guitar and don't buy one that's overly expensive. This guitar fits in a perfect niche for the beginner on up.
16 of 21 people (76.19%) found this review helpful. Did you?

"Epiphone 1958 Korina Explorer Guitar - better than expected, well worth the price" submitted July 8, 2012

By David M in suffern, NY
Overall
Musical Background: Mostly electric guitar. Played in high school but started taking it very seriously at age 47 for the last 3 years.
Music Style: rock, blues, prog rock, classic rock
Overall: For the price, this is the 2nd best value in guitar I've come across, the other was a PRS SE (and not all of them are, I just happened to get a great one). All reviews of this Epi people dissed the pickups, so maybe I was expecting worse, but I like them. I have a Gibson Les Paul and love those pickups and these are voiced differently, so it is an interesting difference. They take dirt and other pedals well. The guitar looks beautiful and the Korina was finished nicely, and has a nice weight to it. The neck needed a little adjusting. The fretboard is ok, could be better, but for the price you can't expect perfection. Tuners are fine, stays in tune for me. Bridge is fine. When I got it I thought I'd invest in changing the electronics and possibly tuners, but so far I see no need to do that. If it were my main axe maybe, but if it were my main axe, then I would have spent all that extra money and gotten a Gibson.

"Best guitar i own, and it'll stay that way." submitted December 29, 2007

Overall
Musical Background: i am in a band at school and i made a band of rock at home. Active musician
Music Style: rock, meatal, alternative, and some hardcore.
Sound: Ok... definatly like the best sound i've heard and guitar play, or atleast any guitar i have. My main guitar that i used before this is a fender stratocaster. Sure the strat sounds beautiful but this guitar is soring high right when you play the first time. It works well with distortion and w/o. The difference between this and my strat is that my strat has single coil pick-ups and my explorer has humbuckers. Humbuckers are just 2 single coil pick-ups put together basically, hence the name; hum Bucker. Feature: It came with everything BUT a whammy bar. Personally i like this guitar with out the whammy anyways though because sometimes the whammy gets in the way or cramps the style of the guitar. Ease of Use: WAYYYYY easier then most guitars i know of. It may be just as good as my strat. I tried this out in a store and i fell in love. I tried almost every single guitar in the freaking store and hell.. this is the easiest. (hint hint, buy it its good.) =) Quality: No problems with anything falling off or breaking yet lol. I think this guitar is one of the best made epiphones out there and the wood that they used for it is just beautiful. ( i got natural color) This guitar is very durable but the only downside is that when you turn around, you're very liable to bump something with the huge explorer wingy thingy lol. Definatly tourable. you could easily take this on tour with you. Value: very good value. price is great for whAT you get. Manufacturer Support: Haven't delt with this yet. The Wow Factor: very sexy.... hehe the girls would be all over you with this baby. Of course because it is an explorer, it will rock out loud. Overall: i expect to get a les paul in a year and if it would be any better than this i would tell you. I plan to keep this baby for ever and ever. My whole family is impressed with the guitar. =)
20 of 28 people (71.43%) found this review helpful. Did you?

"Modify This Great Looking Guitar and Gig on a Budget!" submitted November 1, 2011

Music Style: Classic Rock, Hard Rock, Heavy Metal, Blues
Sound: First, acoustically, this guitar is as loud as my Gibson Flying V, which is loud indeed. When you plug in, though, the pickups are pretty substandard. While you can get somewhat serviceable tones out of the neck and bridge positions, in the middle position it sounds boomy with little body or definition. I bought this as a project guitar anyway and replaced the pickups with a set of DiMarzio Super Distortions and upgraded the electronics. Once I did that, this thing sounds bloody sweet. So if you invest an extra $250 or so for pickups, innards and labor, you get a sound that can go from Gary Rossington on the one hand to a nice, surprisingly rich 70's and 80's hard rock or classic rock tone on the other. Unless you put EMG's into it, though, it will not do modern metal or Metallica type stuff. I find using these babies as project guitars a good alternative to spending $1400 for a Gibby Explorer. Feature: It comes with Grover tuning machines, so it will stay in tune. The color of the body, while looking kinda goldish in the vendor's photos (the stock pickups have gold covers on them, too) is actually a nice reddish brown. The wood quality, while of a lower stripe than on a Gibby, is more than good enough to get the job done. Modify this axe and you can gig with it. There have been some reported issues with the plastic nut, but not on mine since the slots were cut correctly and don't snag the strings. It will also neck dive, which isn't that big a deal since that's an easy thing to get used to compensating for. Or you can just have a tech change the strap position. Ease of Use: The original set up from the factory was relatively high in the upper registers, making playing fast there somewhat awkward. The tech who did the pickup replacement tweaked the action for me gratis and it made a big difference in playability. Keep in mind that the factory set up from Gibson on my V was far worse, though. Few guitars come right out of the box ready to play fast on without a bit of adjustment, anyway. There is zero fret buzz, btw. Quality: Evaluating the stock instrument, I had to dock it two stars for the substandard pickups and the cheap Korean electronics plus the high action out of the box, even at this price point. If you change them out, though, this baby can scream and becomes a definite nine or better. It is perhaps a reflection of the actual overall quality that after waiting for rather a long time for used ones to pop up on the sites of retailers I trusted none showed up, So I felt compelled to buy one new. It's a beautiful looking axe anyway. Value: The price is low enough and the basic quality is good enough that hot rodding it is still a much more than viable proposition. And it looks killer. As a project guitar for someone who wants to gig on a budget this is a pretty solid investment. In fact, I'm thinking of buying and modding another one. The Wow Factor: This is a great looking instrument with some pretty solid features. Epiphone could easily upgrade the pickups (for example, by putting a Duncan, or for us 70's relics, the Dimarzio SD, in the bridge) and the electronics and charge another hundred dollars and deserve to get it. Overall: Again, as long as you mod the pickups and electronics, this is a great buy for the classic or hard rocker and I expect to play it for the rest of my life.

"1958 Karina Explorer" submitted June 17, 2012

By a customer from sbcglobal.net
Overall
Musical Background: Playing for 20+ years. play at local clubs every weekend.
Music Style: Classic and southern rock
Overall: Excellent guitar! The feel the sound of this guitar is amazing! If you play any Lynyrd Skynyrd this guitar is a must have! It was good enough for Allen Collins it will work for you too. It takes a little getting use to depending on what your use to playing. The looks alone of this guitar will blow you away. Then plugged into a good tube amp it will sing or it will scream!

"Great Buy!!!!!!!!!" submitted March 5, 2008

Musical Background: Guitarist, Co Band Manager
Music Style: Classic Rock
Sound: The pickups are good and it sounds great I just wish that when you switch pickups it didn't sound like you switched guitars. Feature: There's volume and tone knobs, a pickup selector and strings, no real exiting features. Ease of Use: the necks fast and its stock with a nice action level Quality: its the best quility guitar I've owed, I've had it for about 2 months and the gold is already wearing away on the bridge pickup were I rest my hand though. Value: Its worth every penny

"Cool Collector Guitar" submitted January 13, 2017

By Jake Walker in Indianapolis, IN
Overall
Musical Background: professional musician since age 12. Currently 31 years old, gigging 2-3x/week.
Music Style: Classic Rock, Blues, rock.
Overall: I purchased this guitar from zZounds in mid December. I have been a professional musician since age 12 and have a vast knowledge of guitars and alike instruments. I bought this guitar because I have always wanted this specific guitar. The guitar arrived a few days late due to an ice storm, at no fault to zZounds. Otherwise the customer service was great. As for the instrument itself: The stock pickups are garbage. I could tell that right away once plugging it in. They are very muddy in the middle range and do not produce a very pleasant clean tone. (My live rig is a 2x12 U.S.A. Fender Hot Rod Deville). I immediately ordered a set of Seymour Duncan 59 Humbuckers and have since then replaced the stock pickups. The 59's sound HUGE in this guitar and the sustain is incredible. The pots and other wiring are fine, other than the wire connected to the tone switch is too short to put the switch in the proper direction. Unless you want a crooked switch, your forced to position it as the bridge pickup is the UP position on the switch and the neck pickup in the DOWN position, the reverse of standard positioning. This is Epiphone's fault as the wire needed to be about another half inch longer. (The pickup swap did not effect the length of the switch wire in any way). The routing inside the guitar is sloppy, along with the neck joint having a sizable gap that would not be acceptable in a higher end instrument. The neck is very flat and wide. It isn't necessarily THICK, but rather the width of the fretboard is fairly large, making the strings much further apart than that of a strat, tele, or other slim necked guitars. This has taken a good amount of getting used to as I primarily play strats and tele's. The tuners are OK, NOT GREAT. I will eventually replace them with locking tuners. They hold tune enough to play a few songs as long as you aren't doing heavy bending, otherwise they slip. ( I use Ernie Ball Beefy Slinky 54-11's). The neck is very easy to bend, I find myself having to be conscious of how hard I am gripping the neck while playing in order to not bend the guitar out of tune. I have made SEVERAL attempts at tightening the truss rod in order to help with this, but unfortunately doing so causes extreme fret buzz on the low E string. Even adjusting the bridge height and tail piece does not alleviate this issue. I had to settle for a nearly all the way loose truss rod in order to keep the action of the guitar at a reasonable level. I would recommend planning to have a fret job done to this instrument if you intend to use it regularly. Every one of the volume/tone knobs cracked when I was removing them for the first time in order to pull the pots and solder in the new pickups. I was VERY careful removing them, but they are clearly very cheap. To make all that a bit easier to follow: Sub-Par parts on this guitar: Pickups Tuners Volume/Tone Knobs Frets I also plan to put a Stetsbar system in place of the stop tail on this guitar. This will require swapping out the tuners for locking ones for sure. If you plan to use this guitar as your #1 for gigging out be prepared to spend at least an additional $200 in quality hardware (pickups/tuners). Also be prepared to have at minimum a professional setup done if you are unfamiliar with this process. I recommend a full fret job, but that is preference based. I need to also note that standard Gibson parts DO NOT fit on this instrument. (pickup housings, volume/tone knobs, pickguard, etc.) I attempted to replace some of these simple things for cosmetic appeal, only to find out that none of the common sized pieces fit on this instrument. After all this the guitar is very cool. I was aware of what I was purchasing when I placed the order. Epiphones are known to be hit or miss depending on the model. I've owned better Epiphone's and worse ones. Even after upgrading all the parts on this guitar it's still several hundred dollars cheaper than purchasing the Gibson version. So I would consider it worth the money. The previous reissue's have all appreciated in value dramatically since they were released so consider this an investment if taken care of well. Lastly I would recommend spending the extra money on the SKB explorer case, rather than purchasing the much cheaper Epiphone case made specifically for this guitar. The case is very cheap and rips super easily. I purchased it and expect it to last around 6 months of heavy use before it falls apart. Good luck everyone!

When you call, mention priority code 209-1S28. Llame Gratis en Español: 800-460-7976