When you call, mention priority code 1ZP-1QY3

Rating and Reviews: Epiphone LE ES-335 PRO

Get the iconic look of a 1958-era 335 and the modern sound of Epiphone's Alnico Classic PRO humbuckers with coil-tapping. This semi-hollowbody delivers both.

Overall

"I am a hard person to please. I'm grinning like a Cheshire cat" submitted September 20, 2014

By Roy D in Fort Scott, KS
Overall
Musical Background: I've played music since childhood, I got serious about guitar 10 years ago.
Music Style: Electric Blues
Sound: This is what I bought this guitar for. That warm, comfortable, full, humbucker tone wrapped around you, at the other end of the pots is a sign that says "stand back, I bite". The Alnico Classic Pros are a wonderful voicing for this guitar. The single coil tone is no dogeared P90, but neither is any other single coil. They do add a quack to the arsenal of sound this thing produces, and it does a pretty good shimmer. Feature: The block fret inlays, black top hat knobs, yellow switch cap, Maple/Birch laminates, Wilkinson Vintage Classic tuners, and the glorious Ice Tea burst set this guitar quite a bit apart from the standard Dot offering. The 60's Slim taper neck is nice for aged arthritic hands. Ease of Use: The laminated Maple/Birch top and sides let this guitar ring out. Great clarity. All the tones I grew up hearing and loving. It easily achieves melodious clean tones, and dirt and grit are but a knob turn away. The push/pull pots work well and no discernible electrical noise when used. Quality: I found no flaws with any part of the instrument. Like I said earlier, I'm hard to please, and very picky. There was absolutely nothing I did not love about this guitar. Especially the price, way more product in your hands than you are paying for. Value: This product walks all over ANY competition at this price point, for a very classy electric Semi-Hollow guitar. I dare anyone to find one better for less. Manufacturer Support: I own 13 Epiphones, whenever I have reached out to Epiphone for support, they have been knowledgeable and helpful. The Wow Factor: The finish begs you to look at it. The contrasting light and dark around the rim is just beautiful. The Wilkinson Vintage Classic tuners add an air of distinction with their green keys. Maybe the best fit and finish of all my Epiphones, and I have a lot. Overall: I am impressed. The guitar arrived on time. After I unbox, I usually reach for my nut drivers and screwdriver, to tighten everything that didn't get it at the factory. They were not necessary. The finish is flawless, and gorgeous. The setup was the best I had gotten on a product from zZounds, it was playable immediately upon tuning.
72 of 73 people (98.63%) found this review helpful. Did you?

"Race is on !" submitted December 20, 2014

By chris n in kingsport, TN
Overall
Musical Background: 28 yrs. guitar, just jam with family and at home these days.
Music Style: Love music period
Sound: 335 all the way around, coil split makes some great 50's tones thru a good tube amp with reverb and delay. Feature: Well made guitar, very close to real deal. May be why they got dc'd so quickly. Ease of Use: Almost plays itself! Quality: Want 335 tone and feel? Look no further, this is it! Beautiful in every way. Value: Best deal out there right now I think. Manufacturer Support: Dozens Epiphones over the years. Never a problem, they keep gettin better while some are getting worse! The Wow Factor: Nothin like a hollow body with a little drive on a tube amp, this guitar will not disappoint! I highly recommend it! Overall: These are already discontinued by Epiphone and when they are gone the value is going way up! Real 335 tone - maybe a little too good if ya know what I'm talkin about. If you can afford it get it. First rate axe, first rate collectible.

"Great Guitar, Great Buying Experience" submitted November 26, 2016

By Don P in Bay Area, CA
Overall
Musical Background: Performing and recording musician for 47 year. Advanced degree in music.
Music Style: Jazz, blues, country, studio.
Overall: I recently purchased the LTD ES 335 Pro. I originally played one in a store (not to be name here) but wanted to take advantage of zZounds' purchasing plan of installments on my credit card. The purchase was very easy and I received the guitar within the 2 day shipping period. Here is where it gets good. The original guitar that was shipped to me had cracks in the neck. I was able to get the RMA from zZounds right away and took the guitar to a UPS store. Within a matter of a few hours, zZounds notified me that they had the return in their system and the new guitar had already been shipped. When it arrived, it was perfect and I have spent the weekend playing it. Customer service issues will happen, but THAT is how to handle them. Well done, zZounds! The guitar is just wonderful. Nice full-sized neck profile that is broad enough to avoid hand cramps, but still comfortable to play. The mahogany neck is a really nice touch as it has noticeably more resonance than the maple neck in my Epi Dot. The body finish is quite pretty. The pickups were the real revelation. I am accustomed to liking a guitar but re-wiring. The stock pickups are very true to vintage. Not overly high output, so the guitar has a nice frequency range without being over dominated by mids. The coil tapping works quite well, yielding some very Telecaster'y tones that are quite useable. The overall weight of the guitar is right about what vintage instruments would have been. The instrument has a singing sustain and excellent clarity in all registers. The setup was adequate. I tweaked the action at the bridge a little bit and it was almost perfect within 5 minutes. The stock strings are .10 through .46. I am going to gauge up to D'Addario heavy bottoms (.10 through .52) after these strings wear out. Honestly, it plays beautifully. This is not just a nice guitar for the money, it is a REALLY nice guitar and a pleasure to play. Between this and my Dot, I have become quite the Epiphone fan

"Big Bang for your Bucks" submitted August 11, 2015

By Chuck R in Baltimore, MD
Musical Background: 40+ years
Music Style: Rock, Pop, Jazz
Overall: I had read some positive reviews and when the guitar went on sale and zZounds did a price match I decided to buy one. The guitar arrived safely packed with no damage in its original box. I checked it over thoroughly and the fit and finish were excellent. It is strung with 10's which is the same gauge I normally use. On testing it out the action was just a little too low for my style of playing. The neck was perfectly straight with no relief and the strings buzzed some. It also needed the intonation set as it was off but these are just routine adjustments that I do with all my guitars to get them to play how I like. The electronics work as designed and the overall build quality inside and out was excellent. The new alnico humbuckers the Epiphone is using in the guitar sounds very good. I had originally thought that I would change them out but that sound so good I going to keep them it. If it ain't broke why fix it. There were really only two items I would like Epiphone to address. When Epiphone levels the frets the seem to just lightly sand the frets to crown them leaving them too rough and gritty feeling. They should be polishing them off more. The other is that the nut appears to be made of plastic and it initially caused some tuning problems where you would bend a string and the nut would grab the string and keep it from returning to correct pitch. Some string lube seems to greatly reduced the problem. I would like to see them go to something like the Tusq synthetic bone material which would work much better. I highly recommend these new Epiphone guitars. They look great, sound great and with some minor adjustments can also play great. I wish they would have had guitars this nice when I was starting out many moons ago. Would have saved many hours of playing grief for sure. If you're thinking of getting a semi-hollow body style guitar, check this guitar out.

"Amazing guitar ... Epi got this one right..." submitted November 11, 2015

By Ken P in Lockport, NY
Musical Background: Playing 45 yrs... Audio engineer 35 plus years
Music Style: rock, blues
Overall: Ordered this beauty on Oct. 12 2015 it arrived on Oct. 15 2015... After unpacking it I was blown away at the beautiful Iced Tea finish. Everything is very well done... bindings are flawless, frets are rounded nice on the ends although they felt a tad gritty, inlays are perfect... very comfortable neck profile. The best of all 10 of the Epi's I own...The hardware is solid... The pickups sound great... love the coil splitting feature... not just a gimmick... really allows for many great tonal options. Setup was just ok... The neck was way too flat causing lots of string buzz, a slight slacking of tension on the truss rod solved this. Intonation was also slightly out. The nut was a little sticky causing tuning stability issues but some graphite fixed that. I don't like the tuning keys... I wish Epi had put the 18:1 Grover's on this instead, I will be swapping them out . I own 18 guitars total and since this baby arrived they are all collecting dust. I just can't put it down... plays like a dream and it just sounds fantastic.I'll never be able to afford the Gibson version but after playing this thing for a few weeks I can't see any reason to... simply put this a great guitar. Get one before they are gone!

"Workhorse!!!!" submitted June 9, 2016

By Chris Ellis in Birmingham , AL
Overall
Musical Background: Been playing for 30 years and gig regularly.
Music Style: Blues, classic rock, alternative country and r&b
Overall: I've waited a little over a year to review this guitar so I could give a more experienced opinion. I have gigged at least once a month with this guitar and have recorded with it so I've put this thing through its paces. Fit and finish is outstanding. These new probucker pickups are stellar. It is always in tune and has never given me any problems. I currently use a DSL 40 with minimal pedals and this guitar oozes with tone. I don't use the push/pull pots that often but it's nice to know it's there if I want to thin out my tone. I've also played this thing through blues juniors, deluxe reverbs and an old musicman 60 with 210's and it never disappoints. If you want a beautiful semi hollow body that won't bust the bank, this is the guitar for you. For under $450 it is an amazing value. I love it!

"Very pleasantly surprised" submitted December 3, 2014

By Ted H in Nashville, TN
Overall
Musical Background: Played years ago and recently started again.
Music Style: a little of this, a little of that.
Overall: My limited edition Epi ES-335 Pro arrived in excellent condition. The finish and set-up were outstanding and it was ready to play with a quick tune-up right out of the box. And, the ice tea burst finish is even more beautiful and distinctive than I expected. This guitar is a definite WOW!

"Epiphone that holds its own against any Gibson (I'm not kidding!) " submitted February 3, 2017

By Ken Roxburgh, Jr. in Stafford, VA
Overall
Musical Background: Guitar, drums, Play at home and with friends...
Music Style: Blues, Rock
Overall: I bought this guitar last year and gave it a great review then but, it's taken months and my spending over ten times the price on a similar Gibson Model for me to realize just how good this guitar is. I named my Epiphone ES 335 Pro, Wolf because it cries, it howls and it barks and growls. This is the very best quality, best sounding, best playing guitar value you'll ever find, anywhere. I'm really glad I bought mine. I really didn't think you could find this nice an instrument at this price. Killer Humbuckers with split coils make this guitar capable of so much. It's a true MONSTER...BEAUTIFUL! You'll thank me and Epiphone and zZounds when they deliver yours. You definitely will not be disappointed.

"Forget the price and think about it as great instrument period!" submitted October 29, 2015

By Bogdan R in Phoenix, AZ
Musical Background: Recording, playing live
Music Style: anything but heavy metal
Overall: I've been playing for over 25 years original scene, cover band scene as well as recording for friends as well as movie events. I have spent thousands of dollars on guitarist of all price ranges. Recently I was on the market for semi-hollow Guitar to replace my heritage 535 (that I paid $2500 for). So I did my research and narrowed down my search to Gibson, Heritage and Epiphone. Even though I played a lot of boutique builds as well as custom shop products, Epiphone brand is not new to me. Years back, I had Sheraton II, which I liked, but it was missing that something I was looking for. Having over $2000 set aside on my account I decided to give a shot and try this Epiphone limited-edition 335. My assumption was that I have to replace pickups, wiring and most likely tuners. When guitar arrived I quickly did its evaluation. Goes without saying that strings have to be replaced as it wouldn't be wise decision for any company to ship guitar with expensive ones. Quality wise I did not find any flaws. It was on par with my Heritage 535. Sound wise – I think it exceeded the sound of Heritage. And from what I remember playing Gibson 335, Epi sounds superior to both aforementioned mentioned models. Its clean sound as well as especially overdriven, reminds me a lot of Larry Carlton and Robin Ford sound. It's not too aggressive with its clarity and ability to apply dynamics makes it shine. To summarize – it looks great, it plays great and it sounds wonderful, at stupidly crazy insane price. I'm really contemplating to buy another one just to have it even though it doesn't align with my philosophy not to keep redundant gear. I’ve been involved in contract manufacturing portal for past 15 years and what I’ve noticed is that Made in China no longer affiliates with poor quality. It’s been so long this country been providing manufactured goods worldwide that I believe its manufacturing base finally matured and learned to match if not exceed US quality. Unfortunately to me slogans “Made in here” or “Made in there” don’t set quality expectations anymore. Guitars shouldn't cost as much as they do these days therefore to me it is fully justified to purchase imported instruments.

"Sweet Iced Tea!!!!" submitted February 19, 2015

By Doug S in Nashville, TN
Overall
Musical Background: Former Touring/Recording Drummer for 35 years. Play guitar for fun.
Music Style: Blues, jazz, R&B, Funk, Soul
Overall: First of all, thanks to zZounds for great service and quick delivery. A great experience all around.As a former collector of vintage guitars, I have owned and played many great guitars ranging from original vintage instruments to Custom Shop reissues from Gibson & Fender.Due to circumstances beyond my control, I no longer have my guitar collection, but wanted to have a decent, but inexpensive guitar to play at home. In anticipation of receiving this Epiphone ES-335 Pro, I purposefully lowered the bar and expected nothing more than a serviceable guitar that I would more than likely have to revamp extensively just to get it playable.I am very happy to say that I was very WRONG. Is it a Gibson? ..... No, but it is in its' own right a really nice playing and great sounding ES-335 that's very reminiscent of the real deal. Not just a great guitar 'for the money', but simply a great guitar period. I don't know how they can offer such a great guitar for so little money even knowing of it being manufactured in China.Fit & finish was top notch. The fretwork was smooth and intonation was spot on. I originally figured on replacing the nut, polishing the frets and replacing the pick-ups, toggle switch & pots. After playing the guitar for a few days, I probably don't need to do anything, but play and enjoy the instrument. I am not too fond of the coil tap feature, but that's just my personal preference. The Alnico pick-ups certainly replicate the sound quality of vintage Gibsons so the pick-ups stay. The only thing that I may do is remove the coil taps switches/pots and replace with regular CTS pots. Also may replace the plastic nut with a bone nut.All in all, this is a terrific instrument that allowed me to get back into a 335 without breaking the bank. One more thing, the Iced Tea Burst is awesome and reminds me of the Gibson 'Larry Carlton Signature Model' that was out a few years ago. Bravo Gibson/Epiphone and zZounds!!!!Thanks!
17 of 18 people (94.44%) found this review helpful. Did you?

"This guitar has the WOW factor built into it!" submitted March 26, 2015

By Harold Lynch in Ft. Loudon, PA
Overall
Musical Background: Been playing guitar for 35+ years in several road bands. Currently playing gospel music.
Music Style: Christian, southern rock, country.
Overall: I've owned several Gibson Les Pauls, Fender Strats, and a Gretch guitar over the years I played in bands. I was a bit hesitant in purchasing this guitar. I expected it to come needing some adjustments, and maybe pickups, etc. I was pleasantly surprised however. The intonation was spot on, action was set low with NO string buzz...just needed tuned up and it plays like butter! The only thing I'll change is the plastic nut to a bone nut. You can use this guitar to play nearly any style of music, and the Ice Tea color is a beauty. Hats off to Epiphone for a classy guitar!

"Happy happy happy with this guitar" submitted April 6, 2017

By Johannes Labusch in New York, NY
Overall
Musical Background: Semi pro, songwriter, acoustic and electric guitar, some bass, vocals
Music Style: singer-songwriter stuff, bluesy, folksy.
Overall: Let me add my enthusiasm to everybody else's. This guitar is an amazing value, even if you've seen and played affordable instruments made in China before. Not only did the guitar arrive without the blemishes or problems I anticipated (paint job inside the f holes), it plays great and is really well set up, which seems to be a relatively recent improvement for guitars from China. I think I read somewhere that Epiphone does their setup work for these in the US. Whether that's true or not, there's nothing that seems to need work, unless I might change to thicker strings at some point. Let me talk about the ice tea burst for a moment. I was really worried, because I had seen this guitar on Youtube and some other places, looking very red on the outside and very yellow in the center. The finish on mine is lovely. It's a rich, dark caramel brown around the border, which smoothly blends into a golden yellow. It doesn't look quite as gorgeous as on this website, but I like it a lot. It's a pleasant change from the usual vintage sunburst. While we are talking about looks: The faux Kluson tuners work well, but don't look that great. The grey plastic is flat and has no transparency. Easy replacement. I think I'll go with the nickel-plated Grovers with tulip buttons. I love the choice of the black speed knobs. Generally, all design choices are right on this one: The small block inlays are the right step up from the humble dots, but don't seem garish or over-the-top. Similarly, the good old fashioned "flowerpot" on the headstock appears in all its noble understatement. True, the huge Epiphone headstock has always been a bit of a joke; but at least it's not the horrendous abomination that keeps design-conscious players from settling for one of their Les Pauls. It's just weirdly out of proportion, with its massive extension over the top tuners. Sounds: I didn't think I'd need or like the coil splitting capability, but it's very welcome as a spunky rythm sound. I usually keep the coil on the bridge PU tapped, with the volume rolled off a bit, then engage the neck PU for solos in humbucking mode. Bang! Massive volume jump, and the amp suddenly gets tickled into overdrive. Middle position yields rich, sweet sounds for strumming or subtle single-note lines. Neck shape: flat but round, very comfortable without the weird flatness you find on Casinos for example. For me, a player who sits down a lot and is most at home on acoustics, the huge lower bout is perfect. The guitar sits snug in my embrace, no strap necessary, no slipping, and you can feel its resonance with every chord. You know, there is something to be said for relying on a tried and true design when buying an affordable guitar. The 335 has been a main staple for all these years because it just works. I'm not going to claim that this is every bit as good as a 3500$ Gibson. The finish is very shiny and sort of plastic-y, far from a subtle nitro laquer. But the differences are astonishingly small, most of them are cosmetic, or have to do with the mojo, the way you feel while playing. That can be important stuff. But if you want those gorgeous semi-acoustic humbucker sounds at a budget price, you can really, really achieve that goal, thanks to Epiphone. It's crazy to me that this guitar costs less than a Telecaster made in Mexico. But it's a good kind of crazy!

"Excellent Guitar at a Bargain Price" submitted April 18, 2015

By John F in Silver Spring, MD
Musical Background: Have been playing guitar for 11 years
Music Style: Rock, blues, country, alternative
Overall: There are a ton of reviews out there for this guitar. I know because I read a boatload of them before I bought. I saw many very favorable reviews, and a few from people who appeared to have gotten lemons. I can find no problems or flaws with the guitar I received. The only incredibly minor issue was the black paint around the "F" holes wasn't perfect. It took me about 30 seconds with my fingernail to scrape off the very slight bit that was sloppy. I'm extremely impressed with the build quality, fit, finish, appearance, setup, playability, sound and features of this guitar. I have two Gibson guitars, a '94 Les Paul and a 2011 SG with coil tapping. I would say that the build quality and setup, and feel of the neck is similar to the SG when I purchased it new. The coil tapping on the E335 produces significantly greater variations in tone than my SG. Overall, I think the E335 is a steal for $400, and I couldn't be happier with this purchase.

"A very good guitar at a very reasonable price" submitted May 6, 2015

By Daniel H
Overall
Musical Background: 35 years, guitar, bass & mando....I am a at home only player, self enjoyment only.
Music Style: Blues, Rock, metal, country and jazz
Overall: I liked this Epi 335 so much I ordered an Epi case for it, I also liked it so much that I treated myself to the real deal Gibson ES-335 Memphis. Anyway I got the ice tea finish model, flaws? yes there are a few but for the price it's unbeatable....the play-ability is excellent, intonation is good, the stock pickups aren't bad, I only had to adjust the neck and lower the bridge a little and she plays sweet. Just love this guitar. Get one while you can, even if it's an ebony or color you do not care much for.

"Serious Bang for the Buck!" submitted January 27, 2016

By Michael Hanson in Wimberley, TX
Overall
Musical Background: I have been playing acoustic and electric guitar for 50 years. I used to perform professionally but now play for pleasure.
Music Style: Blues, classic rock, R&B, funk, folk, swamp rock, reggae, honky-tonk country - hey, if it sounds good, do it!
Overall: I've had my eye on the Epiphone ES-335 PRO for several years after reading a rave write-up in one of the popular guitar magazines. I recently had a little extra cash to spend and started looking around for one. I don't normally like to buy guitars sight unseen and sound unheard, but none of the local guitar shops in Austin had one so I checked online. Fortunately, Zzounds still had a few in stock (and they were on sale) so I crossed my fingers and took the plunge on one with the iced tea burst finish. When the box arrived I nervously held my breath, not really knowing what to expect at all. Well, let me tell you. Not only did this turn out to be a great guitar for the money, it is a truly beautiful instrument that I haven't been able to put down since I got it! The finish is glorious, the pick-ups sound great, it plays like a dream, and the set-up was spot on. I figured that I would need to replace the pickups and electronics eventually, but the pickups really sound quite good and the electronics and hardware all seem perfectly fine. Great job, Epiphone! I will replace the plastic nut with bone and might also upgrade the tuning machines since, as primarily a blues player, I tend to bend my strings a lot and need a little extra tuning stability. But other than that I am both totally pleased and surprised that I could get a guitar this good for less than $500. Yeah! I've been playing for roughly 50 years and have let a number of priceless guitars slip from my grasp, including an original 1956 LP Gold Top and a 1966 ES-330. This El Cheapo Epiphone is a keeper, through and through, and yet I won't feel like I need to lock it up in a vault when I'm not playing it! If anyone out there has been sitting on the fence about purchasing the Epi ES-335 PRO, take my advice and jump on it while you can. I've heard that this model has been discontinued (maybe they're too good for the money?), but Zzounds tells me that they'll be getting a few more from Gibson in March. I'm tempted to order another one for a back-up, but my wife would likely perform amateur surgery on me if I went there! I also have to give a big shout-out to Zzounds for their exceptional service. I have been shopping with one of their competitors (a very large and well-known Internet presence) for years, but Zzounds is pretty hard to beat in terms of service and support and the responsiveness of their staff. Thanks to Zzounds for making my nervous Internet shopping experience such a pleasure.

"Awesomely cool tone monster !" submitted November 13, 2016

By Ben M in Plant City, FL
Overall
Musical Background: Been playing nearly 50 yrs. Mostly record nowadays.
Music Style: Rock, blues, jazz & country.
Sound: This thing is a tone monster. Really nails the classic paf sound, plus the addition of the coil tap feature make this instrument incredibly versatile. Feature: Love the Iced Tea burst, very cool. The slim taper 60's neck is dead on, what we used to refer to as a pancake. The coil tap pickups open up a world of tone possibilities. Ease of Use: Looks, sounds and plays great. Actually blows away both the Gibson 335's and Epiphone dot's I've owned. Plays like butter. Quality: Workmanship and detail are top notch. I will be growing old with this guitar. Value: Best possible value ! Big bang for the buck. You won't find a better instrument in this price range, period. Manufacturer Support: I have dealt with Gibson/Epiphone over the years, always pleasant with support. Only issue, went to register this at Epiphone and the menu only had es335 pro, not the Limited Edition version this model is. The Wow Factor: Very cool vibe to this guitar. Great visual appeal. Overall: Epiphone has made an outstanding instrument here. Well crafted, amazing sound and playability, looks great and has a cool vibe. And...all at a great price point. Way more than the price suggests.

"Best Bang For The Buck!" submitted March 26, 2016

By George B in San Diego, CA
Musical Background: Played bass for 40 years, now play with friends
Music Style: Anything I can
Overall: Ok, Ive had this guitar for a few months. It has become my favorite guitar for practicing because I am tall and it allows me to sit comfortably and also has good acoustic resonance if played unplugged. Fit and finish were flawless. I will most likely replace the nut with a bone one in the future but the "plastic" one is fine for now. My friend has a 60's Gibson ES-335 as well as a newer one (year ?). He was absolutely blown away by the sound and playability of my guitar and he has played for over 40 years. At this price you are getting a guitar worth at least 3 times as much. Completely blows any Epi Dot I have played. Get one before they are gone!

"What a Great Quality Guitar..." submitted December 25, 2015

By Daniel P in Cottleville, MO
Overall
Musical Background: Been Playing for over 50 Years....
Music Style: Blues , Classic Rock
Sound: The pickups go right along with the sound of the Original PAF's. Having the Coil Split feature works well too. Kind of strange having a single coil on a 335 Guitar. Just opens up the Range for more music styles. Making this as a good "Go To" Guitar. Feature: As I said above the Coil Split Pickup is the top Feature. Fantastic Range for this Epiphone. Ease of Use: Plug and Play, Can't get any easier.. Quality: Not one Imperfection. Finish was perfect. Binding was a nice tight fit. Does not look like a foreign cheap guitar. Has the Quality of an American Treasure. Value: The price was right on. I would have guessed of I if not know, this was an Elitist worth three times the price. Manufacturer Support: I have never had to use Epiphone Repair. Never had any problems when I would Call Customer Service with questions. Most recent was best strings to use with Epiphone Broadway.. The Wow Factor: The look gives the impression of an expensive Guitar. The Inlays and Binding just adds the the perfect finish. Great looking and Playing Guitar. Bargain.. Overall: It almost seems that this Model was miss Priced? Great Quality and Sound for the Price.. My first Guitar in 1964 was an Epiphone Crestwood Custom. This Model was made extremely well. It almost seems to be on the level of an Elitist..

"performing above it's pay grade" submitted March 22, 2017

By Paul D in Watertown, CT
Musical Background: Long time gigging and recording musician
Music Style: Rock, hard rock, garage-punk, indie rock, alt country
Sound: Secondly, there is a wider range of sounds available than in any Les Paul I have owned, even without considering the coil-tap. The bridge is hot enough for big- heavy rock riffs and sustain; and the middle position has a ton of bass- the middle and neck positions are bottomless and warm. The guitar is loud, not soft, and it is not overly tight or compressed, allowing it to play well with mid-boost pedals(like tube screamers) and it is equally nice with Fender scooped or mid-range heavy Marshall style amps. Feature: I have noticed a few things. First, this guitar is big and feels light and comfortable to hold and play. Just loo at the distance between the edge of the body and the stop tail bridge! huge! As noted, the coil tap adds some "thinness" to the tone, and removes some bass- but that is a good thing at times. The tuners are Gibson style tuners and the style matches the look of the guitar. Many upgrades from the traditional dot. Ease of Use: Very easy to play, but you will need to play a lot to find out all of the sounds. Quality: Cosmetically- 10/10. Beautiful, shiny, light, comfortable. The toggle was a bit touchy, with dead sound on the neck, but, a wiggle and its fixed. This happens on Gibson Guitars as well. No other issues, although, perhaps the tuners could have a better ratio, be a bit more solid- but that is very minor. Value: Yes. Excellent value. I was hesitant at first, being an Epiphone, but I am now looking for more Epiphone products. Manufacturer Support: N/A The Wow Factor: The look and feel is vintage. Overall: I bought this Guitar in summer of 2016 from zZounds. I bought a case on Amazon.The guitar came packed beautifully in the box, unplayed- and full of materials, stickers and the like. First off, the iced tea burst is a beautiful finish, unique and unlike traditional cherry or antique sunburst. I checked the intonation and tuned it- played both acoustically and plugged in without a hitch.I have been playing/recording/gigging with the guitar for about 6 months or more now. My other guitars include a Fender 72' reissue thinline(MEX)- a 2013 Gibson Studio Min-E tune. and a Fender 1983 American Tele.

"Like Magic!" submitted September 27, 2015

By Kevin O in Gilroy, CA
Overall
Musical Background: Lifetime lover of music, trying to catch up with my children as they learn.
Music Style: Rock, Blues
Overall: I ordered this guitar on Friday morning, Sep. 25. I came home from a musical at 5PM Saturday afternoon, and there was a giant box on my porch! I figured it had to be just the case, but no, everything was there, in essentially 1 day. I don't know how "standard shipping" got it here this quick, but it just adds to the sense of "destiny" one wants to feel for one's guitar. Truly it was like magic. I opened the box to a beautiful site, my case, with the guitar inside. It is stunning. I thought my "jones" would be satisfied by the purchase, but after playing it until my hands didn't work that well anymore, I find myself just staring at it... On top of all of this, zounds approved my multi-payment plan in about 15 minutes allowing me to grab one of these before they disappear off the market.

"Very, Very Nice! " submitted March 15, 2015

By Christopher M in Laconia, NH
Overall
Musical Background: 30 yrs of playing guitar, Play local clubs, Jam at home.
Music Style: Blues and Rock
Overall: Epiphone really hit the mark with this one! I've been playing for 30 yrs and own 8 guitars, including American fenders, Gibsons, Rickenbachers and Taylors. I would definitely say that this guitar is worth more than what I paid, great value for a great guitar! I bought two, one for a gift and one for myself. They both arrived in perfect condition and look great. They needed the usual basic set up, but I have yet to have to do that with any guitar I have ever bought. A quick lowering of the action and a tweak on the neck and they were ready to go. I like my action quite low and both guitars were able to achieve that. The pick ups sound very good and the coil split is a very nice addition.

"The 335 Pro in Teaburst Don't cry in your tea!" submitted December 20, 2016

By Timothy Hawkins in San Francisco , CA
Overall
Musical Background: I am a 5 year guitar player. I own 9 guitars. 4 Epiphones, 5 Squiers. I busk in SF.
Music Style: Blues, jazz, lite rock
Overall: If you smart consumers aren't aware. This 'AXE' is a 'DEAL MAKER'. If you can't make it to a dealer, and play one for yourself, 'PLEASE' listen. You will not be disappointed. This (at least the one I purchased) is styled after the late 50's version. Extended pick guard goes all the way to the bridge. A solid semi hollow body. Sustain for days. The neck is thicker than the Casino's. More like a 60's Les Paul Tribute Plus. Buy a hard case tuxedo for this gorgeous lady and raise the roof on your New Years celebration.

"Great deal on a sweet guitar!!" submitted November 25, 2015

By Chris H in Tulsa, OK
Musical Background: Been a bedroom rocker for 30 years
Music Style: Blues, rock, old school metal.
Overall: I was very surprised when my new guitar arrived only a few days after ordering it, once I unboxed my wonderful Epiphone ES 335 Pro, I knew I had made the right choice. It was very well made and set up well enough, I did change the strings to my usual GHS Boomers 10-46 and lowered the action a bit, from then on she was ready to go. I play mostly blues and hard rock and this Epiphone ES 335 nailed any tone you may need and plays very easily a looks like a million bucks as well I am pleased with zZounds for their assistance in getting my new baby on a convenient payment plan . I would highly recommend zZounds to anyone looking for great gear at the guaranteed lowest prices. Thanks.

"Epiphone hit this one out of the park!" submitted October 6, 2014

By Dave S in Columbus, OH
Overall
Musical Background: Been playing for about a year - and have a Fender Strat and a Blackstar HT-5
Music Style: Blues, Classic Rock, a bit of country
Overall: Have always wanted a Gibson ES-335. Have pined for that guitar for years - but they have ALWAYS been out of reach - new or used. Love the resonance of the semi-hallow body and the "sound" that the ES-335 makes when playing blues, country or classic rock (and even some newer stuff as well). I have been looking at the "kid brother" of Gibson for a while now - and their "on again, off again" ES-335 counterparts (and I am talking Epiphone ES-335 - not the Epiphone "Dot" here folks) - its the subtle differences that set them apart - and for me - the ES-335 from Epiphone comes as close as I am EVER going to get to that Holy Grail of the Gibson. At first I thought I may have to change pickups in the guitar - and have someone do a massive set up with a new nut and so forth - I honestly believed all of that, and was surprisingly WRONG. A small tweak here and there (and I do mean SMALL) - and this guitar SANG!! I was completely blown away how close it is!! No, it is not a Gibson - but it is about as close to a Gibson I am going to get - and for the thousands less that I had to pay - I couldn't be happier. Go play one and play a Gibson side by side - see if you can see or feel a two thousand dollar difference :)

"Great guitar" submitted March 18, 2015

By Jim Vance in Cheyenne, WY
Musical Background: 4 years, 1 year after 45 years off Jam at home
Music Style: Blues and Jazz
Overall: I had seen this guitar at another shop but missed out on getting one then ZZ had a post on Facebook and I pulled the trigger. WOW! this guitar is over the top! Slim taper 60 neck makes it a joy to play.The single coil tapping feature gives it a wider range of sounds and the overall fit and finish is top rate. I was hesitant about the color because the photos online don't do it justice, simply beautiful! I would recommend this guitar highly whether you play blues jazz or country.

"Great guitar" submitted January 26, 2017

By Michael E in Milford, DE
Musical Background: Professional 40+ years Guitar
Music Style: Rock,Blues, Christion, country
Overall: I just bought this guitar at zZounds. Excellent quality, perfect fret work and playability. This is a real ES 335 . How its done at this price point? amazing! Seriously! buy one of these before their gone. Mine took some minor setup, lowering the action and putting on a set of strings 9 - 42, check the intonation etc. Rockin bluz for dayz. No problems giging this guitar at all! Sweet pickups, plays sweet. Again , amazing! get one!

"i love this gtr" submitted August 11, 2015

By Joe R in Medford , NJ
Overall
Musical Background: 30+ years of playing gtr. Bass and piano player also. Owned recording studio in the past. Was in multiple bands and now jam to
Music Style: All styles of rock,blues and progressive
Overall: I'm a huge Gibson fan and owned quite a few different models. This epiphany sounds and plays better than any other gtr I've owned. The finish is beautiful but the playability and tone are more than I expected. The growl that comes out of this beauty is what I've been looking for for years. Blending the single and humbuckers is really cool. The D neck is comfortable and I had minor set up to do on arrival. Epiphone nailed this one, it's incredible and a huge value.

"Epiphone LTD ES 335 Pro" submitted March 6, 2015

By Kate B
Musical Background: I've been playing guitar for 40 years
Music Style: Rock, Atl country, Blues
Overall: I love this guitar! I had a small issue with the first one I received and zZounds staff took care of the replacement very quickly. I couldn't ask for better service and the quality of the ES 335 itself is just amazing for the price - way beyond my expectations. The Ice Tea Burst color is pretty impressive-a very distinctive look - I couldn't be happier with my purchase! Thanks, zZounds!

"Killer deal for getting into the semi-hollow game" submitted January 25, 2016

By Nick B
Overall
Musical Background: Casual long time guitar player...
Music Style: Folk, Country, Americana, Rock, Blues
Overall: I have played a ton of 335 type guitars over the last few months, from the Epi Dots and Sheratons, Eastmans, Ibanez Artcore Series, to several Gibsons. After this process I came to the conclusion that I would take a chance on ordering this guitar online before I actually played it! To my surprise it showed up and had a good feel right out of the box. It sounds great for a guitar in this price range, very resonant and the pickups are warm and full sounding through my Fender Blues Jr. The set-up was a bit rough but I took the stock strings off, lightly sanded the scratchiness out of the frets and polished them up. Then I gave the rosewood board a bit of lemon oil because it was a little dry. Then I lowered the action at the bridge and adjusted the intonation. Now it is playing great! The tuning stability is good but I am going to swap the stock plastic nut for a TusqXL and I think it will improve a bit of tuning and ad some more tone/sustain. Ill probably swap the bridge at some point if I really start loving this thing, and maybe add a Bigsby... Overall its not a $2,800 Gibby, but man it plays pretty close after a good setup, and its so so cheap for what you get...don't hesitate. Ice Tea burst is pretty cool...but its a lighter brown towards the edges than is seen in the pics here...

"Epiphone ES 335 Pro" submitted October 20, 2014

By Kevin L in Ocean, NJ
Overall
Musical Background: Playing 30 years, semi professionally, with gibsons and fenders.
Music Style: Classic rocker!
Overall: I ordered this guitar January 23 2014, received guitar August 25 2014. After getting it unboxed and tuned up, I found the guitar's intonation was quite a bit off, and the string action was high. The frets were unpolished and scratchy, cheap strings were used for shipping. I quickly tired of playing the guitar in this condition, and brought it in for adjustment. My tech spent a lot of time polishing the frets, adjusted the truss rod and saddles, new strings, intonation, etc. finally the cheap plastic nut had to be reslotted because nut was very high. $120 later and a second neck tweak, the guitar plays well. The pickups are good, the guitar screams with overdrive/distortion, clean jazzy tones are also acceptable. A good pallette of sounds are available for most genres. The neck has a nice fat feel to it which I like, I have large hands. Overall this is a good guitar for the money, but expect it to need a complete setup. Fit and finish are acceptable. Tuners are just ok, I'm going to replace them with better quality ones. Also considering a better bridge/stop bar. For $399 you cant go wrong, the gibson version is $3000. I like it, its a keeper.

"Wowzers!" submitted April 16, 2015

By Dave Kirby in Idaho Falls, ID
Overall
Musical Background: Been playing since the Beatles. Play guitar & bass. Professional, jam, whatever.
Music Style: Most genres, most involved w/ Christian, leading worship @ church.
Overall: I just received shipment on this beauty today. It was advertised as "blemished", for a hundred bucks less. So, I figured it would have a bubble in the finish, maybe a ding or scratch or something, but I've tried in vain to find the "blemish". Maybe, if you're real picky, you'd see the teaburst finish shading as a bit uneven (?), but I see a gorgeous, well set up, awesome sounding guitar. Thanks, Zzounds, for selling this "blemished" version of a true classic. Much obliged.

"Epiphone ES 335 Pro " submitted September 4, 2015

By Jim Mustard in San Diego, CA
Overall
Musical Background: Pro Player for 50 yrs.
Music Style: Rock. Blues. Jazz. Country
Overall: Buy this guitar! Get the HSC . You will be amazed at the quality of this axe. IceTea Burst is flawless. Split coil feature covers all the bases in any gig situation. Just a joy to play.Should cost a lot more than $419. Don't miss out on this unbelievable offer.

"epiphone ltd ed 335 " submitted January 17, 2016

By Anthony v in commack , NY
Musical Background: jam at home. playing for 20 years
Music Style: Rock ,
Overall: Received this guitar just recently, unbelievable how great it is ,absolutely love it ,have bought Gibson Les Pauls from zZounds, and this one could be a favorite, plays like a really expensive guitar, but its not ,highly recommend, pick it up if u can you cant beat the price.

"Buy this guitar even if you have 12 others you don't even play anymore!!" submitted August 8, 2015

By Jim M in San Diego, CA
Overall
Musical Background: 45+ years playing guitar.Played professionally.
Music Style: Rock, country, blues, Jazz
Overall: I've owned a Gibson ES 335 and the Epiphone ES 335 PRO is EVERY BIT it's equal. A bigger build on the Epiphone does make it a bit heavier weight wise. Otherwise it's a STEAL at current pricing. The Epiphone ES case is worth getting to protect what will certainly be a collectors guitar someday. The ICE TEA Burst makes this guitar a hands down winner!

"New Epi" submitted September 6, 2015

By Frank A
Overall
Musical Background: I've played 50+ years, in a few bands, currently play at home & with friends
Music Style: Blues, rock, bluegrass, jazz
Overall: I can't believe the quality craftsmanship of this guitar. The pickups are also exceptional. The guitar is beautiful and has wonderful tone.

"Great guitar!" submitted October 12, 2015

By John J in Indianapolis, IN
Musical Background: Weekend musician, playing for nearly 40 years
Music Style: rock, blues, jazz
Overall: This guitar is exactly what I was looking for. Rich tone, smooth neck, very tight feel. The coil splitting feature makes it versatile. I got the Tea-Burst finish which looks beautiful. Epiphone did a great job with this. And Zzounds got it shipped right away even though I chose normal shipping. This is one happy customer!

"AMAZING ES-335 GUITAR! AMAZING TONE! ALL INCLUDED!" submitted December 19, 2014

By andres Aybar in Miami, FL
Overall
Musical Background: more than 35 years. I play electric guitar. I play proffesionaly, jam and at home too.
Music Style: Play Blues, Rock, Country and latin rock.
Overall: Just checked a few vids at Youtube and saw my dream ES335 sound i was looking for many years at a fair price! Now i bought it from zZounds the Iced Tea and have to say that the dream is real! This guitar has everything! Although i received the guitar with the tone button broken but changed and put new one. It does not matter considering the price i paid for her so for me it deserves the five stars and more! This is the best guitar and deal ever made by Epiphone! All the good things are included in this one! IMHO and after my personal set up I have to say that this baby sings like the 1963 Eric Clapton ES335 TD! Buy one and you'll see what I am talking about! You won't be disappointed!

"Epiphone ES 335 pro" submitted March 29, 2015

By Joe Gerardi in New York, NY
Overall
Musical Background: 35 years, guitar.
Music Style: Classic Rock, Blues, Southern Rock
Overall: I have been playing guitar for over 35 yrs and own vintage Gibsons and Fenders. With that said I was very impressed with this Epi. It is not built like the Gibson 335 but I will tell you I enjoy playing it and have it on my wall as a daily player! Do your self a favor and pick one up, you will not be disappointed.

"Epiphone ES-335 Pro" submitted May 12, 2016

By Will Steele in Denton , MD
Musical Background: Over 40 years
Music Style: Country rock metal blue
Sound: Sound on these guitars are amazing the pickups are worth the price of by themselves Feature: The coil tapping on the pickups are an added bonus you can almost get strat like sounds the nickel Hardware seems to be top-notch play guitar stays in tune perfectly Quality: This guitar is well-made better than some Gibson's I own Value: Guitar is well worth the money The Wow Factor: The finish on the guitar is amazing Overall: Got this guitar few months ago plays and sounds awesome my first hollow body wasn't quite sure how it would sound for medium gain sound but it's awesome

"Great Value " submitted February 15, 2013

By Bob N in Woodbury, NJ
Musical Background: Life long professional musician for 50+ years
Music Style: Whatever pays bills
Overall: I was hot to get one of these for quite a while but other necessities made me put off my purchase. When I finally got around to buying one the only people having them in stock was Zzounds and they only had Ebony. Alas .....I can live with that. The finish and fit at all glue joints is flawless. I actually think that the only differences these days that gives Epiphone it's price advantage over Gibson is the overseas labor costs. Side by side with my 66' Riviera , the 335 Pro is almost identical in weight and all other measurements. The electronics are a bit brighter on the Pro , but that is not a big deal to adjust for. I love the pole tapping feature too . The sounds available are really quite broad and happily enough in the single coil , single pick up position the amount of added static normally associated with single coils isn't a problem even at higher volumes. A few things left me a bit disappointed . I am not very keen on the supplied Wilkinson tuners. I would have preferred Grovers but I guess Epihone was going for the vintage authenticity . The set up on this instrument was atrocious. Not only was the neck not adjusted properly but the action was unacceptable for any electric guitar let alone a Gibson / Epiphone product.. The frets were poorly finished resulting in a "scratchy" feeling when bending a note . The string slots on the nut were also improperly cut resulting in some really hard first fret fingering . One would think that with an all black guitar they would use an all black nut ? Not here .....white all the way. Anyway I plan to do some fret polishing and neck adjusting as well as some nut adjusting and post my results here . Over all I'm very pleased with the guitar and can accept the minor adjustment flaws as just my personal preferences being different from the builders. Who knew they liked playing guitars set up like cheese slicers? If you have any desires to purchase one of these fine instruments I strongly suggest you do it quickly as they are discontinued and if possble purchase from Zzounds. They have been absolutely wonderful to deal with.
47 of 51 people (92.16%) found this review helpful. Did you?

"Great Guitar" submitted August 17, 2015

By Orlando Alvarado in Newark, NJ
Music Style: Jazz, rock , fuzzion
Overall: I am just happy for this purshase, this guitar is amazing , I am not comparing with a gibson , but I have just to say , this guitar really surprise me , I compare diferent brands, and the gibson 335 , this specia edition is a must have , if you are playing , real things, I mean, gibson , Gresht , and you try this epiphone , you will say whaaat , this guitar is a gem for the money , I can't believe , but it is, I really happy , I can't said mine is special , but what zzound ship to me , was a perfect , neck , beatiful finish , great and versatil sounding guitar , if you thing you can get a wonderful , beautiful , workhorse intruments for 419$ , just try this especial edition 335 epiphone , don't let the china made fool you , the pickups and split coil system give to you , lot of option and wonderful sound , you can play blues , jazz, rock ,fussion , if you dream to get a semihollow body , and don't get 2 grants , buy this special edition until It would be gone , and buy it at zzound , you won't regret

"Update" submitted June 6, 2015

By Bob N in Woodbury, NJ
Musical Background: Life long professional musician for 50+ years
Music Style: Whatever pays bills
Overall: OK Folks I'm back with a road test update on this guitar. As I previously stated I wasn't happy with the set up on this instrument when I got it so I set about fixing that . Everything concerning the basic construction was great . No complaints there except perhaps fpr the tuners but I can live with them as long as they work properly and so far they have. I decided that I would adjust and set up this instrument for Ernie Ball Power Slinkies featuring the .11 high E string. From all the playing I do , my chops are pretty strong and I was pushing the supplied .10s all over the place causing intonation problems.I polished the frets after taping off the finger board with 600 emery paper. After I installed the new strings I adjusted the neck and it came around perfectly...straight as an arrow and so far has stayed that way . I set about adjusting the nut slots with my (appropriately named) nut files and all is well. The guitar plays like a dream now. I also installed a set of strap locks since they are cheaper than a neck repair due to a strap malfunction. Before I used it on a gig I decided to head out to a few local jam sessions to see how she would sound in a gig situation with different amps and with no pressure on my part. I know a lot of you are saying why didn't I just try it out at band rehearsal. The reality is that I am a "hired gun " so to speak. People call me when they need a guitar player and I show up and do the gig. So I don't have a steady band I play with. But the jam sessions offer me a chance to use a few different amps and stretch out in a situation where if the guitar isn't cutting it I can put it away and not have to worry about being stuck playing a bad sounding instrument all night long. That being said the first place I went to was a Blues Jam and the Epi did great. The Power Slinkies offered a firm but pliable feel . I had no bottoming out of notes on bends and the guitar spoke thru the band on solo work loud and clear. Nice definition too. I had no trouble with feedback at higher levels and the single coil buzz was minimal. I particularly liked the sound I got from tube amps . Nice and throaty with just a hint of distortion. The following weekend I hit a Jazz club and sat in on some standards .On this venue I played mostly highlight chords behind the piano and let the horns do most of the melody work. With the neck PU tone control cranked back I was ready for some real mud but not so. The sound was still nicely defined. On the few solos I took I tried the back PU with the tone control rolled down and the single coil option in use. The sound was pretty cool . The treble bite was still there but tempered nicely for the Jazz feel needed. All in all this guitar is generally associated with Rock and Blues but I would have no problem using it on any Jazz gig that came my way. Finally I hit a Country bar a week later . Hooray for pole tapping!! The back PU in single coil mode was awesome. I was able to get the perfect Country twang needed. I wanted to try the guitar with my church band but the leader has a strict rule about only using acoustic guitar with mics and he already thinks I'm a devout heathen in disguise so I decided not to push that one. All in all I couldn't be happier with this guitar. And ya know what?? The more I see the black finish the more I like it. AND!! This review would not be complete with out Kudos to Zzounds for making the buying experience a real pleasure. I can't say enough good things about how well they treated me and how easy they made everything. They are my first and only choice for any online purchases of musical equipment. So do your self a favor if you are looking for a semi solid 335 style guitar and check these guys out.

"Epiphone LTD ED ES 335 PRO Guitar" submitted April 12, 2017

By Ray C in Port Charlotte, FL
Overall
Musical Background: Playing guitar since 1966..recently started playing electric..Singer in Pro Blues Rock band
Music Style: Blues....Americana
Overall: First you beat the best price I could find....then the guitar arrived right on time in perfect condition. I have to say this is a really fine guitar and after a little action adjustment it plays like butter. The limited edition Ice Tea Burst is gorgeous and sets it apart from others. The fit and finish is amazing for a guitar at this price level and I see no reason to spend 2K when this baby gives me everything I want. Thank You

"Unbelievable" submitted August 14, 2016

By Christopher Chandler in Charlotte, NC
Musical Background: Professional
Music Style: Country/Rock
Overall: I didn't expect to like this instrument near as much as I do. Epiphone has become so much more on Getting it Right in the recent years, and this ES 335 Pro is another fine example of their uncanny ability to 'Wow' you past expectations, especially if you're somewhat like me and on the fence about ordering sight unseen. I'm Pleasantly Surprised and Completely Satisfied with this purchase

"Unbelievable" submitted August 12, 2016

Musical Background: Professional
Music Style: Country/Rock
Overall: Awestruck Definitely one of the best I've owned or played. 335 style tone and definition in the most affordable option. Nothing more to say.

"Why buy a Gibby?" submitted January 25, 2016

By Serge N in Philadelphia, PA
Overall
Overall: Sounds and plays excellent. Why would you buy a Gibby? And it's only 1/10 of the price. You can't go wrong.

"1/10 the price, great tones" submitted January 9, 2016

By Sergio F in Langhorne, PA
Overall
Musical Background: Been playing over 20 years.
Music Style: I play mostly rock and jazz.
Overall: One of the few guitars out there that I would say are definitely worth the purchase price. Anything the Gibby can do, this can do. The only thing that I had to adjust to is a skinny neck by the nut. I like them a little chunkier but that's personal preference.

When you call, mention priority code 1ZP-1QY3. Llame Gratis en Español: 800-460-7976