When you call, mention priority code 14P4-82HN

Rating and Reviews: Epiphone ES-339 Guitar

With a pair of Classic PRO humbuckers, and a smaller body size than a ES-335 or Casino, the Epiphone ES-339 PRO is a versatile, comfortable semi-hollowbody.

Overall

"Great guitar, tone king. Body fits like a glove. Natural finish is drop dead beautiful." submitted October 17, 2012

By Todd M in Rogers, AR
Overall
Musical Background: Been playing for thirty years. Started on classical guitar. I have released albums on a major label.
Music Style: Electronic/Alternative
Overall: This guitar should be in almost every guitarist's arsenal, it's versatility makes it indispensable, and probably will make other guitars in you collection redundant. The ES-339 PRO is light like a feather, but can deliver a heavy sound like John Lennon's Casino. Can't believe it took this long for someone to come up with the guitar. You see it in person and it's like a no brainer. It's modern and classic simultaneously. The natural finish is very pretty - pictures can't do it justice in person. I've seen the limited edition ebony too, and it's nice, but I like my natural better.

"Excellent product especially for the $$'s." submitted December 29, 2011

Overall
Musical Background: Many years.
Music Style: Blues, Rock
Sound: I'm generally a blues player and most Epi's have pickups too hot for my taste so I change to Duncans. Not on the ES 339! These Probuckers are excellent. They have excellent sound quality thru my Allen Esquire tube amp. The finish is flawless and a very good Burst job. The neck doesn't buzz owith no dead frets. The action was slightly high for my taste, but ajusted down easily. Only reason I don't give a 10 is it would have to be a vintage from the 60's with an action like glass to get that. Quality: Would not expect any better if it said Gibson on the headstock. Value: Excellent value for the bucks. Get one soon as I'm certain they will be going up once some get out there. Overall: Definately would replace. Would hope to get another just as good.
65 of 66 people (98.48%) found this review helpful. Did you?

"Very nice" submitted June 5, 2012

By Richard P in Cape Girardeau, MO
Overall
Musical Background: 38 years experience. I play in a local Classic Rock band.
Music Style: Classic 70's Rock and Christian Contemporary.
Overall: I purchased a blemished one for $299. I can't find the blemish. It has an excellent sound. Easy to play. I normally play a 1978 Gibson Les Paul Deluxe. I bought this as a backup guitar "I play in a band weekly". I realleeey like this guitar. What a deal. What a steal. The fretboard plays nice. The pickups have a nice sound. The only small negative was the first couple of days of playing it I got black on my fingers from the fretboard. It stopped doing that. I guess whatever was on the fretboard wore off after playing it a few days. Great value! Great guitar! I am very pleased with my purchase.

"Epiphobne es-339 Pro" submitted January 26, 2012

By Michael M in Afton, VA
Overall
Musical Background: Hobbyist, been playing 45 years; guitars, dobro and steel guitar.
Music Style: Blues, rock, country, bluegrass.
Overall: Beautiful cherry finish that lets the maple grain show through. Very well applied cream binding on body and neck; a tiny bit of finish bleed on the binding in the upperbout. No other blems. Grover tuners are nice, nut is well cut, rosewood board is flawless. Pickups are great and sound good when split. Plays great. The only improvements I made were a new set of strings, a setup and replaced the rather cheap plastic nut with a tusq. A great semi-hollow body guitar for the bucks!
26 of 28 people (92.86%) found this review helpful. Did you?

"Very Versatile guitar (may get another!)" submitted February 18, 2012

By Bill S in Boston, MA
Musical Background: Professional on guitar and piano
Music Style: Jazz, classic rock, pop, blues
Overall: This guitar blew me away. I was totally impressed by the sound and the feel. I wasn't expecting much from an Epiphone because I've had the Gibson Es-339, but sold it because I didn't want to keep $2000 held up in a guitar that I would be nervous about playing out. The finish is great and the pickup options make it a versatile axe to bring on any gig. Seriously, the neck is a typical slim-D neck which feel fine and all, but it's the electronics (pickups and pots) that make this guitar shine. First the Probuckers are a big improvement over other Epi pickups. They have real character that is on par with some replacement pickups (think SD or ToneRider). I usually play with some distortion (Blue Driver) and like to roll the volume knobs back to around 6-7 for a nice understated sound. The transparency is definitely there - you can both the clear note and the distortion coming through. This is good for rhythm and (as I said) understated soloing. If you then turn up, more of the compression and snarl comes out and you can solo over the top of the mix -- very nice an usable. Now considering the split-coil options, there's even more you can do. You do in fact get nice start-like single coil sounds that are slightly thinner but still very usable. I like the single coil neck pickup for jazz, the single coil neck for funk and both together for a tele-like sound.
22 of 24 people (91.67%) found this review helpful. Did you?

"Much better than expected" submitted February 14, 2013

By Mickey H in Philadelphia, PA
Overall
Musical Background: Guitarist 8 years. Professional.
Music Style: R&B, gospel, rock, jazz, blues
Overall: I've been looking for a new guitar good for gospel and I've been stalking zzounds for a month now. I finally went into a guitar shop today and I test drove several guitars. After playing the Sheraton II, a casino, a dot, the Lucille, and a les Paul, I decided to pick up the es-339 pro. This baby plays! The size and weight are perfect, compared to the Lucille, it's like a feather. The tonal quality was spot on in both pick ups with the tone turned from 10-0. The addition of the coil-tapping had a slightly different feel. I liked the tone with the neck in single coil bridge in humbucker and the switch in the middle position. I know I will be purchasing this guitar very soon...maybe this weekend if my lady lets me lol!

"Great Guitar....Great Price!" submitted March 28, 2013

By David S in Rockwall, TX
Musical Background: Retired Pro. Guitar.Bass,Keyboard,Drums
Music Style: Classic Rock, Blues,Soul
Overall: Epiphone Quality for 1/4 of the price of the Gibson 339!!! Finish is great,neck is very smooth and fast,pickups sound quality is very good, the smaller body style makes it a lighter guitar for the working player,but still has the difference of sound quality as the 335. Jazz,Blues,Rock,Pop..this guitar can do it! Great Band for Your Bucks!

"Great Value, beutiful guitar." submitted June 24, 2014

By Wade M in Winnsboro, LA
Musical Background: 10yrs acoustic only
Music Style: Country, Folk, Fingerpicking.
Overall: Guitar arrived from Zzounds today. I ordered the case also and it was shipped in the case. I have been playing it all afternoon. The different sounds you can get out of it is amazing. This is my first electric guitar and it makes me wish I had bought one years ago. I have the natural finish and the photos does not do it justice. I bought the Fender Champion amp to practice with and it sounds great. I will bring it to a professional for a better set up as the strings are higher than my acoustics. I would recommend this guitar to any acoustic player that wants to try electric. It is very light and comfortable with or without strap.

"Epiphone ES-339" submitted January 18, 2012

By Michael H in Tucson, AZ
Overall
Musical Background: Playing, repairing and building guitars for over 45 years.
Music Style: Anything but RAP or HIP HOP etc.
Overall: First, let me say what a shame it is that we must buy imports over USA made equipment. Gibson can't compete with the quality and value of Epiphone. With that said, here is what I think of my new Epi ES-339. Right out of the box I see a flawless finish on my natural ES-339. A slight color variation in the glued-up headstock is the only beef I have with the fit and finish of this instrument. The electronics are smooth and noise free. Gibson's ES-339's Nashville Tone circuit can't hold a candle to the Epis' coil tapping versatility! Remarkable sounds you can coax out of this guitar. From majestic humbucker growl and nastiness to the bell ringing tones of single coils. I even emulated the 'quack' of a certain axe made by a guy named Leo. Tap both humbuckers and put three way switch in the middle position, roll off a little tone and, presto. Now for the playability aspect. I have been playing,buying,selling,trading,repairing and building guitars longer than most of you out there have been alive, so I know what I'm talking about here. The action was med-high with 10-46 strings on it. Had way too much relief in my opinion-.011. I like to see no more than .004-.005. The frets were the biggest let down. Not level and so rough it felt as though I was sanding through the bottom of every string as I tried to bend a note. NOT GOOD, so..........After a good four or five hours on the bench and with fret leveling, dressing,crowning and polishing ,9-42 GHS rollerwound Nickel Rockers strings installed and super low action (2/64ths on the treble side and 4/64ths on the bottom side with .004 relief), I now have one sweet playing axe in my collection. This thing feels like glass when bending single strings or chording!! And seeing how I'm getting up there in the age department, the weight of this guitar is a real plus. Mine weighs in at a paltry 7lbs.1oz. Feels good on your shoulder even after a couple of hours gigging with it. So, if you are even fairly interested in this newest offering from Epiphone, order it from ZZounds today. You will not be disappointed Just remember you will more than likely have to spend a few bucks on a pro set-up which would be well worth the money. But if you MUST HAVE A 'GIBSON' go ahead and needlessly spend the other 1500.00!!
24 of 27 people (88.89%) found this review helpful. Did you?

"Pleasantly suprised" submitted January 12, 2014

By Ron V
Overall
Musical Background: playin 40 yrs Blues,Rock,Folk home studio, play parties, jam
Overall: I wasn't expecting to like this guitar as much as I do. But the fit & finish is excellent. The only thing bad I can say is the pot knobs wobble, but sure my gtr tech can fix that when I take it in for a setup. This gtr is very comfy to play. Not to big not to small. I also have an Epi Les Paul 60's tribute plus. As soon as I got this 339 I placed it in front of my LP to see how much bigger it was. It was only a 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch larger, not much at all. The neck is 3 piece set very well done. It's a 50's style baseball bat kinda feel, but I like it I think its comfy and easy to play. The pick ups are not as hot as the Gibson 57 classics in my LP but there enough for now. Another thing I like is it's a lot lighter than my LP. I'm playing it through a Bugera V22 tube amp w/Zoom-G5 pedal and a Ditto looper. Lots o tones, lots o fun. Good bang for the buck. I been playing 40 years Have had Lp's and Strat's costing thousands and usually had to pawn em or sell em when bad times hit. At my age I don't care about the prestige of an original anymore. I just care if it sounds close enough to what I need. and this does heck I've had it a month and still haven't changed the strings yet(I know I really need to) Buy one you'll like it. I bought the hardshell case also, it's very well made as well.

""Blemished" Epiphone ES-339" submitted April 22, 2014

By Steve B in Burleson, TX
Overall
Musical Background: I've been playing over 50 years, since I was 15. I play bass, acoustic guitar and electric guitar.
Music Style: Rock, POP, Blues
Overall: I was ecstatically surprised after rolling the dice on the purchase of a "blemished" Epiphone ES-339 from zZounds. There was a little sloppiness evident in the finish of the F-holes but the rest of the guitar is superb. It needed a setup pretty badly but the fun of setting it up was rewarded by impeccable playability and tonal character. It's become one of my very favorites, and it's so beautiful just to look at. I've become a fan of the Epiphone line. I own a number of their models and each has not disappointed and sometimes far exceed expectations, like this ES-339. I've had to work on each more than maybe a Gibson out of the box but the results are uniformly excellent. The remarkable value for the money is unquestionable for me.

"Great Value" submitted May 19, 2014

By a customer from live.com
Overall
Overall: Epiphone hit a homerun with this guitar. i own 1 other epiphone. An LP. And i was pleased with its construction and attention to detail. This ES 339 pro is my 10th guitar in my collection. I have always wanted a gibson 335, but not enough to part with the amount of money that is asked for it. So when i saw this guitar, I felt i had nothing to lose for the price. The guitar arrived, required minor intonation adjustments after a new set of strings and wow did it sound amazing. From smooth strumming with a very mild overdrive to hard cutting distortion, this guitar never lost its warm tone. The neck is surprisingly fast, the body feels great being much the same size as a les paul. The craftsmanship for this price point is unmatched by any other guitar that i own. the finish is beautiful and well done. I needed a guitar that could fit many styles for home recording, and whether its a clean strummed or plucked part, to solos requiring arpeggios and sweeps, this guitar delivered. Highly recommend this guitar.

"Very nice guitar" submitted December 18, 2012

By Mark M
Musical Background: 30 years, still in a covers band
Music Style: Rock, Hard rock
Overall: I am very impressed with the all around quality, looks and sound of this guitar. For a guitar at this price I really didn't expect it to look and sound as good as it does.Well worth buying!

"Great Guitar, Great Price" submitted June 14, 2013

By Rob D in Atlanta, GA
Musical Background: Professional Musician, Gigging and in Studio
Music Style: Jazz, Rock, Country, Blues, Heavy Metal, Fusion, Bluegrass
Overall: This guitar is very comfortable. I love the neck and the way it sits nicely on my leg. Bought it mainly for jazz playin, but it's great for blues and rock too. I'll probably end up changing the pickups, but it's not bad sounding at all.

"Wonderful guitar at a no brainer price" submitted September 28, 2012

By Neil s in Evergreen, CO
Overall
Musical Background: Been playing on and off for 35 years. I jam with friends and play at home. Have owned 3 Strats, a Les Paul Standard. Own an SG.
Music Style: Classic rock, Blues
Overall: For starters, I first became aware of this model after seeing Bob Weir playing one at the Furthur show at RedRocks last week. I commented to the friend I was with, "Hey look, Bobby is playing a 335 like yours". He replied, "Nope, it's much smaller. It's a GIbson ES-339". I began researching the guitar and then learned that Epiphone had just come out with one. I am so impressed with my Epiphone '61 ReIssue SG that I bought an ES-339 with no hesitation. I just could not justify paying 5 or 6 times more for the Gibson version. With zZounds 30 day trial period, I figured I had nothing to loose trying the Epiphone. First impressions. Just unboxed it, and after playing for the last hour or so I can tell you... OK I LOVE THIS FRIGGIN" GUITAR!!!!! The hollow body sustain is just wonderful. The pickups are....LUSH. Very little noise in any setting They have COIL TAPs in the electronics that shifts them to a single coil mode on either pickup. That adds a Strat -like bite to the sound. However, if I had wanted another Strat....I much prefer the Humbucker rumble. The frets need a little work, but the action is not too bad out of the box. Of course, it'll need a nice set up with new strings. The finish is PERFECT with a beautiful Sunburst. The tuners are precise and feel great. And the size is perfect too. It weighs only 6.8lbs, about the same as my SG. Very comfortable to hold. The neck is a chunky D shape. Doesn't feel low profile. My fretboard is not very dark. The wood has light streaks in it that sort of compliment the Vintage Sunburst finish. I'm totally psyched about this instrument!! At this price, I wouldn't mind having a second one in Cherry! zZounds shipped it out the day I ordered it and I got it only 2 days later!

"Cherry red awesomeness" submitted April 17, 2014

By Matt M in Chino Hills, CA
Musical Background: Playing guitar as a hobby for 30 years
Music Style: pop, rock, folk
Overall: Picked up the Epi ES-339 Dot as a "blemished" with huge discount. It looks fantastic with no noticeable defects - looked to be an open box return or demo. Strings will need replacing but overall everything is smooth and sounds great. Action seems a bit high but easy to play. Really happy with the purchase and Zzounds shipped fast.

"ES-339" submitted April 3, 2014

By michael spencer in princeton, WV
Musical Background: jam at home
Music Style: rock and blues
Overall: The ES-339 is every thing they say it is. I love it! Don't miss out on this one.Thanks ZZOUNDS. Great service as always.

"Epiphone ES-339 PRO Electric Guitar" submitted December 8, 2013

By George D in Neptune, NJ
Overall
Musical Background: About 10 years plying blues guitar.
Music Style: Blues, blues-rock, rock, jazz, funk, and reggae.
Overall: Excellent guitar for the price!!!

"Excellent semi hollow body guitar for the money!" submitted October 15, 2013

By Orlando W in Temple Hills, MD
Overall
Musical Background: Playing over forty years, guitar, bass, keyboards. Contemporary gospel, inspirational, jazz.
Music Style: Christian, jazz.
Overall: This is a great guitar period. I dont see how Epiphone can come up with such nice guitars for this amount of money. I have not played the Gibson yet but this is a very solid instrument and I do own several Gibson's. The natural finish is absolutely beautiful but I have noticed in my opinion the Cherry and the Sunburst ones sound a bit darker to me for some reason. I do plan to buy one in the near future.

"es 339 pro" submitted August 31, 2013

By John S in Palo Cedro, CA
Overall
Musical Background: I have played for 50+ years I'v had Les Pauls and 335 and this 339 pro compares to all. Great gutar.
Music Style: Pop, Jazz, Country, and rock this gutar does it all
Overall: One of the best deals ever.

"epi 339 good axe" submitted May 25, 2012

By steve b in dallas, GA
Overall
Musical Background: 45 years, fender strat, fender tele, washburn nuno 2, washburn acous, guild acoustic
Music Style: playing 45 years, folk, country, blues, rock, christian rock and roll
Sound: good pickups ....surprising for a epi, will eventually get some better pups . i use this on most music that the bands i am in play....i use a tele on country but i can get some good country sounds on this,,,,also blues can be done quite well on this axe. I would use a tube amp with a couple of good pedals, I suggest to gibson epi to give the pickups a warming up and maybe increase the quality a tad.... Feature: the push pull coil taps are a good feature as are the grover tuners. The neck is quite accessible and well made. Ease of Use: if you like to rock put the pickups on last switch and wail ....leave on the HH config rather than sc config. Quality: yes ,,,,very reliable .....seems built to last with the tuners and bridge ... Value: YES VERY MUCH SO Manufacturer Support: no The Wow Factor: GREAT LOOKS....LIKE THE ORIGINAL GIBSON Overall: Not bad. looks sometimes are deceiving. This is not the case with this guitar. Looks good and has some good pickups (not great but good). The coil taps work nicely, You can get really good jazz sounds and great Rock sounds both Gibson and Strat sounds from the coil taps. Thie neck is pretty fast ....mine came set up pretty good but I will take it to a tech soon. I have played some gigs with it and it does sound really good. The tuners hold pretty good they are grovers...and the fit and finish on this guitar was good. I played some in some stores that had them before I bought one and I can only say I tried 4 of them before i found one set up right with a balanced sound and good set up. If you order on expect to get it set up by a tech.I will keep this one for awhile. Sounds good on country songs to. You can get nice country licks accomplished on this axe. I would say it is a great value.

"Almost..." submitted January 23, 2012

By Jas B in Hatfield, MA
Musical Background: 20+years,guitar and bass
Music Style: pretty much everything except extreme metal
Overall: Before buying this guitar,i had heard lots of good things about the quality/attention to detail of the newer Chinese made Epiphones ... maybe (hopefully) it was just this first run,but i had the same experience as reviewer below-ROUGH and uneven frets !! It is a nicely made guitar in other aspects,though-good finish,good sounding pickups,nice acoustic/unplugged tone,hardware is OK(though i put a Gotoh bridge on there already,much better)...it was just a bit shocking how poorly finished the frets were,my friend's considerably less expensive Dot Studio put it to shame in that dept. - I would say by all means give one a go,let's just hope they spend more time on 'the little things' on future 339's .
12 of 14 people (85.71%) found this review helpful. Did you?

"339 dont buy" submitted February 12, 2014

By lonnie nail in gadsden, AL
Overall
Musical Background: accordian banjo, gutiar been playing music since i was 18 now i'm 63
Music Style: country
Overall: the gutiar strings are to high off the frets cant lower them if you do then they buzz

When you call, mention priority code 14P4-82HN. Llame Gratis en Español: 800-460-7976