When you call, mention priority code 176Y-MR3P

Rating and Reviews: Epiphone 1962 Sorrento

Strap on this authentic replica of the '62 Sorrento, and hear why hollowbody guitars sound even better with Gibson USA mini humbuckers.

"Not perfect but very very good" submitted August 11, 2014

By Eric Nicolas in Hopland, CA
Overall
Musical Background: Been playing all my life - guitar and keyboards enough to write and get along. I'm not a pro.
Music Style: Mid-Western Reggae
Sound: Sound is where this box shines. The maple body and mini-humbuckers are a great match. The sound varies from deep and rich rhythm to sharp-edged lead. And you can get than cool jazz "raindrop" sound that only a hollow body provides.It also provides all the feedback only a full hollow body can provide - this is no joke. If you face your amp or speakers it is going to howl at even moderate volume. Feature: This is a reproduction of the '62 Sorrento, right down to the metal Epiphone logo plate on the headstock, and the headstock is a separate piece of wood just like the original. There are no modern toys like coil-splitting. The bridge is of the old "floating" type - it's held against the top of the body by string tension alone. If you aren't used to this you should Google it to learn how to do things like change strings and set intonation: you actually physically move the bridge on the top of the guitar.It has the usual two volume/two tone knob set up, but the knobs themselves and the pots under them are not of the best quality. This is something you might want to upgrade.The rosewood fingerboard and old-school white oval tuners are period correct, as is the angled scratch plate. Ease of Use: It works like a guitar - what else is there to say? The fingering is a bit more stiff than a solid body like a Les Paul of a Strat, but that's to be expected of a hollow body with this type of bridge and trapeze tail. You might get a little smoother by filing the nut, or just replacing it (it's plastic).It comes with a case that is light gray and has an older-style Epiphone logo on it, but it isn't period correct. But it's a nice case that would cost $100 retail. Quality: Overall the quality is very good. There was a loose pot under the treble volume knob that took some gentle tightening. The fret ends are a tad rougher than the finish on my Epi LP.THE PLASTIC "GOLD HAT" KNOBS ARE ATROCIOUS AND SHOULD BE REPLACED!Time will tell about the construction of the two-piece headstock and the laminated maple body. It's all in the glue they used. Value: I'd say this is a great value for $600. Manufacturer Support: Never had any reason to contact them. The Wow Factor: It's damn pretty! I got the natural finish rather than the slightly more expensive "olive sunburst". The binding around the top looks like real binding and not just paint. The finish is smooth but not the kind of deep gloss a Gibson would have. Fit an finish are overall very good - just a few little things like those fret ends and that loose pot.This is a $600 guitar, but a very good one. If the craftsmanship is really an issue then it's worth spending the extra thousand bucks on the Real Deal - except there is no real deal in this case since the Sorrento hasn't been made since the late 1960s and only about 3,000 were ever sold. Overall: For a while now Gibson's overseas division Epiphone have been making quality guitars at a very reasonable price. Part of the price is they don't have to deal with U.S. regulations on things like imported wood. Part of it is they are exploiting low-cost labor in countries like Indonesia and China. And a part of the low price is the sometimes less-than top quality components.However, Epiphone have for several years been releasing foreign-made guitars with real Gibson USA pickups. My first Epiphone was the first-year Nighthawk reissue (with the ebony fingerboard) made in Indonesia, and I was very impressed with the quality of the workmanship. My second was the Les Paul Tribute with Gibson pickups, switches, and pots. Again the quality was excellent, although there was an issue with the mounting of one pickup that I fixed in a few minutes. Other than that, and a bit of staining on the fingers from the "rosewood" fingerboard, it's tough to tell the difference from a real LP, especially given this model has no body chambers and no belly scarf.So when I saw the '62 Sorrento for $600 w/case I pulled the trigger. I'm not disappointed. The Indonesian build is very good, and the Gibson mini-humbuckers are excellent.

"Got mine!!" submitted December 23, 2013

By john t in Sonora, CA
Overall
Musical Background: Piano and guitar for 35 years. I play at home occasionally with a couple friendsd.
Music Style: rock, country and classical fingerstyle
Overall: I wasn't planning on purchasing an electric guitar any time soon. Then I saw this one by chance and had to investigate. It was the appearance that got my attention but when I saw zZounds had a blemished model for $529. I couldn't help myself. I just love translucent vintage yellow over maple plus that amazing 1962 Sorrento body style. I also realized only 1962 guitars in this model will be produced. I actually wanted a Gibson ES 175 ever since I borrowed a friend's for a couple days 10 years ago. But who am I kidding? I will never have $4000. to get one. I also checked out the Ibanez Artcore single cutaway hollow bodies but nothing really jumped out at me. There are not many guitars of this style out there actually. Especially for under a grand! So if you've ever wanted a Florentine style guitar you should grab one of these now. There were 2 blemished models when I bought mine and the other one sold the next day too. Other sites I checked were also selling out. By the way, I have yet to find the supposed blemish on this beautiful guitar. I believe it may have been purchased and restocked but I see no scratch, ding or defect whatever. This guitar is awesome. I took it over to a friends last night and he was equally stunned by it's beauty. But looks matter little when you plug an electric guitar. How nice could a $529. hollow body guitar play and sound though. When I first tuned it unplugged it was acoustically loud and alive in my hands. I immediately found some new Chuck Berry style licks that my hands just went to. I was pickin' and grinnin' immediately. There was a slight buzz, but I was able to adjust it out with the floating bridge in a minutes time. The action was a little low at first but the neck and fretwork were very comfortable with nothing weird,uncomfortable or cheap feeling. The Wilkinson tuners are also precise, solid and smooth. No clicks or pops or slop like cheap tuners. You can feel the quality in the tuners and floating bridge which is so nice. Plugged in was a problem though. I can't seem to put it back in it's case! I don't want to stop playing it. It is so much fun and feels so good I'm in heaven. Lightweight, resonant. Has the best electric clean sound ever but of course that's what you want it to sound like before you crank it up!! Final word; I don't think you could find more guitar for the price. I don't think you would be any happier spending 5 times as much. There is nothing cheap about the way it feels, looks or sounds. I love it. GET ONE.
12 of 13 people (92.31%) found this review helpful. Did you?

"Best value I've seen for a thinline full hollow" submitted November 16, 2014

By Stephen B in Port Neches, TX
Overall
Musical Background: I've been playing for 26 years. Semi professionally for 20 years.
Music Style: Rock and roll, blues, country-ish rock
Overall: I own a bevy of guitars, ranging from vintage Gibsons and Fenders to Danelectros and Harmonies and everything in between. I am amazed that Epiphone can put out a guitar this nice for this price. This is one of the only guitars I've ever bought new that required virtually no work other than normal setup. The fretwork is outstanding, the rosewood bridge fits very well against the body and the mini humbuckers sound great. Sounds great clean or overdriven. The bridge pickup has a quasi-Telecaster spank that surprised me - I love it! The neck pickup is very fat and round. I did replace the rattle-trap wire retainer bridge with a Gotoh (I always do). One of the reflector knobs was stripped and would just spin on the pot. They seemed a bit flimsy upon further inspection, so I replaced all four with knobs from Allparts. I went with the Olive Burst and there are a couple of very minor flaws in the finish, at the neck joint, that my friends didn't notice until I pointed them out. Certainly nothing worse than a lot of modern Gibsons. The finish is poly, but is well done and is reasonably thin. The binding is nicely done. The case is not great - in keeping with all Epiphone cases, but is acceptable enough. I do like the grey / blue color scheme. It seems Gibson may never re-issue the ES-125TDC (I don't believe they ever have), so this seems a very nice substitute as a modern re-issue. I absolutely love this guitar and I gig with it. The biggest bang for the buck I've seen in a long time.

"Outstanding piece wood!!!" submitted September 21, 2014

Music Style: Stone cold blues
Overall: I received this guitar a couple of weeks ago and it is awesome. I feel lucky that these are still available from 2012. I had to have a set up done, but it was well,worth the extra money. The fit and finish is quite elegant. The sound has that great hollow body tone. The price was matched by the guys at zzound making this an outstanding deal.if you are in the market for hollow body, just buy it.....

"A great guitar at a reasonable price." submitted May 5, 2014

By Roy H in Dallas, TX
Overall
Overall: It's difficult to add what has already been praised by other reviews. Know that I am a player of over 40 years and can honestly say this is a great playing and sounding guitar right out of the box. The factory setup was excellent, and the fret work is superb. The only thing I did was change the factory strings, and slightly lower the bridge/action to my personal taste. I have yet to find a single flaw in the construction or finish. BTW, it was made in Indonesia, not China.

"Amazing" submitted December 2, 2014

By Philip H in Los Angeles, CA
Musical Background: Guitar and Bass, amateur
Music Style: Blues, Rock
Overall: This guitar has really surprised me for playability. Nice fretwork, nice crowning for easy chording and smooth slides. Low action with no buzz, no dead notes. Acoustic tone isn't bad; I even use it for acoustic practice. The Gibson mini-hums are sweet -- especially the neck. Holds tune, decent response from pots, and it's beautiful. I'm really pleased with this Epi.

"Awesome Guitar" submitted May 13, 2013

By tim m in lhc, AZ
Musical Background: playing for 45 years
Music Style: rock, jazz, blues, folk, country, alternative, etc.
Overall: This guitar looks like an old vintage guitar and sounds even better with the Gibson electronics. Mini humbuckers sound great and the case is a very cool grey color with a nice Epiphone blue interior. This guitar is an awesome buy.
16 of 22 people (72.73%) found this review helpful. Did you?

When you call, mention priority code 176Y-MR3P. Llame Gratis en Español: 800-460-7976