When you call, mention priority code 144H-5HGL

Rating and Reviews: Epiphone Les Paul Ultra 3

With all the swagger of a classic LP, plus modern features like a Shadow NanoMag pickup and USB output, the Epiphone Les Paul Ultra III gives you an edge.

Overall

"Tried all the LP's from Epi & Gibson - LOVE this one!" submitted August 13, 2012

By David C in Georgetown, TX
Musical Background: Playing 40 yrs, Jam with friends, Intermediate
Music Style: Rock, Blues, Classical, Pop
Overall: I spent 2 days in another store trying out all the Les Paul's from Epiphone and Gibson. This one felt as good as the $2600 Gibson with the great feeling neck binding and 60's neck profile and has the beautiful sounding Shadow Nanomag (tm). It did have just a touch of fret buzz (work around by picking CLOSE to the bridge or low on the neck) which reviews all over the web mention. My second and 3rd choices were Gibson LP Studio Faded and the Epi Les Paul Standard Plus Top Pro. Yeah...kind of a wide price range, but all under $1000. Long story short... I chose the Blemished Ultra 3 in Vintage Sunburst from zZounds. Although I didn't get the payment plan, it was a huge savings! When it came in I looked all over for the blemishes. After nearly an hour of looking WITH A MAGNIFYING GLASS, I found a tiny nick in the paint on the rear near the neck. I could barely even feel it with my fingers! So then I tried it out. A tiny bit out of tune... no surprise. Good intonation. A tiny bit of fret buzz. All electrics worked as specified. Then WOW....This thing has some great sustain in all the pickup positions. I compared it to my Gibson SG. Eleven seconds longer sustain on the D string 9th fret... ELEVEN SECONDS! So I played for an hour or so then took it to my local shop to be set up. Half and hour later, no more fret buzz, great action, and a true pleasure to play...and only 50 bucks. I am now REALLY loving this guitar. I find time whenever I can to play/practice on it. I would recommend both this guitar and zZounds.
46 of 47 people (97.87%) found this review helpful. Did you?

"Great guitar!!! " submitted October 20, 2012

By Dustin B in Murfreesboro , TN
Overall
Musical Background: I've been playing for bout 10 yrs. I play worship music at church, jam with friends and jam at home
Music Style: Christian, Blues, Jazz, Alternative Rock, Indie Rock, 60s,70s,80s Rock/pop
Overall: I have 7 guitars and out the 7 this is my 2nd favorite one ( the Taylor Acoustic being number 1 ). I was originally going to buy me a Gibson Les Paul but then stumbled across this and instantly fell in love with it. Watch both tutorial videos they have on here on the guitar. The addition of the 3rd pickup, The Nanomag, is pretty stinking sweet along with USB compatibility. I have never seen a guitar that can do what this one does, and I've been to tons of guitars stores both in person and online stores. Of course like most all Les Pauls this has great tone and the neck feels great. The Midnight Ebony finish looks great, I usually go for the sunburst look on a les paul but this finish was worth getting. This is my 3rd time buying from zZounds.com and it has been great each time. I highly recommend this site. So far I bought my Marshall Tube Amp head, Fender Srat and now the Les Paul. The payment plans they have works great. I really like that they added an 8 payments plan cause now I'm able to own this Les Paul.

"Epiphone Les Paul Ultra III" submitted August 30, 2012

By J.J. Schmidt in Des Moines, IA
Overall
Musical Background: I have been playing for over 30 years, I play guitar, percussion and keyboards, I am a Studio Musician.
Music Style: Mainly a Jazz, Blues and Christian Rock player.
Overall: I was hesitant to buy a guitar manufactured in China, I currently own about 40 other guitars including Gibson Les Pauls, Yamaha, Washburn, Hamer and several custom built guitars, and have been playing for over 30 years. To my surprise I was pleasantly pleased when this guitar arrived and I had a chance to give it a thorough going over. I had researched this guitar heavily before deciding to buy it, and despite it's lackluster review on Harmony Central I was PLEASED! The Ultra III not only looked beautiful it felt better in my hands than my favorite Gibson L.P. The finish was flawless, and the set up was very near perfect. (I am a Luthier also). After a few minor adjustments it was ready to play. The sound was very nice. For what I play (mainly Progressive Jazz) I found that blending the Nano Mag PU and the Humbuckers worked the best. I love the neck on this thing, perfectly comfortable! It is a well thought out, thoughtfully engineered, and masterfully crafted in China instrument well worth it's weight in compliments! It has taken the place of my favorite Gibson, something I thought I would never say. Our USA team should be incorporating this technology into the American Les Pauls. Epiphone, you really have done yourselves proud with this instrument! I can with 100% honesty say I am completely proud to own the new Ultra III! Thank you also to zZounds for making it easy to own one of these beautiful guitars!!!!
38 of 39 people (97.44%) found this review helpful. Did you?

"Les Paul Ultra III is phenomenal! " submitted January 7, 2014

By Jake M in Glen Rock, PA
Overall
Musical Background: 9 years of guitar, 11 years of piano, live alternative rock band
Music Style: rock, alternative, post-grunge, country, classic rock, punk, metal
Overall: The obvious top feature is the NanoMag, which is absolutely fantastic. The sounds range from a bright, glistening tone to a warm, mellow tone when being used alone. The Probuckers sound great and really give you a feel for that Gibson Burstbucker sound. When plugged in clean, this guitar gives off a very smooth sound and I've used it many times over an actual acoustic. The tuner is a very nice touch and I found it surprisingly accurate; I was skeptical about it before purchasing because of some negative reviews that I found to be untrue for myself. In addition to the sound and features on the guitar, the finish itself was absolutely beautiful. I love that the sunburst extends all the way to the fretboard instead of fading to black like many vintage sunburst finishes. The only issues I had were that Guitar Rig had problems installing onto my computer, and the NanaMag switch wasn't working. But, I bought the guitar for the guitar, not for Guitar Rig, so it wasn't a big deal, and the defect issue was resolved VERY quickly. I called zZounds about my issue with the NanoMag and they told me it was a manufacturer defect and offered to replace it. They said they would contact me the next business day with the return label and would ship it as soon as the tracking information was entered. I went through the return process with no more than a reasonable wait for my new guitar (shipping delay because of bad weather). Everything I've done on zZounds has gone silky smooth. They are very helpful, understanding, and don't try to talk you out of a return! It amazes me that this entire package of musical potential is being sold for $750, I would have easily bought this for $900, and all off my bandmates and fellow musicians love to admire my Epiphone Les Paul Ultra III. I would DEFINITELY recommend this product AND zZounds to anyone who needed great equipment for outstanding financial programs.

"Wow! Exceeds my expectations at every turn." submitted February 23, 2014

By Armando Pellerano in Indianapolis, IN
Overall
Overall: Arrived well boxed and in the case I ordered with it. Thanks Zzounds! The guitar is flawless in craftsmanship and finish. Intonation was spot on straight out of the box which is a first for me. The tones you can get from the pups are amazing. Mixing in that nonmag signal to the probucker sound really gives the guitar a whole new dimension. The probuckers on this chambered body have a different quality than the same pups on a solid body. It sounds great, just different. Maybe more full bodied with chimey bell like quality. The D slim taper neck is different than the 60s taper on my 60 Tribute Plus. It is definitely thinner with a much flatter backside. I have stubby fingers and its the first guitar neck that feels like it fits my hand like a glove. The belly scarf is great for playing seated. Lightweight too. Mine came in at 7 pounds 1 ounce. I didn't think I was going to like the tuner when I ordered it but it is really a great feature. The whole display is a bit bright for my liking, so I'm going to have to find a way to tame the LEDs down. This was an outstanding addition to my guitar collection. Buy one. You will not regret it.

"AWESOME" submitted August 31, 2012

By Charlie Kasuba in Summerfield, FL
Overall
Musical Background: Started playing acoustic guitar a year and a half ago started electric 6 months ago
Music Style: Rock, Classic Rock, Alternative, Metal, Jazz and Blues
Overall: this guitar when I first saw it what attracted me the most was how versatile it can be. The option to be able to switch from Clean to treble and a mixture of both is insane, I would recommend two amps for this guitar though as if you wanna use the multi-function button on it, it gives it a cleaner tone. All in all very satisfied in fact just ordered another guitar from this site! ROCK ON!!!

"Ultra III" submitted August 13, 2013

By Joe Garcia in goodyear, AZ
Overall
Musical Background: 15 years. I have played in the church worship group.
Music Style: Rock jazz and classical, in that order
Overall: I bought this on a whim. I wanted it because of the pallet of sound options it offered. I also bought it because I saw it on sale and ZZOUNDS beat the price which was already a really good deal. I got the midnight sapphire. This guitar is amazing in every way. It feels good in your hands and has good weight balance. I little lighter than your typical LP but not to the point that you lose sustain and other tonal qualities that come with a fat block of mahogany. Magnificently beautiful to look at and a pure joy to play. OK, a little bad stuff. The neck buzzes, you guys know this already. I had a guy set it up and he tried and tried but the only way to eliminate the buzz was to raise the action to slightly above normal. One more thing, the fret markers on the side of the neck are ever so slightly misaligned. this ought not be on a 749.00 guitar. That's it, If it got stolen, I would buy another one.

"My Epiphone Les Paul Ultra III" submitted October 13, 2013

By Charles B in Fort Worth, TX
Overall
Musical Background: I have been playing musical instruments since elementary school, but I am new to the guitar and I am loving it!
Music Style: I love Classic Rock, Metal and some Grunge (very little, lol).
Overall: WOW! pretty much sums it up, zZounds is great! I think they must have broken some speed laws to get my new Ultra III to me, super fast shipping! Then on top of the fast shipping I get to pay for my new guitar over time, I appreciate that and my wife LOVES it! The guitar itself, well what else can I say that the brand name doesn't, dude it's an Epiphone!! Plus this guitar is so versatile, I am really like the capability to plug into my computer via USB (on the guitar) so I may play through Guitar Rig 5 and Amplitube software. I love the many different tone you can achieve out of this guitar and the built in tuner is a nice touch that compliments the guitar. Although I haven't had to use the tuner that much since checking the tuning when I unboxed the guitar when I received it, so far the guitar hasn't gone out of tune since then...AWESOME!! Look'n for a guitar? Do your self a favor grab yourself an Ultra III by Epiphone, you will love it!

"epi les paul ultra 3" submitted November 7, 2012

By akeem j in greenville, MS
Overall
Musical Background: been playing for 6 months. i only play guitar.
Music Style: blues
Overall: i love this guitar and i love you guys for making it affordable for me. zZounds is the greatest site for musical equipment. im planning on ordering a new amp and im gonna order from you guys!!! thanks so much!

"blue Epi Les Paul Ultra 3" submitted September 11, 2012

By Rodney J in Ephrata, PA
Overall
Musical Background: I've been playing guitar for over 30 years. I play out acoustically.
Music Style: Classic rock
Overall: Great guitar for the money. Looks great and sounds great. Love the built-in tuner and nanomag pickup feature.

"very nice" submitted December 8, 2013

By Jimmy May in Macon, GA
Musical Background: weekend gigs
Music Style: blues, jazz, and southern rock
Overall: the ultra 3 is a great sounding instrument. I was skeptical about the sound being the "Les Paul" sound with a weight reduced body. it has not been compromised at all. of course we paid a couple hundred extra bucks for the extras so I guess that's what the review should be about. I have seen the reviews about the fret buzz and I can say that my ultra 3 doesn't have that problem so I can't help with that complaint. the acoustic pickup sounds good on its on. although I prefer to use it combined with the regular pickups for clarity in an overdriven signal. it's a nice setup all the way around for me. I'm a satisfied customer. btw, zzounds is the place the buy gear. and there's a guitar center in my town. they dont have the payment plan sooooo they don't get the business.

"Les Paul" submitted October 15, 2012

By Darrell S in Fort Meade, FL
Musical Background: Since 70
Music Style: Christian
Overall: Awesome service turn around and help in buying my Les Paul

"Epiphone Les Paul Ultra III" submitted August 30, 2012

By Curtis G in Easton, MO
Overall
Musical Background: 25 years, guitar, all high school band instruments.
Music Style: classic rock, rock, hard rock
Overall: Had the guitar about 3 weeks now and love it!

"Epiphone Les Paul Ultra III" submitted September 12, 2012

By Jeff T in Hilliard, OH
Overall
Musical Background: Gtr for over 20 yrs, some bass, drums, keys. In a band called OnePrettyMintute and have played in about 10 through the years
Music Style: Rock, Indie, Hard Rock, gothic rock, acoustic/folk
Overall: Great guitar. Haven't used it much yet but will take it into next practice to see how the humbuckers sound. If they sound good, I won't switch them out, but if they sound okay, I'll switch them out for 490/498 set or something else. As far as the Nanomag sounds, it's okay through an amp and a little better through a board, but I haven't tried it with an acoustic amp yet. I'd bet it would sound good. I'll have to save up and get an acoustic amp later. Haven't tried it with an acoustic simulator pedal either. Might sound good. As far as the USB; I LOVE IT! Very cool feature. Takes a few minutes to set up on the computer though, but not tough. I used to have the Ultra II, which I sold once I saw that Ultra III was coming out. I love the push pot to switch between Nano, humbucker and both. Hated how you had to turn the knob on the Ultra II. I also love the tuner function. They really thought this through on this one. Build-wise, I like it a lot as well. I think Epiphone makes a good product. I have an Epi Les Paul custom that I love and has held up for years and sounds great! Course, I switched the stock p/u. This is a versatile guitar and I'll be getting an A/B/Y switch soon as well as an acoustic pedal

"Ultra goodness, shy of greatness" submitted February 11, 2013

By Don F in Silver Spring, MD
Overall
Musical Background: I've been playing music for 46 years,as a hobbyist, avocationally and professionally.
Music Style: rock, pop,R&B, jazz-rock, a little Latin and folk piano
Overall: This is a very well made, beautiful guitar with two innovative twists, one of which works somewhat, the other one failing to deliver at the same quality level as the guitar overall (4 1/2 stars). This is an electric-acoustic guitar which allows one to overlay and adjust the volumes of the standard, electric humbucking sound that copies a Gibson Les Paul quite faithfully. The acoustic- simulating sound doesn't sound at all convincing. With time, I might have found a use for this sound (and its dedicated second output, for the "stereo" output, which is actually dual mono, one channel-center panned- for the electric, and one for the "acoustic" sound. Stereo does not exist for either sound,t aken individually or together. I would rate the "acoustic" sound at one star quality at most, while the electric sound is at least 4 1/2 stars, possibly into 5-star territory! It's almost as good overall as a Gibson Les Paul in a comparable price range (under $1k). For my own enjoyment, I'd either go with an ep8iphone from the LP100 lineup (I happily owned one) to a $500 model that plays and sounds fine. I'd consider buying a Gibson, not for superior quality or sound, but for resale value, as Gibsons retain much more resale value compared to Epiphones. The best thing about this guitar is its playability, as the neck was SWEET< an ease to play. The sound in electric mode didn't disappoint at all, which is more than I can say for many a Gibson Les Paul. My least favorite thing about this model and particular guitar was the "acoustic" sound. It valiantly bombed.

"Epiphone Les Paul Ultra III Guitar" submitted September 9, 2012

By Ray H in Philadelphia, PA
Music Style: Blues, Rock
Overall: The guitar is more than I expected, the service was amazing. I received both guitar and amp two days after ordering. I can't say enough about the guitar, a pleasure to play, great action.

"Great Guitar and Exceptional Service" submitted October 21, 2012

By Edward M in Lodi, CA
Overall
Musical Background: Intermediate beginner player. Have multiple guitars including an American Strat from zZounds.
Music Style: Pop some rock and some blues.
Overall: I originally purchased another guitar that had a quality problem. zZounds immediately issued a RA# and cost-free shipping label immediately without argument. They shipped the replacement as soon as the shipper logged the shipment. I "chicken-out" when the replacement arrived (probably was an OK instrument) and zZounds again issued another RA# and cost-free shipper without argument- exceptional service! I then upgraded to a Gibson Les Paul Custom Classic Limited Edition Electric Guitar with Case, a beautiful and excellent instrument. I love it. Cannot recommend zZounds enough.

"On The fence about this one, " submitted March 9, 2013

By Freddy S in Lincolnton , NC
Overall
Musical Background: I have played for years in and out of bands, mostly as a keyboardist or piano player.
Music Style: Old school rock, blues, some jazz, and motown.
Overall: Okay, I'm going to be as fare as I can on this guitar, first of all I have been a fender strat lover and I will always be. I got my Epi about the 3 days ago and it came package good by way of FedEx. When I opened it up and got her out she was a beautiful guitar, I got the vintage burst which to me is the best looking one. As I looked it over I first found two pits on the front of it right between the controls of the volume and tone. On the back of her there was two more pits were the nick meets the body, and down the middle you can see lines that looks like were the body was put together. Now I got this guitar to play so I can live with this, but I had bad fret buss, so I have been working on setting her up to stop the buss. It's A lot better than it was but I had to raise the strings to get it out, and I also backed off on the truss rod to get just a little bit of a contour in the nick. It's not always good to have the neck as straight as an arrow, sometimes you want a very small amount of downward contour. know for the guitar it self I love it, I have never had a LP before like I said I have always played fenders but I do love this LP she's all together different guitar. And by the way I'm comparing this to a MIM fender black top, I just wish quality control would have done a better job on the Epi before it was package and shipped. The neck of this LP takes some getting used to but it dose feel good very good when you get the feel of it. Then there is the sound, it is incredible very strong and very sweet when needed to be. Love the coil tapping it's great and seem to come natural to me considering I've never used 1 before. All the good about this guitar outweighs all of the flaws on the finish of the guitar I received, and working on the setup has took care of the bussing for the most part. It's A lot of guitar for the money you pay and I do love this LP, she is a great instrument with a lot of endless ability.

"Best Les Paul I have ever Played including Gibson" submitted May 6, 2012

By Dannis R in Travelers Rest, SC
Overall
Musical Background: Been playing since I was 7 years old. I play Guitar, Bass, Woodwinds, keyboard.
Music Style: Rock, Blues, Country
Overall: With all the performance of a Gibson Les Paul without the price. I love the extra acoustic pickup with the combination of the built in Tuner. My guitar had a perfect finish which really looks good. It was already perfectly setup. With the additional electronics it has a range over a standard Les Paul. The ability to split the acoustic pickup output to a second amp is a real plus for me. I would highly recommend this guitar. I also like but from Zzounds. They are great people to work with.

"Best Les Paul I have ever Played including Gibson" submitted April 13, 2012

By Dannis R in Travelers Rest, SC
Musical Background: Part Time Pro
Music Style: Rock, Metal, Blues, Country and Southern Rock
Overall: I recently bought this guitar because I was Interested in the acoustic sound. After playing it for the last two weeks I can say that it is one of my best. The combination of the pro-buckers with the nano-mag, make for some real nice sounds. I have used it almost all the time at my gigs and everyone ask me what I did do to get that sound. Being an electrical engineer I get accused of developing some new kind of pedal sound. I just say I wish it was me, but it just the stock Ultra III. Best guitar I ever bought for the money. I own more expensive ones, but this on is the best value.
42 of 44 people (95.45%) found this review helpful. Did you?

When you call, mention priority code 144H-5HGL. Llame Gratis en Español: 800-460-7976