When you call, mention priority code 1ZT-45KB

Rating and Reviews: Epiphone 1958 Korina Flying V

Crafted from a korina wood body just like the original Flying Vs, this Epiphone delivers classic looks and tone with gold hardware and alnico humbuckers.

"One of the New ones" submitted November 28, 2016

By jason t in chesapeake, VA
Musical Background: guitar, banjo, uke, drums, sax....30 years
Music Style: Used to play metal... last 15 years more rock and blues.... fun happy stuff.
Overall: Most of the reviews on here were for the last release of this guitar and were several years old.... I received my 2016 edition today and here are some thoughts..... It's gorgeous!!!! I've always liked Epiphone archtops and hollow bodies, and this guitar is right there with the fit and finish.... everything is perfect, frets are properly dressed, no sharp edges... absolutely beautiful. Playable right out of the box, though I did lower the strings a bit. It was intune and perfect intonated right out of the box. Of course I'll put real strings on it soon, but the out of the box performance was impressive. The sound was ok.... the pickups were snappier than I thought.... but with those cleartone strings what could one expect? Playability was perfect... low action, zero buzz... I love the fat neck. This guitar is a kick in the pants to play. It needs straplocks. The leg-rest rubber piece is a welcome addition. I love this thing and would buy another.

"One of my favorites" submitted December 25, 2015

By Bob G in Pensacola , FL
Overall
Musical Background: Been singing and playing Guitar off and on for 25 yrs, play lead in our Church praise band. 80's rocker doing the praise thing.
Music Style: Rock, 80's hair bands, Christian rock, Blues, jazz
Overall: I have a 58 Korina Epiphone V along with a les Paul studio, several Strats and tele's, to me the V has the warmest, smoothet sound of all my guitars, it feels so natural and easy to play, I love playing it, A friend of mine builds and restores guitars, the V came to him really beat up and in real bad shape, he spent several yrs working on it as a project, he did such a awesome job. He gave it a new life,

"Great with a few modifications." submitted March 13, 2012

By Steve T in Tokyo, NA
Overall
Musical Background: Playing 46 years. I have 7 electric guitars including a Gibson Korina Explorer, and a Gibson Firebird '76.
Music Style: Blues, Classic Rock through to U2.
Overall: I couldn't agree more with some of the other reviews that describe the Epiphone pickups as muddy. They lack any character whatsoever, so in order to stay within a reasonable budget, I replaced the stock pickups with Golden Age "Parsons St" H/B from Stew-Macs. Even before looking at new pots etc, I could hear a distinct difference immediately. Real Gibson '57 Classic clarity. My only other gripe is with the Grover tuners which are excessively heavy, and cause the head to drop to a position somewhere between the waist & the knees! I can't find a satisfactory replacement, but have been advised that the Steinberger gearless tuners (fitted to Gibson Firebirds and apparently some Flying Vs) do a great job of restoring the balance (Also sold by Stew-Macs). That said, the neck & body are first-rate, with a decent fret job and acceptable plastic nut. The hardware is of good quality (for the price). Mine sounds very Bluesy now, but it could certainly be cranked up for any hard rock tones if required. The "Korina" finish is nothing like the original Gibson color, but more of an orange tint, still, it looks really classy with all the gold hardware, and it sure makes for a great conversation piece. I like it, but I don't think I'd bother replacing it if it were lost or stolen. Epiphone's own Explorer runs rings around it for balance, and to my mind, appearance. Good value for money though.
10 of 11 people (90.91%) found this review helpful. Did you?

"Great bang for the buck" submitted May 26, 2009

By a customer from stephens.k12.ga.us
Overall
Musical Background: Active Musican, Recording Engineer, Record producer, Music Director
Music Style: Rock, country,Gospel,blues
Sound: The Only reason I give the sound an 8, is because when you roll the volume back to get a cleaner tone, it gets really muddy, almost like you were turning the tone knob down to 0. It also has some hum when both volumes are turn all the way down. When the pickups are turned up to 10, it has the kind of tone you would expect out of a v. Sustain for days Feature: Came with a cheap cable. the features are pretty basic. It is a copy of a guitar built in 1958. Ease of Use: This guitar plays great! NO it does not play as well as the Gibson model, But the Gibson model is selling for 12000+ these days! Quality: This guitar is very well made. I can always depend on it. I gig out with it at least once a week with many of those being "outdoor" gigs, which play hell on guitar. Value: this guitar sells at a very modest price. Look at the Gibson version then look at the epiphone version. you would probably save close to $11,500. No Joke Manufacturer Support: Never called them The Wow Factor: I have lusted after a guitar like this for 20 yrs. I just need Epiphone to make one I could afford Overall: I love this guitar. I would replace it if it were ever stolen

"Classic V Rocker, Well Worth the Pittance" submitted February 9, 2006

Musical Background: Active "Hobbist" Musician
Music Style: Classic Rock, Blues
Sound: Great sustain, very easy to play. Could use a little more fret work but not bad. I changed the pick-ups out, put in Rio Grande Buckers and got rid of the squeal. Great tone in the neck postiton and very usable tone control. Feature: Pretty standard features, tone, volume and three way switch. Gold hardware and klusion copy tuners. Some complain about the tuners but I never experienced a problem. Stayed in tune without issue. Quality: Fit, finish and build on this guitar was excellent; especially for the price. The korina made the guitar extremely light but didn't dissapoint on the tone. I've got a PRS McCarty with the brazilian rosewood neck and fretboard and this guitar was very comparable once the pick-ups were changed. A lght but very sturdy guitar. Value: This guitar is an incredible value. Manufacturer Support: Never had a problem...don't know The Wow Factor: Tell you what, this a great looking rocker with tons of sex appeal. Classic looks and very playable with lots of tone. I wish I still had it but some low life sob broke into my house in Memphis stole it along with several others. I'm looking for another at the right price...seems they've gone up in price. Overall: I've owned Gibsons, PRS's, Fenders, and Hamers but this was a first Epi. I was shocked at the quality and playability of this guitar. Investing a couple more dollars for pick-up and upgraded hardware and you've got a truely great guitar. But if you don't want to invest a few more dollars, it's a hell of a deal right off the shelf.

"really cool guitar in a sea of guitars. tweaking it to your specs will make it an even more playable" submitted February 9, 2008

Overall
Musical Background: living room rock star
Music Style: classic rock
Sound: i'm gonna get a new bridge p/u. way too much feedback! also, pots are really scratchy. easily replaceable Feature: absolutly beutiful guitar. i can't stop looking at it! Ease of Use: extreamly playable, really nice neck. needs better tuners. they say grover on them, but i've used grovers, and these don't match up Quality: aside from what i already stated, this guitar is an exellent value. imput jack is going to be an issue. Value: great value. but you will need to do a little tweeking, at least i'm going to Manufacturer Support: never needed it, yet The Wow Factor: all you have to do is look at it. i've wanted one for some time, and it was well worth the wait! Overall: i would definatly replace this if lost or stolen. as i've said, there are minor issues that are easily solvible. what i like most about it is, it's stunning to look at, and very playable.

"Epiphone Korina Flying V" submitted March 4, 2012

By Mark S in Rochester, NY
Overall
Overall: Excellent guitar for the money... I was amazed amazed at how fast they were able to ship it out to me. I was thinking that the origianl pickups would need to be changed but I am completely satisfied with the sound. Very nice playable neck and excellent sustain . For those that complain about the difficulty playing a V style guitar all I have to say is that it forces you to sit in a proper playing posture so not a huge issue. I would recommend this guitar to anyone.

"Epiphone 1958 Korina Flying V Guitar" submitted August 30, 2012

By Randy S in Jacksonville Beach, FL
Musical Background: Playing 37 years, Guitar and Bass, Professional
Music Style: Rock+
Overall: The guitar looks great and sounds good. I'm still getting acclimated to the thicker neck. I will install strap locks ASAP as the screws have stripped out on all my EPI electrics, Les Paul, Explorer and Thunderbird.

"For real" submitted May 22, 2008

Musical Background: active hobbyist
Music Style: alternative, rock, metal, blues, some country/blue grass
Sound: The price on this istrument at its price is the best quality/diversity you will get Feature: The set comes with all you need, a wrench for the neck. They include a cable, but not huge great quality, lets be real, you don't buy this for the free cable. Ease of Use: I bought a les pual standard from epiphone, and I no longer have it. This guitar is much easier to play, and so much more quality. Quality: I say if you like standing out amoung guitarist, go with this guitar, it is my main axe. I've been playing for 5 years and is one of the most unike sound and style in its class. Value: similar offers wont compare, get them while they are here. Manufacturer Support: never had to use support The Wow Factor: The color, to me, says I go everywhere, and look sexy doing it. Overall: I will never, ever, EVER, get rid of this guitar, it's my dream.

"Epiphone 1958 Korina Flying V" submitted December 9, 2016

By Joe Abrams in Phoenix, AZ
Musical Background: Guitar - jam at home
Music Style: Blues
Overall: Decent guitar, very light compared to other korina guitars I've had. High e string would not stay in nut when tuned. Nut had to be fixed by luthier.

"Soar HIgh With The 'V'" submitted November 28, 2014

By Xavier P
Musical Background: I have been playing for 15 years
Music Style: Rock, Metal, Nu Metal, Funk
Overall: By far this is the best guitar I've ever owned. The stock pick ups sound great whether clean or with dirt. A common issue would be the neck, it has a 1950's profile meaning it is thicker, and neck heavy. However the cool 'retro-future' looks of this beauty more than makes up for it! Check out a quick demo of this beauty! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lsjqm4xqgTg

"do yourself a favor" submitted March 10, 2007

Musical Background: something nice
Music Style: metal, rock, hard rock
Sound: trully great. awsome punch! Feature: I bought a hard case for may guitar and it rocks. Ease of Use: even my dad could get a good solo out of this. Quality: really amazing. gibson quality. Value: no commets Manufacturer Support: not yet The Wow Factor: I got the ebony and it is the most beautiful guitar out there Overall: have you just read what I said???!!!!

"Korina" submitted March 21, 2006

Musical Background: recording musician
Sound: It has a nice ring for me. The sustain is there, but it is not overpowering. It is eay to get a good tone with this. Feature: The three-mode switch is noce, and the tone knobs are helpful. I would like a whammy bar on it, but ohter than that, it was awesome. Ease of Use: Pretty easy for a good sound. Almost all string types float on this guitar. Quality: The mode switch broke within a month, and the neck twisted in a year, but the neck was from the cold (i;m from alaska). the switch could be a little stronger. Value: It is awesome

When you call, mention priority code 1ZT-45KB. Llame Gratis en Español: 800-460-7976