When you call, mention priority code 172F-T6JR

Rating and Reviews: Epiphone Genesis Dlx PRO

The Epiphone Genesis is back. Designed to evoke the 1979-era collector favorite, this Deluxe PRO model boasts a pair of ProBucker pickups with coil-tapping.

Overall

"For $499 you get a tremendous amount of guitar. An original Epiphone design well worth it's price." submitted September 30, 2013

By Roy D in Fort Scott, KS
Overall
Musical Background: I've been playing stringed instruments since I was nine (I'm 57 now). I started in the school orchestra on Viola.
Music Style: I play mostly blues, some rock.
Overall: The quality of this guitar is outstanding. The AAA top and Vintage Sunburst finish are gorgeous. The weight is pretty close to my Les Paul Standard, and access to the upper fretboard is as good as my G400 or Wilshire, where the body joins the neck at the 22nd fret, but this is much sturdier in the joint area. The neck is attached to the body at the eighteenth fret and sports a Slim Taper D Shape and a volute that strengthens the neck at the headstock. The body and neck binding and fret dressing are flawless. The fretmarkers are smooth and well fitted. The Probuckers are the best pickups Epiphone has ever made. Rich, round, throaty Humbucker tones. Thin, precise, barking tones in the coil split mode. I was slow to embrace coil splitting but I now have three guitars with the feature and find it a very useful tool for tone shaping, and this baby has bucketloads of tone and sustain, like a Les Paul. Hard to beat the combination of mahogany, maple and rosewood.
16 of 17 people (94.12%) found this review helpful. Did you?

"Love My Epiphone Genesis" submitted June 29, 2014

By john h in memphis, TN
Musical Background: Played 43yrs play at home and jam sometimes
Music Style: rock, blues and country
Overall: Plays great, sounds great, beautifully finished and nice feeling neck with grovers. got mine for 419.00 they beat Musicians friends sale price where they are 499.00 now but zZounds got em for 399.00 buy now you want be sorry. Owned Gibson Les Paul custom that was stolen have had my equipment stolen twice and vow no more 3500.00 guitars

"great quality guitar" submitted July 29, 2013

By DON STUTTS in WEED, NM
Overall
Musical Background: 50 years playing rock/hard rock. gigging musician. play guitar, keys, bass
Music Style: rock, hard rock
Overall: i'm a lefty and flip righty guitar to play. have spent a lifetime playing that way and feeling cheated out of the upper register on most of my guitars except my PRS ce 24. anyhow, i love les pauls but could never find a dc so i've played righty les pauls for years. enter the epi genesis. dual cut, total access for me. that alone would be enough, BUT........this $499 guitar is freakin' unreal. it sounds and plays as good as my $3000 gibby les paul. i kid you not. the fit, finish and tone are to die for. i run all my guitars through my eleven rack into the pa and you cannot tell the epi genesis from the gibson les paul. i did lower the action, change strings and set intonation out of the box. i do this to all my guitars. the pots are scratch free, frets, inlays, etc are PERFECT. how do they do it at this price?
12 of 13 people (92.31%) found this review helpful. Did you?

"My sapphire beauty" submitted March 18, 2014

By Gilbert R in Canoga Park, CA
Overall
Musical Background: Front porch groove getter. Groovin' on & off for a few years. Damn, I wasted precious time in those off periods.
Music Style: Rock, blues, jazz, classical. I love playing classical on electric. (Can't help it). My next project is a John Cipollina set up:
Overall: Can't call myself a true guitar player. More of a "practicioner"-one who loves to practice. This Genesis has become the fave axe in my small stable of four (and counting...can't stop...it's a beautiful addiction collecting these here gitars). Played great right out of the box. I suppose I could take her to a tech and get her tweaked a bit; maybe one day I will if I can bear the separation. I haven't even explored the available sonic possibilities much. At present I'm enamored with my random volume/tone settings. I bought a blonde Epi Sheraton last year & I thought she was my true love. Not so. Ms. Genesis is more to my liking in touch & tone. Sorry Sheri. I love Epi's. I'd rather have 3 or 4 Epi's than one Gibson. Personal preference on my spending practices(more bang for the buck).

"genesisters" submitted November 19, 2014

By zack wright in LA, CA
Overall
Musical Background: 20+ yrs gigging- guitar/bass/vox- currently co-fronting "OddAzzCity"
Music Style: Rock, funk, punk, alt- "OddAzzCity"
Overall: I bought a blue Epiphone Genesis a year ago to use as a standard tuned backup to my drop D tuned Gibson LP - most of my stuffs in drop D so it got 2 maybe 3 strokes per set - at some point I stopped switching, and started just re tuning my LP when I had to - for about a month the Epi sat -one night about 7 months ago i broke the E on the Paul and used the Epi for a whole set mostly in D- and my beautiful LP has sat ever since-I've got I think 10 elec gits, mostly 2 humbucker LP style- an Iceman, Aria pro ll Cardinal, Epi LP, Hagstrom Viking, plus a Tele, a baritone, and an elec resonator- all I've had a blue gens for about a year and used to use it as a standard tuned backup to my drop d tuned gibson LP - most of my stuffs in drop d so the epi wud only get 2 maybe 3 strokes per set- at some point I stopped switching, and started just re tuning my E when I had to-for about a month the epi sat -one night about 7 months ago i broke the E on the Paul and used the epi for a whole set mostly in D- and my beautiful LP has sat ever since-I've got I think 10 elec gits, mostly 2 humbucker LP style-an iceman, aria pro ll cardinal, epi LP, hagstrom viking, plus a Tele, a baritone, and an elec resonator - all wonderfully unique in their character, but this Asian made Genesis stands above all of them in tone, feel, response, looks and price - today i just scored a 2nd one-brand new cherry red factory 2nd for less than half the money I spent on #1- but i could drop 5 or 600 for this git and feel ok about it- what a special guitar this thing is- next up is an original genesis and I'll write a review comparing my 2 reissues to the OG. If you play any style of rock and roll and are considering this git...BUY IT.

"Epiphone Genesis Deluxe Pro" submitted May 7, 2014

By David Torres in Haltom City, TX
Overall
Overall: I Recently bought the Epiphone Genesis and was really excited to get it. I was really happy with the customer service I got from zzounds. Now in saying that over all I'm happy with the guitar but not thrilled about it. I found out that Epiphone has changed manufacturers and the quality of the guitar is not as good as it use to be. Any Epiphone guitar made around 2013 was made in China the new factory that Epiphone is dealing with now. I got my guitar and took it to my local guitar shop and had them do a set up on my guitar. He was having a little trouble with the neck because he said it looked like they didn't cure it long enough so it was still a little green. Every time he would get it to where he needed to be, when he would start missing with the strings he would have to adjust it again. Now like I said over all I'm still happy with it because I like the sound and the fact that it has the split coils in it. I'm also happy with the color of the one that I got and how nice it was when I opened the case. I didn't pay a lot for it so it's not like I was expecting something excellent. So I hope this was helpful.

"Limited Edtion Genesis Deluxe" submitted April 5, 2013

By Joseph B in Terryville, CT
Musical Background: 0ff and on 50 years only play to relax
Music Style: rock and blues
Overall: Got this guitar today 4-5-13!!!! Not to bad out of the box but will have it set-up. This is one beautiful sounding and is awesome looking!!!!!

"Epiphone Limited Edition Genesis DLX PRO" submitted December 16, 2014

By Robert S in Bethany, OK
Overall
Musical Background: Played professionally 30 yrs.
Music Style: country, blues and jazz
Overall: Do not buy this guitar. E string and A string appears to have a bad buzz. Fret board has a bad stain job, appears has spots where stain did not take and fret board is not smooth. They should recall this guitar. If you want the hassle of sending it back and hope the replacement is better,or take it to a dealer to fix the problem or just wait forever for a refund then buy it. Myself, I haven't decided what avenue I will take just yet.

"At this price, buy two!" submitted December 6, 2014

By Aaron Russell in Cameron, NC
Overall
Musical Background: I'm 52 and I've been playing electric and acoustic guitars for 41 years. I fake it on bass, e-drums, guitar and keyboard synths
Music Style: I started at age 11 as a singer-songwriter, strumming an acoustic and singing. Then I heard Bad Co. and Aerosmith and got inter
Overall: BedRock here - and I did. I liked my midnight sapphire so much I bought a black cherry. The Ltd. Ed. Genesis Dlx PRO is a lot of guitar for the money and the quality is very good. The first guitar was flawless but I did find a blemish on the second: a patch on the side of the neck heel where the finish was sloppy. I decided I could live with it and didn't send it back. Otherwise, the red one was as good as the blue one. I had a specific sound in mind when I bought my first Genesis: low-mids and bass like a LP, but with bright, open treble like a tele. I had studied the effect that body shape has on the basic timbre and knew on sight that the Genesis would do it, and I got exactly what I wanted. I admit I had some trepidation waiting for it to arrive since China is so infamous for their workmanship, but it was worth the risk. Reading all the material I could find on it, it appears that Epiphone has built a new factory for these. The PRO Series are made separately from other Epis. I also dug around for info on the pickups, which are made from the exact design specs and the identical materials as Gibson's Burstbuckers. Gibson dissected some of their pre-1960 humbuckers. The reason '57 Les Pauls all sound different is that the pickups are wildly inconsistent. Different alnico magnets were chosen at random. The coils were wound by hand instead of by machine and, inevitably, each bobbin had a different number of turns (they stopped when the bobbin looked "full"). Gibson took the sweetest sounding magnets, alnico II, and determined the best offset of windings to give them the right amount of bite. Remember, in 1957 there was no such thing as "hard rock". If you want better string separation at high gain, get pups with stronger magnets. The only difference between PROs and Bursts is where they're made. I think if you expect bad sounding pups because they're inexpensive your ears will make up flaws. But to me, the PROBuckers on my Genesis sound smooth, bright and balanced with ample low-end grunt. That said, I'm leaving the PROBuckers on the blue guitar. They're as close to perfect as a vintage replica can get. I'm setting the other guitar up for a balsier classic rock sound, though. I can't justify putting $200 worth of pickups on a guitar in this price range. Iron Gear (UK) makes a pair called the "Dirty Torque" (bridge) and the "Blues Engine" (neck). I listened to one particular sound bite and my first thought was "Jimmy Page". They're $50 a pop + shipping.

"You can't have just one." submitted November 1, 2014

By Aaron Russell in Cameron, NC
Overall
Musical Background: Been playing 41 years. I play 5-str electric bass, e-drums and synthesizer.
Music Style: I play original "space rock", a combination of soft-to-medium 70's classic rock against a backdrop of classic electronica and am
Sound: One of my favorite guitarists is Steve Howe of YES. Instead of pentatonic scales and a blues vocabulary, he plays solos that are soaring, free-form and melodic. He plays a telecaster and the tone is bright and clear. I aspire to that kind of playing but I prefer a guitar sound that's more full in the low-mids and bass. One glance at the Genesis and I knew it would give me exactly what I was looking for - a compromise between a tele and an LP. Ever buy a Paul and wish it was brighter? Feature: I don't have much to add to the Specs so I'll just mention the things I like or don't like. My guitar arrived flawless and perfectly set up, though I had to lower the action a bit. A lot of guitars and guitar parts including pickups and tuners are designed in the USA and reproduced oversees with a great deal of oversight and quality control by the American maker. The instruments coming out of Indonesia, Korea and Mexico have been exceptional of late. The Genesis has [presumably imported] Grover tuners. The Epiphone ProBuckers are made using the design specs of Gibson's BurstBuckers. These are a more refined, consistent version of late 50's pickups and are made with exactly the same materials. I usually replace the pups on my guitars but I see no reason to replace these.The only feature that I'm going to change are the push-pull pots for coil tapping. It's just a personal preference but imo, a mahogany-bodied guitar is the wrong place for coil taps. Too much volume is lost and they sound thin because the guitar doesn't naturally produce the frequencies a single-coil is designed to pick up. I prefer just a series-parallel switch for the bridge pup. For the neck pickup, it's unnecessary. In my experience, there's no improvement in sound over standard series wiring. Turn down the volume and tone a bit and the ProBuckers will give you that sweet "flutey" AlNiCo II sound. Ease of Use: My hands are a little small for a lead guitarist but the neck on the Genesis feels great. This guitar is Les Paul-heavy and I have sciatica so I just use a very wide strap. It works well enough. Quality: I went over my Genesis with a magnifying glass the day it arrived. I couldn't find a single flaw. I checked the most important things. The neck is straight as an arrow and came with the right amount of bow. The neck was neatly set and Epiphone uses a solder-less wiring harness that's guitar tech-friendly. Value: I bought mine while it was on sale but even at the regular price it's worth at least double that amount compared to other guitars I own. Value? The value is insane. Manufacturer Support: Didn't need to contact them. The Wow Factor: My Genesis is a thing of beauty. The blue finish actually leans a little toward the green so that it's more of a turquoise. I'm not sure if this was a fluke but someone was thoughtful enough to book-match the veneer. You can follow the grain all the way across the top. I've seen pictures of some where that was not the case. I'm certainly going to find out. The guitar I was using for the bulk of my music used to be my 1996 American Strat Deluxe Plus. Then it was a Samick Torino that I heavily modified and is very versatile. Now, the position of my "main guitar" goes to the Epiphone Ltd. Ed. Genesis PRO. Eventually, they're going to quit making these and I want to always have one available because it's the perfect guitar for me. So I just ordered another one; black cherry this time.I was hard on the guitar in my ratings. I deducted a star from 'Features' due to the push-pull coil-tap switches. Again, just personal preference. I really don't like push-pull pots period. I deducted a star from "Sound" only because I'll need to have a series-parallel switch installed for the bridge pup before I can get the nice clean sounds I know this guitar can get. Overall: I'm 52 and have been playing since I was 11. Years ago, I made a study of what each element of a solid-body guitar had on the sound - construction, tone woods, electronics and the most elusive of all, the effect the shape of the body has on the instrument's character. I've bought a couple guitars with my choices based on the principles I came up with and they seem to be holding true.This time, I wanted a very specific sound.

"This Was THE BEST Zzounds Purchase YET!" submitted August 28, 2014

By Bob Malin in CLEMENTON, NJ
Overall
Musical Background: I've been playing Guitar for Over 30 years,Semi- Professionally,and Now,Usually for Recording,
Music Style: Blues,Classic / Hard Rock,
Sound: From clean, warm Les Paul type tone for blues style crunch to a little dirty when you want. Nice sustain, either pickup or both, For hot no mud - you can hear the individual string separation when you hit an open, barre, or power chords. When you turn up the joice, lots of harmonics and natural PAF style hi-gain tone. The closest I've ever heard besides these were the Gibson "t-top" humbuckers that I had in my '76 Les Paul Custom. I was really amazed and very, very happy with these pickups. Whatever pots they use in this guitar, they sound incredible. you won't be sorry. Feature: This isn't what you would come to expect from not paying over $500 for a guitar. This sounds like a Custom Shop (as a matter of a fact it has "Custom Shop" on the back of the headstock.) Very cool Ease of Use: It doesn't get better than this. I have 9-42 gauge strings that I put on mine as soon as I had checked everything over on it's arrival (not that it needed new strings) but it's become a "ritual" with me. Its low as you'd want to go, zero fret buzz anywhere. Intonation - Dead on and smooth. You can do "pinch harmonics" effortlessly all day long, If thats what makes you smile! Smooth Controls and tuners that actually stay in tune, just tighten the tuner knobs a skosh when you tune up. Usually any new guitar will need this done out of the box. Quality: Quality is a huge positive when you see/feel/play this guitar, no bull. Value: If I would have had the cash, I'd have bought 2!! Manufacturer Support: NEVER Had to Contact EPIPHONE for ANYTHING BUT REGISTERING A NEW GUITAR,Or Throwing a few COMPLIMENTS To EPIPHONE!! Never hard to contact Epiphone for anything buy registering a new guitar or throwing a few compliments to epiphone!! The Wow Factor: Never Had a BLUE Guitar Before,...The FLAME on this See-Thru Woodgrain Finish Is GORGEOUS ! OVERALL,It just MAKES ME WANT TO PLAY MORE! Overall: The Epiphone Limited Edition genesis deluxe Pro is truthfully one of the best guitars I have owned. Thank you zZounds! The Guitar is beautiful, Only had to lower the string height and now it's perfect. I was skeptical about the ProBucker Pickups. I usually change out the stock Epiphone Humbuckers for Seymour Duncans but when I plugged it in for the "test drive" all I can say is "Believe the hype!" You'll see some reviews that are good and bad where these humbuckers are concerned but I have been playing for over 30 years, everything from B.B. King to Disturbed, and these ProBuckers are warm, harmonic, and articulate. In simple terms no thin, tinny sounding, bass week and muddy response. When cranked on the hi-grain side, great when played clean and great when you want a little crunch. Just plain awesome the louder and dirtier you go :) I could go on but there are a lot of other positive things about this guitar to mention.

"BEST GUITAR I've Bought In A LONG TIME!!" submitted August 12, 2014

By Robert W. MALIN in CLEMENTON, NJ
Overall
Musical Background: BEEN PLAYING GUITAR For OVER 30 YEARS,GIGGED AND NOW Mostly RECORDING
Music Style: ROCK,HARD ROCK,BLUES,Mild METAL,
Sound: Probuckers will stay in this guitar. It sounds beautiful, either in single coil or humbucker mode. Nice warm harmonic tone, bridge and neck. No complaints! Feature: Split coils gets about ANY Gibson/Fender type tone you need if you're a gigging guitarist. Ease of Use: It's just as easy as any other guitar provided you know how to play :) Quality: NOT ONE BLEMISH OR UNEVEN FRET. Awesome craftsmanship! Value: Guitar was less at another store but zZounds honored their lower price guarantee without a problem. Manufacturer Support: never had to use them in the 30 + years of playing Epiphones. That should say it all right there! The Wow Factor: Appearance, price, quality, tone, playability; all of these put together made this a once in a lifetime buy. Thank you Epiphone for one hell of a guitar!!! Overall: BEAUTIFUL OUT OF THE BOX. Had to adjust the action but that's a given. Once you set an Epiphone up with new strings, polish the fretboard, and adjust the intonation a smidge YOU ARE SET for as long as you have your EPI!! (Unless you change string gauge or travel a lot with the guitar from different climates; i.e. tours, humidity changes, temperature changes) If you travel with it, it's a necessary evil but it will stay relatively close, not drastic. This guitar sounds as good as some high dollar Gibson guitars I've had. The Probuckers are staying and not getting changed. If it ain't broke dont fix it :) Never had a blue guitar and I'm happy with the midnight sapphire. Photos don't do the flametop justice!! I LOVE MY GENESIS!!

"UNBELIEVEABLE GUITAR, If GIBSON was on the Headstock,You Couldn't tell the Difference !" submitted August 8, 2014

By Rob M in CLEMENTON, NJ
Musical Background: Been PLAYING/FIXING/BUILDING Guitars for Over 35 Years
Music Style: Rock/Blues
Overall: AWESOME GUITAR, sounds ,plays, and looks AS GOOD as a Limited Edition GIBSON!! As is The NORM. Out of the box It needed a good Set-up and this particular one; a GOOD FRETBOARD CLEANING/DRESSING. The frets had NO shine and a few of the frets above the 9th looked as though they had some sort of "OVERSPRAY" (?) on them. I broke out my trusty Dremel, some polishing compound for the fretwire, and my fretboard dressing kit from DUNLOP (SERIES 65). After an hour maybe a little better, It was AS GOOD or BETTER Than a NEW QUALITY CONTROL INSPECTED Epiphone or even a GIBSON. I put on 9-42 gauge strings and didn't have to TOUCH the intonation or truss rod. ACTION is LOW, smooth and FAST. The fretboard reminds me of the OLD FRETLESS WONDER Styled LP CUSTOMS! I was thinking about contacting zZounds for an exchange. The fretboard/frets really were unacceptable as it came out of the box. NOT just the USUAL adjusting the string height. If I didn't know a bit about guitar set-ups ,and have my Dremel,I would have had a JOB on my hands to make it right. BUT, looking the guitar over after opening the box and checking everything else out, It was not a MAJOR undertaking and could have been WORSE. I Wouldn't trade the action for a Gibson or any other guitar for ANYTHING. It PLAYS LIKE BUTTER and intonation, action, playability are DEAD ON For my tastes now. A CAUTIONARY NOTE: if You have any DOUBTS with your Luthier Skills, DO NOT ATTEMPT to do ANYTHING like this YOURSELF! A Mistake, especially using a power tool, COULD EASILY cause more SERIOUS PROBLEMS for You. Warranty would be VOID and you would be STUCK with a guitar needing EXPERT REPAIRS. Then to add more insult to injury, and Incurring more unnecessary cost. I have been Fixing/Refinishing, etc my own guitars, and have training in some Luthiary related repairs so,sometimes I take a chance to do things myself. BUT, just reading an article in a repair book or guitar mag doesn't make it worth the RISK If You aren't sure you can pull it off. Luckily this time I had a LUTHIER'S ANGEL on my shoulder and it came out A LOT better than I had Expected,Thank GOD :) ALL IN ALL, the GENESIS Is an INCREDIBLE GUITAR, I have NEVER BEEN HAPPIER With a guitar, especially at the PRICE I paid! THANKS ZZOUNDS !!!

When you call, mention priority code 172F-T6JR. Llame Gratis en Español: 800-460-7976