When you call, mention priority code 156F-JT46

Rating and Reviews: Epiphone Prophecy EM2

Quilt maple top. EpiActive pickups, razor sharp attack and sustain. Rosewood neck.

"Not Just For The Bedroom Rocker..." submitted September 10, 2010

By a customer from verizon.net
Overall
Musical Background: hobbyist, been in the music retail business a number of years
Music Style: Metal
Sound: Epi Actives. Switchable between active mode and passive mode. Excellent idea...I hope the person that thought that one up gets a promotion. Or at least a raise. These pickups attempt to do what all active pickups do, and that is provide a very focused and articulate midrange punch. And that they do. They're very high output. Do they sound like EMG's or SD Blackouts? No. Only EMG's and Blackouts sound like EMG's and Blackouts respectively. These tend to have more high end bite to them. The bottom on mine tends to sound a tad fizzy, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. It's just different. In passive mode the output gets reined in a bit and the EQ curve tends to flatten out more. Very remimiscent of a set of SD 59's. Great for Classic Rock and maybe even blues. Great fluidity on the neck p/u for creamy lead tones. Feature: Based on the old 90's Gibson M-III body, Gibson's attempt to compete with Kramer, Jackson, Charvel, et. al. Differences being H-S-H pickup combo (non-active natch!), set neck, licensed Floyd Rose trem, and reversed headstock circa the style of the time. By all accounts this was a flop for Gibson, mostly because they jumped on the wagon way too late...just as hair metal and virtuoso shredding were being buried by grunge. This piece, while retaining that retro vibe has definitely gone through a modern makeover that distances it from it's older relative. First off, obviously, are the active Epi pickups. They're definitely voiced for heavier modern styles. The bolt on maple neck with rosewood fretboard also is a change. The scale length, at 25.5" is more for shredders than the standard Gibson 24.75" scale. The SlimTaper neck profile and satin finish also enhances fretboard pyrotechnics. String through body, while relatively rare in the 90's, is an added feature. Quality hardware all throughout (BTW-these are NOT Grover tuners, as many reviewers have stated. This and the EM2 FX are the only ones not so equipped. These are also the only models in the Prophecy lineup made in Indonesia and not in the Epiphone/Gibson manufacturing facility in China). Otherwise, quality pots and an all metal switching mechanism. Also included are Epi designed strap locks. I'll spend more time on these in the "Quality" section. Ease of Use: The SlimTaper necks featured on all of the Prophecy series are a shredders dream come true. If you've never played on a flat-wide profile neck before you'll be amazed at how nimble your fingers become. I'm hooked on 'em and I can't ever go back to the more tradional U shape now. I do have a slight issue with the positioning of the pickup selector. It's between the volume pot (which you pull UP on to enter passive mode) and the tone pot. I've found myself running into them a few times when I change pickups. No bigggie, it'll just take some getting used to. Quality: As stated before, quality throughout. Nice tight join in the neck pocket. Heavy duty four bolt neck construction. Beautiful "Midnight Sapphire" maple cap (surely a veneer). Well done creme binding all over and six on a side mini tuners. Volume and tone knobs are knurled metal for a good grip and easy adjustment. At first I thought the provided straplocks left something to be desired in their design. They're basically a push-on/pull-off spring clip fit, so my concern was that they could be pulled off in more, uh, inspired moments of stage antics. However, I ran some tests on them and determined that the torque required to release them is far more than could ever be generated by throwing your guitar over your shoulder/around your head/between your legs etc. I have full faith in them to do their job. The strap buttons are designed to also allow you to use them without the strap locks if you so desire. Value: Value is where this guitar exceeds all expectations, along with every guitar in the Prophecy lineup. While this one might be the odd duck low end model it by no means feels or plays like a "budget" guitar. This axe feels solid throughout. Great sounding pickups and top notch hardware belie the very low price of this guitar. Manufacturer Support: Excellent support. I've emailed Gibson/Epiphone on numerous occassions with technical questions and case questions and they've always responded within twenty four hours with helpful information. zZounds support is the best in the business. They take care of their customers. The Wow Factor: This is definitely a different guitar as far as it's body design. At one time Gibson took a gamble on some revolutionary body designs (Explorer, Flying V, Futura, Moderne). At the time they didn't pay off...just a little too radical for the staid 1950's. Well, history will tell you that they became very popular several decades after their initial production had ceased. And as with most issues of style now we see them revived and revitalized (Well, maybe not polyester leisure suits. Some things really do deserve a permanent death...). The M-III/EM-2 body design, not initially arriving until the 90's may or may not fall into this category. Only time will tell. But it is definitely unique! Overall: Despite it's low price this is not just a "beginner's guitar" meant for bedroom rockers. I have two other Epiphone Prophecy guitars, a Les Paul Custom EX and an SG Custom GX. Both of them are outstanding guitars and a great value. With that experience in mind I decided to take a chance on the EM-2, since it was certainly cheap enough. I'm glad I did! This guitar is outstanding! I'm amazed these days at the value one is able to find in musical instruments and Epiphone is surely at the forefront of this. They seem to know what people expect and they deliver those expectations. I eventually hope to get a chance to own one each of every guitar in the Prophecy range. They're that good.

"Epiphone well worth Bang For A Few Bucks" submitted July 7, 2009

Musical Background: Former Working Musician, 20 year break. Just back fo late
Music Style: Classic Rock, Blues
Sound: The EM-2 EX has a bright and crunchy sound on the Active mode with the EPI-Active P/U's on active and a mellow tone for Blues in the off position. I use it with my Marshall MG Full STK, Kustom HDFX 100 2x12, Raven Practice RG20 1x12 all with on Board FXs and just one Wah and it does an excellent job. Feature: The Grover tuners work Great, stays in tune very well along with the Graphite Nut, TOM bridge and string thru body tail all help with the best sustain. The Neck(Suspectful of Bolt On's)put that to rest with Excellent neck and nice joint and jumbo frets all matched to a suprising Body Material(Poplar) and of course the EPI-Actives all come together. together Ease of Use: All the Mechanics make it Very easy to play. Mine came Inspected and set up right out of the box with a low setting, the way i prefer. Just set the Pups a little. I play Classic Rock and Blues and rides along just Great. Try one out and you will feel it. Quality: The fit and finish of this MidNight Blue are Excellent and its not a Wimppy Stick and Strings, I think with the way I take care of my Gear it should last me a long time. Just two fly's in the ointment are the Push/Pull Vol.- Active/Standard Pot. It should be reversed with Standard down,Active UP. Second Epiphone shoud have used a toggle instead of slider P/U Switch, but thats it... Value: Epi could sell for MSRP and I would Pay ! Manufacturer Support: Never had to Call The Wow Factor: EM-2/ EX Better curves than some ladies I know Overall: I don't expect to sell,give or lend it to anyone for a long time. Steal it, I'll buy another. House burns I'll but EX and FX.

"After 4 months, I STILL LOVE THIS GUITAR." submitted October 26, 2011

Music Style: rock, alternative
Sound: Awesome sound!! With the pickups in active mode the sound is bright and really pushes some distortion. Pickups in passive gives a really warm sound. Only reason it's not a 10 - when the 9 volt is dying it can get pretty rough. The sound clips and gets a bit fuzzy. I'd rather the pickups just turn off if they can't push the sound. Feature: Love the push/pull tone knob for active/passive. Came with a cable and the strap locks. Stock strings were OK, but you'll want to replace them fairly quickly. Breeze to restring. The string through body gives MONSTER sustain. Ease of Use: Volume knob, tone knob, selector switch. Doesn't get much easier. The volume knob especially has a very wide range.. My pet peeve are pots that don't have enough adjustment. Quality: Mostly great. I had to tighten the tone knob and one of the tuning pegs. I assumed they vibrated loose during shipping. The action was OK from the factory, the supplied string gauge was pretty large.. so the height of the string at the nut simply wouldn't allow for much adjustment from the factory. After a week or two I swapped to lighter gauge strings and I had some fret buzz I had to adjust out. Very solid out of the box though. Came with tools. Value: Simply can't be beat. In this price range, your pretty much looking for a starter or practice guitar, and this one MORE THAN exceeds expectations. No hassle setup, simple to restring, great sound. Manufacturer Support: Haven't had to deal with Epiphone, but the packaging materials made support numbers and warranty info very easy to find and fill out. The Wow Factor: LOOKS AMAZING. The blue flametop... the pearl knobs, retro jackson style swept headstock. Finish looks great. Closed pickups. Way more sex appeal than what you pay for. Overall: I expect to keep this guitar for a LONG time. Great sound, no hassle. Holds tune great.

"Excellent cheap guitar." submitted May 15, 2008

Music Style: metal, punk
Sound: The sound is excellent. Feature: Epi-Actives are nice. Would like to see a tremelo without paying an extra hundred dollarz for a Rose. Ease of Use: Low action, easy access to upper frets. Quality: Not the best Epi out there, but great for my needs. Value: Needz mo feachuz, 'sides da pickupz. Manufacturer Support: Haven't needed 'em.

"Worth WAY more than the asking price!" submitted January 21, 2010

Music Style: 80's metal, classic rock, pop and blues
Sound: The EpiActive pickups are pretty sweet. In active mode they scream. In passive mode they're quite a bit more mellow. I appreciate the ability to use them in passive mode. Sustain is reasonably good. I expected a little more sustain from the string through design, but it's not bad. Feature: Again, I like the active/passive pickups. It also came with strap locks, Grover tuners and the pearl knobs. Also, the binding all the way around is a nice touch. I wish the midnight saphire came with the Floyd Rose. I really use a tremelo, not only for vibrato, but for keeping a guitar in tune with the locking nut. Ease of Use: The push/pull of the volume is easy for switching between active and passive modes for the pickups. The strap locks were a little difficult to get on, but that's probably due to the thick leather strap that I used. I wished they had come with instructions on how to install, but after a minute or so I figured out how to install them. Like another poster mentioned, I would have liked a toggle switch instead of the existing switch, but it's not a deal breaker. Quality: The binding all around, the Grover tuners, and the finish are all outstanding. The guitar came pretty much set up and ready to play. The battery for the EpiActives was installed and working. Also of note, I bought a 'blemished' model - for the life of me I can't find anything wrong with it and I'm VERY picky. It feels like an overall solid guitar. I put some GraphitAll on the nut and that has helped it stay in tune. Value: Yes, this product is a terrific value. I own Jacksons, a Kramer, Schecter, a couple of LTD's, a Fender and a Gibson and I put it right up there with these other brands. It's the only guitar that has binding around the entire guitar - my Les Paul doesn't have it around the headstock and my LTD and Jackson only have it around the neck and headstock. Very nice touch! Manufacturer Support: Can't really say - haven't dealt with Epiphone. However, I would like to say that Zzsounds had this delivered to my front door in TWO days! Very good service! The Wow Factor: This guitar is VERY sexy. The flamed maple top is GORGEOUS! I love the shape - very unique. It's also very easy to access the higher frets the way the body cuts away from the neck. The headstock is reminescent of an Gibson Explorer or a banana Kramer which I personally LOVE. I'm an 80's metal enthusiast so that's why I like the shape of these headstocks. Overall: I don't think I'll wear it out. If anything I now want the FX version with the Floyd Rose!

Epiphone Prophecy EM2 Customer Review submitted March 3, 2008

Overall
Sound: The EpiActive are good but not like emgs but since it's active they can easily be installed. Ease of Use: low action and nice neck Quality: well made. Nice hardware too, Value: Active pickups, $300. HELL yeah Manufacturer Support: \

"The pimp GUitarr" submitted March 1, 2008

Overall
Sound: the sound is cool, it has balls and is versatile Ease of Use: low action Quality: goodly made Value: one of the cheapest guitar with actives Manufacturer Support: never needed The Wow Factor: the quilt top is sexy Overall: pimp

When you call, mention priority code 156F-JT46. Llame Gratis en Español: 800-460-7976