When you call, mention priority code 1589-D4XF

Rating and Reviews: Epiphone Dot Guitar

Feel the warm, rich tone of a true semi-hollowbody with the Epiphone Dot Archtop. This jazz icon features set-neck construction and a pair of humbuckers.

"Such A Great Guitar!!!" submitted July 9, 2004

Music Style: punk/rock/alternative
Sound: The sound of this guitar is nearly perfect for what I play. The quality of sound is amazing...it is exactly what I want. The guitar responded to the way I play as if I had owned it for 50 years. This guitar is perfect for my music style(punk/rock/alternative) this guitar would be great live, for a recording or for practice. It destroys the Fenders I have tried out before and my friends Epiphone, this Epiphone dot, along with all the others I have heard are incredible guitars. Feature: Two tone knobs, and two volume knobs along with a built in switch that you can use in place of a footswitch. Quality: This product is made very well. It doesn't go out of hardly ever, you can play it for a good two or three hours straight and it will still be nearly perfectly in tune. The guitar is made very well and has a lifetime warranty which you can't beat. Value: For 430 dollars this guitar is a steal. I really have no clue how Epiphone can make a guitar this nice, sell it for so cheap and make any money...this is a great guitar and truly underpriced. Manufacturer Support: Haven't dealt with them yet. The Wow Factor: When I first heard and saw this guitar I wanted it. You have to play it to know what I meen. Overall: I think this guitar will be with me until it wears out or I die. With a lifetime warranty I think this guitar will make the long haul pretty easily.
52 of 55 people (94.55%) found this review helpful. Did you?

"Dot... Dot... Dot..." submitted May 2, 2004

By a customer from operamail.com
Overall
Music Style: versatile lots of stuff
Sound: Two weeks ago I tried a used epiphone Dot at my local music store and almost didn't buy it because of the price ($260.00). I really liked its look and tone but I couldn't believe it could be as good as I thought it was because of the price they were asking. I thought I was missing some major flaw in it. I doubted myself. I tried a number of much more expensive new guitars and kept coming back to the Dot. I was prepared to spend five times what they were asking for the Dot. I left the store without buying a guitar and couldn't get the Dot out of my mind. I went back an hour later. Buying this guitar was the best deal I ever made on an instrument in all my 25 years of playing. Feature: So far so good. I can see the switch is cheap and the pods could be changed but so what. It sounds great and when and if they give me trouble I'll change them. Oh yeah, the nut is plastic. Quality: Change the hardware and pickups if you want. The rest of this guitar is killer. Value: I've never seen a better deal. I would give it an 11 on a scale of 10. Manufacturer Support: Never needed any. The Wow Factor: Looks great unless the Flying-V is your ideal of the perfect looking guitar. My Dot is red. The finish is flawless. Overall: Every guitar is diffrent. You can pay a lot for a 'big name' guitar and still end up with a turkey. You just have to try them out. I can tell you from experience, the name on the guitar doesn't make it sound good or bad--it's the indivigual guitar. If you're looking as a collector and the name is the thing and re-sale is important the dot is out of the running from the start. But if you're looking for big sound with a small price tage I say try out some Dots. My Dot is one great instrument. I can't say they all are. I took it to a jam session and it was still in tune when I took it out of the case. We were playing jazz standards, not a lot of string bending. I didn't have to tune it once in two hours. I couldn't believe it. I kept checking it with a tuner. If I find another like this one tomorrow I'd buy it.
34 of 36 people (94.44%) found this review helpful. Did you?

"Can't be any more satisfied with this beauty" submitted June 14, 2014

By Adrian Soto in Bossier City, LA
Overall
Musical Background: Guitarist for 15+ years, professional gigger and even a studio guitarist for some time
Music Style: Blues, Rock, Funk, Reggae
Overall: I've always heard that nothing can imitate a Gibson. A few years ago I may have believed that...until I purchased this guitar as a side axe. I currently own and have owned a couple other Gibsons over the years. Two of which were semi-hollow and one an actual 335. I am deadly serious when I say that the tone and even the feel and a lot of the look is VERY similar to the original. I was impressed just piddling away with it coming right out of the box. I saw the potential and then went to work on it. I changed the strings, adjusted the action and intonation and only had to do very little for the pickup height and damnit, she was ready. I decided that she was even worthy of throwing it through my Super Reverb and I fell in love. The quality of this Epiphone guitar left nothing to be desired. I basically got what I paid for times ten. It carries a beautiful lower tone for those subtle blues riffs and gives you those classic cryin' highs that you're looking for. She left me with chills a couple times. The finish is absolutely wonderful. I got the classic cherry and when she's under the low stage light, she looks like she's on fire (heard that from a couple spectators in the crowd). I'm telling you, this guitar is worthy of the time and care that goes into a more expensive guitar...except you're paying less. I seriously haven't picked up any of my more noble heritage axes in several months because every time I play this thing I'm in awe. This isn't some stupid "paid review" or anything retarded like that. This is a skin and bone, seasoned musician letting you know that I think Epiphone has gotten their sh*t together and are putting out some quality. If you decided to get this and either put a little work into it or get it worked on, and you know how to actually play the damn thing, you'll love it. I promise.

"Great Value in a versatile guitar." submitted July 8, 2011

Music Style: Worship, Rock, Country
Sound: This is one of the most versatile guitars I have ever owned. Whether I am pushing it in full overdrive or crystal clear clean, this guitar gets it done. There has been no need to even consider upgrading the pickups. Feature: Includes everything you would expect in a hollow body guitar with the exception of a tremelo. Ease of Use: Again,very versatile whether playing metal or jazz. I am running this guitar through a Fender Princeton Chorus. I also play a Fender LoneStar strat through the same amp. This guitar provides a much warmer and rich acoustic tone on the clean channel. Quality: I have the natural finish and it is beautiful. There is attention to detail like the finish around the "f" holes. Many guitars in this price range neglect this area and leave it unfinished. Neck is smooth and fast, Fret work is outstanding. Hardware is solid and includes Grover tuners. I did have a slight problem with the G string staying in tune after major bending. Graphite in the nut fixed this issue easily. Value: This guitar is a great value and provides versatility for many styles of music. Manufacturer Support: I have not had a need to contact customer service. The Wow Factor: Few guitars have the finish this guitar provides. It's as "sexy" as a hollow body guitar can get. Overall: I've owned this guitar for about 2 years. I can't see parting with it. I've owned many guitars over the years and this is one of my favorites. Sure I would love to have a 335 but for the money, you won't find a better quality guitar than the Dot.
10 of 11 people (90.91%) found this review helpful. Did you?

"The guitar with the puritan work ethic" submitted August 30, 2003

By a customer from earthlink.net
Music Style: Nouveau psychedelica / moody & brooding
Sound: Well constructed hollowbody that resonates nicely even unplugged. It has the meatiest sound of any guitar in my arsenal (including Strats and a Ric) and also one of the most versatile. It begs to be played through a Vox amplifier (the new valvetronix series have merit)-- with some overdrive and reverb the pentatonic overtones come SOARING out of this guitar. It's perfect for psycho-revisionists like Spritualized, BRMC, Lupine Howl, and myself. Feature: For a 'made in Korea' guitar I feel the workmanship is applaudable. The tuners work very well and the pickups are now authentic Gibson double coils, as opposed to low output Samsung pickups that had been used some years ago. Each guitar comes with a 'Set-up * inspected by Gibson in the USA' tag, which is a believable claim. I bought an Epiphone Bigsby-style vibrato tailpiece but won't install it until I replace the tuners with Schallers. Quality: It played perfectly right out of the box. The (cherry) finish on the guitar is beautiful, and it's as big as a damn coffee table. I've heard the electronics are questionable and may need replacing but mine have lasted about two years so far without signs of fading. One of the best things about these instruments are that they're great, but are cheap enough to carry a backup. I don't. Value: You're not going to find a better sounding guitar in this price range. I've played this alongside Gibson 335's and simply do not hear a $2000 difference. Manufacturer Support: Have not dealt with / have not needed to deal with. The Wow Factor: I keep it on a stand because just seeing it sitting in the corner makes me want to pick it up & play. Overall: I have a love affair with archtops, and this is the best-looking, best-sounding model that I can think of.

"nice axe" submitted November 14, 2013

By joe f in dunnellon, FL
Overall
Musical Background: PLAYED PROFESSIONALLY FOR MANY YEARS-NOW I WRITE AN PLAY CHRISTIAN ROCK-BLUES
Music Style: CHRISTIAN ROCK-BLUES-AJ CHRISTIAN BAND
Overall: Well the fist one I got the guitar input jack was so loose that when I unplugged it the jack fell into the body-I immediately called zzounds an they sent me a return shipping label-as soon as ups scanned the label zzounds sent me another one-kudos to the staff-when I got the 2nd one the jack was a little loose so I used a tool called jack tight an now its great-the guitar was setup great right out of the box-nice action-great fret work an great sound-I couldn't believe how nice the detail on this eppi is-frets great-action great-finish great-an the pups on this axe sound great also-stays in tune plays great looks great-I got the cherry an its fabulous-buy it u wont be disappointed-an again thanks zzounds for great customer service-

"epiphone dot natural" submitted January 4, 2014

By drew leitch in lewes, DE
Musical Background: 15 years playing
Music Style: blues,classic rock,a little jazz
Sound: the over all sound is fantastic.i was definately pleased.i play blues,classic rock,and a little jazz.the sound is full articulate and robust.so far the pickups are really nice.i play through a fender blues deluxe(all tube)with the presence knob turned up to 7.i initially was going to replace the pickups with some semore duncans,but so far i dont see the need to. Feature: pretty simple guitar,which is what i wanted.but i suppose the semi-hollow body is the most useful feature. Ease of Use: right out of the box with no setup at all, the guitar is very playable,i like the action high because i pluck the strings very hard. Quality: very nice build quality,i really compliment the chinese on building such a quality instrument.which is why we are able to buy something like this for under$2000. Value: the value is amazing,this guitar is worth triple at least,i would have paid double for this. Manufacturer Support: n/a The Wow Factor: i had a choice between this and the sheratonII and i chose this because i saved $200,that i was going to use for pickup replacement.and i still have that option.but so far it souns amazing,wow. Overall: i really wanted a semi hollowbody guitar,because of the deep warm tone that they are known to have,and the epiphone dot delivered.

"My little blues axe! It humors my rockstar fantasies" submitted March 12, 2014

By Joseph Patton in Portland, OR
Musical Background: 5 years, 1 electric - purely for enjoyment
Music Style: Classic rock, blues , folk rock, indie folk, pop
Overall: This guitar was my first entrance into the electric scene after four years of vigorous acoustic guitar play. My favorite music type was lots of folk/blues and indie folk. I grabbed this guitar to start soloing along to some 12 bar patterns. It's been fantastic to learn on, the neck is fast, the construction is sturdy and you can get some great sounds on it. It looks beautiful and the humbuckers sound great in my tweed amp. Would have to recommend to anyone without the Gibson money, I don't think you'll find a better to spec 335 alternative.

"Great guitar for upgrading." submitted July 1, 2011

Overall: I bought my Dot with the intention of upgrading it at the start. I've put in new pickups, new pots, new wiring, a Ghost system piezo pickup which included a new bridge and tail piece, and a graphite nut, along with a complete setup with the frets dressed and polished. It is now my go anywhere do anything guitar. It's a monster of a guitar now. I love this thing. Before all the upgrades it was a decent Epiphone, but suffered all the standard Epiphone problems, staying in tune, lacking real tone, and so on. It was okay at best. But I didn't buy it for it's stock parts. Everybody knows what you do with Epiphone stock parts, you take them out and throw them away. Get rid of that plastic nut and go graphite and it stays in tune for days. I went with a 59 in the neck and Pearly Gates in the bridge and this combo sings with the maple body. Add in the acoustic sounds from the Ghost system and I've got the only guitar I need. It's a thing of beauty now.

"Awesome guitar...just SCREAMS value!" submitted June 22, 2014

By Michael K in Alexandria, VA
Overall
Musical Background: Been playing for 30 years...semi-pro for the last 10.
Music Style: Rock, Blues, Folk, Punk
Overall: My first impression of this guitar, out of the box, was that it was absolutely gorgeous! I got the vintage sunburst model, and it is stunning at any price point. The setup was a little high, but after some VERY minor tweaking, was set right where I like it. Intonation was a little tricky, but I have it set pretty much on the money...and it's staying there. The Grover tuners hold tune very well, and the pickups are nice and warm sounding. The guitar, unplugged, is very resonant and loaded with sustain. The frets could use a bit more polishing, but they are all level and well-dressed. What can I say? Epiphone really seems to know what they're doing, with workmanship that easily rivals a USA-made Gibson.

"Epiphone Dot 335. You wouldn't be disappointed if you got one." submitted March 29, 2008

Overall
Musical Background: Hobby musician/composer.recording engineer.
Music Style: Jazz,folk,folk rock,progressive rock,alternative,easy listening,classical,spanish flamenco.
Sound: Love the sound,from a nice smooth jazz tone in the up position to the bluesy characteristics in the the middle and down switch position.I use a fender blues junior to play it through and it's unbelievably sexy as hell.I can't give the sound 10 as I haven't compared it to it's Gibson original. But the tone a pleasure to here and play with.. Feature: It's an easy guitar to find the sound you want. On picking it up, it feels like a quality instrument.Not a cheap imitation and fits snugly under your arm. Ease of Use: With two volume and two tone pots and three way position switch. You find a great variety in the sounds, a good mix and match playability. Always liked the sound of the 335 and this guitar doesn't disappoint. Quality: Fits comfortably in your hand, a great finish.Smooth easy action,No edges on the fret work.A nicely finished sunburst coloured guitar...I'd have no problem gigging with it. No complaints. Value: Other people I know have other replicas of the original and consesus of opinion is I got the best of the deal all round. Manufacturer Support: Never dealt with the company...Hope I never have to... The Wow Factor: The style, colour, the tone, It's got everything I want in a guitar. Overall: I cannot see me parting with this instrument.It's made in China and they're a credit to it's reputation as the next best thing to a gibson 335.I found it well made with a great finish on it.

"Epi Dot....a great semi-hollow guitar for the money." submitted November 27, 2005

Overall
Musical Background: been playing guitar for about 30 yrs., musician/teaching guitar palying professionally.
Music Style: Rock, blues, alternative, classic rock.
Sound: The sound is very good for an Epi. could not give it a 10 because it isn't a Gibson. but its at least a 9.0 -9.5. you can get anything from rock, jazz, blues, and anything else you can think of. Feature: The stock pickups are good enough for gigging. they are usa made pickups so they do produce some awesome sounds. Quality: this axe is made as good as any guitar that is 100% playable and with the flame VS looks as good as anything out there including Gibson 335's. the only thing is that the b string tuner is rattling slightly after tech did a quick tuneup with new strings after i bought it but when i change the strings again i just have tighten the nut slightly. does not go out of tune, so i will not bother with it for now. you really don't need a backup unless you will play different styles of music. Value: when of the best guitars out there for the money......Period. you will not be sorry after purchasing this guitar, just read all the other reviews about it. Manufacturer Support: never nneded to contact company so i gave this a 10 because of the lifetime warranty. The Wow Factor: i will use this guitar to gig and play at church since i am one of the musicians there. Overall: worth every penny spent.

"simply great" submitted February 5, 2012

By Roberto N in mckinney, TX
Musical Background: Been playing and touring for over 8 years
Music Style: Pop-Punk
Overall: Amazing feel, amazing playability. I own a bunch of Gibsons, epiphones, and fenders, and this one is by far my favorite one. Planning on purchasing at least one more of these.

"Perfect Purchase" submitted June 5, 2014

By Andrew B in Saint Louis, MO
Musical Background: Relative newcomer, plays at home
Music Style: Jazz, folk, indie
Overall: I bought a "blemished" natural Dot Archtop at a savings of $100 and it was a steal. There is literally nothing wrong with the guitar and the natural finish is beautiful. Tone and feel are excellent - I've wanted a semi-hollow for a while and I'm well pleased with this. The guitar is really well finished and has had a lot of daily play in the month or so I've had it. Warm jazz tones and a lot of range, it sounds well even unplugged. A great, great value!

"ES335 Dot" submitted July 13, 2012

By Wally C in Huntington Beach, CA
Musical Background: Experienced
Music Style: Blues, rock, country
Overall: bought this used already knowing the tone was that warm, jazz hollowbody sound. Swapped out the pickups for a set of Pearly Gates from Seymour Duncan and it became a completely different animal! It went from mud to bright and clear. Before, even with all treble settings on the guitar and amp tones cranked to the most treble you could get....... it was still "muddy". With the Seymour Duncan's, just crank up some bass to fill out the sound if you need to! The only thing i didn't like was the tone. But you have to go into hollow's and semi hollow's expecting that warm, muddy sound. Beautiful playing machine!

"Epiphone DOT series electric guitar" submitted December 16, 2013

By Dan L in Simpsonville, SC
Overall
Musical Background: Playing music for 50 years, several instruments and in live settings.
Music Style: Rock, blues
Overall: What a fantastic guitar for the money. I have had the Gibson 335 which was a fantastic instrument but the Epiphone DOT is hard to beat for the money. I use this guitar for home recording, it stays in tune and sound is great. I would highly recommend it.

"Every PLAYER NEEDS A DOT!!!" submitted June 29, 2011

By a customer from sbcglobal.net
Musical Background: Intermediate
Music Style: All
Sound: I like them so much I OWN TWO! One is an Gibson/Epiphone and the other is a Deluxe! Absolutely FUN to play along with great SOUNDS! Quality: Just as good as any!

"Epiphone Dot" submitted October 17, 2013

By Cecil Waldo in Memphis, SK
Musical Background: Playing guitar over 15 years
Music Style: Country,Jazz
Overall: Great guitar and build quality. This guitar was pretty good right out of the box however I did take it to my Luther to have a complete setup. I had a few frets that were to high but she plays like a charm now.....

"Well worth the Money" submitted October 26, 2011

By a customer from sbcglobal.net
Musical Background: Hobbyist, Musician
Music Style: Jazz
Sound: Epiphone makes a great product my guitar sounds great plugged or unplugged, I would definitely recommend this axe. Feature: Didn't really come with any accessories, but I got what I expected. Ease of Use: Everything is straight forward and this is a very playable guitar Quality: I got the ebony model and it was flawless, and with good care I think it will last my lifetime. Value: Can't beat the price, the looks of a Gibson ES335 without breaking the bank Manufacturer Support: I haven't had to call for support so that in it's self is a plus. The Wow Factor: Beautiful, it's me! Overall: I'm always looking for other axes, but this one's a keeper.

"You Gotta try this guitar!!" submitted January 5, 2005

Musical Background: 40 + years off and on
Music Style: Rock,Blues, Jazz
Quality: Just got it and time will tell but it seems very well built. Value: You can't go wrong with the price of this guitar. After playing it I would have spent a great deal more to own it. Manufacturer Support: Hope I will never need support. The Wow Factor: extremely good looking.

"Professional Quality at a Sane Price" submitted February 4, 2012

By Matt M in Atlanta, GA
Overall
Musical Background: 45 years playing, mostly professional. I primarily play Various stratocasters, old Gibson Les Paul and Epiphone Dot.
Music Style: Blues, swing, boogie, roots.
Sound: I play mostly blues, swing and roots music and am, primarily a Strat player. I bought my first Dot to cover B.B., Freddie and early Clapton type tones. The Epi Dot delivers this in spades. After trying several new Gibson es-335, I just did not see the benefit of the Gibson. In fact, two of the Gibsons that I tried had sticky non-cured nitro necks that rendered them unplayable for me. The Epi sound is very close to the Gibson, slightly different but not inferior in my opinion. After making a few improvements - 50's wiring to avoid treble loss when turning down the volume, bone nut and, if you want, pickups that are a little clearer in the bass - I put in Gibson 57 Classics - these great guitars become even better and still represent a fantastic value. Feature: The features that make the Dot so nice are the same that make the Gibson 335 so nice - comfortable neck, thick, woody tone with plenty of sustain, controlled feedback at higher volumes due to the center block, relatively light weight and comfortable "thin line" design. Ease of Use: This guitar gave me the 335 vibe I was looking for right out of the box. tweaking with wiring and pickup replacement makes it even better. Like the Gibson 335, the Epi Dot has the same contol layout that offers great flexibility, especially in the middle toggle position to allow mixing of the two pickups. Quality: The Dot seems very well made. The newer ones have improved pickups and electronics (full size pots and metal toggle switches - not Switchcraft but not bad), so i expect the current stock models would be more reliable than the earlier ones. The actual construction seems top notch as well. Mine are both solid feeling instruments that I expect to outlive me. Value: The Epiphone Dot represents the best value to price ratio of any electric guitar I have encountered. Really surprised me. Manufacturer Support: Never had to deal with them - no problems The Wow Factor: The thing that really makes me say "Wow" is the fact that we live in a time where such inexpensive guitars can be so great to play, listen to and look at. You no longer need a small fortune to get a great guitar. Overall: A great guitar with excellent tone and playability. I liked the first one I bought so much that I recently bought another to use for slide. They are both Made in China limited edtion 1959 es-335 models that differ a bit from the standard in that they have a bound neck, Gibson shaped pickguard, nickle plated hardware and vintage "tulip" tuners. I have been playing guitar for 45 years, for the most part as a working pro. I have had and do have old Gibsons and Fenders from the 50's and 60's - the cream of the crop. these Epi Dots hang right in there with them, especially after a couple of relatively inexpensive improvements.

"Epiphone Dot Archtop Electric Guitar" submitted July 6, 2014

By Jeff J in Elk Grove, CA
Musical Background: Beginner.
Music Style: Blues
Overall: Purchased for my Husband, received order in one day. Husband is very happy with Guitar.

"Epiphone Dot Archtop Electric Guitar " submitted November 28, 2012

By David J in Sturgis, KY
Overall
Overall: I am well pleased with my Epiphone dot, Plays well, sounds great, looks great.

"This guitar puts the lie to the adage that "you have pay for what you get". I felt like a thief walking away with this beauty at" submitted January 25, 2008

By a customer from sympatico.ca
Overall
Music Style: classic rock and lues
Sound: I play in a retro sixties/seventies band and I have owned a Dot for 7 years. This guitar howls and puts out a sound reminiscent of sixties music. I find the bottom end a wee bit muddy and may put in Gibson Classic 57's to perk it up a bit, but it's more than acceptable for live gigs as it is. I owned a Gison Es-335 in the 70's and this guitar stacks up very well against it. Feature: The cherry finish is flawless and mine was a gold hardware "Special Edition" which really looks classy. The hardware is exceptional and the tuners are first rate. I can play for four hours with rarely a tuning adjustment necessary. I did replace the nut with a bone one because the plastic nut cracked when I put on a thcker gauge sting set, but this was only a minor thing. Ease of Use: I chose this model because of the excellent playability of the Gibson ES-335. This Epiphone version plays just as well. When properly set up, this guitar is a pleasure to play. The three positions availale enable me to coax almost any sound I want from this excellent guitar. Quality: Factory quality control was excellent because this guitar played perfectly, right out of the case. I have gigged with it extensively and, except for a bit of a muddy low end, this guitar has been my main instrument for several years now and I couldn't be more pleased with it. Value: For the price, this is an exceptional value. As other reviewers have noted, it blows many much more expensive guitars out of the ball park! Manufacturer Support: I had to replace the plastic nut and that would have been free had I not opted to replace it with bone. As it turned out, I only had to pay for the price differential on the part itself, not installation. I am very happy so far with their customer service and the waranty. The Wow Factor: This classic design just exudes class and good looks. The entire package - looks, style, fit and finish, technical quality, playability and sound quality make this guitar irresistable and hard for any serious guitarist to put down. Even if you're not on a limited budget, try this out and compare it to more expensive instruments and you'll be sold. Overall: I have owned this guitar, albeit a "special", more expensive edition, for over 7 years now and it remains my main instrument. As I said, I just might replace the pickups to get a clearer bottom end but, aside from that, I am extremely pleased with this beautiful guitar.

"Dot Dot Dot" submitted November 18, 2009

Eric from zZounds
Music Style: Blues/Rock
ZZOUNDS CREW REVIEW
Sound: It's a great semi-hollow, good for alot of different sounds. The Maple body really helps give it some presence. Really good for some classic rock or blues tones. Works for jazz in a pinch, and is the beloved guitar of Punk Rockers everywhere. Feature: It's a pretty basic, simple package, which is solid for a guitar at this price point. Ease of Use: Nothing complicated about this guitar. Quality: I've played a couple of these; they are pretty solid. Especially for the price. A good platform for upgrades for sure. Value: One of the best bang-for-buck guitars out there. Manufacturer Support: Never had to deal directly with Epiphone. The Wow Factor: A classic guitar icon.

"My Red Ribbon Dot" submitted June 28, 2007

Music Style: Punk Rock/ Pop Punk/ Metal/ Alternative
Sound: The sound was wonderul when i first bought it but i took out the bride pickup and replaced it with a Gibson Dirty Fingers. Now it screams with excellence. Truly i believe that this Gibson humbucker made it sound more like a Gibson. (I got it in the ebony finish and added a red ribbon stripe to it) Feature: Two volume, two tone, dual humbuckers, three way pickup selector. Me on the other hand...i took out all but the volume knob for the bridge where i threw in my Dirty Fingers and got rid of the pickup selector and the neck pickup. but when they were there...there was alot of versatility and many great tones you could get out of this baby. Ease of Use: Just plug in, find your tone and play. Its a simple guitar (especially mine now) and it feels like an extension to your soul almost...wonderful. Quality: There were some paint spots missing on the f-holes...the holes are also cut a little too big and there were some intonation difficulties when i first got it, and the paint on the headstock was chipped slightly, but overall very nicely crafted. Value: Definately worth every penny you spend on it whether you get it for a good deal like i did (got it for about 300 total) or full price... but not Gibson quality...and not Gibson sound unless you throw in a Gibson Pickup or two. Manufacturer Support: I say support is the best because i havent had to mess with them atall yet =) The Wow Factor: Semi-Hollows are just soo sexy. I have alot of respect for such a timeless and classical loking instrument such as this one. Im proud to own it honestly. Overall: I believe this baby (which now has a red ribbon stripe running down the middle of it, check out pics at www.myspace.com/maxwade) could possibly last forever. Just take care of it and dont abuse it.

"Great sounding and looking guitar!" submitted September 20, 2008

Overall
Sound: Paired with the proper effects and amplification, this guitar will sound incredible playing any genre of music from rock to blues Feature: As mentioned in another review, the guitar has a number of tone settings and pots that can really change the sound of the guitar to match any guitar player's needs. Ease of Use: For a guitar of this size, one would expect it to be quite heavy, but it's actually lighter than my Epiphone G-400. If you're a smaller guitar player, however, I would definitely recommend trying it before buying as it's not the lightest guitar out there. Quality: Excellent build quality and feel. Feels very solid even when really jamming on it. Value: In short, you won't get a better sounding, better feeling, and straight-up COOLER guitar at this price. Manufacturer Support: Haven't dealt with Epiphone support. That's why I gave it a 5 The Wow Factor: Its an Epiphone Semi-Hollow....who wouldn't want it?! (Especially in the cherry finish!) Overall: I don't think I'd trade this guitar for anything except the Gibson 335 or maybe a Gretsch...but for 1/10 the price, I'm more than happy with it and expect to have it forever.

"It is a fun Guitar." submitted December 19, 2008

By a customer from charter.net
Musical Background: Active, Hobbyist
Music Style: Blues, Classic Rock
Sound: I play though a Marshall JCM 800 and a JCM 900 1960A Speaker Cab, I feel the Dot gives me the tone I was looking and expected when I bought it, so no surprises. I can adjust between pickups and get that hard spike lead tone with the bridge pickup and with the neck I can smooth it to a nice Jazz or Blues Tone. To practice I have a Marshall MG 10 watt. The sound from that amp is not very good on the bright channel but with the overdrive channel it sounds not bad. The Dot is not a Gibson ES-335, but my bank account is not empty either. I am satisfied with the purchase. The set up out of the box was not very good. The strings were high. I adjusted the bridge lowered the action and put on Gibson Vintage 10's. The "G" String hung at the nut so I filed just a little and used so graphite lube in the groves and that cured the problem. The neck pickup was at a strange angle so I took it off and set it for what I feel was correct. I purchased the Dot with the case, both came packaged very good. The case quality is not bad. Feature: Came with a Cord and Truss Rod Wrench. I purchased the case which as I stated before if not bad. The Pots seem cheap, but they are quiet so can't complain. The switch I know will have to be replaced it I used it much as I am sure it will wear out. As I said before this is not a $2000.00 Guitar but compared to others in this price range the quality is better. Ease of Use: Very easy to modify the tones as you desire. Have to get used to the size, it is a monster! I like the neck size, seems to have been made for my hand. Very confortable to play standing or sitting. Quality: The only reason I went with a 9 is because of the electronics. Cheap. The finish is really nice quality. I searched and found no imperfections at all on the finish, the neck mount, binding or how all the parts fit together. The tuners are tight, I tuned it 2 weeks ago after I put new strings on it and it still is in tune. Value: For the price you can't beat it. For the same price you can get a Fender Strat or even a Gibson Melody Maker. But for the Quality and materials used, this is a bargain. Manufacturer Support: 10 is what Epiphone deserves. My first Guitar was a 1962 Epiphone Crestwood Custom, I paid $115.00 for it in 1964 from the original owner (brother-in-law. I played in bands thoughout the 60's and it was my main guitar. The Tremolo broke and Eipiphone replaced it for labor only after having the guitar for 8 years. Wish I still owned it!! That was an Epiphone that was made by Gibson, but I still expect if there is a problem they will take care of it. The Wow Factor: Love the looks of this guitar. Looks like the Gibson ES-335. Was hard to make up my mind between the Blond or Cherry. I went with the Cherry, nice looking guitar finish I am happy I did. Overall: I plan to use Dot just fun playing. I have a 08 Gibson Les Paul Standard (the last before the new 08's)an American Strat in Pewter and an inexpensive Fender Acoustic. This adds to my collection of guitars. If lost I would replace, maybe not right away but I would buy another. I may change the pickups later and the electronics just to increase the quality.

"Great instrument" submitted April 27, 2006

Music Style: SmoothJazz, Gospel, R&B
Sound: Excellent sound quality... lacking in low end punch however. Ease of Use: Great action! The tone is pure. Easy to get a sound you like no matter what style of music. Quality: The pods are a little cheap but function alright. Not a Gibson, but tons cheaper in cost. Value: If you can find a better sounding guitar in this price range buy it and tell the rest of the world. This is the best instrument dolar for dollar I've ever bought (Fender Strat, a vintage Fender Coronado , Ibanez, Takamine and Ovation are in my collection currently) Manufacturer Support: None needed so far. The Wow Factor: I have the natural...it actually looks much richer in person. Fine wood and finish. Overall: This a definite keeper which will probably be my mainstay even over my Amercian Strat

"The workingmans ES335" submitted December 30, 2011

Musical Background: Playing many years pro and semi pro
Music Style: blues, country, old R&B
Sound: Tone is very close to a 335 Quality: Great quality for the price!! Value: Great Value Manufacturer Support: N/A Overall: Yes I would replace it.

"Great guitar for older classic rock..and/or for anything...it has a great sound to it that you will love!" submitted December 9, 2004

Overall
Music Style: rock, metal, classic rock
Sound: this has a realy good sound to it and thats why i love it cuz i can get any sound out of it i want. its really good quality all gibson parts and everything and it is a beautiful guitar. Feature: the features on it are ok. it really doesnt have many but the switch gives off a couple of really different tones that i like.

"Good guitar at a good price." submitted January 26, 2011

Musical Background: Guitar enthusiast
Sound: Dual humbucking pickups provide a great sound and tone and volume are available for each pickup. Feature: About the only thing I did not like is the poor choice for the volume and tone knobs. The numbers on the knobs are hard to read since there is little contrast and the color (amber) does not go well with the cherry finish I ordered. So, I replaced the amber knobs with black ones and now it looks great and is easy to read. Also, I didn't like the large "E" on the pick guard but this is easily removed. Now my guitar looks like a Gibson ES335. Ease of Use: Very playable. When I got the guitar, the bridge needed adjusting since the strings were too far from the neck. This was easy to do - just adjust a couple of screws. Actually, every other guitar I've brought needed to have the same adjustment. Quality: Everything looks pretty solid and haven't had any problem except the poor volume and tone knob that I ended up replacing. Value: Very good guitar for the money. Looks like a Gibson ES335 for much less money. Manufacturer Support: I tried to contact support online and was transferred to a Gibson website. I called tech support to inquire about replacement knobs and a Gibson rep told me that they don't sell Epiphone compatible knobs (Epiphone uses metric and Gibson uses english). So, I had to shop on line for metric knobs. For those interested, I ended up buying PK-MBI-B knobs for about $10 for 4 knobs. Use a spoon to pry the old knobs off but put some paper underneath the spoon to protect the guitar. The guitar has a lifetime warranty backed by Gibson so I think I'm in pretty good hands. The Wow Factor: I think it is a great looking guitar that plays well. Overall: I hope and expect to be playing this guitar for years.

"Holy Cow This thing rocks" submitted January 25, 2014

By Jesse M in Portland, OR
Musical Background: I've been playing guitar for 22 years and many after that
Music Style: Whatever I feel like playing
Overall: I can't believe this guitar is so inexpensive, but feels great! Of course I got the red one and of course I did the number #1 mod and put some Gibson "57 Classics in this bad boy, and I'm not sorry. I'm not putting down the epi pups, but I was after something specific..... of course. This guitar went above my expectations, way way above them. God damn I declare this a #1 axe or at least best friend. If you are looking at this guitar just get it. Trust me you won't be sorry. Oh and it got here in two days. Can't beat that with a stick.

"Good guitar for very little money" submitted April 20, 2010

By a customer from excite.com
Musical Background: guitarist
Music Style: blues rock jazz
Sound: I own two sunburst Dot guitars and a Sheraton also. I set all three up with 011 flat wound strings. The two Dot guitars sound slightly different from each other and have different carved arch top configurations requiring different bridge angle setups. One Dot guitar had the neck truss rod adjusted too tight and I loosened it and the other Dot needed a slight tightening if I recall. All three guitars needed bridge and saddle setups-- I use a Boss chromatic tuner for the intonation. After set up I play Dot number one which has a less bright sound than Dot number two into a 60 watt fender Deville with two 12 inch speakers. Really fine sound, great for jazz blues and rock.

"Holy Cow This thing rocks" submitted February 18, 2014

By Jesse M in Portland, OR
Overall
Musical Background: Playing for a while. Guitar, Piano, Bass and drums. Active Musician
Music Style: Whatever I feel like
Overall: I was thoroughly impressed with this guitar. I wasn't expecting much due to a traumatic prior epiphone purchase from back in my teens. I swore I would never buy another Epi again. I have a buddy talk me into giving them one more chance and I have no regrets. Of course I changed out the pups for some gibson 57 classics. BTW Changing the pups are not as hard as most people say. Preparation and patience. Don't read that and think that the stock pups are bad and in fact they're not. The bridge pup was a hair too muddy for my taste. And of course I was going for a Gibson 335 blah blah blah. Who knows I might put the stock pups back on and let it be an Epiphone. Anyways if you're looking at this guitar and are in need of a semi hollow then go ahead and get this. You'll love it.

"A Love Affair I can get away with." submitted August 26, 2008

Overall
Musical Background: Home Grown self taught amateur for 46 years.
Music Style: Blues/Rock
Sound: Great sound.I seem to be reaching for this 335 over my Strat. Feature: All thats missing is a Bigsby tremelo. Ease of Use: I don't see how it could be any better. Quality: It is much better than I expected. Value: Exceptional value. Manufacturer Support: I've only owned it a short time but so far OK. The Wow Factor: Beautiful lines and curves. Overall: I don't think I would ever get rid of it unless one of my sons talked me out of it and,that would take some talking.

"A solid choice!" submitted January 4, 2004

By a customer from eastern.edu
Overall
Sound: For the money, the guitar is probably unbeatable all-around. It's a beautiful, solid, instrument that sounds as good as guitars costing several times as much. I just want to lower the action on the strings a bit. I've played about everything; I own six guitars (expensive), and this one is a match for them. Feature: The guitar's a bit too heavy! Manufacturer Support: Have owned old and new epiphones. All OK.

"Good guitar once you set it up." submitted February 24, 2010

By a customer from excite.com
Musical Background: guitarist
Music Style: blues rock jazz
Sound: Sounds fine with a set up and new strings. The factory strings are greasy with extra carbon and have a low iron content and are miserable strings. I replaced the factory strings with 011 flat wound D'addario jazz light. Feature: 2 pickups and volume and tone for each. Ease of Use: Change the strings and set the guitar up first. Quality: The finish is thick, my guitar has a split piece of wood as a center piece inside. Value: Good deal overall. The Wow Factor: I rather have this than an acoustic. Overall: Listen up folks these guitars will need to be set up. The action on the low end of the bridge is too high from the factory and needs to be lowered also the intonation is off. The low end saddles need to be pushed forward and the high end saddles need to be pulled back. The pickup height needs a fine adjustment also. The nut on my guitar broke when I was changing strings so I popped on a replacement I had laying around, no big deal. I would rather have the nut break in my living room than on stage. My new nut will not break.

"Don't buy a Dot" submitted January 18, 2012

By Veronica N in Redding, CA
Overall
Musical Background: Semi-Professional musician. Played guitar for 45 years.
Music Style: Jazz, classic rock, oldies rock
Overall: I will never buy another Epiphone product. This is the second Epiphone I have returned in two weeks. The fretboard on this wasn't finished at all on the first two frets, then the rest of the fretboard was very poorly finished. There was a finish defect on the guitar body. Very poorly made product. Don't waste your money.

When you call, mention priority code 1589-D4XF. Llame Gratis en Español: 800-460-7976