When you call, mention priority code 1ZY-QY30

Rating and Reviews: Electro-Voice RE20 Mic

Add an industry-standard cardioid dynamic mic to your studio with the classic Electro-Voice RE20 -- a favorite of broadcasters and sound engineers.

Overall

"Awesome mic, BUY IT! But invest in a preamp with A TON of gain, you'll need it!" submitted June 24, 2010

By a customer from prodigy.net
Musical Background: Active Musician / Podcaster
Music Style: Hip-Hop / Comedy
Sound: The sound of this mic is unbeatable for vocal applications, as proven by the radio industry's preference of it. For the price, dynamic mics don't get any better than this, also proven by the radio industry's preference of it, as radio stations are notoriously cheap. It has a textured, warm sound that makes my nasally drone actually tolerable. I do a weekly podcast, and this mic has been awesome for me. If you're planning on doing any spoken word recording, do yourself 2 favors: buy this mic, and spring for the package with the boom stand and shockmount, you'll thank me later. I would have given this mic a 10 on everything, if it wasn't for the fact that it requires a MASSIVE amount of gain to bring it to a good broadcast level. I was not warned about this, and had to find out the hard way. BE ADVISED: BUY A GOOD PREAMP (with AT LEAST +60db of gain), IF YOU'RE PLANNING ON USING THIS MIC TO DO ANYTHING QUIETER THAN SHOUTING INTO IT. Feature: The mic comes in a hard case that's padded inside, which is essential if you ever travel with your mic. Mine happens to be stationary, so I never use it, but it's comforting to know that it's there. I believe it also came with an xlr cable, but I bought it as part of the package, so I'm not sure if the cable was part of that. It also has a bass-rolloff switch on the back, which I haven't found particularly useful thus far. Ease of Use: Awesome. Plug & play, no explanation necessary. Quality: Very well made. It is made of sturdy steel, and thus weighs significantly more than any other dynamic mic I've ever held. It feels really solid in your hand (although, I suggest you spring for a stand, because it can get pretty heavy over a period of time). This is a top-quality, durable mic. Value: This mic, at the price it goes for, can't be beat. The best you could do would be a lateral move, and I challenge anyone to find another mic in the same price range that compares. Manufacturer Support: I have no idea how the support team over at Electrovoice is, as I haven't had the misfortune of having an issue with my mic, so I'm just gonna give them a 10, so as not to bring down the average of my score. I LOVE THIS MIC! Overall: Overall, this mic is the most bang you can get for your hard-earned buck. When it comes to dynamic mics, this one shines. BUY IT!

"RE20 Rocks On" submitted July 26, 2009

Musical Background: Recording engineer and musician
Music Style: Rock and fusion
Sound: I have been using the RE20 for more than 15 years, for broadcast and recording studio applications. The sound quality is always warm and smooth, and the flexibility of this mic is amazing -- from vocals, voice-overs, to guitar cabinets, bass drums, floor toms and much more. Feature: It is a simple mic with few features aside from the roll-off switch. Plug it in and you're in business. Ease of Use: With a little adjustment (as with any professional mic), you'll get great results from this mic in many different situations with minimal effort. Couple it with a good preamp and you're all set. Quality: The RE20 is built solid as a rock for years of dependable use. It feels that way when you hold it in your hand, too. Weighty and solid. Value: The RE20 represents a great value for the price in a pro mic. Manufacturer Support: I've never heard of anyone having a problem with an RE20 so I can't say anything negative about the company. EV is well known for quality products for many years. The Wow Factor: This is a large mic, looks and feels all business. It's not dainty or particularly sexy, but it doesn't need to be -- it does exactly what it is supposed to. Overall: I'll keep using this mic until I retire from music recording. That's a long way off.
14 of 15 people (93.33%) found this review helpful. Did you?

"It's an RE-20, it delivers as you would expect!" submitted January 10, 2011

By a customer from suite224.net
Musical Background: Hobbyist Voice Over/Voice Actor
Sound: I've had the RE20 for about a week and use it for talk, not singing. My first recording was less than impressive. It was adequate, sounding clear, but there was something missing. So after an EQ adjustment or two on the mixer, it now sounds excellent to my ears. Feature: Pretty much plug in and use. Ease of Use: Plug in, turn everything on and record. Quality: Built like a naval vessel. Ok, that is exaggerating, but you get the idea. Its solid and weighty, and feels like it means business. Value: I had mixed emotions on whether to purchase this microphone. I knew it was one of the standards in broadcast and has been so for many years, but would it do well in multiple applications? Some of the reviews say it isn't good for every application or you need to make some adjstments to get it to sound good. My adjustments were minimal and, huge plus here, I can produce great sound without a pop filter and I don't need to engineer out rogue background noise. In a dead room, it registers very low and picks up minimal background trash. My impression so far is extremely positive. It delivers and performs better than expected. Manufacturer Support: I'll comment on Zzounds support and help. I bought the combination microphone/boom combination. Arrived really fast, but the boom had a missing part. Very easy to work with on the exchange. The Wow Factor: A "10" for making it rock-solid and for being an industry standard for a long time. Overall: I can see that I won't regret the purchase at all. I'm more stoked about using this microphone than for any of the good condensers that I have used. It will suit my needs perfectly. If you have a need for multiple microphones in your arsenal, the RE20 needs to be one of the "must-haves".

"OMAR COLLAZO "LANUEVA ALFA 1700 AM"" submitted November 12, 2013

By OMAR COLLAZO in FRAMINGHAM, MA
Overall
Overall: The ElectroVoice RE20 Dynamic Microphone is a exelent product i recomende. i have a local radio station and the cuality of re20 is't great.. thanks zzound for your services.. i like this product ..

"ElectroVoice RE20 Dynamic Microphone " submitted November 27, 2013

By REGINALD L in ELKTON, MD
Musical Background: RADIO IMAGING
Music Style: R & B, Gospel, AC, Pop, 80's Hits.
Overall: This is an ideal microphone for any voiceover producer in broadcasting. It meets and surpass my standards and delivers over and beyond its' reputation. Excellent quality, superb playback sound quailty without all of the hi "P's" or "T's". This microphone is worth the price and delivers.

"I find it disturbing that there are some people who've never used one..." submitted November 7, 2006

Overall
Sound: When paired with a decent preamp, one of the greatest vocal mics ever designed. The detail of a condenser (without the irritating "edge" on most "budget-friendly" condensers) with the inherent advantages of a dynamic. Much more flattering to the human voice than most condensers, and much more flexible. Excellent on guitar and bass cabs, brass, drums also. Not a "go-to" mic for strings and very soft, breathy vocals. Known in many circles as the quintessential broadcast mic for good reason - But definitely not limited to broadcast applications by a long shot. Feature: A roll-off switch. Do you need more? No. Bummer that the shock mount isn't included, but to reach the price point, understandable. Ease of Use: (1) Plug in. (2) Make noise. (3) Smile. Quality: Simplistic and elegant design, built like a rock. Could probably be used to hammer nails between sessions. Value: To get a mic of this quality and flexibility for the "street" price they're asking is almost obscene. Manufacturer Support: N/A - Never had one fail. That being said, I'm a user, not an owner. But with the amount of obviously well-used RE (and PL) 20's that I use and see at other facilities regularly, it doesn't seem to be prone to breaking down. The Wow Factor: The new "trend" towards "condenser microphones" being synonymous with "vocal recording" completely overlooks some of the best vocal microphones made such as the RE20 and Shure's SM7. It's sad, as a lot of people will, by choice, never experience the RE20 because it's not a condenser mic. Those who are closed-minded enough to think that way deserve the scratchy and "overly-strident" vocal tracks they're going to cut anyway. The RE20 should be part of every single mic collection. It's one of few microphones that I've ever said that about. It has it all - Amazing sound, excellent performance, unbelievable flexibility, even up to and including the "wow" factor from the client. Even the design screams "Authority" - It looks pro, it sounds pro, because it is without a doubt, manufactured with professional use in mind. Overall: If you're in the huge collection of novice engineers, or just suffering from CCCS (Cheesy Chinese Condenser Syndrome), do yourself a favor and audition the RE20. It may turn into your "go to" vocal mic (among many other things).
81 of 85 people (95.29%) found this review helpful. Did you?

When you call, mention priority code 1ZY-QY30. Llame Gratis en Español: 800-460-7976