When you call, mention priority code 20F-6GGZ

Rating and Reviews: Egnater Vengeance Head

Cover the full gamut of modern rock tones with the Egnater Vengeance. This all-tube amp head packs a huge range of features and controls to craft your sound.

"Great Amp" submitted September 13, 2012

By Tim R in Wichita, KS
Overall
Musical Background: I've been a musician for 10 years, I play any instrument you put in front of me, I have played in a few touring bands
Music Style: Alternative rock, Metal, Hardcore, Rock, Progressive Rock, Unplugged acoustic, American rock,
Overall: I purchased this amp on a whim about a month ago. I never played this amp and I couldn't find a local store that had one in stock. I did do my research all the way to the manufactures background. Including, where he went to school, why he got into the amp business, and what made this product something people sought out, along with some very extensive YouTube videos and product reviews all over the country. I was stuck between a Peavey 6505+ and this Egnater Vengeance 120w Head. I have played a 6505 many times and I am impressed with sound, but everyone and their dog had one. I wanted something different. I took a chance with the Eganter head. And because zZounds.com offers a 30 day guarantee on all their products I wasn't too worried about being stuck with something I hated. After receiving the amp I went threw all the owners manuals and was very happy with how easy the manufacture explained information about their products, not to mention the humor that came with the manuals, yeah humor, (you'll understand when you get one). I couldn't believe how easy it was to set up. In the owners manual it gives many presets to get you up and running, and from there I dialed in my tone to what I think is one of the best sounding amps in the market, for its price. The clean channel is the cleanest most full clean channel I have ever heard. The gain channel is tight and in your face, it is deep and the mids boost pulls out my high end so it sounds like I play in a band with 3 guitarist. The second volume option gives me four different distinct channels I can run with. The reverb has a spill over effect which allows the reverb to faded out after turning the switch off or switching channels, which is just another awesome feature that you can only get with a Egnater head. There are some many options with both channels. A tight, bright, gain, and mids + and - switch has a great effect on dialing in that special tone. The pedal it came with is built like a brick. It has the option to boost the mids on both channels and select reverb on either or both channels along with a secondary volume boost for either or both channels. The loop station is still something I am getting use to. But already I realize that if I was a tech genius and I had the money for great effects, I would be able to some many things with just the loop station. All in all if you are on the edge of buying this amp and you want something different the competes or rivals anything in its price range. I highly recommend purchasing an Egnator product. I was very happy I did and I am positive you will be more the amazed with your purchase.

"Everything I need!" submitted October 1, 2012

By kurt h in portsmouth, NH
Overall
Musical Background: 20 years. I play an Ibanez Prestige SV 5470 with Crunchlab/Liquifire. With studio musician friends
Music Style: Hard rock/ 80's metal/ballsy blues
Sound: I can dial in all the tones that I want. Feature: The 2nd master is sweet for a solo boost. The tight/bright/mid/gain switches all help for tone tweaks as well, though the switches themselves may be a bit to small. Ease of Use: Plug and play. It took me about 20 minutes to get a great tone, and I fiddle with it everyday always finding awesome new tones. fun fun fun Quality: This unit is quite beefy and solid, and has a look and feel of high quality Value: 1100 dollars is a good chunk of change, and I would spend it again. I researched this amp and the Laney IRT. Both great amps but I thought this one a little more versatile and a much nicer clean Manufacturer Support: I have heard lots of positive stuff but I haven't had to make any calls The Wow Factor: It appeals to me when I turn it on. Listen if you want lots of shiny lights in the background this isn't the amp for you. But if you want to play with an outstanding refined tone then this is an excellent choice. Overall: This is a great head, 60/120 watts, great reverb, beautiful cleans, and the 2nd master is a really nice bonus. I just love the tones that you can tweak out of this thing. I have never played through a better sounding amplification unit. I have it connected to a Jet City 212 with Eminence and I'm usually playing one of my Ibanez', most likely my prestige SV5470 with crunchlab/liquifire setup. It sounds killer. Can't sat enough about my love for this amp. It's everything I want and need, period.

"Best choice for all" submitted July 27, 2014

Musical Background: Playing for over 20 yrs
Music Style: Rock, Stoner, Psychedelic,
Overall: Well, I spent the last few months going through all my options, listening to reviews, and talking with every music store I could find the number to while searching for the perfect amp for me. I have an Orange OR15 and I love it but it does one thing really really well and that's all it does well. I was looking for an amp that would have a pristine clean sound, take all pedals well, give me the low and mid boost that I wanted, and had a killer overdrive channel that also took pedals well and had that loose feel that I like so much. I have found that amp. Seems like Egnater was thinking with this amp. First the clean channel. If you like a Fendery pristine sound its in there, if you like a mid bumped Brit clean its in there, it can thin out your humbuckers or thicken up your single coils. And if you like those thinner 70's sounding overdrives but sometimes like them to pop out for solos, then it has a mid boost built right into the foot switch. Its like having a TS built right in but without the low end loss. And don't forget about the gain boost that will give you a nice crunch if you want it. As for the drive channel, it can go from a light drive to classic rock, to hard rock, to a searing roar. The switches let you get some tight distortion (not super tight for speed metal) or deep and loose stoner rock sounds. Again the mids switch can give you a nice American scooped sound or a Brit mid bumped sound. I could not get a bad sound out of it. All that plus its super quiet, and I have some bad electric in the house so other amps I've had are all nloisy. So glad i picked this up this great amp. Good job Egnater! Just to add, I never thought I would own a professional amp like this but zZounds makes it so easy with their payment plans. Thank you so much for caring about musicians and their situations.

"Not your dad's amp" submitted November 20, 2014

By Brian P
Musical Background: 30 yrs of rocking
Music Style: Early metal to modern metal
Overall: This is the first amp that I have ever given all 5 stars and I have owned a lot of amps in my 40 years. As a die hard metal player I was looking for something different that would hold its own against a marshall, and this amp does and more. Beautiful clean channel and the overdrive channel is like death in a box. Overall I'm very pleased.

"Egnater vengeance incredible tone killer amp!! AnthonyFrank Studio Musician, Danny Gans, Cher, Ten96" submitted October 25, 2011

Musical Background: Recording artist
Music Style: Rock jazz fusion metal
Sound: Great tone killer high gain. Its a monster! Have it going into a egnater 4 x12 tour cab with vintage 30's and t 100s. Alot of tight bass end. Cleans are incredible! I have never been more pleased with my sound then now. I can play anything, i choose Egnater. Feature: Footswitch very friendly and midi capable..Great with my outboard gear. Ease of Use: Simple straight forward. Plug and play. Quality: I do live shows every weekend. I dont see any problems in the future. Built like a tank as all egnater products are. Manufacturer Support: Called for basic info. Very feiendly and helpful. The Wow Factor: Black to the point. Sexy Overall: Very versatile amp. You can get any sound thats in your head and fast. If it was stolen or lost, you bet your ass i would be getting another.
13 of 14 people (92.86%) found this review helpful. Did you?

"Egnater Vengeance 120 watt Head" submitted December 9, 2014

By Brian Potter in morristown, TN
Musical Background: 20 plus years playing guitar
Music Style: classic rock to modern metal
Overall: I put off buying this head for some time because I wanted to be sure this was the amp for me, I wish I hadnt waited this thing is a beast. I,m just now getting it broken into well and it is just amazing. one of the best clean channels I have ever played through, and I own a lot of amps, and yes I would put it right up there with Fender. The drive channel is just brutal, you can get from black metal to black sabbath. The build on the amp itself is top notch from the tubes(Ruby,tung-sol,ELH) to the knobs nothing in it is cheap. I could best describe it as a marshall on steroids. I believe this amp, will last a long time if taking care of! I gig about 4-6 times a month and although this thing is kind of heavy I don't mind because I don't have to carry a bunch of effects to get my sound this head just does it all.

"My main rig!" submitted May 4, 2012

By Anthony Lefty in Staten Island, NY
Overall
Musical Background: playing since 1992, guitarist. In two bands, Ripface Invasion and The Great Caper, both from NJ
Music Style: Hardcore / punk / post hardcore / metalcore / thrash
Overall: I have played 5150 and Mesa Boogie exclusively. When both amps died, I wanted something new. A guitar player friend of mine had an Egnater and I decided to go with the Vengeance. Although not as aggressive as the 5150, this amp rocks. The cleans are amazing, and the bite of the lead channel is hot to trot. The 2nd master switch is a must if playing metal with 2 guitar players. I play in a post hardcore as well as a Thrash / hardcore punk crossover band. Takes a while to dial in your sound, just like all expensive / high end amp heads. Great value.

"A terrific Amp" submitted April 19, 2012

By John B in Payette, ID
Overall
Musical Background: 13 years over several different instruments, 5 as a guitarist, 4 as a bassist and 4 as a drummer.
Music Style: Metal, classical and neo classical, folk
Sound: With my other amps, I have ran a EQ pedal to give it a bit of bolder sound I have had the amp now for a month now and haven't felt the need to do it at all. I feel more comfortable with the way it sounds with nothing between my guitar and the amp and the amp and the loop empty, this of course may change with some experimenting. But for the sake of the review, I didnt do it. With the ESP (85/81) the cleans sound very clear and it definitely had that EMG sound, most guitars with EMG's in them you can tell right a way, and the amp on the clean side of things really sound crystal like with out being brittle at all. The Gibson sound the best through it, the amp has a well rounded clean tone that is amazing in a high gain amp, and it makes the most of your guitar's sound. The problem I have with the clean, is that sometimes I want my low E to boom out a bit more over the other notes, the amp is so even in its tone no matter what settings you EQ with, it everything blends well, however this can be a very good thing or a bad thing depending on the song. Unfortunately the channel 2 is the same way in this matter, however I dont find it to be a major fault and it can be worked with if not a little more than I would have liked to. Channel one (clean channel ) can get pretty hairy pretty quickly with the gain knob to the point of some good 70's crunch but not quite enough for a metal crunch, I tend to use the EMG's on crunch channels rather than lead channels for rhythm stuff, because of them being high output pup, it feels tighter and thats what fits my playing style. However with that said the ESP did very well in channel 2, though if recording, I would dial the gain back a little bit just to maintain a tighter sound. The Gibson was where it really came together I am becoming more and more of a believer in low out put pickups in high gain amps, and with the tight sound of a Gibson and the tightness of this amps bottom end and the over all clarity is outstanding. Evem with my custom explorer with the bolt on neck sounded tight which is kinda hard to do with a bolt on. The amp has plenty of different sounds in it. Its worth noting that it comes with 6L6 tubes, however even so you can get a more british sound out of the amp if you play around with the many options that it has. However, this is where I do have very small issue, the amp itself is what I like so luckly I didnt have to play around to much to find what I liked for my tone. However, the EQ on both channels are a bit to subtle for me, I would have like them to be a bit more responsive. Most of the other amps I have played you could slightly turn the knobs and you would get quite a noticeable difference, this amp is much more subtle, however they tend to work so much with the presence and density knobs that they are in my opinion a little to reliant on them. The density knob seems to mud up the sound a little to quick, the presence is perfect, but the density I tend to have to fight a bit, and I dont scoop my sound like one might think. I usually keep the density around 9 o clock and the bass of the EQ around 2 - 3 o clock, I keep the mids around 9-10 o clock and use the mid + option on the amp and have the treble in the same position as the bass and the presence as well with the gain around 2-3 ... it comes out very chunky and even to me, also I keep the tight and bright engaged. However, even though they might not be the most responsive EQ, this I think can also be a good thing in that one frequency doesn't completely dominate the other to the point where it deludes the tone to much. I know confusing right? What it does though is complement the way you play much better than any other amp I have every played. It comes across very full and no gaps in the over all scheme of the sound. Like some amps, you tend to use a eq pedal or something in a rack to push the mids or w/e frequency you feel missing. I have had to do this with every amp, with this amp I dont have to, I would just want to in order to shape my sound just a tad more. I play in several different tunnings, mostly E and E flat when doing my own thing, however I do tune down sometimes and the clarity remained the same after tweeking the EQ a bit. This is not the loudest amp I played, nor is it by far a quiet amp, remember 120 watts dosnt necessarily mean the how loud it will go, as much as it is the head room. You can switch to use the 60 watt mode to play somewhat bedroom level volume, however it does feel a little choked, the amp has to be cranked a bit more to really come into its own. Its not as loud as the 5150, however it is more defined and much more even and in my opinion as a little more guts to it... The amp can be a bit noisy, even with quiet pickups but it can be controlled a bit and I do recommend a gate, but this not unusual thing, in fact its a quite a bit quieter than a lot of other amps. The only major downfall is the reverb, it can be usable but its a bit to wet at times, the most i would ever got would be around 12-1 o clock on it, after that it loses a lot in my opinion. But like I said, still useable. One other small complaint I have, is that the loop switch has to be on to get a good live gig playing volume, and it relies to much on the loop switch being on for its volume boost, I didnt care for that much at all, and it may become a issue when I want to run some things through the loop at only certain parts. I haven't got to test this yet. It does remind me quite a bit of a ENGL sound with a little bit of Mesa maybe, but its entirely in its own world and its unique, I am very happy with that. Feature: As I mentioned above the EQ knobs arent as responsive in a immediate way and this can be a good or bad thing depending on how you look at it, over I find it be not a problem. The tight, bright and gain switches, along with responsive density and presence controls really open up the amps tonal possibilities. Its got everything on the back you could ask for, it would have been nice to be able to have a slave feature if you ever wanted to blend amps, but thats not a necessary thing at all. Its got the basics you need, which are already in the description of the amp. The foot switch is very nice, I might have changed the layout a bit however thats more of a personal thing and I will have to learn it better, I do like that you can switch the reverb on and off and boost the mids from the pedal and having a 2nd master is INVALUABLE, its one my favorite things about the amp that isnt really tone related. For a two channel amp if gives you plent of options with having the option paralyses of say a Mesa Mark series or something of that nature. I was contemplating waiting for the Armegeddon to come out, with its extra channel and built in noise gate, however with the price difference being what it is, I think the Vengeance is a more solid buy, especially if you already have a noise gate and only play on 1 or 2 channels. Its not saying its better, I have only got to play with a Armageddon briefly, but I am very happy that chose the Vengeance and your tighter on cash, this amp is just the same with a few less features that are more luxury then anything else IF you already have the pedals ( noise gate, eq ). One small pieve I had, is that the switches for the tight,bright and gain were a little on the small side for me, but at least made of metal! It does come with a fan to keep the air flowing which I thought was a very cool touch, and you dont hear it all when your playing and the few recordings I did, I didnt hear it either, it makes a little noise when you first fire it up but it calms down real quick. Ease of Use: It was pretty quick to set up and get going out of the box. All the other issues related to the sound I already wrote about, being the response of the EQ knobs and loop having far to much volume boost as opposed to the amp volume with out it. However, this could be to make the sound tigher for whatever reason as far as signal paths go, I do not know I dont have the knowledge to know for certain. The switches really give you a definite change of tone with or them engaged or not and that can really help narrow down your sound a bit more. Its pretty straight forward and easy to use, but yet just enough there to keep people who like the experiment, like me, happy. Quality: Built like a tank, everything feels solid, and unlike many amps, it feels like it could take a beating, though I am really careful and baby things a bit sometimes, I wouldnt worry about taking it out on the road at all. Value: Excellent, I cannot recommend a amp within a 400 dollar give or take range, better than this one. I would take it over any of my other amps and ones of band members I have had played with as well. If you want a 6L6 American style amp, I would take this in a heartbeat. You can also tube it with EL tubes for a more true British sound, however it becomes a different thing then. Manufacturer Support: Havent had to deal with them, however that is a good thing. My one issue is that the amp didnt come with a manual, that I would have liked, you can download from them directly on their website but if they can send me a catalog with it, they could have at least sent me a manual too... The Wow Factor: Its different, its not a peavey, its not a marshall, its not a mesa, its something on its own its unique and with its price the way it is, its the one of the best out there, especially for someone who dosnt want to follow the herd. Plus its awesomely black... ha! Overall: I had been looking for something different and not as well known or maybe your typical amp brand, in the world of Metal you basically have the big 3 ( arguably more ) popular amps, the Mesa's , the Marshalls, and of course the 5150/6505 series of amps, of you got your Engls and Randalls and what not, but even still I wanted something different, and since I got this, I am very pleased. I did have a budget, I didnt want to pay to much I feel some amps are over priced by far, I find it funny that some amps are more expensive then musicians cars... well a lot of time anyways. So the price of the amp is more than worth it, I could easily see it selling for a 400-500 more, however I would feel less satisfied as I do, however that is not a knock against sound or quality, just they're are amps out there that are more expensive and in my opinion dont come close. I havent owned to many amps in my time, I have had a 5150ii, a hughes and kettner switchblade and a Bugera 333. I play a Gibson Explorer 77 with stock pickups, a ESP LTD Viper 300 with EMG 85/81, and a custom made Explorer with Seymour Duncan 59 and JB match set ( alder body and mahogany bolt on neck ) I tend to play diferent styles of metal, and some folky stuff and I do use the clean channel a lot, ( Metallica, Iced Earth, Immortal, Amon Amarth and the mighty Dethklok lol )
12 of 14 people (85.71%) found this review helpful. Did you?

"Great, versatile head." submitted September 1, 2015

By Michael A in Potlatch, ID
Overall
Musical Background: 30 years, play mostly at home these days.
Music Style: Metal, rock, blues
Overall: I'm running a BBE Sonic Maximizer in the loop and a Dime Crybaby/TC Electronic Dark Matter dist in the front end, THD Hotplate and Egnater Tourmaster 2x12 cabinets. Sounds great. Lots of switching/sound options with the footswitch. Overall seems well built, good solid switches and knobs. Simple and straight forward to use.

"Diggin' this amplifier!" submitted November 23, 2014

By Brandon B in Syracuse, NY
Musical Background: 15 years playing rhythm guitar in cover bands
Music Style: 80s hair metal, modern rock
Overall: After spending the last few years running through a B52 AT-100, and finally growing sick of heat management issues, I decided it was time to try something new. Used to a high gain amp, the Vengeance suits me just fine. The cleans really help this amp shine - splitting the 57 Classic in the neck of my Les Paul, dialing in a jangly printing tone the rivals Fender clean is simple. The dirty channel sounds great with the 500T, enabling everything from Def Leppard to Breaking Benjamin without a hitch - and the second volume control makes a sweet lead boost without tweaking knobs. Whack the footswitch and go. The price was right, and the features make this amp great bang for the buck.

"Egnater Vengeance" submitted June 21, 2012

By Jeff T in Columbus, OH
Overall
Musical Background: Been playing for over 20 years. Play guitar and have been in a lot of local bands through the years
Music Style: Rock, hard rock/metal, folk, indie, Latin
Overall: Solid head. Lots of power in the overdrive section. However, I am a little disappointed with the clean channel. Doesn't seem to have much power and the tone is more geared towards the bass. Not much mids nor highs to brighten it up and I had the treble all the way up. I seemed a little muddy to me, but I did fix the sound with my eq pedal. The overdrive section sounds great; great tone, great warm sound. I love the xlr cable as well which means, if I ever lose it, i won't have to worry about going to the store to get a midi or an ethernet type cable (like the line 6's). Love the mid boosts as well; they add a totally different sound and the lead channel cranks! Over all, this amp is very versatile for a two channel. I have the Egnater Tourmaster 4212 and absolutely love that amp, but it just weighed a ton so I got this Vengeance head. Also, the Tourmaster high gain channel is very good, but the sound of the Vengeance is better for what I play. The effects loop on the Vengeance (as with the Tourmaster), is top notch, I think. I haven't gotten to use the emulated record out, but I will soon. I was going to trade my Vengeance in at Guitar Center and went around listening to other heads( minus a few ie. Marshall, Armageddon, Bogner) this Vengeance sounds a lot better.

"Best Amp I've Ever Bought." submitted May 4, 2012

By Kristian Scaglione in Shreveport, LA
Overall
Musical Background: I've been playing guitar for about 5 years. Currently in a professional band.
Music Style: Technical Progressive Djent Metal.
Sound: Absolutely PERFECT for the Djent style of playing. Me and a friend compared it to his mesa triple rec and the mesa didn't stand a chance. Also it has the most beautiful cleans I have ever heard come out of an amp. I had my doubts about this amp because I hadn't heard one until I bought it, but I set it up and I now this is my ONLY amp of choice. Good job Egnater. Feature: The most useful feature in my opinion is the option to switch back and forth from 60 watts to 120 watts. I can switch it to 60 watts and play my half stack in my house and not melt the paint off the walls but then switch it to 120 watts at a live performance and let the whole neighborhood hear me. Plus the foot switch is really useful and has a sleek look as well. The whole amp itself is very sexy. Ease of Use: Its pretty simple to use, even hooking it up is idiot proof because they practically put instructions on how to hook it up to a cab right there on the back of the amp haha. I haven't played around with the foot switch too much though because I only use it to switch between the clean and distortion channels. Quality: Built like a tank. Very well put together and its super solid. I guess this amp will run without any problems for years. Even the Egnater symbol on front of the amp is made of metal. This thing is indestructible. Value: This is definitely worth the money. Kicks any higher priced amp right in the balls. Manufacturer Support: Don't need it. The Wow Factor: As soon as I took it out of the box I was in love. Like person said before me, Its different, its not a peavey, its not a marshall, its not a mesa, its something on its own. It's unique and with its price the way it is, its the best out there, especially for someone who dosnt want to be like everyone else, which is the main reason I got it. It's super sleek and just looks like it would decimate all. Overall: This Amp is sick. I run it through an Orange 4x12 with Vintage 30's and I run an Ibanez TS-808 tube screamer, 2 ISP decimators, and a Keely compressor in front of it and it simply sounds ridiculous.

When you call, mention priority code 20F-6GGZ. Llame Gratis en Español: 800-460-7976