When you call, mention priority code 158C-F7SS

Rating and Reviews: Dean EAB Acoustic Bass

The Dean EAB is an affordable to get acoustic bass tones. With onboard electronics, the Dean EAB is also stage-ready.

Dean EAB Acoustic Bass Customer Review submitted February 22, 2011

Musical Background: 30 years not professional
Music Style: rock country jazz reggae
Sound: Out of the box, the strings on it were way too trebly for this style of instrument. Once I changed them for flatwound strings, the tone was more fitting for an acoustic instrument. THis, plus keeping the action kind of high (via truss rod adjustment) eliminated the fret buzzing that others have reported. It does make it harder to play fast, but most for most players that's not what the acoustic bass is for anyway. After the strings and tweaking, it delivered exactly th ekind of upright-like sound I was after. Feature: This thing feels real solid, and the top is a nice quality spruce. It's unfinished, though, so I don't know how it's going to look after awhile. But I'm not even putting linseed oil on it, because I like the sound the way it is. The pickups are passive, which is fine, but the tone and volume slider pots are a bit rickety. Ease of Use: Players trained in the soft touch required for the better quality electric basses will have an adjustment period changing to a higher action acoustic, similar to the difference electric guitar players face when they go acoustic. The strings are higher and have to be pushed harder. Finger placement needs to be precise. I am thinking I will try the fretless version. This instrument is suitable for beginners, and intermediates like me can have a lot of fun with it. But I don't see it being used in a professoinal setting. It is a little rough. Quality: For the money you will never beat this quality. It feels solid and dependable, stays in tune, and sounds great. It needs to have a strap pin on the body, and some better pots would help, but even with those reservations this gets a 10 because it is equal or better in quality to instruments costing double or triple. Value: Superior value to any other acoustic bass. If you want to play acoustic professionally, you will need one that costs in four digits. The ones in the 400-800 range are not much, if any, better than this one. Manufacturer Support: no experience with support. that's a good thing. The Wow Factor: I love this bass. It's always ready to pick up and play, sounds great unplugged, good enough for jams or casual gigs amplified. Overall: I think I will get another one in fretless.

"A best value. Minor issues, but a solid instrument with good volume." submitted March 4, 2005

Musical Background: active amateur musician; 20 years+ bass playing experience
Music Style: rock/garage/punk/pop
Sound: The instrument is well set-up at the factory. None the less, there is still considerable fret buzz and rattle. This seems to be par for the course with acoustic fretted bass guitars. Dean does not make a fretless version of this model, but they should. The volume is ample for unplugged rocking with acoustic guitars. The sound quality is sufficient, though the sustain and volume on the fatter strings is greater than on the thinner ones, meaning a change in volume depending on where you are on the scale. Feature: Electronics that are non-active, but simple to use. A volume and a sliding tone adjuster. I prefer simplicity and not having to deal with batteries. With a good amp, no pre-amp is necessary with this instrument. This way it has a more natural sound, I think. The tone knob is very sensitive and if it is set much above zero, the fret buzzing and rattle is unacceptably amplified, so I play it with the tone all the way down for a warmer sound. Apparently, no one has thought to make a case for this beefy instrument. Plastic bridge is not adjustable, but factory setup is decent. Quality: For a budget instrument, this bass was surprisingly solid and well built; much more so than the flimsy construction of several pricier models I have tried (much better than the Kelley Dragonfly). You don't feel timid about raging on it. It is relatively unfinished, similar to the Jasmine by Takamine acoustic guitar. But the wood grain is beautifully unblemished and superb. Plastic bridge shows wear, a higher quality material would be good, but for the price it is acceptable. Value: For the price, definitely a best value. Someday they will make an acoustic bass guitar without fret issues. Until then, this is a vary good approximation. Manufacturer Support: I ordered another bass from Dean that has been backordered forever, with no explanation. But this instrument shipped quickly and with no issues. They need to manufacture a case for this instrument, which they currently do not seem to offer. The Wow Factor: Practical for the all acoustic living room jams as well as the plugged in semi-acoustic rocking. Plenty loud. I just wish they made a fretless in this model. Overall: Slight design flaw of not including a strap nut on the back, so you have to tie on your strap to the headstock. They don't appear to make a case for this bass yet, so you should keep the shipping box or build your own case for transport, if you care about the wood finish. Otherwise, a beautiful solid instrument for most acoustic and some electric applications. Simple and straightforward for lock and load acoustic rocking.
51 of 52 people (98.08%) found this review helpful. Did you?

"Beautiful and sexy sound on the acoustic side only...." submitted July 27, 2011

Musical Background: Hobbyist, musician
Music Style: Alternative, rock, reggae, punk
Sound: The sound was great just the only buzzing noise you get sometimes acoustically. However on the electric side I was getting a deep buzzing noise and the sound wasn't as full as it was supposed to be. Feature: The features were ok. It had a tone and volume change for the electric portion but again I was not impress with the electric ability. Ease of Use: Very easy to use and play right out of the box Quality: Acoustically it was great just the electric portion is questionable. Value: GREAT PRICE FOR IT! Manufacturer Support: I think they were clear on the terms and conditions The Wow Factor: I only wanted for the price. This can be the perfect practice bass guitar but not good for recording.

"Amazing Bass" submitted January 1, 2013

By Nathaneil Peet
Overall
Musical Background: Jammed with a band one time, played music at a birthday party, and professional at home XD.
Music Style: Rock, Heavy Metal, Funk Metal, Christian Metal/Rock, Glam Rock/Metal, and of Course Instrumental Rock/Metal.
Sound: The Sound is absolutely amazing! The Bass gives off a great warm tone, and an amazing sound when used with effects. Feature: I love the fact that they placed the control box on the top of the bass. Ease of Use: Pretty Easy to use, just plug in and turn on your amp. Oh and move the knobs around Lol. Quality: The Bass itself is made well, I would recommend that the musician should change the strings, and keep a tuner handy, my Dean EAB had some tuning difficulties, but hey it is either way a great guitar. Value: This bass is well worth what it is payed for, and possibly even more. It is a good quality bass for any level guitarist. Manufacturer Support: Never needed support. The Wow Factor: the wow factor? It is an Acoustic BASS THAT SOUNDS GREAT! Overall: I would deffinately recommend this bass for anybody with a tight budget, as well as anybody that is beginning with the bass guitar, it gets those fingers use to stretching far along the neck!

"Was good enough to steal...sigh" submitted September 2, 2007

Musical Background: H.S orchestra and choir, church, local band
Music Style: Hymns, Praise and Worship, Contemporary
Sound: This is the only acoustic bass guitar I have owned or played outside of a music store. My rating is based on limited experience, but it has been what I needed and nice to not have to amplify in some situations. Feature: For the price is has acceptable features. As with another commenter I have the tone control all the way down to reduce the fret and string noise. I de-fretted my bass but would prefer fretless from the company. A step up in electronics would be nice. Ease of Use: It did what I needed it too with no difficulty. Quality: For a "beginner" instrument it is worth the price. Would prefer, as others, something besides the headstock to attach a strap. Value: Worth the price if you are looking for an inexpensive "hey, I aint no pro" bass player. Manufacturer Support: no contact was needed The Wow Factor: I like a bass guitar that has no cutaway. Get a regular guitar if you want to play that high. Big, like it. Overall: Mine was stolen one week ago from my Jeep with the locked door but rolled down window. I am buying another.
38 of 41 people (92.68%) found this review helpful. Did you?

"Beautiful and Sounds Good" submitted October 1, 2012

By Zane M in Denver, CO
Overall
Musical Background: Parent. I practice all the time on my acoustic guitar, and a Schecter 7-string electric guitar.
Music Style: Rock. Christian. Hip-hop. Blues. Funk. Anything but country.
Overall: We looked for awhile, both used and new, and found this acoustic four string, for my son's first lessons. It arrived in decent packaging, and in a timely fashion. It is beautiful, and sounds good. Satisfied with this purchase, and am impressed with zZounds.com. We also purchased the suggested gig bag to go with, and it is well-padded, and fits the instrument well.

"If you are a bass player, you should own an acoustic." submitted June 24, 2005

Overall
Sound: Sounds good but a bit of fret buzz that is not as apparent if you play a little softer. Other than that, the sound quality is excellent. It is great to play with an acoustic guitar - you just want to pick it up and play all the time Quality: great quality for the money. Value: No question - great value - there's no excuse not to own an acoustic

"Very good bass guitar for the price." submitted March 23, 2006

By a customer from juno.com
Overall
Music Style: Whatever is in the air.
Sound: This is the best acoustic bass I have ever played for the price. I've played the Taylor, which is of course superior. When comparing quality versus budget the Dean is my choice. Not being a professional, I enjoy playing music and the Dean bass not only fit my budget, it exceeded my expectations. Quality: It is made well and looks good. Value: Well worth the price. Overall: This product help me meet my musical goals.

"Not ready to play...but can me made to" submitted April 22, 2014

By John B in Kingston, WA
Overall
Musical Background: Vocalist all my life, Beginning Bass Guitar Player 2 years.
Music Style: Blue Grass JAM, Country, and Contemporary Christian Worship Music
Overall: I bought this Acoustic BASS so I could practice at home without setting up my Electric BASS every time. From the prior reviews I knew there might a fret buzz issue and was not afraid of it...but I was not expecting it to be totally unplayable out of the box. The E A and D strings all had bad fret Buzz and the D String sounded regardless of the note played in a distorted harmonic rasp. It turns out all the strings were cut in too deeply at the neck...and the truss rod would not adjust well enough to stop the chatter with the strings provided. Instead of sending the faulty neck job back....I took it to a pro-BASS shop and had the neck filled and re-grooved, replaced the tacky stock strings with Phosphor-Bronze and "Eureka" it sounded like an acoustic BASS Guitar. The tone improved greatly as did the tuning capability by adding the Phosphor-Bronze strings, and resetting the neck grooves and truss rods. While the tone is good, the BASS does not have the throat I was hoping for in small group acoustic JAMS. Also, when the guitar was hooked up to a practice amp....the sound barely made it to the speakers. In the big studio amp at church it is fine...but I use my electric bass for that.Something really nice to say: It is beautifully and carefully made everywhere else but the stringing and associated gadgetry. Although the tuning gears were loose and needed tightened...before we could keep the tones in tune. The black finish is as nice as our Yamaha Black Grand and it is a compliment to our home studio. I got a good-looking practice acoustic bass that is satisfactory to play, and beautiful to look at. It took the Guitar Tech about 3 hours to bring it up to playable standards. (You don't want to know what I paid for that). I was disappointed that it was unplayable out of the box, and shame on me for expecting more value than what I paid for. I just thought from prior reviews that it might be better than it turned out to be. This is a practice guitar and a fair acoustic jam BASS and this is about what I would expect to pay for one. If you are a person that likes to play to the headphones of your IPAD or IPHONE, it is perfect acoustically for accompanying ITUNES or YOUTUBE...and is audible enough to be heard through the ear buds.As for ZZounds, the service was lightning fast, shipping was free, and the BASS packaging/box was undamaged. Would I recommend them as an online retailer? YES. But do not expect a low-end guitar to work well out of a shipping box. Most people will need some professional setup help to make it performance acceptable.

"You will not regret this purchase - this is a steal - Buy before they realize thier mistake!!!!" submitted March 22, 2011

Overall
Sound: It's Big and It's Bad (in a good way) sounds awesome, well constructed - was perfectly set up out of the box and it was in tune! It stays in tune! I have not plugged it in yet, but that is not what I bought it for. Feature: I got the Black - awesome finish Ease of Use: Perfect action Quality: Great quality Control on this one. Value: For what I paid I feel bad! Manufacturer Support: Never delt The Wow Factor: Sexy Baby - it is A Big - Black - Bass! Overall: I will keep it forever!

"Great instrument for a great price." submitted February 20, 2005

Overall
Sound: Not very loud, but neither are most acoustic bass. Electronics are good for the price. Feature: Simple acoustic bass guitar. Quality: For the price. Plus I like satin finish. Value: Great value. Should come with a free gig bag. Manufacturer Support: Haven't used it yet. Just got the guitar. The Wow Factor: Always wanted an acoustic bass but nott willing to pay the higher price for a knock around instrument. this one fits the bill.

"Dean EAB" submitted October 22, 2012

By John C in Storm Lake, IA
Overall
Musical Background: Hobbiest/lifelong player/jam@home & with friends. Play guitar & bass
Music Style: Rock, blues, country
Overall: This is a great instrument for the money. Decent action, sounds good, looks good. It's kinda heavy and definitely needs a strap button since the neck is so long that its nearly impossible to balance the thing with the strap tied to the peg head. I put one on the underside or the heel of the neck. It was easy to install and made a huge difference in the comfort factor of playing this bass. All in all I like it and consider it a good value for a decent bass.

"The Dean EAB-CBK Acoustic Bass" submitted August 22, 2012

By Claude R in Houston, TX
Musical Background: BASS, Play professionally
Overall: As experience bass player, for a starter bass or a bass to use for teaching beginners, its very nice. Its a bit large for child but can work for an adult comfortable. The sound quality is good with or without an amp. There is some fret noise and it might a bit irritating but overall you can work around those issues. The construction quality is very nice. For the money its the best buy for getting into an acoustic bass and not have to travel with an amp.

"i heart dean" submitted August 30, 2012

By michelle a in las vegas, NV
Overall
Musical Background: i play bass, and i play at home...for now
Music Style: country mostly but some rock
Overall: I love dean bass guitar, great quality great sound love the black finish on it!! very good value, this is my 2nd dean bass and i love it.

"Decent guitar for a decent price" submitted July 3, 2014

By Christopher Jauregui in Fontana, CA
Overall
Musical Background: I play mainly cello and ukulele. I've taken lessons for cello for about two years from a classically trained teacher.
Music Style: rock, classical, swing, indie,
Overall: The Dean EAB Bass is a great bass overall. it carries a great tone and can easily accompany other acoustic instruments. one problem i had with my bass is that thought the bridge is short, the action is very off the higher on the fret board you go (even after trust rod adjustments) leading to dissonance. particularly at the 12th fret. but either way it still plays great. i would personally take it to shop or luthier to get minor this fixed. the finish is great. the neck is fat but comfortable, and is very sturdy overall (I've dropped it twice with no noticeable surface or internal damage) great for a beginner like myself i have yet to test the electronics but i doubt they are bad

"Good Starter Acoustic Bass" submitted August 22, 2005

By a customer from localnet.com
Musical Background: hobbyist 35 years and counting
Sound: Decent sound,works best in the electric mode if run through a ART pre-amp tube compressor, especially when run direct to mixing board Feature: No accessories,also no top guitar strap bracket,although there was one on the bottom.Passive electronics sub-par. Quality: Poorl dressed frets,very rough to the touch. Overall finish of the wood was decent. Cheesy boxing Value: Decent value, but I should have paid more and gotten a fender acoustic bass with active electronics Manufacturer Support: Never had to contact them The Wow Factor: Not a bad choice for a 1st acoustic bass experience But as always, you get what you pay for Overall: Probably will keep it until I get a reasonable offer from someone to buy it

"The Best Acoutsic Bass??????" submitted January 12, 2006

By dudie face.....
Musical Background: band director
Music Style: punk/techno/rock
Sound: the best acoustic bass i think i ever heard...ugh... great sound very light easy to carry;excesible. Oh and also very hard to like scarth so rather strong. Feature: i dont remember da features but the proably rocked! Quality: made great i dont think i saw a stronger or better shaped or sized guitar from dean ever.... Value: smallest price there is on three to six of the sites ive been on! Manufacturer Support: i havent exactly dealt with em' but seen some of there basses.......wow!!!!! The Wow Factor: if that guitar was a chick man.... Overall: very very very good liked everything about it

When you call, mention priority code 158C-F7SS. Llame Gratis en Español: 800-460-7976