When you call, mention priority code 156M-4YTM

Rating and Reviews: DigiTech Vocal 300 FX

From flattering reverbs to frightening distortion, this vocal effects floor processor has it all -- including an expression pedal. Plug in an XLR mic and go!

"The Purple Magic Box" submitted April 28, 2010

Musical Background: Active Musican
Music Style: Rock, Pop
Sound: Sounds like Cyborg, Chipmunk, are useless. Matter a fact majority of the presets sound amateurish, and should never be used unless you are doing a skit in the comedy club. but there are a small handful of sounds that is worth it's salt. Feature: Can't complain when it comes to features. Where can you buy an FX processor for such a low price that include EQ, Pre-Amp, FX, De-Esser and a pedal that you can assign for multi functions? Ease of Use: The learning curve is not hard compared to other units, but it does take a bit of time to know the gear. The manual is clear. Now I have given this section a 5 not because of it's learning cure, but rather on it's ability to find sounds that are good in a professional setting. This gear is not a plug play situation. It's a hot unit that has tendency to feedback. Quality: It's strong, but after using it for more than a 100 gigs I found that the pedal does not work, and that at rare occasions some bugs pop up. To DigiTech credit I have hauled this thing pretty roughly on the road and it still works. Value: Good value for what you pay. Manufacturer Support: I gave it a 5 cause I did not have to contact the company yet. The Wow Factor: Sex Appeal? I do not know how to answer this effectively. It looks cool in a purple. The design could have some improvements, but that is about it. Overall: The negative thing about this unit is the feedback issue. The gain already at 25% is pushing the limit. The reason I am satisfied with this unit is because with experimentation you can minimize the feedback. In the small handful of sounds you can make this unit sound good by tweaking the EQ, using the de-esser wisely and using some FX sparingly that sounds good to your ear. I have even tested TC Voice Tone pedals and come back to this purple magic box. Where can you buy a gear for this price that has so many features? My jouney to control my own vocal sound came about after many years dealing with incompetent live mix engineers. I found out that many "schooled" mix engineers really do not know what a good vocal should sound. The crafted singers in the end have a better concept of good sound, but sometimes they lack the technical jargon to explain it. What good is a soundman that has Lexicons and TC Electronic gear if he does not have discernment how to use it? Now I am not claiming that the Vocal 300 can even compete in the level of the brands fore mentioned, but what I am saying is that I am a seasoned musician that can make a cheap unit sound better than a soundman that does not know what he is doing. Obviously I do not use this gear in a festival or large venues, but have on occasion use it in a large venue when I heard how the soundman totally screwed up the vocal mix of the previous band that played before me. The key to this gear is know your settings and stick with a one kind of dynamic microphone you are going to use, and you will be fine.
52 of 53 people (98.11%) found this review helpful. Did you?

"great unit for spooky and menacing industrial type vocals." submitted May 29, 2005

Overall
Musical Background: experienced musician, solo artist, and engineer.
Music Style: industrial metal
Sound: the sound quality is great. it avoids the hiss you'd get out of the other vocal processors that are around the same price range, and definitely better than using a lot of stop boxes or what not. Feature: the great thing about this is the character voices you can assign to the patches. judging by some of the names such as Monster, Cyborg, and Alien, i'm guessing this thing was aimed at electronic and industrial musicians who are looking for interesting character vocals to add to their music. i couldn't imagine how they would fit in more mainstream genres of music, but it'd be interesting for one to experiment. Quality: i've given mine quite a beating and it's still perfectly responsive. no complaints in this section. it's a bit heavy, made of metal, and sturdy as hell. the foot pedal has a nice pressure about it, making it easy to push to the exact point you want without going over your range. i think it was well made. Value: personally, i think it's worth the price. i will say it's better for live performances than in recordings, but in recordings you have a good deal of software you can purchase and mess with to get similar effects, though i still use it in recordings. The Wow Factor: well, the box with the "Cyborg" patch displayed on the unit makes it very appealing to people who are fans of Front Line Assembly, Ministry, the Deftones, and other types of bands that use a lot of interesing vocal effects. i don't really think the purple color suits this box...i'd personally prefer red or black or white or something but that's just me. it really doesn't matter what color it is. it looks easy to use and it is. Overall: i think i will continue to use this product until i wear it down to nothing, and then i'll jst buy another one or something more up to date when the time comes.
31 of 35 people (88.57%) found this review helpful. Did you?

"It Actually does work... if you actually need something like this." submitted March 11, 2006

Musical Background: coffee shops
Music Style: acoustic
Sound: This thing does not do anything that a skilled sound engineer could not do for you - if you had one - sitting out at the front of house board... but like I said... "if you had one". Further... it is hard to know what the "house" sounds like from "on stage". On the other hand... this thing actually does work... and you caqn dial in a pretty nice mix for your vocals with it. It is very quiet, and smoooth to operate, and not too hard to figure out even. Admittedly, most of the presets are virtually useless... but you don't need a thousand different settings... right... you just want one or two that sond good. I used this thing to set up two different settings, one for my vocals, and one for when I was playing my harp... and I could switch back and forth pretty easily, and very quietly. I was able to cut all the highs from the harp setting, and boost the reverb considerably.. which is what I wanted to do. Less is usuaally more when it actually comnes down to vocal effects, but this nthing had some nice features, and I was able to get what I wanted out if it. It does not support phantom power, so if fyou are usuiong a condensor mic, you will need to supply your own outbaord phantom power, but that is not too hard to do these days. Again, I don't think you are going to see this thing on Aerosmith's stage, and if you had a good attentive sound engineer, they could probably take care of you just fine... or even better... but if you are like most of us, and having to figure it out yourself, this thing might really be useful to you.... it is not junk, and at $ 200 I guess it is affordable? Feature: Most of the features are not needed... but they actually do work. I use it with most of them turned off, except the EQ, and the reverb. Ease of Use: It was not too hard to get the hang of... pretty simple once you get on to it. Quality: It works fine, and most importantly, I found it to be very quiet in operation... I noticed very little hiss etc. I acutlaly wish the pedals were a little bit bigger but then the whole thing has to get bigger too... I got to wehere I could hit the right pedal pretty easily. Value: Again... only get it if you need it... it would be better to have a real sound engineer atr the FOH station... but... if you need something like this... this one works well for the money. I don't think you will see it on many "true pro" stages... but I have used it to good affect. Manufacturer Support: I did call for tech support regarding the use of phantom power... which this unit does not support... but the support guy was knowledgable, listened to what i was asking, and knew the answers... can't ask for more than that... I also did not have to wait very long to talk to them, which I appreciated. The Wow Factor: It has no sex appeal to me... I would MUCH rather have an actual sound tech... I just can not afford one. I don't think it is actaully "cool" to be hitting a bunch of foot switches during fmy performance... but... it can work. Overall: Like I say... I didn't want to get this, but I wanted something I could switch my mic settings with between when I was singing, and when I was playing the harp... this thing worked for doing that, and it was simple enough that i could take it on stage, plug it in, and use it... with a mimimum of fuss for some sound guy out there who didn't reaaly want to do that much... I also tried an A-B switch for my mic, running it to two different channels on the mixer... which also worked fine... but then the sound tech has to mix the two different channels and pay attention.... with this thing, I can just tell him to run everything flat and dry, and let the 300 take care of the major changes... if the tech is paying attention and wants to fine tune it for the room, he can? There is never a substitute for a good sound tech who is paying attention... but good sound techs that are paying attention are expensive.

"Kewl" submitted August 12, 2013

By Paul S in Billings, MT
Overall
Musical Background: playing guitar since 1974 (ouch), bass and keys since the 90's play live if paid enough, live in a personal recording studio
Music Style: I like to torture top 40 hits 40's to 90's, country to classic rock, you only can be taken seriously if you tweak others work w
Overall: I got one of these when they first came out, no mic models on mine but I've kicked the crap out of it for a long time, no hiss, you can place your custom patches to use it effectively live, I've recorded lots of background vox with it no worries, I'm just happy they are still in production so I can get a new replacement if mine pukes because if you keep the gain at 29 or below (plenty) you get way more headroom live than going straight in to board, and it sounds killer.

"VERY usable product. I've needed something like this for a long time!" submitted March 22, 2012

By Daniel Buchanan in Newton, KS
Overall
Musical Background: I've played guitar and piano for 35 years. My current "love" is production, writing, & recording my own CDs.
Music Style: Every type! Southern Rock, Classic Rock, Hair Band (80's), Country, Progressive Bluegrass, Alternative.
Overall: My voice needs all the help it can get! The Digitech Vocal 300 helps TREMENDOUSLY in putting decent vocal tracks into my recordings. You can control quite a few parameters within each preset, make your own custom presets, & it is VERY easy to do just that. I skimmed through the manual & within probably 10 minutes, I was comfortable with programming this unit. LOVE IT!! (Also, Zzounds is my favorite retailer to deal with. Their Customer Service is SO far above anyone else out there!)

"Fine for halloween parties. Not many useable presets. Bad for vocals, okay for guitar." submitted January 25, 2005

By a customer from cnns.org
Overall
Musical Background: active musician, recording engineer, singer/songwriter
Music Style: folk, alternative, jazz
Sound: The sound quality is fine, perhaps a bit of noise for vocals. The main thing is that none of the presets are really any good. Actually, none of the parameters are very good for vocals unless you're having a halloween party. I've been runing my guitar through it and getting some interesting sounds (so I don't feel like I blew over $200), but other than that, it sucks. Feature: Needs more useable parameters. Also, would be nice if you could backup your custom settings. Mine had a glitch and I lost hours of programming. Quality: It is sturdy and easy to use. Value: It sucks. Don't buy it. Buy a real vocal processor. Spend another two or three hundred, even a thousand. Why throw your money away on this? Manufacturer Support: Haven't dealt with them. I'd ask them to give me my money back.

"Not quite what I was hoping for." submitted October 8, 2013

By Bob Cloyd in Mineral, CA
Overall
Musical Background: 50 years in music, guitar and vocal, some studio,church and home.
Music Style: rock, Christian and others
Overall: It has a great list of sound effects that could be really cool but aren't quite what I was hoping for. It could be the sound system I used it on and my expectations. The sound just weren't as dynamic or drastic of an effect.

DigiTech Vocal 300 FX Customer Review submitted June 13, 2003

Overall
Sound: FEEDBACK CITY BABY!!!! This a simple toy for clowns tht don't use a real system. Everytime I used it, my sound guy wanted to smash the thing on me by the end of the night. Feature: Features were great, if using at home to practice.

When you call, mention priority code 156M-4YTM. Llame Gratis en Español: 800-460-7976