When you call, mention priority code 12CL-2C5P

Rating and Reviews: Digidesign Mbox 2

USB-powered Pro Tools LE 8 audio/MIDI workstation provides a wide range of analog and digital I/O for musicians on the move.

"Glad I bought it!" submitted March 30, 2009

Musical Background: Active Musician/recording engineer
Music Style: Prog Rock
Sound: The sound is very good. with a high end mic pre the sound is excellent Feature: guitar models in pro tools le are nice, but my line 6 pod still sounds better. the rest of the plug ins are really good Ease of Use: make sure your cpu is compliant. took about a month to get comfy with it. Quality: so far so good Value: quality sound at a very affordable price Manufacturer Support: ? Overall: I was worried about latency, not really a big problem with this device. files are big and you don't want to store them on your OS drive. wish I could record more than 2 tracks at a time, but for the $ it's a fair trade.
11 of 12 people (91.67%) found this review helpful. Did you?

"Happy me!" submitted January 16, 2007

By a customer from mweb.co.za
Musical Background: Recording musician
Music Style: Mood music
Sound: The quality is good IMHO. I write for TV and have had no comebacks Feature: Some handy plugins with the factory bundle. Ease of Use: Software is great for audio recording. The only major setback for me was automatic delay compensation - which makes the use of the UAE cards a bit cumbersome. Quality: No problems Value: Worth it! Manufacturer Support: Good user forums but local support not good. The Wow Factor: Software has some personality, but hardware pretty dull - but that's not what it is about. Overall: I've had my MBox2 for over a year now and work on it almost every day. I've not had any snags with it and the quality has been more than good enough for my home project studio. Some people feel it should have been able to handle higher sample rates, but hey, higher sample rates is not the only quality issue. Stuff like mic's etc. are much more important, and the most important is the music you make.
24 of 27 people (88.89%) found this review helpful. Did you?

"Good product!" submitted August 13, 2006

Overall
Sound: Good product, sounds good for its size and everything. Feature: Features are okay, this is my entry level hardware. Works well for people recording their own songs. Does have some nice features, some i didn't even know about. Ease of Use: please read this and really understand! applies to this, and all other recording devices. Although this one is very easy to use, if this is your first hardware, you will not be able to take it out of the box and use it seamlessly. I don't care who you are. I highly recommend reading the manual about it and especially pro tools before you screw something up. It took me days of playing with it before i finally broke down and pulled out the manual and the pro tools dvd. It makes a world of difference when you do!!!! Quality: Great! I have carried it all over the place, and it hasn't had any troubles. I have not dropped it or anything like that, and i put it in a secure place, but it has held up well. Although, i do not recommend dropping it to test it... Value: Pretty good price since it includes pro tools. Manufacturer Support: Tried to register it and the thing was in Japanese and know one knew why? hmm... who cares, i gave up. The Wow Factor: looks cool, design is good. Overall: Good product, recommended for sure for entry level recorders! It is tough though, considering it only has two inputs. I do find it difficult to keep time between drums, guitar, etc and to mix them all seamlessly. If you are a small band starting to record, definitely get something bigger, like the Lexicon Lamda or Omega, depending...

"Very powerful Audio and MIDI interface w/ bundled software" submitted March 13, 2007

Overall
Sound: It has nice pres. Used it for both vocal and instrument recordings, and the result was excellent. Without a preamp, the recorded sound didn't requir eq when mixing. Also a perfect sounding audio card when playing vsti or soft synths. It has high gain for outputs. Feature: When recording in digital (via spdif) no problem but when u are playing, u can not hear the sound of what u play. There should be a monitor option for that. And USB 1.1 of course...It is old! But ProTools LE is top-end software I think. And very powerful. Ease of Use: Very easy...That's all. Quality: Switches and knobs could be better...They look a little chinese. Value: A little bit pricy. Manufacturer Support: Very bad...Very bad...Very baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaadddd...I don't live in USA. And I've solved my problems by myself or with the forums via internet. But none of them with the support of digidesign. The Wow Factor: It is the heart of my mobile music wokstation. Overall: Happy with it.
12 of 14 people (85.71%) found this review helpful. Did you?

"Pro capabilities without the Pro price tag." submitted November 29, 2009

Music Style: various
Sound: I am very impressed with my new MBox 2. I thought I was downgrading from my old Digi 001 setup, but now I'm not so sure. IN the 8 or 9 years since I purchased that setup, I think the MBox 2 does now what the Digi 001 did then. That said, you will get the most out of your MBox 2 with a little audio engineering savvy. Those who gave this device poor reviews were either inexperienced, impatient, or both. I'm sure the only competition out there is the Duet from Apogee. Feature: The Mic Pre's are impressive and I love the new plug-ins. The Factory Bundle is the way to go. Ease of Use: It is difficult to rate the ease of use because I have been a Pro Tools user for over a decade now. I find it very intuitive at this point. To me, Garageband makes no sense but I know that is the easiest thing in the world for others. I think if you can put in the time the learning curve is not really that steep with Pro Tools if you have a basic background in audio engineering. It's just a computer based multi-track recorder to me, but with all the advantages that come with non-destructive editing and computer-based engineering in general. Quality: Again, I thought I was downgrading from Digi 001, but I think the MBox 2 is comparable. A solid little interface that is heavier than I expected. I travel with my MBox 2 and I expect I will be using this very device for some time. Well made. Value: You get what you pay for. Yes, there are cheaper systems out there and they are just that: cheaper. I shopped around and after looking for 6 months got a great deal on an MBox 2 with the Factory Bundle. You really get your money's worth when you go for the Factory Bundle. Manufacturer Support: Thankfully I've not needed any support, but from past experience it seems we are very much on our own. Look to online forums. With the pervasiveness of the Internet there are a lot of experienced users out there helping out the masses. Digidesign owes their experienced users a debt of gratitude for picking up their slack on the customer support. The Wow Factor: It's sexier now that I have it in my hands, but I didn't think so going in. Overall: I think this product will outlast my computer. I can't imagine needing to replace it for quite some time.

"You Cant go wrong, if you expect perfection you should check yourself" submitted March 23, 2009

Overall
Sound: I have read all of the reviews that most of these folks have submitted. Looks like most people agree it has great sound. I agree it really makes a huge difference in the quality of sound it produces. For a home set up I am very impressed with this audio interface. Feature: The package came with many features. You just need to load up the software and start exploring. My best advice is for you to take a chance in product that for all purposes is a great sound card interface Ease of Use: Protools is a difficult program to use. Evidently with all of the professionals using this program if you expected a easy application then you can forget it. Protools is not Reasons or Abelton who in their own right command respect. Protools if for the live production however with Protools 8 it appears they are looking to move into a VST or RST setting which is comforting however not the norm from the older versions of Protools. You will really need to understand the engineering portion of Protools to really respect what it is capable. The best help you understand I will put in very simple terms. Protools default settings are just that, they are simple and require some enginerring audio knowledge to really get the most out of it. Quality: I am impressed with it. Sorry if I disappoint those who have sworn it to be the worst product. I am very happy with it. Value: They say this is the best interface. At this point I tend to agree. Manufacturer Support: In this capacity I must agree with the comments made by all. The customer support is perhaps the worst I have ever experienced. I do want to make it clear they have a good system to ensure all inquires are answered however it is the set up and the response that make for a poor experience. The Wow Factor: Read what you will about protools and its intended buyers regardless of its somewhat difficult complexity it still allows basic user to use or at least sample what the pros use. Take the chance its worth it. Overall: I believe this is a good product. I have on real compliant which is to say you can only use it for one application at a time which is to say if you have any other application that requires the use of the interface it will only allow you to work with that application. You will need to close down said application for the interface to work with any other application such as Reasons or Abelton. I think that for such a great interface they should have worked on this. I will have seperate sound card to run all other applications. I am to understand that the tascam is not a bad interface.

"First, the MBOX 2 Factory kicks all the competition out there right now in th b@lls and second, immediately punches it in the fa" submitted September 23, 2007

Overall
Musical Background: musicaly active, recording/mixing engineer, producer.
Music Style: hip hop, rock, fusion, neil Young.
Sound: It sounds just as good as any other pro-tools interfaces at this price level, and even other program interfaces or soundcards. BUT! When you add a mic, nice mic pre-amp, good guitarist it sounds amazing! Feature: Negatives: could use a firewire out instead of usb 2, also an RCA out woulda worked nice for some mixers...the midi was kinda pointless since USB based midi stuff is where its at for speed and reliability. (I used to hate midi until USB MIDI came along). Also, the outs coulda been xlr 1/4" combo's... Finally...the shape is kinda funny. Not "haha" funny but yaknow. Positives: ALL round nice looking, sounding, and portable. The addition of the "monitor" level was friggen brill! Very nice features that are easy to use. The budget pass to the big leagues. I've sent tracks of here in PT sessions to Los Angeles for mixing and they were great. l Ease of Use: If you had the mbox 1 then this is a walk in a park...A nicer cleaner park with better trails! The simple plug and play is pricss Quality: looks nice, fits decent except for the handle kinda makes it wobbley. Built like a tank. I use it on the road all the time. More cheap hotel room recordings you'd imagine. Value: could be cheaper since there is the friggen mbox PRO, 003, and 003 with the mixing interface!!! Manufacturer Support: poor. elusive. The Wow Factor: It is nice, easy to use, world class. Your pass into the realm of Pro Tools! I could make great music without it, but it's made tracking and mixing and the overall sound quality Im looking for and i waste WAY less time that should be used creai Overall: I plan on using it untill th 004, or "003 pro crack edition" comes along!

"FRUSTRATED!!!! NO SUPPORT!!!!" submitted April 29, 2007

Musical Background: Recording Artist, and Soon to Be Engineer
Music Style: Front Porch Funk
Sound: In 2005 released an album that was recorded in a bedroom using pro-tools. If you want to get a good production it's more than capable. Feature: It can get tideous editing with a mouse, hurts the neck. If the Digidesign mixer wasn't so expensive things would be much easier. I can't even figure out how to get the program running now though. It may need an upgrade. I just upgraded because I got a new computer that's intel-baised. It's not my computer. It worked last night and not now. I've never been able to speak with a digi support tech. The company actually has a recording that says due to high call volume we are unable to take your call, click. Ease of Use: I'm actually quite surprised at how easy it is to use when it's running. Quality: I actually may be dealing with physical problems now. This MBox2 was purchased in December of 2005. It should last longer than two years, ya think? Can't get help with it though. Very frustrating!!! Value: It's pretty expensive to not have the support that's often needed. Manufacturer Support: I cannot reach anyone ever!!! They actually hang up on you if you've been on hold too long. The Wow Factor: I like that it's pretty small. I don't really get the handle that it rests on. It kind of puts preassure on the chords in the back. I like that it's very simple. Overall: I would love to be able to have this program work correctly. I don't want to search for another recording program. Besides I've way too much money into it and it's supposed to be the best. I just wish they'd answer their phone.

"DON'T BUY!" submitted March 31, 2007

Overall
Sound: Noisy as hell Feature: DON'T BUY MBOX!I have never regreted a purchase more than this. I was talked into this instead of the Omega by some idiot kid at Guitar Center (I guess I'm now the bigger idiot.)Everything I read about the nightmares people were having came true. The Digidesign support is a nightmare. I couldn't even register it online. It said there was a syntax error and gave me websites to go to so I could research syntax problems. I couldn't even go back a page to see what I inputed. After a week of trying to lay down a simple track, I called customer service. I waited over an hour and got an arrogant jerk who determined I need a new computer. Even though mine is 1.8 gig with a gig of ram. I purchaced a new computer, paid extra for overnite Sat. delivery, and it won't authorize. Plus the box is noisy as hell. DON'T BUY! Ease of Use: DON'T BUY MBOX!I have never regreted a purchase more than this. I was talked into this instead of the Omega by some idiot kid at Guitar Center (I guess I'm now the bigger idiot.)Everything I read about the nightmares people were having came true. The Digidesign support is a nightmare. I couldn't even register it online. It said there was a syntax error and gave me websites to go to so I could research syntax problems. I couldn't even go back a page to see what I inputed. After a week of trying to lay down a simple track, I called customer service. I waited over an hour and got an arrogant jerk who determined I need a new computer. Even though mine is 1.8 gig with a gig of ram. I purchaced a new computer, paid extra for overnite Sat. delivery, and it won't authorize. Plus the box is noisy as hell. DON'T BUY! Value: I'm over $1200 into this and haven't laid down a track Manufacturer Support: The Digidesign support is a nightmare. I couldn't even register it online. It said there was a syntax error and gave me websites to go to so I could research syntax problems. I couldn't even go back a page to see what I inputed. After a week of trying to lay down a simple track, I called customer service. I waited over an hour and got an arrogant jerk who determined I need a new computer. Even though mine is 1.8 gig with a gig of ram. I purchaced a new computer, paid extra for overnite Sat. delivery, and it won't authorize. Plus the box is noisy as hell. DON'T BUY! Overall: I'm over $1200 into this and haven't laid down a track

"DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY ON THIS" submitted December 31, 2009

Music Style: classical
Sound: This product has been a real disappointment... it seems very "mickey mouse" and cheap... there is a terrible humming noise in left channel inputs (and microphone output)... it has failed a few times... very very poor quality Ease of Use: Sound is bad... distortion and extraneous VERY LOUD humming noises in all inputs and outputs!! Quality: Poor quality -- see above comments Manufacturer Support: Online help is useless; call center useless -- actually get message (after holding for hours) that support people are OUT TO LUNCH (no joke!); I was on hold for more than 4 hours, passed to 5 different techs, had to explain my problem, and start over in the queue each time -- VERY FRUSTRATING!

"yeah its okie, but not worht the money" submitted September 2, 2008

Musical Background: engineer
Music Style: dubstep,rock
Sound: Its sounds decent, but nothing compared to the full hd converters or the rme, apogee e.t.c. The converters in the emu 1616 aRE ten times better than theese, and the emu cost less, its crazy . Feature: not enuff, drivers faulty for windows Ease of Use: its easy cause its made for newbies. Quality: cheaply made

"Don't buy unless you own a Mac." submitted January 29, 2009

By a customer from myaddress.com
Musical Background: 46 years listening to music
Feature: I record audios for training programs. It has all the inputs and features I need. It just doesn't work. Ease of Use: I have 10 years experience creating audios with professional equipment. I am freelancing more and bought this just to do simple audio tracks. This product comes with a software mixer. I can't record for more than a few seconds before a message box pops up. If I follow the instructions, I get another popup telling me to undo what i just did. What you've heard about Tech Support is true it is terrible. I also was told to replace my one year old 1.78g Core Duo with 4 gigs of Ram & a 250 gig EXTERNAL HD. Quality: Hardware seems fine, software not so much Value: I'm sorry but it could be $10 and it wouldn't be worth the price. Manufacturer Support: Long hold times, no solution was offered. Rep was apathetic at best. Tech support window was brief, 3 months. Overall: I am going to buy a Mac soon, so maybe that will help. I am thinking though that I will probably buy a real mixer like I wanted in the first place.

When you call, mention priority code 12CL-2C5P. Llame Gratis en Español: 800-460-7976